Bad combine day for DHAM | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bad combine day for DHAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I had to stop reading at the point you said you thought he hurt the team until the end of the year. Guy was 2nd in the conference in rebounding, 4th in assists, 1st in free throw shooting, 6th in assist/TO ratio. His win share/40 was 2nd best on the team behind Shonn Miller. But we would have been better off without him.

Wow.

I don't think he ever said UConn would have been better without him but that's how you like to turn things around. You always stop reading things when people differ on opinion.

You both have valid points but teams that he played on and was leader weren't all that good or consistent let's be honest. Good kid, rebounded well and was a good player. Was probably going to eventually get it, but hadn't yet. Killed the team for a 8-10 game stretch on offense although his rebounding did not falter. Would loved for him to come back just not sure whether or not we're better off without him or not?

Reaction Score
I don't think he ever said UConn would have been better without him but that's how you like to turn things around. You always stop reading things when people differ on opinion.

You both have valid points but teams that he played on and was leader weren't all that good or consistent let's be honest. Good kid, rebounded well and was a good player. Was probably going to eventually get it, but hadn't yet. Killed the team for a 8-10 game stretch on offense although his rebounding did not falter. Would loved for him to come back just not sure whether or not we're better off without him or not?
Well he said Dham hurt the team. Seems like the same basic concept as being better off without him. If a player is truly hurting the team, how would we not be better off without him?

Reaction Score
Well he said Dham hurt the team. Seems like the same basic concept as being better off without him. If a player is truly hurting the team, how would we not be better off without him?
Wow, you really can be obtuse at times. A player could have hurt a team in the PAST but then mature and help the team in the FUTURE. That is how someone can say he hurt a team but not say the team will be better without him. One is a statement on the past, the other is a statement about the future. Future could be like the past or different. They are not necessarily equal. Get it?

Listen, you are a positive dude that loves every coach and every player all of the time. But you are a cheerleader to a fault. At times, like this, you become irrationally argumentative.

And, yes, I know this is the pot calling the kettle black. Doesn't mean the kettle isn't black.

Reaction Score
Wow, you really can be obtuse at times. A player could have hurt a team in the PAST but then mature and help the team in the FUTURE. That is how someone can say he hurt a team but not say the team will be better without him. One is a statement on the past, the other is a statement about the future. Future could be like the past or different. They are not necessarily equal. Get it?

Listen, you are a positive dude that loves every coach and every player all of the time. But you are a cheerleader to a fault. At times, like this, you become irrationally argumentative.

And, yes, I know this is the pot calling the kettle black. Doesn't mean the kettle isn't black.
He said Dham hurt the team last year until the end of the season, which is basically the same as saying we would have been better off without him on the team last year until the end of the season. No one was remotely talking about anything regarding the future.

You're just so far dumber than the next dumbest person on this board it's mind blowing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
DHam was threat to go off at any time and thus demanded attention of the opposing team every minute he was on the floor. Now that's not all that he brought to the table, but that fact will mean that he'll be missed since it created opportunities for others.

Like every kid who has played for us (and didn't dis us on the way out) I wish him the very best.

Reaction Score
Daniel Hamilton: The only player on this list that has actually hired an agent, Daniel Hamilton struggled to do anything positive for most of the NBA Combine, which almost certainly seals his fate to go undrafted considering where he started off. Hamilton was a triple-double threat at the college level whose poor frame and athleticism was always likely going to be a hindrance to creating efficient offense at the pro level. Those fears were realized in a serious way in Chicago, as he struggled to get past anyone, forced up bad looks from all over the floor, and didn't make up for that with his perimeter shooting or defensive prowess. Hamilton will have some options in mid-level Europe starting this summer already, as there aren't many players his size with that type of versatility, but that might not have been the original plan when he decided to leave school for good very early on in the process. A year in the D-League could be an option as well. It's possible that he simply wasn't a fan of being a college student and prefers to pursue developing elsewhere, but the statements he made when he declared suggest otherwise: "I'm hearing first round, maybe second round," Hamilton said. "Wherever I get drafted, I'll be OK with it.

Via DX

coming back to uconn wasn't going to increase his agility and athleticism, so i dont really get this whole 'he made a huge mistake' angle. a poor showing at the combine does not surprise me, what surprised me was the source talking about 'first round'.

Reaction Score
DHam was threat to go off at any time and thus demanded attention of the opposing team every minute he was on the floor. Now that's not all that he brought to the table, but that fact will mean that he'll be missed since it created opportunities for others.

Like every kid who has played for us (and didn't dis us on the way out) I wish him the very best.

Yeah I wish the kid the best. Many think he made a mistake but as James said, he wasn't going to get any more athletic but hopefully eventually would have made better decisions. He didn't like the college scene I guess and felt it was time to go after his dream, hope he finds it.

Here's how I feel about him now that he's gone - will he be missed? Maybe. Will the Huskies be better off without him this year? I think overall the answer is yes. I don't see the trio of him, Rodney and AB having the potential to make any run this year and while he was pretty good at the end of the year, he really wasn't the factor we all thought he would be as a sophomore. Instead we now let the kids (frosh, Adams, Larrier , Enoch)grow for a year and who knows who steps up when given the chance. I mean his rebounding will be missed but on the other hand maybe someone will now make some shots.

No matter life goes on at UConn and it's exciting to think about the future, maybe not 16-17 as much but at the very least 17-18.

Reaction Score
He said Dham hurt the team last year until the end of the season, which is basically the same as saying we would have been better off without him on the team last year until the end of the season. No one was remotely talking about anything regarding the future.

You're just so far dumber than the next dumbest person on this board it's mind blowing.

I laugh at neanderthals like you. You have no clue who you are talking to. If I am the dumbest person on the board, congratulations, you are all geniuses, literally.

And, for the record, upstater referred to both the past and the present. Also, he said Hamilton hurt the team for part of last season, not all of it. You are the one focusing on the past. You are the one that somehow takes part and turns it into the whole. Could you be a more argumentative child?

Reaction Score
I laugh at neanderthals like you. You have no clue who you are talking to. If I am the dumbest person on the board, congratulations, you are all geniuses, literally.

And, for the record, upstater referred to both the past and the present. Also, he said Hamilton hurt the team for part of last season, not all of it. You are the one focusing on the past. You are the one that somehow takes part and turns it into the whole. Could you be a more argumentative child?
Good news everybody!! We're all geniuses!! Literally.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, it's not as simple as "hiring an agent". What realistically happens in no particular order is the player gets a cash advancement or a car etc - before the draft - once that happens - he might as well sign with the agent - if he hadn't already.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure about all this speculation that Hamilton didn't like college and just wanted to get out of UConn. How do any of us know how he felt about college? The only thing I've ever seen on the subject is his mother saying he loved it at UConn.

One thing is certain: if Hamilton does withdraw his name from the draft at some point, he will be back at UConn for his junior year. There is no thought at all by the Los Angeles native of transferring.

“He loves it there,” Karen Hamilton said. “My husband and I were wondering whether he’ll ever really want to come home.”

UConn’s Daniel Hamilton to test NBA draft waters

So how about we just say he wanted to get to the NBA as soon as possible and start earning money? Which is probably closer to the truth and why most college athletes declare for the draft before their eligibility is up. Maybe he made a bad decision and maybe he didn't, we'll know soon, but I'm not going to speculate he didn't like being a college student.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure about all this speculation that Hamilton didn't like college and just wanted to get out of UConn. How do any of us know how he felt about college? The only thing I've ever seen on the subject is his mother saying he loved it at UConn.

One thing is certain: if Hamilton does withdraw his name from the draft at some point, he will be back at UConn for his junior year. There is no thought at all by the Los Angeles native of transferring.

“He loves it there,” Karen Hamilton said. “My husband and I were wondering whether he’ll ever really want to come home.”

UConn’s Daniel Hamilton to test NBA draft waters

So how about we just say he wanted to get to the NBA as soon as possible and start earning money? Which is probably closer to the truth and why most college athletes declare for the draft before their eligibility is up. Maybe he made a bad decision and maybe he didn't, we'll know soon, but I'm not going to speculate he didn't like being a college student.
Although I have never speculated about it on this board, I think the reason for all the speculation is because one of the articles on him leaving (I believe from someone in the horde) said he only took two courses this past semester, couple that with his hard and fast decision to leave and hire an agent without even testing the waters (when he may not even get drafted) doesn't seem to make any sense at all.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I think people believe he didnt like college because he was so quick to sign with an agent, which was a "no looking back move" despite the fact that he had weeks to keep testing the waters before officially giving up his amateurism. DHam was one of the first on the fence guys to sign, I'd say he never really even got the chance to test the waters because a big part of the feedback phase of this new draft system comes during the combine.

Reaction Score
Although I have never speculated about it on this board, I think the reason for all the speculation is because one of the articles on him leaving (I believe from someone in the horde) said he only took two courses this past semester, couple that with his hard and fast decision to leave and hire an agent without even testing the waters (when he may not even get drafted) doesn't seem to make any sense at all.

If as an undergraduate he only took 2 courses this past semester, I don't believe he would have been eligible to play basketball at UCONN.

Reaction Score
And after the season he left and was taking a course online or something.

There are tons of kids making seemingly similar bad decisions unless they realize they will likely play in the d league or overseas. Saw latest draft express mock and has Newman, Stone, Whitehead as 2nd rounders. DHam undrafted.

Wish him the best, hopefully he is smart and if he plays overseas he saves well and realize he will have to work when that is done.

Honestly, I wonder if these kids who can't make the league would be smarter playing 2-3 years and then jumping into coaching. Big money to get bigger jobs at major schools.

If as an undergraduate he only took 2 courses this past semester, I don't believe he would have been eligible to play basketball at UCONN.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure he was full time with 4 courses, but withdrew from 2 of them mid-semester.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
just not sure whether or not we're better off without him or not?
Yes, that is always the question...kind of a Circle of Life thing...will DHam's absence allow another player to have the development time that they need to fill his gap or exceed his contribution? Or will his absence encourage a new, talented player, like JJackson, to come to UConn and produce more in the long run?

Reaction Score
Yes, that is always the question...kind of a Circle of Life thing...will DHam's absence allow another player to have the development time that they need to fill his gap or exceed his contribution? Or will his absence encourage a new, talented player, like JJackson, to come to UConn and produce more in the long run?
I'm amazed that people are actually debating whether or not we would be better off next year if an all conference player returned. There is no evidence that he was a chemistry problem on the team, or stunting other teammate's growth. He obviously has flaws as a player, but come on.

Reaction Score
I don't know where the idea started that he was only taking 2 courses for the entire second semester... the only info I ever saw was that after he left he was finishing two courses that he hadn't yet finished.

Reaction Score
I'm amazed that people are actually debating whether or not we would be better off next year if an all conference player returned. There is no evidence that he was a chemistry problem on the team, or stunting other teammate's growth. He obviously has flaws as a player, but come on.

There's more than one way to look at "would we be better off next year....?" - Again would we actually be better next year with him? - yes more than likely if you accept one and done again. Would they have any potential to win a NC with him back and all the while having his 30-35 minutes a game stunting the growth of a kid who may be the option in '17-'18?
Remember Kirk and Ricky being suspended? Well in the long run it worked out right the kids got to play more and 2 years later they won our first NC. That's my point - he's not winning one next year as he, AB and Rodney aren't the trifecta to help do so, at least in may opinion. So while I do not want to throw next year away and still won't in any manner, him leaving leaves next year as an opportunity for the young guys to begin their careers and find out who will help in the 2017-19 years. I'm actually fine with it at this point thinking long term because it won't be too long at all... heck they may find out someone is ready immediately.

Reaction Score
There's more than one way to look at "would we be better off next year....?" - Again would we actually be better next year with him? - yes more than likely if you accept one and done again. Would they have any potential to win a NC with him back and all the while having his 30-35 minutes a game stunting the growth of a kid who may be the option in '17-'18?
Remember Kirk and Ricky being suspended? Well in the long run it worked out right the kids got to play more and 2 years later they won our first NC. That's my point - he's not winning one next year as he, AB and Rodney aren't the trifecta to help do so, at least in may opinion. So while I do not want to throw next year away and still won't in any manner, him leaving leaves next year as an opportunity for the young guys to begin their careers and find out who will help in the 2017-19 years. I'm actually fine with it at this point thinking long term because it won't be too long at all... heck they may find out someone is ready immediately.
I love that a diehard fan of a team that came out of nowhere to win 2 of the last 6 national championships has decided we're not winning next year because Hamilton, Brimah, and Purvis aren't the trifecta to do it. That alone is amazing. Obviously it's long odds, because it's long odds for every team to win the NC. It doesn't mean rebuilding with the younger players who are complete unknowns in college basketball is a superior option.

Trying to twist Kirk and Ricky's suspension into some significant driver of our championship 2 years later is equally great. I feel so dumb for thinking the main drivers were El Amin showing up and Rip deciding to come back for a third year despite being a first round pick.

I have to be done interacting with you on this topic because it's just stupid at this point, but thanks for the great laughs.

Reaction Score
I love that a diehard fan of a team that came out of nowhere to win 2 of the last 6 national championships has decided we're not winning next year because Hamilton, Brimah, and Purvis aren't the trifecta to do it. That alone is amazing. Obviously it's long odds, because it's long odds for every team to win the NC. It doesn't mean rebuilding with the younger players who are complete unknowns in college basketball is a superior option.

Trying to twist Kirk and Ricky's suspension into some significant driver of our championship 2 years later is equally great. I feel so dumb for thinking the main drivers were El Amin showing up and Rip deciding to come back for a third year despite being a first round pick.

I have to be done interacting with you on this topic because it's just stupid at this point, but thanks for the great laughs.
I don't think what he's saying is that ridiculous. Would we be a better team next year if DHam came back? I think we definitely would be. But we may be better off in the long run, just have to wait and see.

Would we have been a better team during the post season ban year if nobody transferred? Probably, but it allowed our NC contributors to develop in a year that didn't really matter. Who knows if we win in 2014 if the guys who left, didn't.

Long story, short: Next man up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak