B1G Expansion Rumor | Page 3 | The Boneyard

B1G Expansion Rumor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Oklahoma has 41 Texas kids on their roster...they are a Texas team, essentially.

Reaction Score

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
But you are missing the handwriting on the wall. It's been there for a couple of years and Delany has been telegraphing the next move since then. Remember the new Big 10 logo? The one they are using now? Figure it out. B1G. Supposedly a nod to the old Big 10 with the G looking like a zero, right? Well, the G looks more like a 6 than a zero. He's been telling us that it's going to be the Big 16...2 more teams to join. PLUS it will be split into the East and West Divisions. UConn will be in the B1G East...again...like we never left. It's so obvious.

Reaction Score
If this was true, the ACC would be out of their collective minds not to add UConn before someone else does. Since we aren't in the ACC as far as I know, I am skeptical.
I'd be with you there if the ACC ever acted rationally to realignment.

Since they don't, I have no clue what to think.

Reaction Score
If this was true, the ACC would be out of their collective minds not to add UConn before someone else does. Since we aren't in the ACC as far as I know, I am skeptical.

The ACC allowed ND in with a 'special' deal after watching a similar 'special' deal help destroy the Big East, thus, I am skeptical of the ACC's overall intelligence.

Reaction Score
As much as many OU people believe they want/need to break away from UT, they absolutely need to stay connected to Texas to keep at the same level FB-wise. Nebraska is nowhere near where they were FB-wise since they stopped bringing in as many TX kids. Their last season in the B12 NU had 23 kids from TX on their roster. This past year they had 10. That's a huge drop off, and it is no coincidence their on the field performance has fallen off as well. If OU does eventually make a move, it will either be with UT, or to a conference (hint...SEC w/ aTm) that keeps them tied to one of the 2 major Texas universities.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Unfortunately, the ACC are out of their collective minds. Exhibit A: Louisville. Exhibit B: rejecting WVU. Exhibit C: screwing up so badly that they lost Maryland. Exhibit D: not realizing that UConn + Rutgers + Syracuse + their ND deal locks down the top media market and likely ensures that they can get a network going.

Total morons down there.

Reaction Score
UConn is being used by ESPN to keep the American afloat. I don't think ESPN is a proponent of UConn leaving the AAC.

When a conference takes UConn based solely on their own inclination and then uses our market to negotiate a tv deal they will see that we were worth it.

I know this is yet another conspiracy theory, but what has happened to this point with us doesn't make sense unless there is an underlying explanation. It is very simple to see that we have a big, totally captive market and multiple tv worthy sports to offer. We are the only school with a full fledged side show that can make conferences money (WBB).

Unless you want to buy into an unwarranted inferiority complex, you have to see something is off. UConn is not only worthy, it's untapped potential exceeds every other school in the country.

Reaction Score
One of the absurdities of realignment is how the Catholic BE schools balked at adding Kansas, Kansas St., Iowa St., which was nutty. Now they travel to Nebraska, Wisconsin, Indiana, etc., and they'll be adding a second Ohio school and maybe St. Louis.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, the ACC are out of their collective minds. Exhibit A: Louisville. Exhibit B: rejecting WVU. Exhibit C: screwing up so badly that they lost Maryland. Exhibit D: not realizing that UConn + Rutgers + Syracuse + their ND deal locks down the top media market and likely ensures that they can get a network going.

Total morons down there.
This, a thousand times. Instead of locking down the entire east coast media market ensuring the ACC had schools in every top market from Miami to Boston, inclusive of Atlanta, Charlotte, DC/Baltimore, NY, as well as Chicago, AND keep the B1G (a conference with its own network) out of NYC, they opted to protect the all important western PA and northern KY markets and keep the B12 (a conference without it's own network) out of their backyard and invited Pitt, then Louisville. The ACC had a chance to grab one of WVU or Pitt, RU, UConn, and SU, and still bring ND into the fold. This would have been a HUGE network bonanza/payday, and most likely keeps UMd in the fold...giving them a true North/South conference:

ACC South:UM, FSU, GT, Clem, UNC, NCSU, Duke, WF
ACC North: BC, SU, UConn, RU, WVU or Pitt, UMd, VT, UVa

or 4 team "pods" of where every other year the 4 team pods rotate to ensure everyone plays everyone a minimum of twice every 6 years, but play your most local teams annually.
UM, FSU, GT, Clem
UNC, NCSU, Duke, WF
UVa, VT, UMd, WVU or Pitt
BC, SU, UConn, RU

They still could have brought on ND as 17 for Olympic sports and a FB scheduling arrangement. This keep the B1G out of NYC, maybe the B12 grabs UL and one of Pitt or WVU, big deal. That's more of an intrusion on the B1G's and SEC's geographic footprint, not the ACC's.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
So let's say the B1G takes GTech and VTech and then the SEC takes FSU/Clemson. Would anyone here really be upset if the ACC takes us then? Assume that the B12 falls apart if the other half of the rumor is true and OU and UT go as well to the B1G. So you're left with three power conferences and the remnants of the B12 and ACC. In the end, the ACC is more complete of a package then what the B12 would offer. I can't see them falling out of power due to this.

I for one wouldn't lose sleep over us joining the ACC and playing decent football teams and local rivalries again in football and basketball. It would be likely that the ACC looks to add a Cincy maybe or even someone else from the AAC? I have no clue and am just rambling but I can't see myself losing sleep over us going to the ACC if this obscure new rumor comes to fruition.

The biggest kick in the nuts, which is probably what happens because of Rule #1 is that all of this happens AFTER UConn accepts an invite to the Big 12!

Reaction Score
So let's say the B1G takes GTech and VTech and then the SEC takes FSU/Clemson. Would anyone here really be upset if the ACC takes us then? Assume that the B12 falls apart if the other half of the rumor is true and OU and UT go as well to the B1G. So you're left with three power conferences and the remnants of the B12 and ACC. In the end, the ACC is more complete of a package then what the B12 would offer. I can't see them falling out of power due to this.

I for one wouldn't lose sleep over us joining the ACC and playing decent football teams and local rivalries again in football and basketball. It would be likely that the ACC looks to add a Cincy maybe or even someone else from the AAC? I have no clue and am just rambling but I can't see myself losing sleep over us going to the ACC if this obscure new rumor comes to fruition.

The biggest kick in the nuts, which is probably what happens because of Rule #1 is that all of this happens AFTER UConn accepts an invite to the Big 12!
Yes, I would be upset. Sure, any sort of ACC is better than where we are now but UConn brings value far more than most schools who would remain in that conference. Think big, think long term.

Reaction Score
Let's say the two Techs leave. Most likely the SEC would respond with inviting FSU and Clemson. Remember that football is everything in that part of the world. Basketball wouldn't be worth a lick to the yahoo contingent and the B1G would send that same message if that is the move they make.

Therefore, the ACC would revert to being a basketball-first conference which it was in the glory days. That's where I see UConn as a critical add. Uniting UConn with Duke, Virginia, UNC, State, Notre Dame, Louisville and adding Cincinnati to that group would already be better than the NBE. Kansas might end up going to the PAC and take Iowa State with them. So the B12 would be finished as a basketball conference. In the end, it would still be the ACC, NBE and B1G as the contestants in the battle for basketball supremacy, with the PAC + KU occasionally making noise.

I would imagine that, if the ACC was down four schools and adding basketball pedigrees, Kansas would be on the shortlist.

Reaction Score

Florida will never let Florida state in the sec so we don't have to worry about FSU leaving for the sec. However, if vt and gt left and UConn and cincinatti were added, then I believe the acc would be a better conference.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Yes, I would be upset. Sure, any sort of ACC is better than where we are now but UConn brings value far more than most schools who would remain in that conference. Think big, think long term.
Or maybe we need to accept that we aren't ever going to be accepted by the big boy football schools. It's reality. So as long as we're getting a big chunk of the pie or at least a decent more then we're currently getting I'd be happy whether that's in the ACC or Big 12. I'm a football first guy but I just want our school to be able to maintain it's athletic excellence. That won't happen in the AAC and it definitely won't happen if we are waiting forever to go to the B1G.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Or maybe we need to accept that we aren't ever going to be accepted by the big boy football schools. It's reality. So as long as we're getting a big chunk of the pie or at least a decent more then we're currently getting I'd be happy whether that's in the ACC or Big 12. I'm a football first guy but I just want our school to be able to maintain it's athletic excellence. That won't happen in the AAC and it definitely won't happen if we are waiting forever to go to the B1G.

Any port in a storm. We're in a storm.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
But you are missing the handwriting on the wall. It's been there for a couple of years and Delany has been telegraphing the next move since then. Remember the new Big 10 logo? The one they are using now? Figure it out. B1G. Supposedly a nod to the old Big 10 with the G looking like a zero, right? Well, the G looks more like a 6 than a zero. He's been telling us that it's going to be the Big 16...2 more teams to join.

tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
You are absolutely correct! Delaney is using the Big logo to send messages to us! I also believe that there are several clues that he has put into the new Star Wars movie about conference realignment (Yes, "Rey" is UConn!) It's also possible that he is using a binary code to send me messages through my Cheerios - I'm still working that one out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
You are absolutely correct! Delaney is using the Big logo to send messages to us! I also believe that there are several clues that he has put into the new Star Wars movie about conference realignment (Yes, Ren is UConn!) It's also possible that he is using a binary code to send me messages through my Cheerios - I'm still working that one out.

Conspiracy Kitty, you don't age. Nor changed your hair style for years.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

They should be jumping on us right now. They should have jumped on us a while ago. Swofford was never a visionary. He's simply reacted to outside forces and tried to protect his personal fiefdom and has hurt the ACC in the process.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They should be jumping on us right now. They should have jumped on us a while ago. Swofford was never a visionary. He's simply reacted to outside forces and tried to protect his personal fiefdom and has hurt the ACC in the process.
... and saved it, as well. I wish the Big East had had a similar reactionary visionless commissioner. I agree the ACC gave up it's identity in it's CR moves, but it's alive and the Big East, the best basketball conference of all time, is dead. Tough for me to too critical of Swofford. I still hate the guy, though.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Yeah Swofford may not have ended up with the optimal configuration but he had a goal, kill the Big East, and he accomplished it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom