B1G Expansion Rumor | Page 2 | The Boneyard

B1G Expansion Rumor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
P

Problem is Dooley they already count the NYC DMA and the BTN is on in this area already.
Yes, but with more relevant content in the region they can charge cable providers more per subscriber. It's not simply a matter of being in the region, it's having content that the cable companies will pay for. Seems pretty clear that Rutgers alone hasn't been able to accomplish much of that.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Rutgers blows. In everything they play. It is obvious that they are in over their heads. UConn wouldn't be. We played our best football in a BCS conference and steamrolled the best basketball conference in the country. NYC is not a one school DMA. The NYC DMA is a collection of schools of which we are part of. Another big city that we are part of the collection of schools is Boston. You've got the #1 and #8 DMAs with UConn presence before you even get to #30 Hartford/New Haven.

Reaction Score
Yes, but with more relevant content in the region they can charge cable providers more per subscriber. It's not simply a matter of being in the region, it's having content that the cable companies will pay for. Seems pretty clear that Rutgers alone hasn't been able to accomplish much of that.
I'm just telling you..I get the same programming in Port Chester NY that they get in Greenwich CT 5 blocks away (both in the NYC DMA)...I get the BTN as part of my pkg on FIOS. Unless they can charge more in CT if they were to bring in UCONN...the BTN already gets $$ from this area.

Reaction Score
Rutgers blows. In everything they play. It is obvious that they are in over their heads. UConn wouldn't be. We played our best football in a BCS conference and steamrolled the best basketball conference in the country. NYC is not a one school DMA. The NYC DMA is a collection of schools of which we are part of. Another big city that we are part of the collection of schools is Boston. You've got the #1 and #8 DMAs with UConn presence before you even get to #30 Hartford/New Haven.
I 100% agree with you..I'm just saying they may not count the NYC DMA 2x since they already get $$ from it.

Reaction Score
It's times like this i really miss buffalolion updates.

He posted this today on Landthieves:

1. With respect to UConn, if they had AAU status and a traveling partner, they would be in the Big Ten right now. Delany loves them. Their metrics as they relate to the Big Ten (minus AAU status) is off the charts. We would take UConn over BC or Syracuse in a heartbeat.

With respect to the Big 12, UConn's only real downside is distance. Connecticut high schools actually produce as much NFL talent as do high schools in Oklahoma, and more NFL talent than high schools in Kansas, Iowa, or West Virginia. They have been lobbying heavily for Big Ten membership, and are probably next in line of the current non-P-5 schools. However, Delany would FAR rather see them in the Big 12 than the ACC. No UConn in the ACC means no ACC Network.

Reaction Score

1. With respect to UConn, if they had AAU status and a traveling partner, they would be in the Big Ten right now. Delany loves them. Their metrics as they relate to the Big Ten (minus AAU status) is off the charts. We would take UConn over BC or Syracuse in a heartbeat.

With respect to the Big 12, UConn's only real downside is distance. Connecticut high schools actually produce as much NFL talent as do high schools in Oklahoma, and more NFL talent than high schools in Kansas, Iowa, or West Virginia. They have been lobbying heavily for Big Ten membership, and are probably next in line of the current non-P-5 schools. However, Delany would FAR rather see them in the Big 12 than the ACC. No UConn in the ACC means no ACC Network.

This might be the most optimistic take on our situation that I've ever heard -- who of the ACC, XII, and B1G wins the Mexican standoff?

Reaction Score
Unless they can charge more in CT if they were to bring in UCONN...the BTN already gets $$ from this area.
That's exactly what I'm telling you :) And they can charge by more in the rest of New England as well. UConn being a part of it = more demand for the product = higher charges from the B1G to the cable companies = higher cable bills for all of us.

Reaction Score
NYC is not a one school DMA. The NYC DMA is a collection of schools of which we are part of. Another big city that we are part of the collection of schools is Boston. You've got the #1 and #8 DMAs with UConn presence before you even get to #30 Hartford/New Haven.[/QUOTE]

Combined Statistical Areas or CSAs are also interesting to look at:
From wiki:
A combined statistical area (CSA) is composed of adjacent metropolitan (MSA) and micropolitan statistical areas (µSA) in the United States and Puerto Rico that can demonstrate economic or social linkage. The OMBdefines a CSA as consisting of various combinations of adjacent metropolitan and micropolitan areas with economic ties measured by commuting patterns. These areas that combine retain their own designations as metropolitan or micropolitan statistical areas within the larger combined statistical area.

The primary distinguishing factor between a CSA and an MSA is that the social and economic ties between the individual MSAs within a CSA are at lower levels than between the counties within an MSA.[1] CSAs represent multiple metropolitan or micropolitan areas that have an employment interchange of 25. CSAs often represent regions with overlapping labor and media markets.

As of July 2012, there are 169 combined statistical areas in the United States, plus three in Puerto Rico.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Statistical_Area#List_of_combined_statistical_areas

The B1G was trying to get into #1 CSA with its 23 million people. You need some help?

Reaction Score

Um, Rutgers would be your travel partner, no?

Ok, so it's a least 3 hours. But that's still reasonable time for a team to play one place one night and the other the next night. Or am I not understanding the process?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm just telling you..I get the same programming in Port Chester NY that they get in Greenwich CT 5 blocks away (both in the NYC DMA)...I get the BTN as part of my pkg on FIOS. Unless they can charge more in CT if they were to bring in UCONN...the BTN already gets $$ from this area.

BTN charges different rates in different states. Sometimes by a factor of 10x.

Reaction Score
Um, Rutgers would be your travel partner, no?

Ok, so it's a least 3 hours. But that's still reasonable time for a team to play one place one night and the other the next night. Or am I not understanding the process?

I think he means someone to join with. Everyone else is bound by the GOR.

Reaction Score
First, thanks for the gossip. There is a lot of smoke on conference realignment right now, which is good thing because if there is no smoke, UConn has no chance, if there is smoke, UConn has a chance.

Second, I see the B1G going to 16 or 20, not 18. Best hope for UConn is 20 and that the XII folds. While, with 6 open slots, only 3 schools from the XII are 'locks' (Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas) should there be mutual interest whereas is the ACC collapsed, the B1G will be going after 4 'locks' in UVA, UNC, Georgia Tech, and FSU; but, also V Tech, Duke, Clemson, and Miami could be in the mix, too.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If the B1G does expand before 2017 and its purpose is to bring in more TVs and new markets, UConn should be in good shape. Hard to argue with 11.4M TV homes in a 2 hour radius, including Top 5 football program watched in NYC (#1) and Boston (#8) DMAs. Plus UConn brings quality year round content (hoops, hockey, soccer, baseball all good) that some others don't.
Preach it brother.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That's exactly what I'm telling you :) And they can charge by more in the rest of New England as well. UConn being a part of it = more demand for the product = higher charges from the B1G to the cable companies = higher cable bills for all of us.
Sign me up if it gets us in the B1G.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

If this was true, the ACC would be out of their collective minds not to add UConn before someone else does. Since we aren't in the ACC as far as I know, I am skeptical.

Reaction Score
I searched the page for UCONN and found it in 2 comments fom readers of the site and that's it. Probably should have put it in non-key tweets, but from the person that posted the comments, it sounded like there was a chance it came from a reputable source.
Does his car wash do a waxing package special?

Reaction Score
Well then that would be a square kick in the nuts for Uconn and the hopes for a B1G invite. Looks like he referenced Texas, OU, VT, and GT

Let's say the two Techs leave. Most likely the SEC would respond with inviting FSU and Clemson. Remember that football is everything in that part of the world. Basketball wouldn't be worth a lick to the yahoo contingent and the B1G would send that same message if that is the move they make.

Therefore, the ACC would revert to being a basketball-first conference which it was in the glory days. That's where I see UConn as a critical add. Uniting UConn with Duke, Virginia, UNC, State, Notre Dame, Louisville and adding Cincinnati to that group would already be better than the NBE. Kansas might end up going to the PAC and take Iowa State with them. So the B12 would be finished as a basketball conference. In the end, it would still be the ACC, NBE and B1G as the contestants in the battle for basketball supremacy, with the PAC + KU occasionally making noise.

Reaction Score
If the B12 were to dissolve, I would think KU would much rather align itself eastward with a basketball-focused ACC if the B1G wasn't an option.

Reaction Score
If the B12 were to dissolve, I would think KU would much rather align itself eastward with a basketball-focused ACC if the B1G wasn't an option.
I actually agree with this assessment for 1 very basic reason. Time zones. Kansas would want to stay relevant as hoops royalty. Playing on the left coast is a death knell as the Jayhawks would be playing on week nights when most in the Eastern & Central time zones"are safely tucked in their beds."

Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc