B1G Expansion Rumor

Status
Not open for further replies.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
You are absolutely correct! Delaney is using the Big logo to send messages to us! I also believe that there are several clues that he has put into the new Star Wars movie about conference realignment (Yes, Ren is UConn!) It's also possible that he is using a binary code to send me messages through my Cheerios - I'm still working that one out.

Binary? Better add some rice krispies... the message will become clear.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, the ACC are out of their collective minds. Exhibit A: Louisville. Exhibit B: rejecting WVU. Exhibit C: screwing up so badly that they lost Maryland. Exhibit D: not realizing that UConn + Rutgers + Syracuse + their ND deal locks down the top media market and likely ensures that they can get a network going.

Total morons down there.

Their first mistake was letting it get personal with Blumenthal (not to absolve him of blame). Their second was continuing to listen to Flipper/Fr. Leahy. Think Swofford would like a mulligan now?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
... and saved it, as well. I wish the Big East had had a similar reactionary visionless commissioner. I agree the ACC gave up it's identity in it's CR moves, but it's alive and the Big East, the best basketball conference of all time, is dead. Tough for me to too critical of Swofford. I still hate the guy, though.

You can't compare the ACC with the BE. The BE as it was constituted was a dead man walking. Swofford took Louisville when he could have had WVU. He believed BC could be New Englands team. He believed that SU could be NYC's team He was outfoxed by Delany with Rutgers and MD. He feathered his son's Raycom bed and now it is an impediment to getting an ACCN off the ground.

Had he been smart, he could have taken UConn with SU and had the best BB conference, a decent FB conference with potential AND locked up the Eastern Seaboard for an ACCN, which "might" have been enough to keep MD. His initial outlook was too Tobacco road centric, then he had to acquiesce to the FB powers and now...? The only thing that could save him, IMO, is if ND is forced to join the ACC.

While Swofford plays checkers, Delany plays chess.

Reaction Score
They should be jumping on us right now. They should have jumped on us a while ago. Swofford was never a visionary. He's simply reacted to outside forces and tried to protect his personal fiefdom and has hurt the ACC in the process.
Explain to me how having two teams play in the first two final 4 in FB, having 1 NC in FB and quite possibly 2 in 3 years (Bama has not played against an offense like this in 4 years), and having 5 NC's in BB since expansion started is evidence that the ACC has hurt itself in the CR process?

How would have adding Uconn at any juncture helped in FB? It would have added two NC's in BB if Uconn was added in 2004 (net 1 since Lville brought 1), which can be the point you are making, but I don't see the ACC being hurt by what they did so far. In fact, they have added a TV package in NYC (MSG and YES both carry FB and BB games) and they schedule multiple NYC BB games. They know very well what Uconn will bring to them in NYC and whether that is enough justification for the addition. The answer so far has been no. I am a believer that BC did NOT have undue influence over the NC schools the last time around; Jacobs basically said in one of his columns that there were ACC BB coaches aligned against Uconn too.

The Big 12 is the most likely player for expansion because they get nothing in NYC now and Uconn will give them something. That and they will need 12 in FB real soon. Is that enough to get either the B1G's or the ACC's attention to grab Uconn first? I hope so. I like the ACC for Uconn. Best combination of FB and BB. Built in rivalries in FB and BB. Tell me you would not want to play Duke, UNC and Cuse every year in BB. Or BC, Cuse and Clemson/FSU in FB every year. Not equal to B1G money but enough to make it comparable.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Explain to me how having two teams play in the first two final 4 in FB, having 1 NC in FB and quite possibly 2 in 3 years (Bama has not played against an offense like this in 4 years), and having 5 NC's in BB since expansion started is evidence that the ACC has hurt itself in the CR process?

Take out the teams that were already there. How have all the additions done?

How would have adding Uconn at any juncture helped in FB? It would have added two NC's in BB if Uconn was added in 2004 (net 1 since Lville brought 1), which can be the point you are making, but I don't see the ACC being hurt by what they did so far. In fact, they have added a TV package in NYC (MSG and YES both carry FB and BB games) and they schedule multiple NYC BB games. They know very well what Uconn will bring to them in NYC and whether that is enough justification for the addition. The answer so far has been no. I am a believer that BC did NOT have undue influence over the NC schools the last time around; Jacobs basically said in one of his columns that there were ACC BB coaches aligned against Uconn too.

I never said UConn would have helped in football. UConn would have been a net neutral versus, say Pitt, may (damn PP). I believe MSG and YES are Raycom spinoffs if the value that those games brings (along with the Raycom deal) are greater than the value of a ACCN well, that would surely be news! I'd like to see the article where BB coaches aligned against UConn. I remember K being pro UConn but I do remember the coaches being pro team X after they were selected instead of UConn. That's just posturing.

The Big 12 is the most likely player for expansion because they get nothing in NYC now and Uconn will give them something. That and they will need 12 in FB real soon. Is that enough to get either the B1G's or the ACC's attention to grab Uconn first? I hope so. I like the ACC for Uconn. Best combination of FB and BB. Built in rivalries in FB and BB. Tell me you would not want to play Duke, UNC and Cuse every year in BB. Or BC, Cuse and Clemson/FSU in FB every year. Not equal to B1G money but enough to make it comparable.

If BuffaloLion is to be believed and Delany loves UConn and would prefer to see UConn go to the Big 12 instead of the ACC because it helps freeze the ACC out of a viable network what does tht tell you? FWIW, I would much prefer UConn in the ACC over the Big 12 for the same reasons you would. However, I'll stick to my original statement: Swofford was not a visionary. He reacted to protect his own personal fiefdom and it's put him in a position where his conference could be the last without it's own network.

Reaction Score
Hearing all these what-ifs and possibilities never ceases to let the irrational hope well up inside me. FWIW, my realignment wet dream (other than a straight up UConn to B1G move) is this:

**Prepare for delusion**
  • The Longhorn Network folds (losing tons of money right now), and Texas begins discussions about a conference move
  • B1G decides 16 is the future, adds Missouri (no grant of rights) and Kansas
  • Oklahoma beats Texas to the punch and joins the SEC to fill Missouri's place
  • SEC also adds West Virginia and Virginia Tech to match the B1G at 16 (two new markets)
  • Texas panics without their network and OU, and ends up in the Pac-12 (now 14) with Texas Tech as a travel partner
  • 5 defecting Big 12 schools sue over GOR, they win and the Big 12 has officially blown up
  • In a blockbuster move, the football-centric ACC schools jump ship to join the five remaining Big 12 schools
  • New Big 12: Kansas State, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, TCU, and Baylor, with Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Louisville, NC State and Miami from the ACC, plus Cincinnati from the American
  • ACC is left with 7 full members, adds UConn as a full member plus Army and Navy football only
  • The ACC gives the Catholic 5 (sorry Marquette/DePaul) a sweet offer, they join for non-football sports with Notre Dame
  • ACC: BC, PC, UConn, SJ, SHall, Cuse, Pitt, ND, Nova, GTown, UVA, UNC, Duke, Wake
  • ACC is a middling football conference but a basketball powerhouse, just what UConn always deserved
As you can see it gets more and more unlikely as it unfolds. But a kid can dream right?

pj

Reaction Score
As much as many OU people believe they want/need to break away from UT, they absolutely need to stay connected to Texas to keep at the same level FB-wise. Nebraska is nowhere near where they were FB-wise since they stopped bringing in as many TX kids. Their last season in the B12 NU had 23 kids from TX on their roster. This past year they had 10. That's a huge drop off, and it is no coincidence their on the field performance has fallen off as well. If OU does eventually make a move, it will either be with UT, or to a conference (hint...SEC w/ aTm) that keeps them tied to one of the 2 major Texas universities.

Remember that it is academics (university presidents) who make realignment decisions, not athletic directors or football boosters. The B1G and their CIC is a major draw to presidents. I would say it at least balances the Texas link, which can be addressed by out of conference scheduling.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
He posted this today on Landthieves:

1. With respect to UConn, if they had AAU status and a traveling partner, they would be in the Big Ten right now. Delany loves them. Their metrics as they relate to the Big Ten (minus AAU status) is off the charts. We would take UConn over BC or Syracuse in a heartbeat.

With respect to the Big 12, UConn's only real downside is distance. Connecticut high schools actually produce as much NFL talent as do high schools in Oklahoma, and more NFL talent than high schools in Kansas, Iowa, or West Virginia. They have been lobbying heavily for Big Ten membership, and are probably next in line of the current non-P-5 schools. However, Delany would FAR rather see them in the Big 12 than the ACC. No UConn in the ACC means no ACC Network.

In the land of conspiracies, I wonder if Kitty would think that Delany is pushing the de-regulation vote on the B12 in hopes that they will add UConn (with thoughts of creating a B12N) to keep us away from the ACC. It's really a race between the B12 and ACC to see who will get a network first. The loser of that race will eventually die out and be picked off by another P4 conference.

pj

Reaction Score
Yeah Swofford may not have ended up with the optimal configuration but he had a goal, kill the Big East, and he accomplished it.

That was ESPN's goal. Swofford's goal was to extract money from ESPN. This was a mutually short-sighted deal.

Reaction Score
Television. How's that ACC Network coming along? They could have had all of NYC to themselves, kept UMd, and kept the B1G and BTN out of NYC and Balt/DC by grabbing Rutgers and UConn along with SU back in '11/12.

Now, answer this... of those 5 BB NC's and 1 FB NC you reference above, how many were contributed by any of the teams brought in from expansion (reminder, UL's 2013 title was as a member of the BE, not the ACC)? Spoiler alert.... the answer is zero.
Second question, how many NC's would a UConn have delivered to the ACC's trophy case had they been selected along with SU? Hint... it rhymes with fun and none, but it's more than none. So, maybe expansion hasn't hurt the ACC in that regard, but it hasn't helped them either.

Reaction Score
Hearing all these what-ifs and possibilities never ceases to let the irrational hope well up inside me. FWIW, my realignment wet dream (other than a straight up UConn to B1G move) is this:

**Prepare for delusion**
  • The Longhorn Network folds (losing tons of money right now), and Texas begins discussions about a conference move
  • B1G decides 16 is the future, adds Missouri (no grant of rights) and Kansas
  • Oklahoma beats Texas to the punch and joins the SEC to fill Missouri's place
  • SEC also adds West Virginia and Virginia Tech to match the B1G at 16 (two new markets)
  • Texas panics without their network and OU, and ends up in the Pac-12 (now 14) with Texas Tech as a travel partner
  • 5 defecting Big 12 schools sue over GOR, they win and the Big 12 has officially blown up
  • In a blockbuster move, the football-centric ACC schools jump ship to join the five remaining Big 12 schools
  • New Big 12: Kansas State, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, TCU, and Baylor, with Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Louisville, NC State and Miami from the ACC, plus Cincinnati from the American
  • ACC is left with 7 full members, adds UConn as a full member plus Army and Navy football only
  • The ACC gives the Catholic 5 (sorry Marquette/DePaul) a sweet offer, they join for non-football sports with Notre Dame
  • ACC: BC, PC, UConn, SJ, SHall, Cuse, Pitt, ND, Nova, GTown, UVA, UNC, Duke, Wake
  • ACC is a middling football conference but a basketball powerhouse, just what UConn always deserved
As you can see it gets more and more unlikely as it unfolds. But a kid can dream right?
That's not a dream for UCONN...that's a complete nightmare!!!

Reaction Score
This absolute kills me... I don't know if Hathaway could have hired a worse coach if he tried.

I have to be honest. At the time he was chosen, I thought P was a safe if not spectacular hire. That it turned out to be a complete duckk of the program surprised me, but there is no denying that is what happened.

Reaction Score
Remember that it is academics (university presidents) who make realignment decisions, not athletic directors or football boosters. The B1G and their CIC is a major draw to presidents. I would say it at least balances the Texas link, which can be addressed by out of conference scheduling.
And yet there's L-ville rubbing elbows with Duke, UVA, VPI...makes me sick.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
And yet there's L-ville rubbing elbows with Duke, UVA, VPI...makes me sick.
Me too. Well, if it makes you feel better, UL is trying to look cool at the high school dance by hanging out with the jocks (Clemson, FSU) but will wind up working as a caddie. Meanwhile the nerds (Duke, UVA) are on track to be the CEO that the UL guy is going to caddy for.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
In the land of conspiracies, I wonder if Kitty would think that Delany is pushing the de-regulation vote on the B12 in hopes that they will add UConn (with thoughts of creating a B12N) to keep us away from the ACC. It's really a race between the B12 and ACC to see who will get a network first. The loser of that race will eventually die out and be picked off by another P4 conference.

Or he thinks it is BS that the ACC will be able to match Clemson and FSU and the Big XII its top two teams, and he doesn't want his league at a competitive disadvantage. That's the thing. They set the rule at 12 precisely because it caused divisions to be essential. It makes sense that if you drop it to 10, you should still make divisions essential. The Pac has been hosed several times with Stanford playing weak teams in its championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom