Bad combine day for DHAM | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Bad combine day for DHAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
DraftExpress panned his preform acne at the combine and that hiring his agent hasn't done him any favors.

I feel awful for the kid. Yeah, we all want UConn to be great next year. But this is the kid's livelihood. I'm pretty sure he didn't envision himself going undrafted and going to Europe a month ago. I hope some luck finds its way to DHam soon.
autocorrect is a hell of a drug.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
However, as a sum of it's parts type of thing, I'm wondering if our offensive execution might be a little more fluid next year without Hamilton and Gibbs on the floor at the same time. Fewer late shot clock circus shots would be nice.
Still hoping Hamilton manages to get a back door into the draft.

I think that some teams are hurt when their players are too similar in weaker areas as opposed to being more complementary with each other. Many would agree that the Husky offense was not at its best when Daniel was trying to become "the guy." Ball movement stopped while he was dribbling and trying to find a way to penetrate inside. This was similar to the "over-dribbling" that we saw from Sterling.

Another issue affecting DHam's fit on the team was the inconsistency in being solid with the ball that we also saw with Rodney. Too many turnovers and questionable/poor decisions, and missed bunnies limited how good last year's team could be. Daniel would have been an asset next year in general, but I think he would have been best if he stopped trying to be the guy the offense ran through and looked for his offense in the flow of the game rather than forcing it.

It is certainly likely that our freshman will make a lot of mistakes, but hopefully with 2 real PG's running the show, the offense will be more dynamic and not so easy to defend. I'm hoping that the pieces will come to fit together pretty well and we will see some exciting growth over the course of the year.

Reaction Score
If he didn't envision himself possibly going undrafted, then he got some pretty horrific advice. To be honest, this combine performance is more a confirmation of what we already knew than a shocking outlier that tanks his stock. He was always a reach in this draft -- maybe 2nd round was plausible, but 1st round was never going to happen.

The way the NBA works these days, the difference between 2nd round and undrafted isn't so great anyway.

That said, I hope for Hamilton's own sake and for the sake of our program's reputation he finds his way into this draft somehow. It would be a huge embarrassment to declare, sign with an agent immediately, and then go undrafted.

It does nothing to the program, there are multiple examples of DHam's every single year, what he did and his eventual outcome aren't anything out of the ordinary. I also don't think he got really bad advice, it just seems like dude didn't want to play in college anymore. Neither him nor his brother are anything special as NBA prospects, but his brother had a much better year scoring and shooting wise, yet he never even entertained the draft process and he's a year older. I don't think someone told him you're not getting drafted but told DHam he was a definite first rounder, DHam just decided to take the leap and be done with it.

C

Chief00

Trying to find something positive in this mess. If he goes undrafted at least he may have more chance to connect with a team that is the better fit for his game. Daniels may have been better off taking that route.

Reaction Score
Trying to find something positive in this mess. If he goes undrafted at least he may have more chance to connect with a team that is the better fit for his game. Daniels may have been better off taking that route.
Daniels would have been better off without injuries.

Reaction Score

Isn't the theory that it is better to go undrafted than be a 2nd round pick? This is a sad scenario all-around, but is anyone actually surprised? DHam is talented, but he lacks in some unbelievably crucial areas (athleticism, handle, shooting) that would potentially make him look totally out of place against better athletes/similar talent. Hell, there were times during the last two years where this was evident, too.

Reaction Score
D-Ham in the postseason: 18.2 PPG, 10.8 RPG, 4.4 APG on 39/30/83 splits (6 free throw attempts per game), 1.4 TO/G

Yes, the team struggled for most of the season, and D-Ham was a major reason why. But they also kind of put it together down the stretch, and it was clear D-Ham was making a leap.

I tend to think some people are rationalizing their optimism for next years team by emphasizing his periods of poor play. I don't see it that way - he was inefficient, yes, but he was inefficient in a way that could be managed, and most importantly, supported by a great defense.

Reaction Score
Is this a joke? These guys are the definition of anomaly and only a fool would use Malone and Barkley to say Hamilton may have a decent NBA career. I honestly can't stop laughing at this.
My post was directed solely at the idea that a player with poor vertical leap cannot rebound is not universally accurate.

But I am glad to bring some humor into your life - that alone made my day

Reaction Score
D-Ham in the postseason: 18.2 PPG, 10.8 RPG, 4.4 APG on 39/30/83 splits (6 free throw attempts per game), 1.4 TO/G

Yes, the team struggled for most of the season, and D-Ham was a major reason why. But they also kind of put it together down the stretch, and it was clear D-Ham was making a leap.

I tend to think some people are rationalizing their optimism for next years team by emphasizing his periods of poor play. I don't see it that way - he was inefficient, yes, but he was inefficient in a way that could be managed, and most importantly, supported by a great defense.
He is not coming back ,so dwelling on what he did or might do in the future is insane.
Move on this guy is history.From a UConn team perspective a not so glorious history.
We don't accept 2rd round blowouts and certainly not NIT a memorable
Good Luck to him in his future endeavors however we have 2016-2017 team shaping up which is my chief concern,
I personally think we will be pretty good , maybe even very good by late 2017
We will see
The proof of the pudding is in the eating

Reaction Score
What he's saying is ridiculous. He's not sure if we're better off having Hamilton come back or not, when as you pointed we definitely would be most of the time.

Sure, the scenario where Hamilton leaves and all the necessary moving parts fall into place and we're a better team down the line because of the additional experience will occur some small percentage of time. The scenario where the freshman get thrown into the fire too soon and lose confidence and never become they players they are capable of will also happen some small percentage of the time. What will happen the huge majority of the time is we will replace a junior year Daniel Hamilton with a player(s) that is not as productive, and we won't be as good a team.

Again, we're literally debating whether or not it would be better for us to have the junior year version of a player who put up 32, 12, & 8 while playing 55 minutes in the 4 OT game against Cincinnati. It's totally ridiculous.

Again would we actually be better next year with him? - yes more than likely

In love with yourself too much FF? Read the text AWipe. It's there for for you s smart as you are!

Now explain how you can be so stupid? Please try AW?

Too precio-us you're such an a**!@

Reaction Score
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 1m1 minute ago
One guy numerous NBA executives said made a mistake signing with an agent— Daniel Hamilton. Should have gone back to UConn for another year.

The only thing worse than the outcome itself is having to imagine Goodman's ugly, smug face as he was writing this. He's taken pleasure in tting on Hamilton since he was in high school.

Reaction Score
Again would we actually be better next year with him? - yes more than likely

In love with yourself too much FF? Read the text AWipe. It's there for for you s smart as you are!

Now explain how you can be so stupid? Please try AW?

Too precio-us you're such an a**!@

It is simple. If he doesn't understand an opinion, it must be a stupid opinion made by a stupid person. It can't possibly be that he is too stupid to understand it.

Reaction Score
Goodman's a baffoon but I mean that's what posters around here predicted, right? He didn't want to stay another year so I don't think he'll have many regrets.

Reaction Score
It is simple. If he doesn't understand an opinion, it must be a stupid opinion made by a stupid person. It can't possibly be that he is too stupid to understand it.
You get that I can see your interactions with other posters on this board right?

Excluding my responses, you still can't go 10 posts without someone pointing out that you're a total embarrassment to intelligence and critical thought.

Reaction Score

there is an argument about why taking bad shots might help the offense, derozen comes to mind but there have been articles published on this topic with other pro players. Thing is, hamilton is not even in this catagory, he does so many destructive things to a team offense i can't consider him a 'plus' offensive player AT THE COLLEGE LEVEL. He hunted assists and held onto the ball far too long, he also seemed to allergic to any catch n shoot opportunities. He's the least efficient uconn player , with adequate usage, i can recall. Nobody has ever been given the keys to produce so little.

the optimism in next year lies in Adams and gilbert being who we think they can be, dominant pick n roll options and ball handlers. There is also a monster question mark with Larrier, who apparently is a 6'9 paul george esque player ( his words); if larrier can be a more assertive offensive option than dham next season we will have a much diff/efficient look ( not afraid to let them fly, catch n shoots, go off in transition as opposed to pounding laces).

Reaction Score
Where is Ms Hamilton in all this? She defended him to no end all season and now is nowhere to be found. Hmmmmm.

Reaction Score
there is an argument about why taking bad shots might help the offense, derozen comes to mind but there have been articles published on this topic with other pro players. Thing is, hamilton is not even in this catagory, he does so many destructive things to a team offense i can't consider him a 'plus' offensive player AT THE COLLEGE LEVEL. He hunted assists and held onto the ball far too long, he also seemed to allergic to any catch n shoot opportunities. He's the least efficient uconn player , with adequate usage, i can recall. Nobody has ever been given the keys to produce so little.

the optimism in next year lies in Adams and gilbert being who we think they can be, dominant pick n roll options and ball handlers. There is also a monster question mark with Larrier, who apparently is a 6'9 paul george esque player ( his words); if larrier can be a more assertive offensive option than dham next season we will have a much diff/efficient look ( not afraid to let them fly, catch n shoots, go off in transition as opposed to pounding laces).
Couldn't have said it any better, this is why I don't understand the backlash against the DHam "hurt" the team comments. Is he a cancer or anything like that no, but fans could sit back and watch all those close losses pile up, see those atrocious shooting nights thrown up by DHam, the ballstopping, the indecisiveness, and not think his play on offense was problematic? Grabbing 8-10 boards only grants a certain amount of leeway, and DHam's play on offense against teams with a pulse wasn't cutting it.

Reaction Score

I don't disagree that there were times when he was a net negative offensive player, but taking his statistics in their entirely is going to paint a different picture than what I'm doing, which is illuminating his better moments (like Cincinnati in the AACT when he was nailing jumpers on Ellis and Clark in high leverage spots) and projecting forward. It makes sense, considering juniors are typically much better than sophomores, that as his skill set evolved so would have the offense.

That's all immaterial now, though, and it's a fair point that maybe his prototype (volume shooting forward who isn't necessarily comfortable in catch and shoot situations) isn't best to complement what Ollie wants to run. I'm tempering my expectations on Gilbert, but even had Hamilton returned, I think there is a good chance Adams would have gotten the keys sooner or later anyways).

Reaction Score
Couldn't have said it any better, this is why I don't understand the backlash against the DHam "hurt" the team comments. Is he a cancer or anything like that no, but fans could sit back and watch all those close losses pile up, see those atrocious shooting nights thrown up by DHam, the ballstopping, the indecisiveness, and not think his play on offense was problematic? Grabbing 8-10 boards only grants a certain amount of leeway, and DHam's play on offense against teams with a pulse wasn't cutting it.
Agreed, this shouldn't be controversial.

Reaction Score
Hamilton came on campus under the assumption he would have the "keys" and ability to flaunt (now fully realized to be fraudulent) offensive prowess and elite guard pnr ability , as well as shooting. This is a fact and I'm not running around claiming to be an insider like others , but dham and his camp(family) would be in KOs ear after EVERY game talking about the +/- of his game in front of scouts. 'Long term discussions'. Facts from people on the team , kid was the golden child.

Once he realized the feedback , he wisely decided that , while younger, this was the right time to throw the hat in the ring. It's that simple really. I honestly thought he made the right decision and both sides will be better off.

Ollie's player development style is intriguing but hinges on larrier coming in as a real prospect and Adams making a SERIOUS leap into all league consideration.

Reaction Score
You get that I can see your interactions with other posters on this board right?

Excluding my responses, you still can't go 10 posts without someone pointing out that you're a total embarrassment to intelligence and critical thought.
You get that I don't care what you see or think, right?

But I see a picture forming here. You are insanely insecure. You are/were an incredible disappointment to your father, aren't you? Listen, nothing you say on an internet board will change how big of a failure you are. Do the honorable thing....

Reaction Score
No need to bash DHam. He had his flaws, as most sophomores would. He has a unique skillset and I wish him well. He would have really benefitted from another year of college though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom