Auriemma talks about four players filling significant roles | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Auriemma talks about four players filling significant roles

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Bent is a hard worker and will give more to the team in practice than in games.

Wow, I think we can declare a winner just 3 days into practice! The award? The "Damn With Faint Praise" award to a frosh who was recruited out of the top twenty. As sure as the swallows in the spring, this comes home to roost on the Boneyard every Fall. Remember last year's victims? How'd that turn out? Not good for last year's Big Micks.

Oh, wait, that was unkind. Let me amend my post:

hahaha.gif

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wow, I think we can declare a winner just 3 days into practice! The award? The "Damn With Faint Praise" award to a frosh who was recruited out of the top twenty. As sure as the swallows in the spring, this comes home to roost on the Boneyard every Fall. Remember last year's victims? How'd that turn out? Not good for last year's Big Micks.

View attachment 16213

An apology with humor is a big time apology. FUNNY

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
In a different time of year, true. With this young team this is a find out time of year. He'll experiment and take risks.

Are you sure? Geno can find out what he has in practice. He can also experiment in the two exhibition games. I can't believe he's going to experiment in the BIG games against Baylor, Notre Dame, Texas, Ohio State or Maryland. I hear what you are saying Rocky, but.........Geno take risks? I'll believe it when I see it. There's a time a place for everything. There are teams in the first half of the season he can experiment with: LSU, Dayton, Chattanooga, DePaul, Kansas State and Nebraska. These six schools would more than adequately provide the perfect backdrop he would need for any desired experiments.

Carnac

Reaction Score

View attachment 16213

I read that post too. Some posts you read, and just move on to the next one. This was one of those posts. EVERY poster here in the yard knows better than that. Let's move on please.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I've yet to see anything about Chong's IT Band situation. Anybody know?

Hey Gus, I haven't seen a post from you in some time. I hope all is well. Good to hear from you.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Are you sure? Geno can find out what he has in practice. He can also experiment in the two exhibition games. I can't believe he's going to experiment in the BIG games against Baylor, Notre Dame, Texas, Ohio State or Maryland. I hear what you are saying Rocky, but....Geno take risks? I'll believe it when I see it. There's a time a place for everything. There are teams in the first half of the season he can experiment with: LSU, Dayton, Chattanooga, DePaul, Kansas State and Nebraska. These six schools would more than adequately provide the perfect backdrop he would need for any desired experiments.

Well, thanks for providing the meat of my bones of a postulate. He does have room in the schedule to test by fire the young ones without destroying their confidence. But Geno absolutely cannot find out what he has in practice. Practice, no matter how intense, is still practice and against people who you know and you know their moves and proclivities. It's just different. Your heart doesn't hammer while they sing the national anthem and a little voice whispers in your ear: "This is it. This is prime time. The Husky world is watching... etc, etc." Some play great in practice and fade away in game situations.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Well, thanks for providing the meat of my bones of a postulate. He does have room in the schedule to test by fire the young ones without destroying their confidence. But Geno absolutely cannot find out what he has in practice. Practice, no matter how intense, is still practice and against people who you know and you know their moves and proclivities. It's just different. Your heart doesn't hammer while they sing the national anthem and a little voice whispers in your ear: "This is it. This is prime time. The Husky world is watching... etc, etc." Some play great in practice and fade away in game situations.

I agree with your response in principle. What I meant by "He can find out what he has in practice" was, seeing his new players for the first time against his returning players. Players that he has coached, and knows.
People generally practice like they play and visa versa.

There are exceptions. Rare is the player who can dog it in practice, but turn it on during a game. Also, rare is the coach who will allow a player to do that. It would set a bad precedent. Everyone at practice is trying to impress Geno. From senior Saniya Chong down to former walk-on Tierney Lawlor.

No one is going to "dog it" in any of Geno's practices. I can look at a player in a pickup game for 5 minutes and tell if he or she is a baller or not. It's not hard if you know the game, and know what you're looking at. Great players stand out just like the lousy ones do. A players strengths and weaknesses are exposed in practice. That is what I was talking about. Of course you always want to see them against "fresh meat" (live competition against another program).

Carnac

Reaction Score
I certainly hope Crystal is starting by January. That will mean that she is the real deal. This year's team is extremely young and inexperienced, so it would be good for our youngsters to be playing beyond their years. We have no returning players with first or second team all-conference awards--even though we are playing in the AAC. 2005 was the last time we had no returning All-conference players. That said, Gabby and Kia probably played well enough to earn 2nd team honors if they had more minutes and were not in the shadows of the Big three.

Glenn, I can assure you that Crystal is the real deal. She was a very highly coveted player coming out of high school. UConn got lucky in that she wanted to come to Storrs. No coaxing/prodding. No need to wine & dine.
They offered, she accepted. It was a simple as that. She has a skill set that Geno will find hard to keep on the bench. There's a large contingent of us here in the yard that think Crystal will be starting at the point before the end of January. A lot of reviews and comments were written and posted here on the yard over the summer. Not one suggested that Crystal was not "all that, and a bag of chips". She's good, very good. She will not disappoint. The best thing about her is she loves the game, and wants to be the best PG in the country like her idol Moriah J. was.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Hey Gus, I haven't seen a post from you in some time. I hope all is well. Good to hear from you.
Thanks, Carnac. Been doing a lot of lurking these days. I am well.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I can look at a player in a pickup game for 5 minutes and tell if he or she is a baller or not.

That is a talent, but you are talking black and white and Geno is looking at shades of grey. He has talked pretty clearly about player who seem to "go away" when they miss two shots in a row or think the pass should have been to them. We all know you aren't going to play if you don't bust a gut in practice with Geno. But it goes beyond that. There is no one on that Conn roster who couldn't pass the baller test; no, they have to bring it, among ballers, every day; plus, he's told us, sulk on the bench, not be engaged for your team and team mates, and you'll never play, never. Geno has far higher standards than yeah, she's a baller.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I agree Sluconn. I'll paraphrase Ben Crenshaw prior to the "99 Ryder Cup singles matches. " I'll leave y'all with this thought. I've got a good felling about Molly Bent, and I'll leave it at that". She might be a big surprise.

Have more concern for Irwin as a freshmen than I do Bent at the moment. Bent has one thing that should help her early---high basketball IQ.

Reaction Score
Have more concern for Irwin as a freshmen than I do Bent at the moment. Bent has one thing that should help her early---high basketball IQ.
Same here. I like Irwin's work ethic and toughness but she's going to have to bang with some big posts in there to help that interior defense. Watching Bent in your videos and 1st Night, her mind and eyes appear to be a play ahead and as we know that's a big advantage when the skill level and quickness with the opponents is similar.

Reaction Score
The master motivator--Geno--(Christine has been known to be exceptional at Motivation)--both will keep a chip in their sight.
The one thing that Uconn cannot dwell on is those that are gone---they are gone. Geno learned from his dance teacher---you only get to dance with the guy that brun ya. Geno brun them this far--and Katie Lou, Napheesa, Kia, Gabby, Chong, Butler--were brun this fur --now it's up to them to Tango to the NC. If there is a loss--the first loss will shock them to reality!!
Nice find Carnac..
There will be more than one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
They said that about 2003 also but they had 1 loss and a NC. They wont have more than Notre Dame FB this year.

I know you, like me, have followed ND for way too many years---but isn't it interesting to see the glee when one ND supporter writes--
(Uconn) There will be more than one (loss). They have been waiting 4 long years to say that. I guess after this year they'll have a long drought again..

Reaction Score
I agree Sluconn. I'll paraphrase Ben Crenshaw prior to the "99 Ryder Cup singles matches. " I'll leave y'all with this thought. I've got a good felling about Molly Bent, and I'll leave it at that". She might be a big surprise.
At this point in her career (and that of Kyla, Crystal) as a Uconn fan, it cost nothing to be very positive about how they shall play.
I have good feelings (too) about Molly, Kyla, Crystal, Butler

Reaction Score
I know you, like me, have followed ND for way too many years---but isn't it interesting to see the glee when one ND supporter writes--
(Uconn) There will be more than one (loss). They have been waiting 4 long years to say that. I guess after this year they'll have a long drought again..
Hey at least Muffet was willing to keep getting beat year after year when Stewie and Co. were here. Other coaches decided not to bother scheduling UConn until they left.

Reaction Score
Hey at least Muffet was willing to keep getting beat year after year when Stewie and Co. were here. Other coaches decided not to bother scheduling UConn until they left.

I don't think McGraw had a choice after she insinuated that UConn was avoiding ND during the 2013-2014 season.

Reaction Score

If you have read many of my postings---I've said Muffet is one of the 2 top coaches in the country, she is intelligent. I guess I didn't actually say she was courageous to sign up to play Uconn year after year--but that was very smart: you can't know your opponent unless you play them. But you are correct a lot of the other coaches --would not play Uconn , they were that sure they'd be beaten. Duke did not sign up to play Uconn, DePaul did (a buddy of Geno's),. It wasn't they didn't "bother" to schedule Uconn--it was a deliberate decision to not be beaten badly--that too is smart.

Reaction Score
I don't think McGraw had a choice after she insinuated that UConn was avoiding ND during the 2013-2014 season.
Both Geno and Muffet had choices to play or not to play---always!! But the press, Hartford Courant, made it an art form to keep berating Geno and UCWBB --saying Muffet had Geno's number. When your home town paper disses you that way--a person gets defensive, and Geno's skin is not that thick. He's into adoration not negative comment.

Reaction Score
I like this
What I take from this interview with Coach is that he is relaxed and optimistic...as well as realistic. After 4 straight NCs framed by 2 Gold Medals, of course he can rest on his laurels a bit. But I think it also shows that he's been in this spot before and has learned how to approach it. Geno is a very different person now (as are we all) and it will be great fun seeing how he handles this group through the anticipated adversity. (Of course the fact that he has a monster team emerging the following year has to help give him more of a philosophical bent as well.)

I like this chip on their shoulders dynamic. "Go ahead, count us out, wait til next year", all reasons for the team to focus and work hard. And it's true, Geno doesn't have anything to prove, that's saved for Muffet McGraw.

Reaction Score
Has nothing to do with me being a N.D. fan. Its my basketball opinion in general. They lost 3 All Americans. It will take time for this team to get things rolling. Especially if they start a rookie point guard. They have a really tough schedule . Like i said before when the smoke clears i see them being a Final Four team. I said 3 years ago Notre Dame will win it all this year because i knew Stewie would be gone.It's to late to change my mind now. Its funny when i say they will lose more then one how people get up tight and on the defense just because im a N.D. fan. Several U Conn fans have said themselves they could see 2 or 3 loses this year .Im just being honest and not being mean. 2 losses is a possibility with all the adjustments and changes they have to deal with. Especially early in the season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox