Benedict to be on WTIC Today | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Benedict to be on WTIC Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was actually impressed with the questions Gresh asked during Benedict's time on the show.

Reaction Score
Please explain how the answers were interesting, as I am hoping that I missed something. Rhetoric about how UConn has to improve to be P5 worthy, which we all know UConn is already P5 worthy. He repeated essentially the same talk he has been making since his arrival...win football games, attend games, improve facilities, give money, and an invite will come, but don't get your hopes up because there is nothing he can do about it.

Reaction Score
Please explain how the answers were interesting, as I am hoping that I missed something. Rhetoric about how UConn has to improve to be P5 worthy
All of his answers were interesting. I'd paraphrase his overall message as follows:
Since UConn is currently in the AAC we will be a proud supportive member of the AAC. Any fruitless hoping, scheming or begging for a different outcome simply saps the vibrancy of our institution as it aims for athletic supremacy in the conference. That's the reality. On the other hand, UConn has the athletic pedigree, facilities, academics, demographics and cable metrics to be attractive to any conference, including the Big XII, ACC and the B1G, should any of them decide to further expand their respective footprint. No amount of pandering will make it happen any sooner. Thus, for now our focus needs to be on achieving success on the playing fields, getting folks in the stadium for an enhanced experience, fixing complaints re parking and concessions and supporting our university’s many bold academic, athletic and research initiatives. Thank you and goodnight.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So don't hold them responsible. It's not their fault. They are just along for the ride - but make sure you donate enough so they have an argument to get paid.

Smart leadership though - it's the fault of those who came before us.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
And making our facilities nation class like new baseball and soccer stadiums.
He brought up baseball in particular and said some southern high schools have better facilities than we do.
This makes sense for the badly needed overhauls that are needed beyond state of the art basketball and football practice facilities we have.
But at some point one has to revert back to the "football drives the bus" mentality and ask what really is at play here.
And that was the time spent on filling Rentschler seats and beating P5 teams.

Reaction Score
He also said our conference is the closest one to a P-5. Interestingly, while we all know the stark realities of needing to be in a P-5, it was interesting for me to see how the Bleacher Report's App displayed the football conferences. We're listed right there among the "Major Conferences" not the "More Conferences". That's small solace no doubt but better than it could have been---and perception does count for something.
image.png

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So don't hold them responsible. It's not their fault. They are just along for the ride - but make sure you donate enough so they have an argument to get paid.

Smart leadership though - it's the fault of those who came before us.
What could he have said that wouldn't elicit snark from you? I'm thinking nothing.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What could he have said that wouldn't elicit snark from you? I'm thinking nothing.

He gives the same answer everytime:

There is nothing they can do other than hope a league expands and calls them.

I guess I miss where the 'leadership' is when that is always the message.

Reaction Score
All of his answers were interesting. I'd paraphrase his overall message as follows:
Since UConn is currently in the AAC we will be a proud supportive member of the AAC. Any fruitless hoping, scheming or begging for a different outcome simply saps the vibrancy of our institution as it aims for athletic supremacy in the conference. That's the reality. On the other hand, UConn has the athletic pedigree, facilities, academics, demographics and cable metrics to be attractive to any conference, including the Big XII, ACC and the B1G, should any of them decide to further expand their respective footprint. No amount of pandering will make it happen any sooner. Thus, for now our focus needs to be on achieving success on the playing fields, getting folks in the stadium for an enhanced experience, fixing complaints re parking and concessions and supporting our university’s many bold academic, athletic and research initiatives. Thank you and goodnight.
I do believe that there is a difference between pandering and lobbying. Remember, UConn was resting on its laurels, while Mr. Jurich was aggressively lobbying for Louisville. I was never one for standing back and waiting for something to happen.

Reaction Score
I do believe that there is a difference between pandering and lobbying. Remember, UConn was resting on its laurels, while Mr. Jurich was aggressively lobbying for Louisville. I was never one for standing back and waiting for something to happen.

I don't think anyone knows the full story on ACC decision in 2012. Jurich did tout his promotional efforts on half of LV, but who knows what impact that had. I think there was still lingering dislike of UConn among the defendants of the unfortunate law suit in 2003. But still nobody ever thought the ACC would piss away the last vestiges of its academic reputation by adding Trailer Truck Institute (a/k/a LV). And it was a mistake for them to do so. LV is still a suck school that now has a big time stench in its athletic department.

Way to go ACC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01