Azura | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Azura

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
DBB, you must have had a rough weekend to come out Monday morning looking for an argument. OK, I'm game. I have seen Batouly play on several occasions as a freshmen at KY. She is 6'2", strong, with good footwork, a nice soft shot around the basket, and she can score with either hand. She is a tough defender and a fierce rebounder. She doesn't have Tuck's shooting range and overall offensive skills, hence my description of her as a "Working Man's" Morgan Tuck. Batouly's best game as a freshman was at Columbia, SC where she had 14 pts and 9 rebounds while battling Coates & Wilson.

But you seem to want evidence so let's look at the numbers from Batouly's freshman year at KY vs Tuck's freshman year at UConn. Batouly played 33 games as a freshman, starting 14, vs Tuck's 35 games with only 2 starts. Batouly led Tuck in avg min/gm-18.3 to 15.8, FG%-49% to 45%, rebounds-4.3 gm to 3.4 gm, blocks-30 to 9. Tuck led Batouly in 3pt shooting-13/45 (29%) to 0/1 (0%), FT%-66% to 53%, assists-47 to 19, turnovers-43 to 60, steals-19 to 6 and scoring-6.6 ppg to 5.1 ppg. In my mind the numbers are remarkably similar and justify comparing the two 6'2" power forwards with similar skillsets.

But you are correct, my comparison may not be fair. I may be selling Batouly short. She is about to make her sophomore leap, with the added bonus of a full year working with the UConn coaching staff as a redshirt. Batouly will be good, and she may be very good. IMO she will be the first frontcourt sub for either Z or Pheesa and I suspect that there will be times when Geno will want to go with a big frontline when Z, Pheesa & Batouly will be on the court together. On such occasions, if Gabby is also on the court with them, it may be virtually impossible for the opposing team to get a rebound at either end of the court.

Finally, I have never made claims about Molly, Kyla and Nat, while I know some have. So what if they did? This is an opinion board. As far as the incoming freshmen, based on what I have seen in all-star games and highlight videos, I have suggested that Coombs will earn playing time before the others based on her defensive ability as well as her passing skills.

I hope next weekend is a better one for you.
I appreciate the full list of evidence and it it logical and why I hit "like" for your post. Overall, my comment on "glowing platitudes" given on this site was not at all directed at you for the other names mentioned and just a general assessment to many that read this. So I apologize to you on that if I offended you.
I guess you have me generally nodding in agreement with you on Camara, though being a freshman at UK is significantly different than being on a NC team as a freshman. I do think her year of training with UConn will help her immensely. Most do well with the Geno spotlight once they "get it" and I suspect BC will be one who "gets it" after having been at Kentucky. Fingers crossed and hoping you are right!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I would point out that Bartouly did not make The SEC all freshmen team. In the 2013 NCAA tournament Dolson was injured and it was Freshman Tuck who proved to be her crucial backup including excellent play in ND FF game.
CH. I love Tuck. The point I've been trying to make is that Batouly has a number of similar skills and will be a very valuable reserve for the Huskies this coming season. Surely we can all agree on that?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I appreciate the full list of evidence and it it logical and why I hit "like" for your post. Overall, my comment on "glowing platitudes" given on this site was not at all directed at you for the other names mentioned and just a general assessment to many that read this. So I apologize to you on that if I offended you.
I guess you have me generally nodding in agreement with you on Camara, though being a freshman at UK is significantly different than being on a NC team as a freshman. I do think her year of training with UConn will help her immensely. Most do well with the Geno spotlight once they "get it" and I suspect BC will be one who "gets it" after having been at Kentucky. Fingers crossed and hoping you are right!
No offense taken. I enjoy a good argument. It forces me to think. As a result I now have a headache and need a nap...;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But I don't agree with the notion that she played out of position "all year."
Napheesa started all games at the same position PF. She was not overmatched in many games but she was out of position in "all" because as you accurately state she does not have ideal height for the position nor the ideal build. Morgan Tuck a mere inch taller and Maya Moore a mere inch shorter played that position flawless because they both had the build for it.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Napheesa started all games at the same position PF. She was not overmatched in many games but she was out of position in "all" because as you accurately state she does not have ideal height for the position nor the ideal build. Morgan Tuck a mere inch taller and Maya Moore a mere inch shorter played that position flawless because they both had the build for it.
It's a good thing she doesn't have the "IDEAL" height or build for the PF position, I wonder what her numbers would be if she did..

Sluconn Husky
I am with you on this one, if a person is efficient and effective in a position on the court, who are we to say she is out of position, Napheesa has become quite comfortable and confident in that position, and this year I'm guessing you will see more of her playing at that position, it is quite conceivable that she may remain at that position till she leaves UCONN.. I for one would take SKILL and results over (height and build) any day of the year on my team.. Just saying..

There is a notable difference between undersized and out of position.. :)

Reaction Score
DBB, you must have had a rough weekend to come out Monday morning looking for an argument. OK, I'm game. I have seen Batouly play on several occasions as a freshmen at KY. She is 6'2", strong, with good footwork, a nice soft shot around the basket, and she can score with either hand. She is a tough defender and a fierce rebounder. She doesn't have Tuck's shooting range and overall offensive skills, hence my description of her as a "Working Man's" Morgan Tuck. Batouly's best game as a freshman was at Columbia, SC where she had 14 pts and 9 rebounds while battling Coates & Wilson.

But you seem to want evidence so let's look at the numbers from Batouly's freshman year at KY vs Tuck's freshman year at UConn. Batouly played 33 games as a freshman, starting 14, vs Tuck's 35 games with only 2 starts. Batouly led Tuck in avg min/gm-18.3 to 15.8, FG%-49% to 45%, rebounds-4.3 gm to 3.4 gm, blocks-30 to 9. Tuck led Batouly in 3pt shooting-13/45 (29%) to 0/1 (0%), FT%-66% to 53%, assists-47 to 19, turnovers-43 to 60, steals-19 to 6 and scoring-6.6 ppg to 5.1 ppg. In my mind the numbers are remarkably similar and justify comparing the two 6'2" power forwards with similar skillsets.

But you are correct, my comparison may not be fair. I may be selling Batouly short. She is about to make her sophomore leap, with the added bonus of a full year working with the UConn coaching staff as a redshirt. Batouly will be good, and she may be very good. IMO she will be the first frontcourt sub for either Z or Pheesa and I suspect that there will be times when Geno will want to go with a big frontline when Z, Pheesa & Batouly will be on the court together. On such occasions, if Gabby is also on the court with them, it may be virtually impossible for the opposing team to get a rebound at either end of the court.

Finally, I have never made claims about Molly, Kyla and Nat, while I know some have. So what if they did? This is an opinion board. As far as the incoming freshmen, based on what I have seen in all-star games and highlight videos, I have suggested that Coombs will earn playing time before the others based on her defensive ability as well as her passing skills.

I hope next weekend is a better one for you.
Glad to see Coombs getting some attention. From the little that I have seen of her play so far am looking forward to her play and development at UCONN

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Glad to see Coombs getting some attention. From the little that I have seen of her play so far am looking forward to her play and development at UConn
While Walker has future star written all over her, I believe Coombs has the most "college ready" game of the 4 incoming freshmen, particularly on D.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It's a good thing she doesn't have the "IDEAL" height or build for the PF position, I wonder what her numbers would be if she did..
There is a notable difference between undersized and out of position.. :)
For A UCONN player it has never been about what numbers she can put up. It is about what is best for the team and although lacking "ideal" height both Gabby and Napheesa had AA seasons. What could the team have accomplished if they did have ideal height? Possibly 5 Time Champion.
The notable difference between undersized and out of position is really the players ability to play another position better or at a high level. Barbara Turner was a McDonalds AA and a PF. She did not have the ability to play another position thus she was an undersized post at UCONN. Geno himself has said when Crystal Dangerfield comes into the game she has to be the Point Guard. While we keep focusing on Gabby and Napheesa (Post player) it is also note worthy that all 4 returning starters are also playing out of position.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
The notable difference between undersized and out of position is really the players ability to play another position better or at a high level. Barbara Turner was a McDonalds AA and a PF. She did not have the ability to play another position thus she was an undersized post at UConn..
So where is Napheesa most effective on the court? Which position does she currently play better?

Reaction Score
No offense taken. I enjoy a good argument. It forces me to think. As a result I now have a headache and need a nap...;)
One day I'll be able to take a nap without anyone looking over my sholder. You got it made!!!!:mad::(

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So where is Napheesa most effective on the court? Which position does she currently play better?
I know trick questions when I see one. In the UCONN offense, unlike say any team in the SEC, players move and are encouraged to be effective from more than one position on the floor. Napheesa was certainly effective from multiple positions in the UCONN offense including in the post=AA effective. Napheesa's best offensive position is in the mid post where she was among the most accurate shooters in the NCAA and UCONN history. Defensively is another matter. In UCONN man to man or zone defenses Napheesa struggles on post defense. Napheesa led UCONN in fouls committed last year, by a fairly large margin. The 81 fouls Napheesa committed last year was the most by any UCONN players, sorry I only went back 10 years. BTW Napheesa also led the team in personal fouls her freshman year when she was 7th in minutes played. Not to dwell, on the negative but Napheesa also led the team in rebounding last year. So Napheesa best defensive position is not in the post, it is on the Wing where she can use her length to stop other wing players like she did against Thomas of FSU.
Go figure: Gabby and Napheesa were the best post players on the UCONN roster last year and among the best in the country even though " they were playing out position". Are they both great or what?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Napheesa led UConn in fouls committed last year, by a fairly large margin. The 81 fouls Napheesa committed last year was the most by any UConn players, sorry I only went back 10 years. BTW Napheesa also led the team in personal fouls her freshman year when she was 7th in minutes played.

Perhaps this shows that she's aggressive, sometimes too aggressive. Shot blockers tend to foul.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Perhaps this shows that she's aggressive, sometimes too aggressive. Shot blockers tend to foul.
Yea, I though of that (Napheesa is simply too aggressive) also. Of course, since it did not tend to support my argument I excluded it, knowing that you wouldn't. :cool:
Either way this (not fouling) is an area where Napheesa needs to grow and get better-& she definitely will. I don't see her moving out of defending the post until the 2018-19 season C. Collier comes on board.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yea, I though of that (Napheesa is simply too aggressive) also. Of course, since it did not tend to support my argument I excluded it, knowing that you wouldn't. :cool:
Either way this (not fouling) is an area where Napheesa needs to grow and get better-& she definitely will. I don't see her moving out of defending the post until the 2018-19 season C. Collier comes on board.
I agree that Pheesa needs to get better in the area of fouling as many of her fouls were "reach-in" fouls, the result of bad decisions on her part. Interestingly, Gabby had the same problem at the start of last season, but appeared to self-correct after one or two tongue lashings from Geno.

The good news is that with Z hopefully functioning as a rim protector, Pheesa won't necessarily have to challenge every shot in the lane.

Reaction Score
I agree that Pheesa needs to get better in the area of fouling as many of her fouls were "reach-in" fouls, the result of bad decisions on her part. Interestingly, Gabby had the same problem at the start of last season, but appeared to self-correct after one or two tongue lashings from Geno.

The good news is that with Z hopefully functioning as a rim protector, Pheesa won't necessarily have to challenge every shot in the lane.

I agree that Z should help with post defense. And if that happens and Collier is freed up from that, then look out because Collier will truly dominate in every aspect other than low post defense on much bigger players. But this is what she was forced to do last year along with Gabby. And they put their collective hearts into it. But when you have small defenders guarding these huge tree's, you are going to have fouls or you are not doing anything but letting your opponent score. Gabby can jump but big people can body her up down and getting the advantage. There’s no way around it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I agree that Z should help with post defense. And if that happens and Collier is freed up from that, then look out because Collier will truly dominate in every aspect other than low post defense on much bigger players. But this is what she was forced to do last year along with Gabby. And they put their collective hearts into it. But when you have small defenders guarding these huge tree's, you are going to have fouls or you are not doing anything but letting your opponent score. Gabby can jump but big people can body her up down and getting the advantage. There’s no way around it.
This coming season, I'm looking forward to Z patrolling the lane like Stewie, swatting away shots from 3 ft away. Of course Z is not Stewie, but you can't teach 6'6".

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm enjoying reading all of the various takes concerning Azura. Whether she'll start or not., and where Geno will use her. A few posters have compared her to Stewie. I would suggest that we not forget that AZ is now coached by the same staff that coached Stewie. Anyone think they won't coach AZ the same way, and expect her to do things the same way they coached Stewie to?

They've had AZ for a full year. They've had plenty of time to "deprogram" her, and to clean the slate of any bad habits she may have had, and teach her to play UConn basketball. To be honest, I don't expect to see any resemblance between the AZ we saw her two years at Duke, and the one we'll see this season for the reasons mentioned above.

We'll have to wait and see what the results of that year long transformation is. She's under new management, and she is a year older. With age comes wisdom. You can see and learn a lot sitting on the bench for a season.

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
And the debate will go on!

Regardless of all the opinions of who starts, who was playing out of position and who is going to average what per game there a couple of facts about Geno and UConn:

You will earn your minutes in practice - which are tougher than the vast majority of games.
Geno will play those players he trusts.
Geno wants multi-position players on the floor.

Reaction Score

Perhaps it means she was playing out position.

Anyways, I'm excited to see this team this upcoming year. Going to be a lot of fun.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Perhaps it means she was playing out position.

How many big players did she go up against, maybe 6 or 7? That doesn't account for all the fouls called on her. She fouled out against LSU and they're one of the smallest teams UConn faced all year.

Reaction Score
How many big players did she go up against, maybe 6 or 7? That doesn't account for all the fouls called on her. She fouled out against LSU and they're one of the smallest teams UConn faced all year.

Why does it matter "how many" "big teams" she went against? She might have even been bigger than some of the players. I'm 6'0 . If I play 20 pickup games and 16 - teams are small- but 4 I go against 6'5 or 6'6 centers and I need my team to sag down and help and/or my team got wiped on the glass, that is supposed to automatically mean "I'm a natural center?"

Again as I sent you -- the games vs ND, Texas, Miss State and the mention of Baylor she played out of position. How is "Temple" relevant for a team with title aspirations? I pointed out examples of why she either got into foul trouble because she was playing out of position or how UCONN had to "sell out" defensively to account for someone like Collier being so small. What you said above doesn't change anything that I said - or Collier said- or the coach from texas said etc. Or what we saw vs Tulane. She got into foul trouble vs top tier teams for a reason. She's small- and she is not "Willis Reed." And the Tulane game because she was playing out of position. Tow fouls - one in the low post for position and the other she is setting a pick as the main dominant low post scorer for the team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom