Auriemma talks about four players filling significant roles | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Auriemma talks about four players filling significant roles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like this

I like this chip on their shoulders dynamic. "Go ahead, count us out, wait til next year", all reasons for the team to focus and work hard. And it's true, Geno doesn't have anything to prove, that's saved for Muffet McGraw.

I think Geno is really looking forward to this year, mainly because his usual motivational tool (everyone expects us to win, so we shall) won't really work this year. So now he gets to try a different tact (everyone expects us to be "average", so we will surprise everyone with our hard work). I remember hearing one of his interviews where he said he was looking forward to this year, for just that reason.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Has nothing to do with me being a N.D. fan. Its my basketball opinion in general. They lost 3 All Americans. It will take time for this team to get things rolling. Especially if they start a rookie point guard. They have a really tough schedule . Like i said before when the smoke clears i see them being a Final Four team. I said 3 years ago Notre Dame will win it all this year because i knew Stewie would be gone.It's to late to change my mind now. Its funny when i say they will lose more then one how people get up tight and on the defense just because im a N.D. fan. Several U Conn fans have said themselves they could see 2 or 3 loses this year .Im just being honest and not being mean. 2 losses is a possibility with all the adjustments and changes they have to deal with. Especially early in the season.
Believe me. Uconn WILL lose at least 3 games and maybe more early in the season. However, by tournament time when everything should be clicking, they will be HARD to beat by ANY team, imo.

Reaction Score
I too think we will lose 3 or 4 games this year. I compare this Team to the 2012 club, which had one senior; Tiff Hayes, one junior: Faris, two sophomores: Dolson and Hartley, and a super frosh: KML. Very talented, but pretty young. That seems to compare with the current club. They went 33-5, losing to ND (3), Baylor, and St. Johns; reaching the final four with one of their 3 ND losses at that stage.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
BobbyJ, if Bent plays well it won't be a surprise to me. I just think she is not someone who plays basketball, she is a basketball PLAYER, imo. There is a difference.
25566060.jpg

Reaction Score
Has nothing to do with me being a N.D. fan. Its my basketball opinion in general. They lost 3 All Americans. It will take time for this team to get things rolling. Especially if they start a rookie point guard. They have a really tough schedule . Like i said before when the smoke clears i see them being a Final Four team. I said 3 years ago Notre Dame will win it all this year because i knew Stewie would be gone.It's to late to change my mind now. Its funny when i say they will lose more then one how people get up tight and on the defense just because im a N.D. fan. Several U Conn fans have said themselves they could see 2 or 3 loses this year .Im just being honest and not being mean. 2 losses is a possibility with all the adjustments and changes they have to deal with. Especially early in the season.

Dillon --was whom that posting was to. Dillion IS ND inside and out--
On a UConn site---possibilities are possible--honesty is good--
You probably predicted the Final 4 for ND last year---what happened??
I've said this before and again and again: It is not where you are in Nov, Dec, Feb---it's where you are in March (Quote Geno)
Every top team ND, USC, Duke (yes Duke), Baylor,Tx etc have predicted that they will win it all THIS year--and they have been predicting that for at least 2 years---that's why Geno couldn't get many to sign up to play Uconn until this spring--WONDER WHY???
Have you seen Crystal play?? I have and she does not play like a rookie--early on she'll make freshmen mistakes--but not by FF4

Reaction Score
Believe me. Uconn WILL lose at least 3 games and maybe more early in the season. However, by tournament time when everything should be clicking, they will be HARD to beat by ANY team, imo.
Im thinking 2. But yes they have a lot of adjustments to make. Come tournament time they should have the kinks worked out and ready to make some noise.

Reaction Score
Dillon --was whom that posting was to. Dillion IS ND inside and out--
On a UConn site---possibilities are possible--honesty is good--
You probably predicted the Final 4 for ND last year---what happened??
I've said this before and again and again: It is not where you are in Nov, Dec, Feb---it's where you are in March (Quote Geno)
Every top team ND, USC, Duke (yes Duke), Baylor,Tx etc have predicted that they will win it all THIS year--and they have been predicting that for at least 2 years---that's why Geno couldn't get many to sign up to play Uconn until this spring--WONDER WHY???
Have you seen Crystal play?? I have and she does not play like a rookie--early on she'll make freshmen mistakes--but not by FF4
I saw her play in the McDonalds game and Jordan classic. She was ok. She is quick. I saw several other girls that impressed more. Boley. Cox, Romero, Ionescue, Holmes, Young to name a few. As for me predicting N.D. in the Final Four. Yes i did. But i had them losing in The Final Four. They dodged to many bullets winning close games to Ohio ST, Depaul, UCLA, Oregon ST. Even Georgia Tech gave them trouble. And height wise they did not match up with some of the better teams. To be honest i was more surprised Baylor and South Carolina didn't make it then the Irish.

Reaction Score
I saw her play in the McDonalds game and Jordan classic. She was ok. She is quick. I saw several other girls that impressed more. Boley. Cox, Romero, Ionescue, Holmes, Young to name a few. As for me predicting N.D. in the Final Four. Yes i did. But i had them losing in The Final Four. They dodged to many bullets winning close games to Ohio ST, Depaul, UCLA, Oregon ST. Even Georgia Tech gave them trouble. And height wise they did not match up with some of the better teams. To be honest i was more surprised Baylor and South Carolina didn't make it then the Irish.

Danger is much better than that all-star game. Thanks to slu I got a chance to watch her several games- and I'm with broaodwayva and others - as long as she is healthy - she is going to be really, really good. I'm wondering if she is "Khalid El-Amin" in his freshman year when he was dynamic. She can get anywhere she wants on the floor with the ball and has a terrific change-of-pace from what I remember. OFC vs top teams could be a problem but she'll have another experienced guard in the backcourt with Nurse and maybe even Chong at times.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
Wow, I think we can declare a winner just 3 days into practice! The award? The "Damn With Faint Praise" award to a frosh who was recruited out of the top twenty. As sure as the swallows in the spring, this comes home to roost on the Boneyard every Fall. Remember last year's victims? How'd that turn out? Not good for last year's Big Micks.

Oh, wait, that was unkind. Let me amend my post:

View attachment 16213
Aaagh, Rocky! :) Bent is a hard worker and even an overachiever. UCONN are always on the lookout for that type of player.....you know, some talent and will run through a wall for you. Geno loves to bring in a player like that to raise the intensity and work-rate in practice. Molly will get minutes there is no doubt; but, NOT at crunch time.

That is just the way it is.....

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think that if Chong is playing well, Geno will be reluctant to pull her from the starting lineup even if one of the other guards begins to play better than her. Her biggest problem at uconn has seemed to be serious confidence drops during each of her first three years, and pulling her from the starting line-up might trigger another dip. I could see a situation like CD starting in the NCAAs her senior year and Bria coming off the bench fairly early - it worked for both of them and for the team even though by that point with CD's medical history Bria was clearly a better player. Chong has the same 'experience factor' and could provide the calming influence at the start of games that might be very valuable.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think that if Chong is playing well, Geno will be reluctant to pull her from the starting lineup even if one of the other guards begins to play better than her. Her biggest problem at uconn has seemed to be serious confidence drops during each of her first three years, and pulling her from the starting line-up might trigger another dip. I could see a situation like CD starting in the NCAAs her senior year and Bria coming off the bench fairly early - it worked for both of them and for the team even though by that point with CD's medical history Bria was clearly a better player. Chong has the same 'experience factor' and could provide the calming influence at the start of games that might be very valuable.
while Jefferson had the ball in her hand and was the quarterback of the team... Geno could afford to put Chong on the back burner or in the doghouse. Just like he did to Charde when Maya came along.
Now if Chong's "experience" doesn't help this team she'll be put in the same basket as Charde (headcase, didn't get it, underachieved... forgot the other title people gave Charde) and with Nurse coming in early that really pushed Chong deeper on the bench, cause Kia gets it.

Chong will be remembered for that dagger 3 that sealed the Stanford game (I think it was Stanford)... and of course the pass

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Chong will be remembered for that dagger 3 that sealed the Stanford game (I think it was Stanford)... and of course the pass

Maryland.

The Stanford game was when Chong hit a bunch of shots but really struggled guarding the perimeter.

Also, wasn't Charde Houston the #1 ranked player in her class? She was a nice player but the expectations coming in were that she would be great. Hard to live up to that.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Maryland.

The Stanford game was when Chong hit a bunch of shots but really struggled guarding the perimeter.

Also, wasn't Charde Houston the #1 ranked player in her class? She was a nice player but the expectations coming in were that she would be great. Hard to live up to that.
yup Maryland, went to change it but time had elapsed lol

Chong was ranked kind of high as well... but of course Charde was considered the Taurasi replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom