Bad combine day for DHAM | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Bad combine day for DHAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I don't understand how people continue to make " he can't improve his game" argument.

How many times do we have to see college kids significantly improve their game / draft position by staying in college before it begins to sink in?

I happen to believe Hamilton was a great candidate to do just that. Potential that hasn't been harnessed yet.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
If as an undergraduate he only took 2 courses this past semester, I don't believe he would have been eligible to play basketball at UCONN.

If true, summer school?

I don't think KO tells him to come back if he's ineligible

Reaction Score
I love that a diehard fan of a team that came out of nowhere to win 2 of the last 6 national championships has decided we're not winning next year because Hamilton, Brimah, and Purvis aren't the trifecta to do it. That alone is amazing. Obviously it's long odds, because it's long odds for every team to win the NC. It doesn't mean rebuilding with the younger players who are complete unknowns in college basketball is a superior option.

Trying to twist Kirk and Ricky's suspension into some significant driver of our championship 2 years later is equally great. I feel so dumb for thinking the main drivers were El Amin showing up and Rip deciding to come back for a third year despite being a first round pick.

I have to be done interacting with you on this topic because it's just stupid at this point, but thanks for the great laughs.

Once again the typical comment, hilarious how easy it is to guess what your next move is. You are the most obvious and obnoxious poster on this board and thank you so much for proving it yet again. I'd imagine you're such a in real life away from cyber, do you have friends? guessing not too many. Keep up the good work smart guy.

And by the way, to not understand what I was trying to say while "blue93" easily understood makes you pretty damn stupid. (blue not a hit on you at all by the way LOL) There got one in on you imagine that? And the "diehard fan" thing - don't go there you wouldn't like the results FF.

Reaction Score
You know what's even funnier 7774 is the fact you said "interacting" with me. You're shi**ing me right? You don't interact with anyone, you just think everyone is stupid. get off your high horse someday and maybe someone will take you serious, until then doubt many do!

Reaction Score
He said Dham hurt the team last year until the end of the season, which is basically the same as saying we would have been better off without him on the team last year until the end of the season. No one was remotely talking about anything regarding the future.

You're just so far dumber than the next dumbest person on this board it's mind blowing.

I wonder if I can guess who you're talking to.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I don't understand how people continue to make " he can't improve his game" argument.

How many times do we have to see college kids significantly improve their game / draft position by staying in college before it begins to sink in?

I happen to believe Hamilton was a great candidate to do just that. Potential that hasn't been harnessed yet.

I want this to be true as much as the next UConn fan, however watching him during the 5 on 5 was extremely difficult. He just isn't as naturally talented as many of the other players on the court. I don't believe his NBA dreams are crushed forever but I don't see how he makes an NBA roster anytime soon.

Reaction Score
Stock Watch: Winners and losers of the 2016 NBA Draft Combine - CBSSports.com

Daniel Hamilton | SG | Connecticut
Hamilton has hired an agent, which means he's in the draft. You have to wonder if he'll regret that decision, after he was one of the worst players in the 5-on-5 session and one of the worst athletes in testing. Hamilton only had a 29-inch vertical leap as well as some of the worst agility scores for a perimeter player. In the game, those things came to a head as he couldn't blow by anyone or create his own offense. Add relatively poor shooting and lackluster defense, and it's hard to see how he gets drafted at this point.

Reaction Score

Hamilton has hired an agent, which means he's in the draft. You have to wonder if he'll regret that decision, after he was one of the worst players in the 5-on-5 session and one of the worst athletes in testing. Hamilton only had a 29-inch vertical leap as well as some of the worst agility scores for a perimeter player. In the game, those things came to a head as he couldn't blow by anyone or create his own offense. Add relatively poor shooting and lackluster defense, and it's hard to see how he gets drafted at this point.

I don't care what his vertical leap is. If you have a nose for the ball and know how to rebound by highpointing it, that means more.

Reaction Score
I don't care what his vertical leap is. If you have a nose for the ball and know how to rebound by highpointing it, that means more.

If DHam can't make shots, can't create shots, can't create scoring opportunities for others by beating a defender 1-on-1, or defend other perimter players because of his lack of athleticism, no NBA teams are going to care about his rebounding. His ability to rebound likely wouldn't even be that much of an advantage at the next level when on the floor with (1)better rebounders and (2) no longer playing any minutes at the 4 putting him closer to the basket for defensive rebounding opportunities.

Reaction Score
Agree. Think Moses Malone and (I hate to write this) Barkley - neither had any vertical leap.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Agree. Think Moses Malone and (I hate to write this) Barkley - neither had any vertical leap.

So we are now comparing DHam to two basketball legends.

Reaction Score

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

Damn. You gotta wonder how the office visit went with KO:

Hammy: Coach, I think its time for me to go to the League. Been thinking about it between my class...err...classes. I think its time. I think.

Coach: Okay. [feels a vibration in his pants] Excuse me, I gotta take this...

Hammy: [Looks down....leaves. Looks back, sees Coach waving).]

I still think he has an NBA Contract in his future. May be going the Lamb route.

Reaction Score
Damn. You gotta wonder how the office visit went with KO:

Hammy: Coach, I think its time for me to to the League. Been thinking about it between my class...err...classes. I think its time.

Coach: Okay. [feels a vibration in his pants] Excuse me, I gotta take this...

Hammy: [Looks down....leaves.]

I still think he has an NBA Contract in his future. May be going the Lamb route.

Lamb was a lottery pick, its much easier to get a 2nd deal like Lamb did when you already got the first one and have played stretches where you showed potential. There really isn't much of a comparison b/w Lamb and DHam's upcoming situation at all. Besides that Lamb is a much better player, at the time Lamb entered the draft in 2012 Lamb charted as one of the most effecient 2P shooters in DraftExpress's database, we all know that is the exact opposite of what DHam was as a player.

Reaction Score
Lol what ace said.... Lamb was the eleventh pick. He should of left. Dham is second round to undrafted.

Have we ever have a guy leave early and go super late? Ater Majok

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Sure. But vertical leap can prove to be important when trying to finish at the hoop in traffic -- which is something Hamilton struggled with (a lot) in college.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Is this a joke? These guys are the definition of anomaly and only a fool would use Malone and Barkley to say Hamilton may have a decent NBA career. I honestly can't stop laughing at this.

Reaction Score
I don't think what he's saying is that ridiculous. Would we be a better team next year if DHam came back? I think we definitely would be. But we may be better off in the long run, just have to wait and see.

Would we have been a better team during the post season ban year if nobody transferred? Probably, but it allowed our NC contributors to develop in a year that didn't really matter. Who knows if we win in 2014 if the guys who left, didn't.

Long story, short: Next man up.
What he's saying is ridiculous. He's not sure if we're better off having Hamilton come back or not, when as you pointed we definitely would be most of the time.

Sure, the scenario where Hamilton leaves and all the necessary moving parts fall into place and we're a better team down the line because of the additional experience will occur some small percentage of time. The scenario where the freshman get thrown into the fire too soon and lose confidence and never become they players they are capable of will also happen some small percentage of the time. What will happen the huge majority of the time is we will replace a junior year Daniel Hamilton with a player(s) that is not as productive, and we won't be as good a team.

Again, we're literally debating whether or not it would be better for us to have the junior year version of a player who put up 32, 12, & 8 while playing 55 minutes in the 4 OT game against Cincinnati. It's totally ridiculous.

Reaction Score

Those were two strong, wide bodies who can move a man off his spot to get a rebound. DHam is probably as extreme an example as being on the other end of the spectrum as you can get.

Reaction Score
I'm with 7774 here. I wasn't the biggest fan of D-Ham's game, but he had the chance to be really good as a junior.

Reaction Score
We would definitely be a better team with Hamilton on the floor next year. Whether he gets drafted or not has zero impact on his value as a college player. You can't take away his numbers and experience, replace it with Freshmen and a sophomore transfer, and logically think we will be better.
However, as a sum of it's parts type of thing, I'm wondering if our offensive execution might be a little more fluid next year without Hamilton and Gibbs on the floor at the same time. Fewer late shot clock circus shots would be nice.
Still hoping Hamilton manages to get a back door into the draft.

Reaction Score
Lol what ace said.... Lamb was the eleventh pick. He should of left. Dham is second round to undrafted.

Have we ever have a guy leave early and go super late? Ater Majok
I think Majok left for other reasons besides just trying to get into the NBA.

El-Amin was the 5th pick in the second round and DeAndre Daniels was the 7th pick in the second round. Those are the only ones I can think of off hand that entered the draft early and weren't first round picks.

Reaction Score
DraftExpress panned his preform acne at the combine and that hiring his agent hasn't done him any favors.

I feel awful for the kid. Yeah, we all want UConn to be great next year. But this is the kid's livelihood. I'm pretty sure he didn't envision himself going undrafted and going to Europe a month ago. I hope some luck finds its way to DHam soon.

Reaction Score
I feel awful for the kid. Yeah, we all want UConn to be great next year. But this is the kid's livelihood. I'm pretty sure he didn't envision himself going undrafted and going to Europe a month ago. I hope some luck finds its way to DHam soon.

If he didn't envision himself possibly going undrafted, then he got some pretty horrific advice. To be honest, this combine performance is more a confirmation of what we already knew than a shocking outlier that tanks his stock. He was always a reach in this draft -- maybe 2nd round was plausible, but 1st round was never going to happen.

The way the NBA works these days, the difference between 2nd round and undrafted isn't so great anyway.

That said, I hope for Hamilton's own sake and for the sake of our program's reputation he finds his way into this draft somehow. It would be a huge embarrassment to declare, sign with an agent immediately, and then go undrafted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom