Azura | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Azura

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Why does it matter "how many" "big teams" she went against? She might have even been bigger than some of the players. I'm 6'0 . If I play 20 pickup games and 16 - teams are small- but 4 I go against 6'5 or 6'6 centers and I need my team to sag down and help and/or my team got wiped on the glass, that is supposed to automatically mean "I'm a natural center?"

Again as I sent you -- the games vs ND, Texas, Miss State and the mention of Baylor she played out of position.

Nobody said Collier is a natural center--there are few of those. But she wasn't at a height disadvantage against a whole lot of teams. And she was crucial against Notre Dame and Texas. I'm not sure her struggles against MSU had anything to do with size issues. Again, she had overcome those pretty much all year, as had Gabby Williams.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Or what we saw vs Tulane. She got into foul trouble vs top tier teams for a reason. She's small- and she is not "Willis Reed." And the Tulane game because she was playing out of position. Tow fouls - one in the low post for position and the other she is setting a pick as the main dominant low post scorer for the team.

Collier had 4 fouls against Tulane, the last of which was a result of an atrocious call. Tulane basically played six that game, five of which were 6-1 or under. The one big (6-5) played 15 minutes.

Are you saying Collier should never set picks? Collier may not be 6-6 but she's not tiny either.

Reaction Score
Nobody said Collier is a natural center--there are few of those. But she wasn't at a height disadvantage against a whole lot of teams. And she was crucial against Notre Dame and Texas. I'm not sure her struggles against MSU had anything to do with size issues. Again, she had overcome those pretty much all year, as had Gabby Williams.

if she isn't a natural center- then how can you say she isn't playing out of position? What does "natural" mean then?

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
And the debate will go on!

Regardless of all the opinions of who starts, who was playing out of position and who is going to average what per game there a couple of facts about Geno and UConn:

You will earn your minutes in practice - which are tougher than the vast majority of games.
Geno will play those players he trusts.
Geno wants multi-position players on the floor.
Yes, yes and yes. It sounds as though if some of you guys were married to Jennifer Lawrence you'd expect her to cook. C'mon, there's not much this team isn't going to be able to do.

Reaction Score
Collier had 4 fouls against Tulane, the last of which was a result of an atrocious call. Tulane basically played six that game, five of which were 6-1 or under. The one big (6-5) played 15 minutes.

Are you saying Collier should never set picks? Collier may not be 6-6 but she's not tiny either.

But Collier had TWO other fouls (with those two fouls she was Already in foul trouble.)BECAUSE she was playing center that otherwise she would never have gotten into trouble vs Tulane. One foul was fighting for low post position vs the other team's low post player. . And the other was that she was down low and set a pick to try to get Lou space. As I told you before, COllier is a forward- SHE SHOULD ALSO BE GETING PICKS--> NOT be primarily setting picks to spring Lou. The MORE she is asked to set picks -- the better the chance she gets into foul trouble because she isn't a natural center. In this case, she is thin and stuck out her butt- an obvious foul call.

Collier IS thin. She is NOT a natural center. WHy do you think the Texas coach said UCONN changed strategies ot put 3 or 4 players on Kelsey? Becuase she is small. Otherwise why would UCONN have to put 3/4 players on Kelsey? And why do you think Collier said she is small? I showed you the quote. She said she was small. How can anyone argue that? Why would she say it - if it weren't true?

Regarding picks-- I'll say it again- AS THE CENTER SHE IS OBLIGATED TO SET MORE PICKS FOR SOEMONE LIKE LOU than otherwise a super scorer would normally do. If she was playing forward, the natural center (or the more power forward) would be setting picks for HER just like they will do for Lou. Now that Collier was the center she is forced more to set picks and become more at risk for fouls.

Reaction Score
Yes, yes and yes. It sounds as though if some of you guys were married to Jennifer Lawrence you'd expect her to cook. C'mon, there's not much this team isn't going to be able to do.

What are you going to say then when they win games 95- 40? Just "wow?" Or are you also going to say something else? You know we're going to win a lot of games by over 35, right? So before she cooks can't I tell Jennifer Lawrence which uniform I'd like to see her wear? :):)
A UCONN husky uniform!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
But Collier had TWO other fouls (with those two fouls she was Already in foul trouble.)BECAUSE she was playing center that otherwise she would never have gotten into trouble vs Tulane. One foul was fighting for low post position vs the other team's low post player. . And the other was that she was down low and set a pick to try to get Lou space.

I don't know why you think Collier wouldn't do those types of things if UConn had a larger "center." She's going to be in the low post a lot regardless--she's a forward with a great interior game.

Collier IS thin. She is NOT a natural center. WHy do you think the Texas coach said UConn changed strategies ot put 3 or 4 players on Kelsey? Becuase she is small. Otherwise why would UConn have to put 3/4 players on Kelsey? And why do you think Collier said she is small? I showed you the quote. She said she was small. How can anyone argue that? Why would she say it - if it weren't true?

Regarding picks-- I'll say it again- AS THE CENTER SHE IS OBLIGATED TO SET MORE PICKS FOR SOEMONE LIKE LOU than otherwise a super scorer would normally do. If she was playing forward, the natural center (or the more power forward) would be setting picks for HER just like they will do for Lou. Now that Collier was the center she is forced more to set picks and become more at risk for fouls.

Lang gave the team fits on the boards. It happens. She was a tall and talented player. That doesn't only fall on Collier. Nobody is suggesting a larger interior defender wouldn't have been more ideal.

As for setting picks, Collier does it, Williams does it, and I guarantee you Stevens will do it. Collier had a tendency to move to quick on some of them and occasionally picked up a foul.

Reaction Score
I don't know why you think Collier wouldn't do those types of things if UConn had a larger "center." She's going to be in the low post a lot regardless--she's a forward with a great interior game.

Lang gave the team fits on the boards. It happens. She was a tall and talented player. That doesn't only fall on Collier. Nobody is suggesting a larger interior defender wouldn't have been more ideal.

As for setting picks, Collier does it, Williams does it, and I guarantee you Stevens will do it. Collier had a tendency to move to quick on some of them and occasionally picked up a foul.

1--- When you say Collier will be in the low post "a lot" what does that "mean" vs comparing her to 2016-2017? We're going to have Az, Gabby, and Camara. So how much is she going to be in the post? As a result of more size, there is no reason to have Collier to play in the post as much as she does/ and defend the post as much. She does have a great interior game but she has a great mid range game too. And she shot the 3ball extremely well too. Just because she isn't a center doesn't mean offensively that she can't score quite a bit on the inside. Forwards can score inside too.

2-- Kelsey gave the team trouble for the following reasons:
a-- She is talented enough and tall and big and UCONN was small. THAT is the best reason why "it happens."
b-- It doesn't only fall on Collier because if they had a big player that was talented enough on both sides of the court then there would be no reason to have 3-4 players help Collier guard Kelsey. That's nto Collier's fault. She's just too small - as a result UCONN has to sell out to help her vs soemone like Kelsey. Collier then could move ot her natural spot- which is forward.

3-- And for setting pciks-- I'll say again-- of course Collier will have to set picks but as a center she is required to set MORE picks for others and gets LESS for herself. As a result of setting MORE picks for someone as thin as her - she is more apt to get more cheap fouls. It's the law of averages. The more you are setting, the better chance you'll get a foul. If you are big and or wide you don't need to move as much to set a decent pick. If you're a thin low post and trying to set a good/decent pick, you're going ot get more cheap fouls. ORRR you stop or set less good picks.

4-- Collier has to move quick on them because she's down on the block often and by trying to spring Lou for example, that's a quick player she is looking to set a pick on-- plus when you are thin - you need to move quicker than a more natural center who has a wider body. It would be better if UCONN had a NBA offense where you are running pick and rolls a lot. But UCONN isn't like that.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
One thing i find interesting is that almost everyone on here only talks about players on the offensive end of the floor. Geno could care less about a players offense, defense wins championships. Thats why i think Z will be a starter and will have 3 times the amount of blocks and rebounds that collier had last season.
Really? Even though the most she's had is 53 and Collier had 77 last year. Now all of a sudden Stevens is going to have 231 blocks in a season??? 84 more than UCONN's season record (Stokes)? The most Stewart ever had was 126. So Stevens is going to be 105 blocks better than Stewart??

Willing to lose some more money on that?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Touche'

Screen%20Shot%202014-03-20%20at%203.49.20%20PM.jpg

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Back to Z for a second. Part of the book on Z is she doesn't appreciate contact. So I would expect that will get tested early. You might recall that a Husky reported a number of huskies went at her that way and she found ways to turn it on them. May our opponents learn those lessons and be forced to rethink any such strategy.

Reaction Score
So who is geno starting in the post collier or Z? I'm pretty sure geno will choose the one that shows what they can do in practice not by what they did last season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So who is geno starting in the post collier or Z? I'm pretty sure geno will choose the one that shows what they can do in practice not by what they did last season.
Which is probably good since Z did not play "last season".

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
What are you going to say then when they win games 95- 40? Just "wow?" Or are you also going to say something else? You know we're going to win a lot of games by over 35, right? So before she cooks can't I tell Jennifer Lawrence which uniform I'd like to see her wear? :):)
A UConn husky uniform!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jen's a baller? Gotta love it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom