Auriemma talks about four players filling significant roles | The Boneyard

Auriemma talks about four players filling significant roles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn hosted recruiting targets Friday night, including one of the top Class of 2018 players in Charli Collier of Texas. Other recruits at Gampel: Aliya Boston of Worcester Academy, Anaya Peoples of Illinois and Aubrey Griffin of Ossining High in New York. Griffin is the daughter of Oklahoma City Thunder assistant coach Adrian Griffin, who played nine years in the NBA and began his career with the Celtics. Another recruit, top Class of 2019 prospect Samantha Brunelle, will be on campus Saturday.

Great news. Geno really likes Ossining High.

Reaction Score
Aubrey Griffin,

The Ossining freshman has announced her presence with authority since stepping onto the floor and has been turning heads every step of the way. Griffin, a 5-foot-11 forward, grabs her second lohud girls basketball player of the week honor after averaging 41.0 points and 11.0 rebounds in two Pride wins last week, including a 49-point, 15-rebound display against Peekskill on Friday.

Player of the week (Jan. 17): Aubrey Griffin, Ossining

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Samuelson admitted the players have a chip on their shoulder because there is a perception that UConn will struggle without the BIG 3.
"I think everyone wants to prove that we're going to play together as a team, we're going to play the best we can, and we're going to go as far as we possibly can," Samuelson said.
I hope the girls keep that chip on their shoulders all year. It will help keep them focused on the task at hand through the tournament.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Glad it was posted. Gives a platform to post another, this time with Geno talking about the PG role. Mentions that Nurse's hernia surgery really put her back for the Olympics too.

And while she is not a pure point guard, but she may be asked to run the offense and be the on-court leader while Auriemma and his coaches find the right mix of players. Freshman Crystal Dangerfield could fill that slot, although it may be too much to ask of her early in her freshman year.

"Hopefully we can use [Nurse] the way we did the last couple of year," Auriemma said. "Give her more responsibility but at the same time don't take away the things that she's really, really good at by making her too concerned with, 'How's the rest of the team running?' That's just an added layer."

UConn Women: Expectations High For Kia Nurse

Reaction Score
What I take from this interview with Coach is that he is relaxed and optimistic...as well as realistic. After 4 straight NCs framed by 2 Gold Medals, of course he can rest on his laurels a bit. But I think it also shows that he's been in this spot before and has learned how to approach it. Geno is a very different person now (as are we all) and it will be great fun seeing how he handles this group through the anticipated adversity. (Of course the fact that he has a monster team emerging the following year has to help give him more of a philosophical bent as well.)

Carnac

Reaction Score
So Geno must think she could fill that slot late in her freshman year.

It's nice to have Geno validate what a few of us here in the yard have been advocating all summer. Last year, Lou became a full time starter around late January. I guessing that may be the time (give or take a week) he could promote Crystal to the starting PG position.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
It's nice to have Geno validate what a few of us here in the yard have been advocating all summer. Last year, Lou became a full time starter around late January. I guessing that may be the time (give or take a week) he could promote Crystal to the starting PG position.
You are assuming that at least one of the other guards won't be playing to Geno's satisfaction. Crystal may never start this season. She, imo, will have some tough competition for that second guard spot. However, your crystal ball must be telling you something different. Do you think she will outplay Chong and Bent? If she does she will deserve to start.

Carnac

Reaction Score
You are assuming that at least one of the other guards won't be playing to Geno's satisfaction. Crystal may never start this season. She, imo, will have some tough competition for that second guard spot. However, your crystal ball must be telling you something different. Do you think she will outplay Chong and Bent? If she does she will deserve to start.

Do you think she will outplay Chong and Bent? Yes, without a doubt. :cool:

Reaction Score
I still wouldn't be surprised to see something different at the beginning of the season: Kia at point; Lou at 2; Gabby and Napheesa at 3 and 4, and Natalie at 5. Against the big and experienced early season teams, this might give UConn the best chance. Then, as they move into conference play, working Crystal in, and, unless Natalie really surprises, having her get 20 minutes off the bench. Even if undersized, this latter team would be extremely fast and fluid, and playing uptempo is definitely Geno's preference.

Reaction Score
The master motivator--Geno--(Christine has been known to be exceptional at Motivation)--both will keep a chip in their sight.
The one thing that Uconn cannot dwell on is those that are gone---they are gone. Geno learned from his dance teacher---you only get to dance with the guy that brun ya. Geno brun them this far--and Katie Lou, Napheesa, Kia, Gabby, Chong, Butler--were brun this fur --now it's up to them to Tango to the NC. If there is a loss--the first loss will shock them to reality!!
Nice find Carnac..

Reaction Score
Bags---EXACTLY.
I still wouldn't be surprised to see something different at the beginning of the season: Kia at point; Lou at 2; Gabby and Napheesa at 3 and 4, and Natalie at 5. Against the big and experienced early season teams, this might give UConn the best chance. Then, as they move into conference play, working Crystal in, and, unless Natalie really surprises, having her get 20 minutes off the bench. Even if undersized, this latter team would be extremely fast and fluid, and playing uptempo is definitely Geno's preference.
Bags---Exactly!! A few have called this an "undersized team" 6/3, 6/5, 6/2, 5/11,6/0- Compare to the MOST teams they shall face--they are not tiny add Kyla at 6/2 --they are fairly good size---No none are 6/6 like baylor/Tx
But match up pretty well with ND or USC.
No offense, asking for information, why do you think UC WBB is undersized??

Reaction Score
I certainly hope Crystal is starting by January. That will mean that she is the real deal. This year's team is extremely young and inexperienced, so it would be good for our youngsters to be playing beyond their years. We have no returning players with first or second team all-conference awards--even though we are playing in the AAC. 2005 was the last time we had no returning All-conference players. That said, Gabby and Kia probably played well enough to earn 2nd team honors if they had more minutes and were not in the shadows of the Big three.

Reaction Score
Bags---EXACTLY.

Bags---Exactly!! A few have called this an "undersized team" 6/3, 6/5, 6/2, 5/11,6/0- Compare to the MOST teams they shall face--they are not tiny add Kyla at 6/2 --they are fairly good size---No none are 6/6 like baylor/Tx
But match up pretty well with ND or USC.
No offense, asking for information, why do you think UC WBB is undersized??
Thanks, BroadwayVa. I meant that with Crystal (5/5) and without Natalie in the starting lineup (your 6/5), it would be undersized a bit. Of course, Napheesa and Gabby can sky with the best of them, but there is no substitute for a strong and well built 5 going body-on-body underneath.

Reaction Score
Unless Chong is exceptionally improved over the past 2 years--she won't start. Geno has two bias's : 1. he is reluctant to start Frosh 2. if by the time you are a senior, and you have not started regularly in your former years--you sit a lot.
Initially ---Crystal MAY not start. Watch the Baylor game (not so much) or the ND game or the Ohio game--look at the minutes Crystal plays then--then you/ll know whether Crystal will be his starting guard anytime this season. My guess is Yesssss! Did you watch her USA play a year ago? As CARNAC said--she has speed and control--amazing combination for any level player. Geno needs that speed and control from his guards for both Defense and Offense. Molly --if what Geno says about her is not puffery--and she learns defense Geno style--(I suspect she shall) --she/ll start some in Conference games
To answer your question----Yes Crystal WILL outplay Chong and Bent. Since no one knows for certain---this is an OPINION based on viewing Crystals play.

Reaction Score
Thanks, BroadwayVa. I meant that with Crystal (5/5) and without Natalie in the starting lineup (your 6/5), it would be undersized a bit. Of course, Napheesa and Gabby can sky with the best of them, but there is no substitute for a strong and well built 5 going body-on-body underneath.

That
sentence says a lot more than is written. It continues the IF IF IF of Butler who came to Uconn with a superior record . This is her year to make or break--if she sits more than 5 minutes during the Baylor game in the first half ---that will tell us more than we now know. Yet I have great expectations and HOPES..

Reaction Score
Crystal IS
I certainly hope Crystal is starting by January. That will mean that she is the real deal. This year's team is extremely young and inexperienced, so it would be good for our youngsters to be playing beyond their years. We have no returning players with first or second team all-conference awards--even though we are playing in the AAC. 2005 was the last time we had no returning All-conference players. That said, Gabby and Kia probably played well enough to earn 2nd team honors if they had more minutes and were not in the shadows of the Big three.

Crystal is the REAL DEAL!! Moriah in her Frosh year has the same questions asked about her. The same number of top coaches wanted her too--why would Tn, Baylor, ND, USC etc want her if she were a project or no good?? Believe in Crystal and she'll give it back 1000 times!! Don't look for Geno to rush her.
I've got to say this: Crystal isn't Moriah (although it's hard to believe you arent watching Moriah at times when you see Crystal). Moriah did things (maybe) that Crystal won't do (maybe)--she will be Uconn's point by February --she will be UConn primary point next year.
Bent will sub for Crystal next year, this year in the AAC they'll share time at point. OPINION
I'm totally positive with a bit of pessimism thrown in with this entire team!!!

Carnac

Reaction Score
totally agree...the limited video of first night showed us that both her hands and feet are probably the quickest on the team...that should translate into great defense at the point , once she becomes UCONNized

A coach, any coach can not afford to keep that type of talent on the bench for very long. Crystal Dangerfield is going to play her way into the starting line up at some point. You don't have to have a "Crystal Ball", or be a genius to figure that out. CD is an exceptional talent. She's going to make a name for herself very quickly. This year, she will no doubt be compared to Moriah Jefferson in everything she does. The longer Mo is gone however, the more she and her exploits will fade from memory.

I'm an optimist. Call me crazy, but I've got a real good feeling about Dangerfield individually, and the team as a whole. I've been saying all summer, this team will surprise a lot of folks. They are not going to be as bad as some think. Especially after seeing the tease we got Friday night. What people can't seem to realize is that, yes UConn loss three great players to graduation, but so did some of the other top ranked teams. However, the Huskies cupboard is not bare. They've got some extremely talented players on their roster that have been in a support roll up to now. Now it's their turn, and just as Gloria Swanson told movie director Cecil B. Demille as she slowly strode toward the camera, they're ready for their "close up". Geno and staff will have them ready to play, and play at a high level all year.

We've been debating, discussing, pondering and predicting what kind of team the Huskies will field this year. The wait is just about over. The Baylor game is 1 month (Nov 17) from tomorrow. Any and all questions about team UConn will be answered then. UConn is not looking past Florida State by any means. That would be a grave mistake. The Seminoles finished last year ranked 10th in the USA Today coach's poll at 23-7, 17th in the AP top 25. ESPN's Charlie Creme has the Noles at #15 (UConn at #4) in his way too early preseason top 25 for 2016-2017.

The first exhibition game is only 16 days away. We'll find out then who the starters will be. The consensus is Nurse, Williams, Collier and Samuelson. Who the 5th starter will be is still up for debate.
I remind you what the returning players said during the homecoming parade 6 months ago: "We're not conceding anything". I don't know about you, but I like that kind of talk!!!

On the first day of practice, Geno has addressed his team the same way with respect to it's vision and overall team goal. He says: "You're not defending anything. You won the national championship trophy last season.
No one can come in here and take it from you. This is a new year. Let's go out there and attack the division, and impose our will on them". This team is no doubt looking to establish it's own identity.

I'm hoping they take the floor this year with a chip on their shoulder, feeling that they have something to prove. The eyes of Division 1 women's basketball will be on the Huskies to see how they fare. Teams will look to see if they are still as dominant as in years past, or if they have fallen back to the rest of the pack. Win or lose, UConn will be the talk of the WCBB world for a least the first month of the season. Especially after games against top 10 ranked opponents who some analysts feel have a legitimate chance of defeating them.

To borrow a line from former NFL NY Jet linebacker Bart Scott........."Can't wait"!! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom