Azura | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Azura

Reaction Score
And the Dairy Bar.
Isn't that an NCAA violation?? I heard Sue gave Z life time passes to the Russian National Games in Puerto Rico, only if they happen on sunday afternoons between 2-pm and 7 pm and they must start on time __everyone know nothing in Puerto Rico starts on time.
I do miss the Dairy Bar .

Reaction Score
bizarro is a troll- He just makes outrageous statements to get you going (I fell for it the first few times too).
Yep, got it. Thanks. I can't understand the time wasted doing that on a beautiful summer day.

Reaction Score
I'm uh... I'm uh ... I .... where am I?
That is not nice doing an impression of an afflicted person. Besides--you said it was a moment thing.
I'm uh... I'm uh ... I .... where am I?
Kidding aside--a number of years ago I was riding home on a small motorcycle--and was catapulted off and my helmet made a 40 ft long white mark on the road, I came down broke my shoulder, and had an 18 inch long hemotoma on my hip (blood blister). I'd be talking to friends /relatives and they told me--I'd go blank for 5 minutes or more--then continued the conversation as though nothing happened---the condition lasted over a month--no kidding--really happened---since I never knew it happened--maybe it still is--huh???-

Reaction Score
Yep, got it. Thanks. I can't understand the time wasted doing that on a beautiful summer day.
I have a really difficult time posting with the sun so bright on this beautiful summer day---guess I'll go inside and enjoy the Ac

Reaction Score
Ask yourself this question, between collier and Z which one will dominate in the paint? Z has about a 6" longer wingspan then collier and Collier did not dominate in the paint against any team with a 6'4" or taller post last season. There's no doubt in my mind that Z will own the boards on offense and defense which the team lacked last season. Geno's goal every year is to win a NC and he will make changes to get it done since they fell short last season.

Reaction Score
Ask yourself this question, between collier and Z which one will dominate in the paint?

I don't think either will be a dominant inside player. Both will spend too much time outside to be considered dominant inside players, like say Brown. Stevens averaged about 9 boards/game in her 2 years at Duke so we know she can do it but while she may well lead the team in rebounds ownership will be shared with both Collins and Williams. And all three will be scoring both inside and outside.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't think either will be a dominant inside player. Both will spend too much time outside to be considered dominant inside players, like say Brown. Stevens averaged about 9 boards/game in her 2 years at Duke so we know she can do it but while she may well lead the team in rebounds ownership will be shared with both Collins and Williams. And all three will be scoring both inside and outside.
To your point, back in the old days before the NBA allowed zone defense or even double-teams, the Celtics would post up whichever one of 4 starters (Parrish, McHale, Byrd & Johnson) had the biggest mismatch. All 4 had great low-post moves, and they would wear out opposing teams until they were forced to make an adjustment, and then the Celtics would post up someone else.

While zone defenses and double-teams have always been legal in WBB, Geno will certainly look to exploit low-post mismatches. With Z and Pheesa likely guarded by opposing teams bigs, I would not be surprised if Gabby continues to spend much of her time in the paint on offense where she will dominate opposing W/G's.

UConn's mismatches in the low post may force some teams to pack everyone in the paint on defense, leaving Lou, Kia and others open 3-pt shots. Good luck with that strategy.

Is it time for the season to start yet? :)

Reaction Score
To your point, back in the old days before the NBA allowed zone defense or even double-teams, the Celtics would post up whichever one of 4 starters (Parrish, McHale, Byrd & Johnson) had the biggest mismatch. All 4 had great low-post moves, and they would wear out opposing teams until they were forced to make an adjustment, and then the Celtics would post up someone else.

While zone defenses and double-teams have always been legal in WBB, Geno will certainly look to exploit low-post mismatches. With Z and Pheesa likely guarded by opposing teams bigs, I would not be surprised if Gabby continues to spend much of her time in the paint on offense where she will dominate opposing W/G's.

UConn's mismatches in the low post may force some teams to pack everyone in the paint on defense, leaving Lou, Kia and others open 3-pt shots. Good luck with that strategy.

Is it time for the season to start yet? :)

Agree with all that you say. Chasing Gabby, Pheesa and Z around one-on-one doesn't seem like a good defensive plan. Double teaming any of them has its problems since Gabby and Pheesa are excellent passers (I have not watched Z play). To defend against UCONN, I might start with a zone to guard the space around the basket rather than the players, but, as you note, Lou, Kia and friends have been known to take advantage of open 3-pt opportunities. I expect to see many mismatches this year.

Reaction Score
One thing i find interesting is that almost everyone on here only talks about players on the offensive end of the floor. Geno could care less about a players offense, defense wins championships. Thats why i think Z will be a starter and will have 3 times the amount of blocks and rebounds that collier had last season.

Reaction Score
One thing i find interesting is that almost everyone on here only talks about players on the offensive end of the floor. Geno could care less about a players offense, defense wins championships. Thats why i think Z will be a starter and will have 3 times the amount of blocks and rebounds that collier had last season.

Sure hope you're right. 28 rebounds and 6 blocks a game might both be NCAA records.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
When conversation turns to Azura Stevens and where and how she played her two seasons at Duke, don't forget (or dismiss) she was playing under a completely different system, with different players, and for a different coach who's philosophy about how to play Division 1 basketball is also totally different.

Gabby is a guard, yet Geno had her guarding post players 6 inches taller than her, in the paint, because that's where he needed her to play. If he needs Z to play in the paint, or guard post players, that's what she's going to do. Posters continually comment that Z was not this, or Z does not do that.

She's going to be and do whatever Geno needs her to, and she'll do it with unbridled enthusiasm. She wants to be a great teammate that the players and coaches can count on, and she wants to win a chip.

Sometimes we forget that at UConn, it's not about YOU, but about the team, and what you can do to help this team win basketball games. What you did before you came to Storrs is irrelevant. What's important is what you do AFTER your arrival, and during your stay.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ask yourself this question, between collier and Z which one will dominate in the paint? Z has about a 6" longer wingspan then collier and Collier did not dominate in the paint against any team with a 6'4" or taller post last season. There's no doubt in my mind that Z will own the boards on offense and defense which the team lacked last season. Geno's goal every year is to win a NC and he will make changes to get it done since they fell short last season.
IT remains to be seen--it depends on the strengths of Z---or the Strengths Geno sees he can use of Z's.
You are right that Collier and Gabby did not DOMINATE with 6 four and over. My gut tendency is to think Geno would use Z as a mobile post---and as Post Defense---others, with more specific Z knowledge believe she will be away on Offense in on Defense-with help from 3 of the core 4.
Personally, again it depends on Z's progression to Geno's defense--can she handle most bigs defensively ?? We have no visual knowledge. We know she can score--
The real lack of this past year for UConn was SiZE defensively in the post---what would you do if you were Geno--and had a 6-6 big--knowing your medium bigs can't hold the line because of size????

Reaction Score

Geno loves defense--true--Geno says so many things as all humans do--he has also said--you can't win unless you put the ball in the hole. Which, remembering Ms St, seem true. I use Geno's words only because many won't argue them--but we can probably find a word for each occasion--that Geno used.
I think Azura will be one of at least 6 maybe 7 starters -could be 8. With the talent he has from 1 to 7 his options on defense and offense are amazing--and Geno will use them all as needed.
If I were USC playing Uconn---I'd start with Man to Man defense --see how it works, and would practice options : Zone see how it works, and possible box and one on KLS--and see who could beat USC. Obviously Dawn would stay with the one that gave her the greatest advantage. A quick mobile zone using lots of help--if she has it, that's what I would use.
If Z can fill the Stewie inside game and the Kiah Stokes defense inside--this will be a long year for the NCAA opponents.
We have to remember Geno does not have to be 100 percent perfect or near perfect except for what 6 games?--the rest he can sit back and play practice games.

Reaction Score
Z can do some fabulous offensive things but she is not a great player yet. Now maybe she can learn how. Wilson took her lunch money when their teams played each other. That can't happen anymore.

Reaction Score

But the reason why you are have been wrong so much on this thread is that you said Collier won't start. How can you say in one sentence that defense is so important then in the next have Collier start on the bench.?

Reaction Score

So you think Stevens will have 230 blocks and average 27 rebounds per game?

Reaction Score
Z can do some fabulous offensive things but she is not a great player yet. Now maybe she can learn how. Wilson took her lunch money when their teams played each other. That can't happen anymore.

But games aren't one-on-one. Wilson may have taken to her to lunch because her team was superior as was Wilson's coach. Thus it makes what Wilson did pretty irrelevant.

Reaction Score
But games aren't one-on-one. Wilson may have taken to her to lunch because her team was superior as was Wilson's coach. Thus it makes what Wilson did pretty irrelevant.
What a person does is the basis for who they are unless they are a fake. I believe Wilson was the MVP of the final four and she will probably be NPOY. She's no fake. Tuck is not there anymore. It's on Z to utilize her second chance and prove she is great or not. I have a feeling that Z will need to depend heavily on team to contain the big and great Wilson.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

I'm only replying so I can find this post later on....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What a person does is the basis for who they are unless they are a fake. I believe Wilson was the MVP of the final four and she will probably be NPOY. She's no fake. Tuck is not there anymore. It's on Z to utilize her second chance and prove she is great or not. I have a feeling that Z will need to depend heavily on team to contain the big and great Wilson.
The last time Z faced Wilson was almost 2 yrs ago in Columbia in Dec of 2015. SC won 66-55 and yes, Wilson (28 & 11) outplayed Z (11 & 9).

2 years is a long time, particularly when Z has been working with the best coaches in WBB to improve her all-around game as well as to get much stronger.

I would also point out that last year in Storrs, Gabby & Pheesa clearly outplayed Wilson & Coates.

As far as Wilson being NPOY, I have said that she will be one of two favorites, but I believe that Gabby, as the 2nd favorite, will have much to say about NPOY before all is said and done.

Reaction Score
I know, "past performance can't be used to predict the future". However, Z and Napheesa played essentially the same minutes , 1731 vs 1769, in their first 2 seasons and Z leads in only 1 positive category O boards ,227 to 191. Collier has better numbers in every other statistical category. What's truly amazing is Collier has 41 more blocks than Z. I hope Z has a great year but 3 times better than Collier?? I think not!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom