B1G Expansion Rumor | Page 5 | The Boneyard

B1G Expansion Rumor

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You can absolutely toss out everything he says.

You have to appreciate the yeoman's work he's doing in spreading good thoughts, but it's not hard to figure out who he is.
Wait, it's Warde Manuel, right?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Hearing all these what-ifs and possibilities never ceases to let the irrational hope well up inside me. FWIW, my realignment wet dream (other than a straight up UConn to B1G move) is this:

**Prepare for delusion**
  • The Longhorn Network folds (losing tons of money right now), and Texas begins discussions about a conference move
  • B1G decides 16 is the future, adds Missouri (no grant of rights) and Kansas
  • Oklahoma beats Texas to the punch and joins the SEC to fill Missouri's place
  • SEC also adds West Virginia and Virginia Tech to match the B1G at 16 (two new markets)
  • Texas panics without their network and OU, and ends up in the Pac-12 (now 14) with Texas Tech as a travel partner
  • 5 defecting Big 12 schools sue over GOR, they win and the Big 12 has officially blown up
  • In a blockbuster move, the football-centric ACC schools jump ship to join the five remaining Big 12 schools
  • New Big 12: Kansas State, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, TCU, and Baylor, with Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Louisville, NC State and Miami from the ACC, plus Cincinnati from the American
  • ACC is left with 7 full members, adds UConn as a full member plus Army and Navy football only
  • The ACC gives the Catholic 5 (sorry Marquette/DePaul) a sweet offer, they join for non-football sports with Notre Dame
  • ACC: BC, PC, UConn, SJ, SHall, Cuse, Pitt, ND, Nova, GTown, UVA, UNC, Duke, Wake
  • ACC is a middling football conference but a basketball powerhouse, just what UConn always deserved
As you can see it gets more and more unlikely as it unfolds. But a kid can dream right?

Taking them in order....

The LHN folds.

I think Texas, Tech, OU and OSU join the Pac12.

Kansas, Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State and West Virginia start scrambling.

There's really nothing in that bunch that would appeal to the SEC, so they pass. There's nothing for the ACC and they're stuck with ND as an odd appendage so they pass.

The Big 10 could take Kansas, but what else is in there? Do they take Kansas and UConn? I'd guess that might be too basketbally a bite for the B10 football powers, so I guess not.

So welcome to the American, folks!

Or the six dead Big 12 members meet UConn, Cincy, Temple, UCF and Houston at diner and they Facetime BYU, Boise and SDSU and become the Big 12+2 American West Conference.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
... FWIW, my realignment wet dream (other than a straight up UConn to B1G move) is this:...
Just so we're clear, the dream portion of a "wet dream" should be highly enjoyable. At no point does your scenario sound enjoyable. Along with many of us here on the BY, I think you should seek counseling. If you find a good one let me know.

Reaction Score
You can absolutely toss out everything he says.

You have to appreciate the yeoman's work he's doing in spreading good thoughts, but it's not hard to figure out who he is.

He has offered a credible denial when accused of this previously.

Reaction Score
Hearing all these what-ifs and possibilities never ceases to let the irrational hope well up inside me. FWIW, my realignment wet dream (other than a straight up UConn to B1G move) is this:

**Prepare for delusion**
  • The Longhorn Network folds (losing tons of money right now), and Texas begins discussions about a conference move
  • B1G decides 16 is the future, adds Missouri (no grant of rights) and Kansas
  • Oklahoma beats Texas to the punch and joins the SEC to fill Missouri's place
  • SEC also adds West Virginia and Virginia Tech to match the B1G at 16 (two new markets)
  • Texas panics without their network and OU, and ends up in the Pac-12 (now 14) with Texas Tech as a travel partner
  • 5 defecting Big 12 schools sue over GOR, they win and the Big 12 has officially blown up
  • In a blockbuster move, the football-centric ACC schools jump ship to join the five remaining Big 12 schools
  • New Big 12: Kansas State, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, TCU, and Baylor, with Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Louisville, NC State and Miami from the ACC, plus Cincinnati from the American
  • ACC is left with 7 full members, adds UConn as a full member plus Army and Navy football only
  • The ACC gives the Catholic 5 (sorry Marquette/DePaul) a sweet offer, they join for non-football sports with Notre Dame
  • ACC: BC, PC, UConn, SJ, SHall, Cuse, Pitt, ND, Nova, GTown, UVA, UNC, Duke, Wake
  • ACC is a middling football conference but a basketball powerhouse, just what UConn always deserved
As you can see it gets more and more unlikely as it unfolds. But a kid can dream right?
Hey HFD it's been a long time
Hope your well.

Reaction Score
That's not a dream for UCONN...that's a complete nightmare!!!

I look at the basketball side of it and I'm in heaven. Football rules everything, however, and I know rooting for this scenario is shortsighted. At the end of the day, no way this plays out.

Just so we're clear, the dream portion of a "wet dream" should be highly enjoyable. At no point does your scenario sound enjoyable. Along with many of us here on the BY, I think you should seek counseling. If you find a good one let me know.

I get that football might not be the best in this situation, but I think the basketball season would be highly enjoyable. I went at this with a basketball fan's perspective.

Reaction Score
I have to be honest. At the time he was chosen, I thought P was a safe if not spectacular hire. That it turned out to be a complete duckk of the program surprised me, but there is no denying that is what happened.

Just about a minute after UConn hired Coach P, a friend from Syracuse who knows folks in their administration and like me, also knows Coach P from our hometown, sent me note on Facebook with his condolences. As the late Han Solo would say, I got a bad feeling about this."

Reaction Score
I have to be honest. At the time he was chosen, I thought P was a safe if not spectacular hire. That it turned out to be a complete duckk of the program surprised me, but there is no denying that is what happened.

Surprise! The safe, boring, conservative move, with zero upside, ends up providing an infinitude of downside.

Reaction Score
I would imagine that, if the ACC was down four schools and adding basketball pedigrees, Kansas would be on the shortlist.

That could work as well, provided that Iowa State is brought in as a regional partner. Kansas on an island would recreate the WVU/B12 scenario. I like UC/UConn, as they're closer.

Reaction Score
Their first mistake was letting it get personal with Blumenthal (not to absolve him of blame). Their second was continuing to listen to Flipper/Fr. Leahy. Think Swofford would like a mulligan now?Swofford was not opposed to UConn to the ACC. It was BC and FSU remember who put the kibosh on the whole thing.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Buffalo Lion knows too much about the Big Ten to be either upstater or HFD. I think he has to really be a fan of a school that is in the Big Ten. I think he might be Flugaur.
Unless Greg Flugaur, adopted the BuffaloLion moniker as a pseudonym, it's doubtful he's a Penn State alum. Based on flugempire's LinkedIn bio and his twitter info/tweets, Flugaur openly shares he's a Minnesota alumnus and employee of Bob Burton's Cenveo. That may not rule out a fictional name.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Who is this Buffalo Lion guy? From another board or a new player in the Twitterati game?

Reaction Score
Buffalo Lion knows too much about the Big Ten to be either upstater or HFD. I think he has to really be a fan of a school that is in the Big Ten. I think he might be Flugaur.
Unless Greg Flugaur adopted the BuffaloLion moniker as a pseudonym, it's doubtful he's a Penn State alum. Based on flugempire's LinkedIn bio and his twitter info/tweets, Flugaur openly shares he's a Minnesota alumnus and employee of Bob Burton's Cenveo. That may not rule out a fictional name.

Reaction Score
Unless Greg Flugaur, adopted the BuffaloLion moniker as a pseudonym, it's doubtful he's a Penn State alum. Based on flugempire's LinkedIn bio and his twitter info/tweets, Flugaur openly shares he's a Minnesota alumnus and employee of Bob Burton's Cenveo. That may not rule out a fictional name.

I always thought Buffalo Lion was a legitimate Penn State fan. Fishy says otherwise. In that case, I said he MAY be Flugaur under another guise. Flugaur is a legitimate Minnesota fan. I think he said he changed jobs so he doesn't work for Cenveo anymore.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I always thought Buffalo Lion was a legitimate Penn State fan. Fishy says otherwise. In that case, I said he MAY be Flugaur under another guise. Flugaur is a legitimate Minnesota fan. I think he posts under Gopher 68 on some message boards. I think he said he changed jobs so he doesn't work for Cenveo anymore.

There has been a Buffalo Lion on the BWI McAndrew board for 15 years+. Now, that could be BuffaloLion or Bufalo Lion or BuffaloLyin' and they may all be different.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Flug also didn't appreciate being outed re: his linked in profile previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom