Beer | Page 144 | The Boneyard

Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I saw Jai Alai in Manhattan bodegas. And on tap.

My father brings it back from florida.

Its not a bad beer but it doesnt knock me down. Pretty run of the mill decent IPA

Reaction Score
Since we just hired Hurley, Proclamation brewing out of Warwick, RI is very very good. They actually just moved there from Kingston which is why I bring it up. Worth a stop if ever in the area.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So there's no way I'm wading through this entire thread, but need some direction. I've recently acquired a taste for New England (i.e., unfiltered) IPA, and would like to get some guidance.

What's the best readily available New England IPA?

Do any of the New York breweries (I'm NYC-based now) do a good New England IPA?

Thanks in advance, you alcoholics.

Best is subjective. My favorites are from Treehouse, Trillium, Foley Brothers and Hill Farmstead. Best readily available? I think that depends on your location. In NY? Probably those I mention below.

NY makes some good ones. Other Half in Brooklyn is great but hard to get, Singlecut in Queens (Softly Spoken Magic Spells is the best and most NE IPA like in my opinion), Grimm Artisanal Ales, Finback makes several good ones, and some others. NY has really stepped up. I happen to think Captain Lawrence is not one of them. Some may argue.

Top Rated Beers: New York (US)

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
My father brings it back from florida.

Its not a bad beer but it doesnt knock me down. Pretty run of the mill decent IPA

Agreed it is just "good". That said, it's a widely distributed shelf beer available in gas stations and the like down there. I don't think we have anything quite that good that is cheap and easy to buy anywhere. Drank a lot of it on a Disney Cruise a few years ago.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Singlecut in Queens (Softly Spoken Magic Spells is the best and most NE IPA like in my opinion)... I happen to think Captain Lawrence is not one of them.

Like for these comments. I've enjoyed the all Singlecut I've had while all the Capt. Lawrence is meh. Not to mention that split second of regret I always get when I realize it doesn't say Capt. Daughter.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Like for these comments. I've enjoyed the all Singlecut I've had while all the Capt. Lawrence is meh. Not to mention that split second of regret I always get when I realize it doesn't say Capt. Daughter.

I drain poured the last Captain Lawrence I tried. It was just pure bitterness with nothing else. The anti-NE IPA if there is such a thing. As for Singlecut, thankfully it is canned now so they've moved on from the ridiculous $8 a 500ml bottle pricing. Wish Maine brewing would do that. I'd buy MO all the time.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
Best is subjective. My favorites are from Treehouse, Trillium, Foley Brothers and Hill Farmstead. Best readily available? I think that depends on your location. In NY? Probably those I mention below.

NY makes some good ones. Other Half in Brooklyn is great but hard to get, Singlecut in Queens (Softly Spoken Magic Spells is the best and most NE IPA like in my opinion), Grimm Artisanal Ales, Finback makes several good ones, and some others. NY has really stepped up. I happen to think Captain Lawrence is not one of them. Some may argue.

I had a can of Singlecut that had a Hello Kitty on the label. I still don't know what it is called (and I could even read some of the Japanese writing on the label). It was a session beer but tasted like some of the best double IPA's I've ever had.

Reaction Score
So there's no way I'm wading through this entire thread, but need some direction. I've recently acquired a taste for New England (i.e., unfiltered) IPA, and would like to get some guidance.

What's the best readily available New England IPA?

Do any of the New York breweries (I'm NYC-based now) do a good New England IPA?

Thanks in advance, you alcoholics.

Are there any Hookers in Manhattan? What I mean to say is, Hooker No Filter is a really good NE IPA. Has Hooker Brewery made it to NYC?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I had a can of Singlecut that had a Hello Kitty on the label. I still don't know what it is called (and I could even read some of the Japanese writing on the label). It was a session beer but tasted like some of the best double IPA's I've ever had.

That’s called “Some Cat From Japan”. I never get that in MA. Would like to try it.

Reaction Score
Back at monkish. Still have phantom carriage, offshoot, and green cheek lines up between tomorrow and Sunday just for hazies.

Artifex, dry river, eagle rock, frogtown, highland park, indie, dry river, and iron triangle in the plans as well. Went to three weavers earlier today, was half decent

Citra and galaxy is easily the best hop combination for hazies

Last edited:

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
(Softly Spoken Magic Spells is the best and most NE IPA like in my opinion)
Tried it, and kind of meh as it's too citrusy. Gonna keep sampling tho – thanks for the recs!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

Captain Lawrence puts on Powdered Dreams which is deeply entrenched as a Top 5 beer for me. Gots that lupulin powder innit.

@Matrim55 look for Singlecut. They have great dry-hopped IPAs. And from CT Hooker's "No Filter" might be in NYC stores.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
@Matrim55 look for Singlecut. They have great dry-hopped IPAs. And from CT Hooker's "No Filter" might be in NYC stores.
Just did the Singlecut Softly Spoken Magic Spells and yeah, too citrusy. Found Captain's Daughter and I like that more, but still not quite yeasty enough.

I'm enjoying the hunt tho, for sure.

Reaction Score
Hooker on fire yet again with super duper double citra. Might be their best ipa yet.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Father in law said Sam’s New England IPA is on par with treehouse. Any one have it?
While I think some tree house beers are quite overrated, I don’t think Sam Adams is on par. The New England is the same unfiltered style, but it’s not on par. Tree house is a top brewery on the east coast.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Just had one of the Sams NEIPA. Definitely hits the style but it’s not as flavorful as the true micros

Reaction Score
Was at Stubborn Beauty in Middletown yesterday. Orange Ball of Love. Fantastic. They don’t have it in cans yet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom