Auriemma talks about four players filling significant roles | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Auriemma talks about four players filling significant roles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A coach, any coach can not afford to keep that type of talent on the bench for very long. Crystal Dangerfield is going to play her way into the starting line up at some point. You don't have to have a "Crystal Ball", or be a genius to figure that out. CD is an exceptional talent. She's going to make a name for herself very quickly. This year, she will no doubt be compared to Moriah Jefferson in everything she does. The longer Mo is gone however, the more she and her exploits will fade from memory.

I'm an optimist. Call me crazy, but I've got a real good feeling about Dangerfield individually, and the team as a whole. I've been saying all summer, this team will surprise a lot of folks. They are not going to be as bad as some think. Especially after seeing the tease we got Friday night. What people can't seem to realize is that, yes UConn loss three great players to graduation, but so did some of the other top ranked teams. However, the Huskies cupboard is not bare. They've got some extremely talented players on their roster that have been in a support roll up to now. Now it's their turn, and just as Gloria Swanson told movie director Cecil B. Demille as she slowly strode toward the camera, they're ready for their "close up". Geno and staff will have them ready to play, and play at a high level all year.

We've been debating, discussing, pondering and predicting what kind of team the Huskies will field this year. The wait is just about over. The Baylor game is 1 month (Nov 17) from tomorrow. Any and all questions about team UConn will be answered then. UConn is not looking past Florida State by any means. That would be a grave mistake. The Seminoles finished last year ranked 10th in the USA Today coach's poll at 23-7, 17th in the AP top 25. ESPN's Charlie Creme has the Noles at #15 (UConn at #4) in his way too early preseason top 25 for 2016-2017.

The first exhibition game is only 16 days away. We'll find out then who the starters will be. The consensus is Nurse, Williams, Collier and Samuelson. Who the 5th starter will be is still up for debate.
I remind you what the returning players said during the homecoming parade 6 months ago: "We're not conceding anything". I don't know about you, but I like that kind of talk!!!

On the first day of practice, Geno has addressed his team the same way with respect to it's vision and overall team goal. He says: "You're not defending anything. You won the national championship trophy last season.
No one can come in here and take it from you. This is a new year. Let's go out there and attack the division, and impose our will on them". This team is no doubt looking to establish it's own identity.

I'm hoping they take the floor this year with a chip on their shoulder, feeling that they have something to prove. The eyes of Division 1 women's basketball will be on the Huskies to see how they fare. Teams will look to see if they are still as dominant as in years past, or if they have fallen back to the rest of the pack. Win or lose, UConn will be the talk of the WCBB world for a least the first month of the season. Especially after games against top 10 ranked opponents who some analysts feel have a legitimate chance of defeating them.

To borrow a line from former NFL NY Jet linebacker Bart Scott...."Can't wait"!! :cool:

To address your COLUMN .
Crystal isn't Moriah--Everyone remember that! She does not need that pressure. My Opinion, Crystal (or if you prefer CD2 (Caroline Doty is Christine Dailey)) will start before March. If she gets good time in Baylor, USF, ND games we'll all know what/who she is.

The 5th member of YOUR starting 5 is Butler--until she falls on her face (which I doubt) Again Baylor and USF will speak volumes of what the coaches think of Natalie.

Creame---Should know it's not the spot you start the season--it's the Ranking number at years end!!!

If you can't be optimistic about YOUR UCWBB team--you shouldn't be a FAN. Fans are supposed to believe until the final curtain.
As the former German General said to Gloria ---Smile until you fade to black!!

Actually I'm not one to believe in chips on shoulders--I'd like them to take the floor with the UConn Attitude--We are UConn--come on give us your best shot--remember you only get ONE SHOT..

As Mom said: (not as famous as Bart Scott) All things in due time. Wait a bit longer--the pudding will be that much better.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's nice to have Geno validate what a few of us here in the yard have been advocating all summer. Last year, Lou became a full time starter around late January. I guessing that may be the time (give or take a week) he could promote Crystal to the starting PG position.

Actually Geno stole that from me! I've long since hedged my bet by saying before March. Next week Geno will change his assessment.
I try to tell him not to be so obvious in using my predictions--but you know the guy--he has to rely on what we tell him to say.

Reaction Score
Crystal is Crystal Dangerfield. CD2 is Caroline Doty.

Did they dig her up?? I thought she was buried in Washington State. Doty just proved too many ACL's isn't good for your health.

Reaction Score
Thanks Kaizen. I'm still learning (trial and error) how to start posts.
You just hit on the most common learning tool, and the least appreciated. Many business people, scientists, inventors, (Edison), used that method to succeed. Join the crowd!!.

Reaction Score
Hey folks, Geno has already given us the heads-up on who will be the starting point guard--Nurse! Also (IMHO), Butler will join the 4 key players (Nurse, Lou, Gabby, Pheese) in the initial starting line-up. As we all know, that could be the starting line-up for a game or two or for a month or more. Butler looked fitter, faster, more relaxed, and I saw her get off the floor for a rebound or two.
After watching the Friday night game I see a super talented C. Danger, who (IMHO) will start games before the South Carolina game. Danger can shoot the 3 like Mo did as a Junior. Her handle is equal. Her speed/quickness is equal. Her passing is equal to Mo as a soph.
I see the major difference from Mo as a frosh is that Crystal has more poise and confidence. Crystal was an international player who ran the floor with Wilson, Coates, and Collier---and did very well. She knows she can fit in.
I also saw Chong playing more relaxed. ** I know this was a practice game on the third day of the pre-season, but that is what I saw. IMO Chong will be a valuable sub all season for the point or the two guard. With Crystal or Chong in then Butler will be out or subbing for Collier or GAbby.
I will be surprised if UConn is not in the Regional final game (Geno says its the most important and most pressure.) After that, its all up for grabs with the other 7-8 really good teams this year. After the top 8-9 I think the talent falls big time.
Anyway, I think it will be a fun year and Geno is looking forward to it because there is really less pressure than usual since everybody knows UConn is having a down year--or so they say!

Reaction Score
I was really impressed with Crystal's USA play at such a young age. She was composed and played within herself.
**** Dang! Just got the "new post" notification and saw that Philly Coach shared my thoughts before I did! (Except Im not so sure Crystal Dangerfield is as fast as Mo) Well, great minds...

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
Do you think she will outplay Chong and Bent? Yes, without a doubt. :cool:

It's Simple:

Crystal is an Elite PG.

Chong, while good, tends to be inconsistent and not always focused.

Bent is a hard worker and will give more to the team in practice than in games.

Chong will start in the early going; but, to have a chance at a 4th straight NC, we are going to need Crystal at PG asap.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Don't agree with this at all.
I'm with you Sluconn. How would he know how much Bent will give in a game? There is something about the look she has as if she is a no nonsense player who is determined to make sure she does not ride the bench for two years or more. Chong has the advantage in experience and if Dangerfield does not grasp the system it will not make much difference how much talent she has. However, Chong HAS to play better defense. I believe if she wins a starting position she will be a big offensive factor.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I've yet to see anything about Chong's IT Band situation. Anybody know?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Unless Chong is exceptionally improved over the past 2 years--she won't start. Geno has two bias's : 1. he is reluctant to start Frosh 2. if by the time you are a senior, and you have not started regularly in your former years--you sit a lot.
Initially ---Crystal MAY not start. Watch the Baylor game (not so much) or the ND game or the Ohio game--look at the minutes Crystal plays then--then you/ll know whether Crystal will be his starting guard anytime this season. My guess is Yesssss! Did you watch her USA play a year ago? As CARNAC said--she has speed and control--amazing combination for any level player. Geno needs that speed and control from his guards for both Defense and Offense. Molly --if what Geno says about her is not puffery--and she learns defense Geno style--(I suspect she shall) --she/ll start some in Conference games
To answer your question----Yes Crystal WILL outplay Chong and Bent. Since no one knows for certain---this is an OPINION based on viewing Crystals play.

Well, since you brought it up, Saniya was not among Geno's 4 was she. And she may see even less time this year for the reason you mentioned - bringing along younger players who show promise. Just that simple.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I've yet to see anything about Chong's IT Band situation. Anybody know?
A recent article indicated UCONN players are all recovered from recent injuries with the exception of Camara who is not fully cleared for contact. I not really familiar with IT band injury so can't speak to chance of recurrence but a post I read a while ago ( (maybe from @HuskyNan) indicated that IT band injury comes down to managing pain as in it never fully heals.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
A recent article indicated UCONN players are all recovered from recent injuries with the exception of Camara who is not fully cleared for contact. I not really familiar with IT band injury so can't speak to chance of recurrence but a post I read a while ago ( (maybe from @HuskyNan) indicated that IT band injury comes down to managing pain as in it never fully heals.
That's the impression I've had, from comments by Nan and Meg Culmo. (and Rosie, the former trainer?)

Reaction Score
Managing pain, from my experience if you don't want to be a zombie, is sucking up pain, exercises that work, heat, cold, heat cold--the military has a process of applying heat and cold that reduces pain. The Oxy does not work for me--all I want to do is sleep--and I don't like being constipated. Sucking up the pain--isn't for everyone or every condition--and if you can't handle the pain does not make you a coward or less of a person. I fear this may be Sanyia--more pain than her body can accept.

Reaction Score
Well, since you brought it up, Saniya was not among Geno's 4 was she. And she may see even less time this year for the reason you mentioned - bringing along younger players who show promise. Just that simple.
Geno is nothing if he is not Loyal. You play for him or even just practice hard for 3 plus years and he keeps you and gives you some pt if your body will handle it. But if you are not at 70 percent or more--if he wants to win he has to put his emphasis on the younger guys as you point out. I don't even think about it--as you point out--that Chong was NOT among his starting 4--he mentioned Kia as his starting Point for a while. So Bent and Crystal if they work hard on D may have some early exposure!!???

Reaction Score
Senior guards become valuable in March. If they have the tools that Chong has they are very very valuable. Sometimes steady nerves under stress is what is required. Chong showed me a lot in one shot, that corner 3 late in the Maryland game when I think the lead was down to 4-6. First that she didn't hesitate to try it, and second, that she nailed it. Despite how many minutes she gets she will contribute.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno is nothing if he is not Loyal. You play for him or even just practice hard for 3 plus years and he keeps you and gives you some pt if your body will handle it. But if you are not at 70 percent or more--if he wants to win he has to put his emphasis on the younger guys as you point out. I don't even think about it--as you point out--that Chong was NOT among his starting 4--he mentioned Kia as his starting Point for a while. So Bent and Crystal if they work hard on D may have some early exposure!!???

Yup, I think that is pretty clearly the case. Geno has to be mindful too that for most people the IT Band Syndrome is long term; it can go quiet but resurface at a most inopportune time.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Hey folks, Geno has already given us the heads-up on who will be the starting point guard--Nurse! Also (IMHO), Butler will join the 4 key players (Nurse, Lou, Gabby, Pheese) in the initial starting line-up. As we all know, that could be the starting line-up for a game or two or for a month or more. Butler looked fitter, faster, more relaxed, and I saw her get off the floor for a rebound or two.
After watching the Friday night game I see a super talented C. Danger, who (IMHO) will start games before the South Carolina game.

Danger can shoot the 3 like Mo did as a Junior. Her handle is equal. Her speed/quickness is equal. Her passing is equal to Mo as a Soph. I see the major difference from Mo as a frosh is that Crystal has more poise and confidence. Crystal was an international player who ran the floor with Wilson, Coates, and Collier---and did very well. She knows she can fit in. I also saw Chong playing more relaxed. ** I know this was a practice game on the third day of the preseason, but that is what I saw. IMO Chong will be a valuable sub all season for the point or the two guard.

With Crystal or Chong in then Butler will be out or subbing for Collier or Gabby. I will be surprised if UConn is not in the Regional final game (Geno says its the most important and most pressure.) After that, its all up for grabs with the other 7-8 really good teams this year. After the top 8-9 I think the talent falls big time. Anyway, I think it will be a fun year and Geno is looking forward to it because there is really less pressure than usual since everybody knows UConn is having a down year--or so they say!

PhillyCoach, you made a very important/key observation here: "I see the major difference from Mo as a frosh is that Crystal has more poise and confidence. Crystal was an international player who ran the floor with Wilson, Coates, and Collier---and did very well. She knows she can fit in". Crystal comes in knowing she can fit in, and play at this level right now. Confidence is a major factor in any player's ability to perform, and do so at a high level. She's a gamer, and a very special talent. That's why so many schools wanted her. They (coaches) saw those traits in her too.

Once she learns the offensive plays (she may already have. She arrived on campus the week after she graduated from HS, so she's had almost 3 months to learn the plays from coaches and other players), and the defensive schemes, she'll be ready to play extended minutes.

We all know Geno's coaching philosophy: "he won't play you if he doesn't/can't trust you". Geno may have tipped his hand. So, are we looking at a starting lineup of Nurse, Samuelson, Williams, Collier & Butler November 1 against IUP ?. It's not unimaginable you know, and we're not going to have to wait much longer to find out. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
PhillyCoach, you made a very important/key observation here: "I see the major difference from Mo as a frosh is that Crystal has more poise and confidence. Crystal was an international player who ran the floor with Wilson, Coates, and Collier---and did very well. She knows she can fit in". Crystal comes in knowing she can fit in, and play at this level right now. Confidence is a major factor in any player's ability to perform, and do so at a high level. She's a gamer, and a very special talent. That's why so many schools wanted her. They (coaches) saw those traits in her too.

Once she learns the offensive plays (she may already have. She arrived on campus the week after she graduated from HS, so she's had almost 3 months to learn the plays from coaches and other players), and the defensive schemes, she'll be ready to play extended minutes.

We all know Geno's coaching philosophy: "he won't play you if he doesn't/can't trust you". Geno may have tipped his hand. So, are we looking at a starting lineup of Nurse, Samuelson, Williams, Collier & Butler November 1 against IUP ?. It's not unimaginable you know, and we're not going to have to wait much longer to find out. :cool:

I watched a lot of Crystal in USA play, and Collier---that is where i fell in love with their GAME. Neither were shrinking violets or roses.
When the time came for either to take charge--they DID! Both Collier and Crystal are Prime TIME players.. The only thing that will hold Crystal from stating early (actually 2 things) : Defense and practice habits. Geno has a few "PLAYS' the basic play he depends on is :
he expects his players to read the defense and take advantage of a weakness or lapse. That is why he likes Crystal, Gabby, Collier, Bent and of course KIA---they are fundamentally sound players and knows the game. KLS belongs in that group too..

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
We all know Geno's coaching philosophy: "he won't play you if he doesn't/can't trust you".

In a different time of year, true. With this young team this is a find out time of year. He'll experiment and take risks.

Reaction Score
After watching the Friday night game I see a super talented C. Danger, who (IMHO) will start games before the South Carolina game. Danger can shoot the 3 like Mo did as a Junior. Her handle is equal. Her speed/quickness is equal. Her passing is equal to Mo as a soph.
I see the major difference from Mo as a frosh is that Crystal has more poise and confidence. Crystal was an international player who ran the floor with Wilson, Coates, and Collier---and did very well. She knows she can fit in.

I also saw Chong playing more relaxed. ** I know this was a practice game on the third day of the pre-season, but that is what I saw. IMO Chong will be a valuable sub all season for the point or the two guard. With Crystal or Chong in then Butler will be out or subbing for Collier or GAbby.
I will be surprised if UConn is not in the Regional final game (Geno says its the most important and most pressure.) After that, its all up for grabs with the other 7-8 really good teams this year. After the top 8-9 I think the talent falls big time.
Anyway, I think it will be a fun year and Geno is looking forward to it because there is really less pressure than usual since everybody knows UConn is having a down year--or so they say!

Hi Coach--where have you been lurking?? You said it all--GENO has ANNOUNCED his starting 4--- 5 can only go to Butler, who else will fill the hole in the post? Chong was visible by her absence. Gabby and Collier are good re bounders but in the past Gabby lost her effect against 6 ft 4 or larger posts. Gabby is fast and agile and intelligent--she is great at the point of a press.

Your insight is essential (since you agree with me). I've been saying the same thing since Crystal accepted Geno;s offer. I expect she may not start early season unless---she practices hard and plays good defense. Other than that she is a Prime time kid.

I don't like kicking a kid when she's down--Chong WAS a fantastic shooter, we have not seen much of that --a shot here or there --Stanford was never repeated--she does not handled the press well--. With 3 plus years of experience with Geno she should know the system, defense, that is her main asset. Geno did not specifically say--but by not saying Chong was one of the 4 or 5 or6 --it's easy t read she is not 4,5, or 6.\
I too expect Butler to be the 5th starter. Reasons: 1. Her size, she takes up a lot of room 2. Uconn needs her 3. she has had lots of time to learn Geno's Defense and offense. 4. If not Butler--who then?

Keep posting Coach--the season is about to begin--but FIRST speculation must be the game of the day..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom