Azura | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Azura

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what you mean by the bold in totality. I think I do but not sure. I can see AZ play "guard-like" for a big. But imo there is no way no way no way Geno is going let a 6'6 player not work quite a bit on her inside game UNLESS the 6'6 player is like a "Magic Johnson" or shoots like Katie Lou/ Delle Donne. I don't think she shoots like either. As a result, when there are times as Geno has said about Lou that her shot isn't falling - what can she do? AZ if playing a guard would let the other team off the hook. There is no way IMO Geno is going ot let her do that. IMO Geno "toughens" players. OFC he'll want AZ to shoot from the outside but also she is 6'6 and long. He'll want her to play very well on the inside too. For example, I think she can be a very good offensive rebounder. How many times do we hear Geno say last year "I'd like to see us get more offensive rebounds." IMO AZ's growth as a player will come a lot from how well she can finish inside and rebound inside. We already know she can shoot the ball. For a player like AZ's talent- Geno will not pigeon-hole her to just being a perimeter player with the type of size and athleticism she has. He''ll want her to play tough and that will mean also being a force in the paint.

Z to me is a lot more like Kevin Durant then she is Karl Anthony Towns. Maybe she'll end up playing a similar role to that of JJ from the Connecticut Sun, but I think if you have a player who is 6'6 with her skill set, it's not an advantage to the other team playing her outside of the post, it would be a big advantage to Uconn. If Collier and Camara are used as a 4/5 combo and you play Z at the 3, I can't see any team being able to defend a line up with Z as the Small Forward.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
All this talk about "Out of Position"
If anything last years team should have showed us, that to every advantage there can also be a disadvantage..
The key is which Team/Coach is able to make the most of each Match-up on a given night..

Collier who I would label as a Small Forward in the WNBA, was placed on the floor both offensively and defensively, where her skillset could have the most impact for that team to be successful.. Sometimes that meant taking players off the dribble, other times Isolating a player down low, using her quickness and beating them to a position for an easy score, (Finding gaps in the Motion Offense) and finally on occasion coming off a screen for an outside shot beyond the arc..

I'm sure we are all aware you don't have to be a "post player" to score in the post, many teams will try to post up their guards if that is the best match up on a given night, having an offense which places the defense at a disadvantage is the typical goal for each team.. and being able to score from any place on the floor with proper spacing and balance..

With all of that said, what exactly is Playing out of position? Teams who are still thinking with that position structured mentality will always struggle against Geno as he is the master at finding and exploiting a teams weakness..

Reaction Score
One of the many things we will get to see-- obviously, Geno saw a replay of Aja eating Z's lunch (hope it wasn't an expensive lunch)--and told her where her weakest point (s) happened to be--another fun event we must anticipate.
She probably doesn't eat a big lunch. Maybe she should eat more.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If anything last years team should have showed us, that to every advantage there can also be a disadvantage..
The key is which Team/Coach is able to make the most of each Match-up on a given night..

Collier who I would label as a Small Forward in the WNBA, was placed on the floor both offensively and defensively, where her skillset could have the most impact for that team to be successful.. Sometimes that meant taking players off the dribble, other times Isolating a player down low, using her quickness and beating them to a position for an easy score, (Finding gaps in the Motion Offense) and finally on occasion coming off a screen for an outside shot beyond the arc..

I'm sure we are all aware you don't have to be a "post player" to score in the post, many teams will try to post up their guards if that is the best match up on a given night, having an offense which places the defense at a disadvantage is the typical goal for each team.. and being able to score from any place on the floor with proper spacing and balance..

With all of that said, what exactly is Playing out of position? Teams who are still thinking with that position structured mentality will always struggle against Geno as he is the master at finding and exploiting a teams weakness..
Playing out of position and where Geno chooses to deploy a particular player are two different things. Geno saw something in Gabby and determined that she would be best utilized in the post=pure genius. Genius because at the time Geno saw this UCONN already had arguably the best 3 post players on the same UCONN roster in Stevie, Morgan, Kiah Stokes.
When I say playing out of position I'm mostly talking about defensively. It takes a combination of bulk and size to defend the post on a consistent basis. Gabby is athlete to overcome much of this but not all. For example Gabby can and did out jump Turner of ND and snag rebounds but a sturdier 6'7" McGowan of Miss. State exhausted her and easily out maneuvered her in the post down the stretch.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Both Gabby and Napheesa played out of position last year primarily because neither has the size or build to defend full time in the post. The fact that both had AA seasons playing in the post is a tribute to their greatness and the UConn staff ability to develop players well beyond the skills they came into college with. Simply put I am not sure Gabby or Napheesa would be AA at anyplace besides UConn regardless of the position each played. Speaking of those two, realistic chance of keeping DPOY award in UConn house for 4 consecutive years by the time Napheesa graduates.
The high post/low post game UConn ran with Gabby and Pheesa worked very well, with each excelling in their roles, last season. Maybe, with KLS and Z on the wings and Kia or CD at the point, that's exactly where Geno will want them positioned again this season.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Katie Lou Samuelson ........... Just noticed her mostly absence and didn't want her to feel slighted. Now that I got that at of the way and in the interest of "thread drift" did you notice our Texas freshwoman Lexi mention Lou along with Molly as the leaders in conditioning drills?

Reaction Score
Katie Lou Samuelson ...... Just noticed her mostly absence and didn't want her to feel slighted. Now that I got that at of the way and in the interest of "thread drift" did you notice our Texas freshwoman Lexi mention Lou along with Molly as the leaders in conditioning drills?
Yes! sounds like Molly is making more of an impact on the team then most people would expect.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what you mean by the bold in totality. I think I do but not sure. I can see AZ play "guard-like" for a big. But imo there is no way no way no way Geno is going let a 6'6 player not work quite a bit on her inside game UNLESS the 6'6 player is like a "Magic Johnson" or shoots like Katie Lou/ Delle Donne. I don't think she shoots like either. As a result, when there are times as Geno has said about Lou that her shot isn't falling - what can she do? AZ if playing a guard would let the other team off the hook. There is no way IMO Geno is going ot let her do that. IMO Geno "toughens" players. OFC he'll want AZ to shoot from the outside but also she is 6'6 and long. He'll want her to play very well on the inside too. For example, I think she can be a very good offensive rebounder. How many times do we hear Geno say last year "I'd like to see us get more offensive rebounds." IMO AZ's growth as a player will come a lot from how well she can finish inside and rebound inside. We already know she can shoot the ball. For a player like AZ's talent- Geno will not pigeon-hole her to just being a perimeter player with the type of size and athleticism she has. He''ll want her to play tough and that will mean also being a force in the paint.

I am so lacking in Basketball knowledge --so many of you are "EXPERTS" --that I am fearful of saying this: (But that has rarely held me back._)

Ask your self--what position in this Uconn team is most lacking in size, mobility, ability, etc??
Which position was played the last year by dramatically undersized personnel
Which personnel were FORCED (too strong a word but) to play other than their natural positions?
Which position if filled by a person of the proper size, with proper skills, needs filling?
How often does Geno use players with the correct skills and size to NOT fill the needed positions?]
Is Geno capable of redirecting desires and skills and re-educating/training to fill his needs?

Answer those and you'll have a good idea where GENO may use her, regardless of her former usage by JPM--whom everyone knows is the most skillful adapter of personnel skill sets. Ok forget JPM, concentrate on what Geno will do!!

Reaction Score
The high post/low post game UConn ran with Gabby and Pheesa worked very well, with each excelling in their roles, last season. Maybe, with KLS and Z on the wings and Kia or CD at the point, that's exactly where Geno will want them positioned again this season.

The high/low game has been a staple of Coach Auriemma's offense for the quite some time. From Collier/Williams, Tuck/Stewart. Stewart/Dolson, Dolson/Moore, Moore/Charles, etc.

Reaction Score
Katie Lou Samuelson ...... Just noticed her mostly absence and didn't want her to feel slighted. Now that I got that at of the way and in the interest of "thread drift" did you notice our Texas freshwoman Lexi mention Lou along with Molly as the leaders in conditioning drills?

Yes. I replayed the video twice to make sure my ears were not deceiving me. It kinda came across as "oh, and of course Lou." As if this was to be expected. How cool!

Reaction Score
I am so lacking in Basketball knowledge --so many of you are "EXPERTS" --that I am fearful of saying this: (But that has rarely held me back._)

Ask your self--what position in this UConn team is most lacking in size, mobility, ability, etc??
Which personnel were FORCED (too strong a word but) to play other than their natural positions?
Which position if filled by a person of the proper size, with proper skills, needs filling?
How often does Geno use players with the correct skills and size to NOT fill the needed positions?]
Is Geno capable of redirecting desires and skills and re-educating/training to fill his needs?

Answer those and you'll have a good idea where GENO may use her, regardless of her former usage by JPM--whom everyone knows is the most skillful adapter of personnel skill sets. Ok forget JPM, concentrate on what Geno will do!!

Has Williams ever played anything other then a Power Forward or Center while she's been at Uconn? It would appear that she started a handful of games at the 3 in her sophomore year, but I would consider her a unique but undersized post player.

Reaction Score
Z to me is a lot more like Kevin Durant then she is Karl Anthony Towns. Maybe she'll end up playing a similar role to that of JJ from the Connecticut Sun, but I think if you have a player who is 6'6 with her skill set, it's not an advantage to the other team playing her outside of the post, it would be a big advantage to UConn. If Collier and Camara are used as a 4/5 combo and you play Z at the 3, I can't see any team being able to defend a line up with Z as the Small Forward.

I don';t see anything close to Kevin Durant or Townes. But I do see close to Stewie. IMO she needs to learn how to use her size both inside and out. Therefore she needs to work on her great size and athleticism, along with movement without the basketball. In addition, UCONN actually runs an offense which I don't believe Duke does.

I think it would be letting teams off the hook for her to play a lot on the outside. You allow smaller players ot guard her. She doesn't shoot like Lou etc. I see Lou as more of a Durant. I see Az as a good shooter but not a great one. So as you mentioned, would love her to work on being a beast on the offensive boards (if that is what you meant) if she were to play like JJ. I think Gneo will have to work her hard to get like that.

As a result, keeping her as a sf will waste her talents. Because she can be a tremendous version of "stewie" this year (and the next if she stays.). Keeping her at sf allows smaller players to guard her and dare her to hit 3's in which she is good but not great. I'd much rather see Lou taking 3's and a couple of others. Though I do want Az to take 3's too. Just feel she is better served being a socrer inside as well - thus allowing Lou and others more open shots.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Just feel she is better served being a socrer inside as well - thus allowing Lou and others more open shots.
I'll be disappointed if Z doesn't display some advanced footwork around the basket and a variety of shots there as well.

Reaction Score

Ask your self--what position in this UConn team is most lacking in size, mobility, ability, etc??

I'm not sure where are argument is and why you made this post to me and not the person who thinks AZ should be a sf? I'm the one arguing she will be used inside like Stewie. The other poster is saying she will be a sf. So are you disagreeing with me - in that I think she'll be used like Stewie?

I believe this because I heard Geno once during an interview after Baylor lost to Louisville say if he had Griner, he would have had her also step out from the low post box and make plays / shoot the ball outside of the paint, and not just keep her inside. In addition, I heard at one time one of Baylor's big forwards that played a couple of years for Baylor - a terrific athletic player with not much of an outside shot say she felt like she was playing in a box - and she couldn't move outside of the box. Geno's offense is predicated on movement and versatility. AZ imo will be a perfect compliment because she can be inside and out. He will NOT put her in the box that Kim put Griner and others.

Geno will work on AZ becoming a compelte player. And that will mostly mean I think what you're saying is inside? But she'll also be quite bit outside. We're going to be winning a lot of games by 30-60 points. He'll put players in different positions.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
IMO ofc she did. There were reason why she was in foul trouble a lot vs the eltie teams because she was forced to guard consistently more taller players. Collier is a forward that was forced to play against big centers.

I think if you go game-by-game you'd see Collier wasn't committing a bunch of fouls against larger players. Ok, she was in some foul trouble against Baylor. Well, they had one of the largest teams in recent memory. Large and talented. She had zero fouls against a huge Texas squad and was as big a reason for UConn winning as anyone. She more than held her own against the USC giants. She committed three fouls against ND despite going against the much bigger Turner all night, and one of those was an offensive foul when she had nowhere to go after an offensive rebound.

Now, that's not to say you wouldn't ideally have a taller player defending some of the taller opponents UConn faced. But I don't agree with the notion that she played out of position "all year."

Reaction Score
Collier who I would label as a Small Forward in the WNBA, was placed on the floor both offensively and defensively, where her skillset could have the most impact for that team to be successful..

Collier or Gabby played out of position when they had to defend a big center. Why do you think UCONN got so annihilated in the 1st quarter off the glass vs Miss State? Why do you think Collier was so often in foul trouble? Why do you think so many teams tried to attack UCONN in the paint? It didn't work overall - but take a look at that Texas game. We needed Nat. And Nat provided HUGE minutes vs Baylor. Her talent is nowhere near Collier or Gabby-- so why do you think Gabby/Collier struggled so much against Baylor and Texas defensively and got so crushed on the glass in the 1st qtr vs Miss State?

Reaction Score
I think if you go game-by-game you'd see Collier wasn't committing a bunch of fouls against larger players. Ok, she was in some foul trouble against Baylor. Well, they had one of the largest teams in recent memory. Large and talented. She had zero fouls against a huge Texas squad and was as big a reason for UConn winning as anyone. She more than held her own against the USC giants. She committed three fouls against ND despite going against the much bigger Turner all night, and one of those was an offensive foul when she had nowhere to go after an offensive rebound.

Now, that's not to say you wouldn't ideally have a taller player defending some of the taller opponents UConn faced. But I don't agree with the notion that she played out of position "all year."

Yes you are right. I wish I could find other posts where I included other points as to why Collier was out of position-- though I don't take the time to point them out all the time-- here are examples imo which show why Collier is out of position as a center. And the examples aren't vs bad teams other than 1 - which we almost lsot to them:

1--- For example vs ND at the 1:48 mark of the 1st qtr Collier picked up her 2nd foul because she was on the low post and tried setting a pick for Lou. She shouldn't be the one setting picks for others starting on the low block. She should be getting picks set for her. She’s an elite scorer with some handle. Centers are more “pick-savvy.” In this case the defender got around Collier so she was forced to push out her butt to try to give Lou space. If she is playing her natural positions, she is getting the pick SET FOR HER more than what she got this past year. Being a primary pick-setter increases the odds of a cheap foul. THAT IS NOT COLLIER"S strength. There is more to playing out of position than just defense inside.

2--- Her 1st foul in 1st qtr vs Tulane- fighting defensively for position vs the other team’s center. Then after she had 3 fouls – in 3rd qtr with 5:35 left she picks up her 4th because UCONN needs her in the post. The opposing player flops while Collier tried to back her down for low post position. If she is in her natural position as a forward, she is less likely to CONTINUALLY try to establish low post position thus increasing her odds for a cheap foul. With 3 fouls she was forced to still be aggressive in the post to get position.

3—Below is link what Collier had to say vs Texas and then the coach of Texas also has a comment on Geno's adjustments from the same game. Link below. SO in reading the comments: Why would Collier say "it is tougher for her and Gabby" if playing on the inside was Collier's natural position? Why would the coach of Texas say she had a mismatch with Kelsey if Collier's natural postion was guarding big centers? And secondly why would UCONN surround the Texas center with 3 or 4 players if Collier's natural position was center? : The point is its irrelevant to give Collier an “acknowledgement” that she isn’t playing out of position JUST BECAUSE she didn’t commit any fouls without looking at the context. And in this Texas game, UCONN NEEDED EXTRA DEFENDERS to guard Kelsey because as Collier said "she is small" -- and imo because she is playing out of position. Otherwise why so many defenders needed to guard Kelsey?

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/recaps/120416aab.html

On guarding the size of the Texas players:

"It was a little tougher for Gabby and I because we are smaller post, so we really had to help each other on the opposite side. I think that really helped a lot because they couldn't play over us."

On Geno’s adjustments:

“I thought he made some adjustments on Kelsey. I thought it was the turning point that we did have a mismatch in there and Kelsey was playing well and we didn’t move for her. You can look at her seven turnover and say oh gosh Kelsey why’d you turn it over seven times but we’re all standing there with three or four people around her and we didn’t move into space and into her vision and that’s where I mean execution."

4: The games Texas and Miss State look at the 1st quarter of both. Texas got NINE offensive rebounds and Miss State GOT SEVEN in Qtr#1. How else can a UCONN team get that badly beaten on the glass with super athletes like Collier and Gabby if they are actually playing in their natural positions? The answer is -- they are small. They played out of position and needed their teammates at times to "Sell out" and help defend the post.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Very glad to have Azura at UConn but "luck" had nothing to do with it. UConn has only lost two games since Azura left HS= a lot of hard work to make the program attractive enough for talented players to want to join.
An speaking of attractive programs Duke with Sophomore Azura missed the NCAA tournament. Duke without Azura not only made the tournament but they also beat #1 (at the time) South Carolina.
Azura also had 18pts, 10rebs, and a couple blocks when she was a Freshman against Uconn with either Stewie, Stokes or Tuck guarding her.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Agreed. I have referred to Batouly as a "working man's" Morgan Tuck. She is strong, play's defense, rebounds and can score from 15 ft in, but doesn't have Tuck's all-around game.

Still, for what UConn needs, Batouly will provide solid minutes off the bench either at the 4 or 5.
I am not saying you are wrong, but how can you be so committed to saying this about Camara? When have you seen her play or what pedigree is there to demonstrate this? In looking at her UK numbers, nothing says poor man's Morgan, nor does she have any USA Basketball or other noteworthy awards. This is like the common theme around here for many of the unheralded players with members spouting opinion as fact. We have heard similar claims about Kyla, Molly, Nat, and the 4 freshman. Again where more evidence is apparent, I am all for opinion- Walker has pedigree on so many USA teams as a starter and large minute contributor. Same for Crystal Dangerfield who is again playing on U19. Azura was a strong player at Duke earning all ACC honors and has been on the USA hoop list. Camara is still an unknown and I liken her to the Nat hype on "how well she looked in practice". So while I have much respect for you, this liking BC to Morgan even as a "working man's version" is not evident and Not fair to Morgan who was truly special and not fair to BC to put her in the lofty expectation category. Again, I don't want to come across as a negative, as I am not, I just want realistic views based on apparent evidence and not just in Batouly's case but in all of the players.
For the upcoming year, we know what to get from 6, we think we know what Walker provides, the others are all unknowns with some strong suspicions based on some data. That's it.

Reaction Score
I think we are all going a bit crazy over azura. Yes clearly she's A talented player at a position where we need the help but I feel like expectations are now thru the roof and into outer space. Someone was comparing her to Kevin Durant ha ha. I'd love to see that 1 on 1 game. Because she had to sit out and it's been over a year of thinking about her it's just gotten nuts. Imaging if she actually struggles her first few game like any other first time huskies. Wow watch out boneyard scrapnel.

Can we dial it down a notch to just crazed excitement??

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think we are all going a bit crazy over azura. Yes clearly she's A talented player at a position where we need the help but I feel like expectations are now thru the roof and into outer space. Someone was comparing her to Kevin Durant ha ha. I'd love to see that 1 on 1 game. Because she had to sit out and it's been over a year of thinking about her it's just gotten nuts. Imaging if she actually struggles her first few game like any other first time huskies. Wow watch out boneyard scrapnel.

Can we dial it down a notch to just crazed excitement??
The expectations are appropriate for this team but not just because of Azura. UCONN would have been the favorite returning 4 starters (3 AA). UCONN would have been the favorite with just adittion of Megan Walker. Part of the reason Azura signed is because of those expectations. I say pump up the volume on expectation because I can't think of UCONN WBB team that has not met the expectation.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I am not saying you are wrong, but how can you be so committed to saying this about Camara? When have you seen her play or what pedigree is there to demonstrate this? In looking at her UK numbers, nothing says poor man's Morgan, nor does she have any USA Basketball or other noteworthy awards. This is like the common theme around here for many of the unheralded players with members spouting opinion as fact. We have heard similar claims about Kyla, Molly, Nat, and the 4 freshman. Again where more evidence is apparent, I am all for opinion- Walker has pedigree on so many USA teams as a starter and large minute contributor. Same for Crystal Dangerfield who is again playing on U19. Azura was a strong player at Duke earning all ACC honors and has been on the USA hoop list. Camara is still an unknown and I liken her to the Nat hype on "how well she looked in practice". So while I have much respect for you, this liking BC to Morgan even as a "working man's version" is not evident and Not fair to Morgan who was truly special and not fair to BC to put her in the lofty expectation category. Again, I don't want to come across as a negative, as I am not, I just want realistic views based on apparent evidence and not just in Batouly's case but in all of the players.
For the upcoming year, we know what to get from 6, we think we know what Walker provides, the others are all unknowns with some strong suspicions based on some data. That's it.
DBB, you must have had a rough weekend to come out Monday morning looking for an argument. OK, I'm game. I have seen Batouly play on several occasions as a freshmen at KY. She is 6'2", strong, with good footwork, a nice soft shot around the basket, and she can score with either hand. She is a tough defender and a fierce rebounder. She doesn't have Tuck's shooting range and overall offensive skills, hence my description of her as a "Working Man's" Morgan Tuck. Batouly's best game as a freshman was at Columbia, SC where she had 14 pts and 9 rebounds while battling Coates & Wilson.

But you seem to want evidence so let's look at the numbers from Batouly's freshman year at KY vs Tuck's freshman year at UConn. Batouly played 33 games as a freshman, starting 14, vs Tuck's 35 games with only 2 starts. Batouly led Tuck in avg min/gm-18.3 to 15.8, FG%-49% to 45%, rebounds-4.3 gm to 3.4 gm, blocks-30 to 9. Tuck led Batouly in 3pt shooting-13/45 (29%) to 0/1 (0%), FT%-66% to 53%, assists-47 to 19, turnovers-43 to 60, steals-19 to 6 and scoring-6.6 ppg to 5.1 ppg. In my mind the numbers are remarkably similar and justify comparing the two 6'2" power forwards with similar skillsets.

But you are correct, my comparison may not be fair. I may be selling Batouly short. She is about to make her sophomore leap, with the added bonus of a full year working with the UConn coaching staff as a redshirt. Batouly will be good, and she may be very good. IMO she will be the first frontcourt sub for either Z or Pheesa and I suspect that there will be times when Geno will want to go with a big frontline when Z, Pheesa & Batouly will be on the court together. On such occasions, if Gabby is also on the court with them, it may be virtually impossible for the opposing team to get a rebound at either end of the court.

Finally, I have never made claims about Molly, Kyla and Nat, while I know some have. So what if they did? This is an opinion board. As far as the incoming freshmen, based on what I have seen in all-star games and highlight videos, I have suggested that Coombs will earn playing time before the others based on her defensive ability as well as her passing skills.

I hope next weekend is a better one for you.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
DBB, you must have had a rough weekend to come out Monday morning looking for an argument. OK, I'm game. I have seen Batouly play on several occasions as a freshmen at KY. She is 6'2", strong, with good footwork, a nice soft shot around the basket, and she can score with either hand. She is a tough defender and a fierce rebounder. She doesn't have Tuck's shooting range and overall offensive skills, hence my description of her as a "Working Man's" Morgan Tuck. Batouly's best game as a freshman was at Columbia, SC where she had 14 pts and 9 rebounds while battling Coates & Wilson.

But you seem to want evidence so let's look at the numbers from Batouly's freshman year at KY vs Tuck's freshman year at UConn. Batouly played 33 games as a freshman, starting 14, vs Tuck's 35 games with only 2 starts. Batouly led Tuck in avg min/gm-18.3 to 15.8, FG%-49% to 45%, rebounds-4.3 gm to 3.4 gm, blocks-30 to 9. Tuck led Batouly in 3pt shooting-13/45 (29%) to 0/1 (0%), FT%-66% to 53%, assists-47 to 19, turnovers-43 to 60, steals-19 to 6 and scoring-6.6 ppg to 5.1 ppg. In my mind the numbers are remarkably similar and justify comparing the two 6'2" power forwards with similar skillsets.

But you are correct, my comparison may not be fair. I may be selling Batouly short. She is about to make her sophomore leap, with the added bonus of a full year working with the UConn coaching staff as a redshirt. Batouly will be good, and she may be very good. IMO she will be the first frontcourt sub for either Z or Pheesa and I suspect that there will be times when Geno will want to go with a big frontline when Z, Pheesa & Batouly will be on the court together. On such occasions, if Gabby is also on the court with them, it may be virtually impossible for the opposing team to get a rebound at either end of the court.

Finally, I have never made claims about Molly, Kyla and Nat, while I know some have. So what if they did? This is an opinion board. As far as the incoming freshmen, based on what I have seen in all-star games and highlight videos, I have suggested that Coombs will earn playing time before the others based on her defensive ability as well as her passing skills.

I hope next weekend is a better one for you.
But @oldude let's get to the heart of the matter because comparing Morgan's freshmen numbers to Bartouly is way off. Morgan had Dolson, Stevie, & Stokes in front of her and still managed to put up those numbers. Who did Bartouly have to play behind at KY that prevented her from putting up better numbers?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
But @oldude let's get to the heart of the matter because comparing Morgan's freshmen numbers to Bartouly is way off. Morgan had Dolson, Stevie, & Stokes in front of her and still managed to put up those numbers. Who did Bartouly have to play behind at KY that prevented her from putting up better numbers?
While I acknowledge that comparing numbers is always fraught with danger, I would point out that Batouly was banging up against BIGS in the SEC, a very good, physical and competitive conference. Outside of ND, the Big East was not a strong conference in WBB. As a freshman, a lot of Tuck's minutes were in a mop-up role against inferior competition when she could pad her stats.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
While I acknowledge that comparing numbers is always fraught with danger, I would point out that Batouly was banging up against BIGS in the SEC, a very good, physical and competitive conference. Outside of ND, the Big East was not a strong conference in WBB. As a freshman, a lot of Tuck's minutes were in a mop-up role against inferior competition when she could pad her stats.
I would point out that Bartouly did not make The SEC all freshmen team. In the 2013 NCAA tournament Dolson was injured and it was Freshman Tuck who proved to be her crucial backup including excellent play in ND FF game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom