Article on Ice’s slow start | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Article on Ice’s slow start

Reaction Score
Recruiting has changed allot and if coaches don't change with it they will be left behind. Geno is very stubborn and won't change his ways. We have fallen behind all the top programs in recruiting and it's getting worse because we need a better recruiter. We are getting good recruits but not the top recruits anymore. Unless that changes it will be a long time before we see another championship ! We can't be as picky as we once were.

This is beyond silly Collectively over the past five years, UConn is clearly in the top three in recruiting based on any of the national rankings.

Reaction Score
It is to be expected that Ice is "playing like a freshman" because she essentially is. Every reasonable person somewhat expected that.

I think the part that troubles people is the fact that when El-Alfy went down there no real attempt to get some insurance in the post via the portal. Paige went down in the summer last year and UConn managed to get Bettencourt for depth purposes.

When El-Alfy went down the battle cries were 1) she (El-Alfy) wasn't going to be a key rotational player anyway and 2) we already have plenty at the post (i.e., Brady, Patterson and DeBerry).

So here we are and we're getting what most reasonable people thought what we were getting. Brady = A Freshman, DeBerry = DeBerry, and Patterson is hurt and the jury is still out on her as a key rotational player.

Who knows how integral El-Alfy would have been. I tend to think she would have been given her share of chances based on what we've seen from the other post players and could have contributed AT LEAST as much.

Knowing that Brady, Patterson and DeBerry were big question marks as to what we'd be getting there should have been an attempt to get some kind of depth in the front court via the portal after El-Alfy went down and perhaps even before that knowing you're relying on four unproven players (and Patterson was coming off major surgery).

No, you're not going to get an AA in the middle of the summer, but I'm sure a front court player capable of giving good minutes off the bench could have been found if the same effort were applied when UConn went out and got Bettencourt last year.
How many P-5+1 level Bigs were available when Alfy went down? Probably none. The portal was closed in July. All you could have gotten would probably have been a step down from DeBerry. Somebody who had left her team in the Spring and nobody had picked her up.

Sorry, I just don’t see the portal as having been an option.

Jersey Wolfenbarger might be available second semester. Not sure about that though.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
How many P-5+1 level Bigs were available when Alfy went down? Probably none. The portal was closed in July. All you could have gotten would probably have been a step down from DeBerry. Somebody who had left her team in the Spring and nobody had picked her up.

Jersey Wolfenbarger might be available second semester. Not sure about that though.
I believe the reason Wolfenbarger left Arkansas was because they wanted her to play in the post but all she wanted to do is roam and shoot from the perimeter. If that is the case, we don't want or need her.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Geno, not me, would "sell" her on POTENTIALLY starting if she earned it. The last thing I tried to sell were Cutco knives back in college and that didn't go so well.

Seems every game there is a new starting lineup so if said recruit were halfway decent they'd probably have their share of chances of starting so Geno couldn't be accused of being a snake oil salesman. Otherwise, they'd be a key rotational player when they weren't starting (if they earned their right into the rotation).

I emphasized role player because at the beginning of the season Geno would have likely gone with the same starting lineup that he did to open the season with his trusted veterans so this person would have been a role player to start even if they were the next Azura Stevens (and as we remember she didn't start). But as things stand now they very well could be starting if they had what it takes. I'm sure Geno would have been upfront about it as he tends to be.
Sure she might be starting now, but last summer, when you were trying to "sell" her, you wouldn't know about all the injuries.

And yes he'd have been upfront about it. And I imagine most players in the portal aren't looking for a backup position. I imagine most of them are looking for more playing time.

"Come to UCONN. If we have a bunch of injuries, you might get a bit of playing time". Just doesn't sound like a very powerful "sell" to me.

Reaction Score
UConn never releases recruiting information. As for the unused scholarship, Geno has said a million times he prefers a 13 player roster like the men. He has said it was impossible to keep 15 players happy with their playing time.

You have zero proof, you only have an opinion and you’re using to throw mud and the coaches.
Geno should have 15 players with all the injuries they been having. He was pretty stubborn about recruiting another big last year.

Reaction Score
Watching today’s game, I hated how much she was sagged off of at the top of the key. She would’ve made the opposing team pay in HS, hoping we can get that version of Ice by season’s end.

Reaction Score
This is beyond silly Collectively over the past five years, UConn is clearly in the top three in recruiting based on any of the national rankings.
In fairness to Geno, he has done a great job keeping UConn a top 5-10 team. Even when the Huskies looked like it only had 6-7 players several years ago, he went into Europe and got Nika and Anna Mukarat. Lou and Dorka followed. In terms of how his recruits produced, not sure how the rating would be. Being high up in preseason polls doesn't win championships.

Kat

Reaction Score
I've seen Ice play a few times when she was in HS here in San Diego. Right now, she isn't moving as well as she did then. I think that she's still shaking off some rust. Geno knows this, which is why she's getting PT. She is going to look a lot better as the season goes on.

Orc

Reaction Score
Shes has been unimpressive so far. I expected to see more based on the hype. It seems too many post players at Uconn don’t improve anymore

Reaction Score
How Ice's college career turns out is an open question. I suspect that, barring injury, she will be pretty good. Great? Don't know but possible. What she won't be is a solid inside scorer and rim protector. The kid is 6'3", not 6'6'. She will be of help in the paint and if she can play there at an AE level that would be outstanding. If she does develop into a decent mid-range and 3 point shooter even better. She just isn't a natural 5 and we can't expect her to play like one.

If there is a real 5 or big 4 out there that is pretty good and available to the highest bidder be assured that UConn came a knocking. Some may think the coaching staff are lacking in some respects but they aren't blooming idiots.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
How tall was Jamelle? How tough was Jamelle?
Napheesa Collier is 6-1
Gabby Williams is 5-11
Morgan Tuck is 6-2
Barbara Turner is 6-0
Kelly Faris is 5-11

If any one of those women were on the team today, no one would be calling for more height

Reaction Score
Shes has been unimpressive so far. I expected to see more based on the hype. It seems too many post players at Uconn don’t improve anymore
exactly how many minutes has Ice Brady played in her career at UConn so far? I'll tell you.....126 minutes..........is that enough playing time to determine how good a player she will be at UConn in what is really her freshman year? I'd say resoundingly NO!! Give the kid a break.........she's coming off of major knee surgery and is just finding her legs against bigger, better competition.......I've saw enough of her in high school against some quality players to believe she will be a really solid contributor to this team this season if Geno keeps playing her decent minutes..............have a little faith..........;)

Reaction Score
There are a number of freshmen playing well this season. Being a freshman is a weak excuse, imo. I believe Brady will show a big improvement before the season is over.
As others have made perfectly clear big girls take longer to develop.
My memory has gone South but the outstanding freshman ballers at SC ND TX and others who are lighting up the court from day one this year are guards and not bigs

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Napheesa Collier is 6-1
Gabby Williams is 5-11
Morgan Tuck is 6-2
Barbara Turner is 6-0
Kelly Faris is 5-11

If any one of those women were on the team today, no one would be calling for more height
I think your last sentence is incorrect.

Napheesa and Gabby were able to get to the Final Four, but were not able to win a championship. In the opinion of many Boneyarders including myself, the 2018 team might well have won a National Championship if Azura Stevens (6-6) had been a starter on that team and had played more in the semifinal loss to Notre Dame. If Azura had stayed for her final season of eligibility in 2018-19, that might also have been an NC-winning team.

Morgan Tuck was never the sole big in the lineup; she always had Stewie or Kiah Stokes to protect the rim.

Barbara Turner always had Jessica Moore or Tina Charles, and was not relied upon to be the major domo in the paint.

Kelly Faris had to play the "4" on the 2012 team, next to Stef Dolson. That team was pretty good, but did not win an NC. When Stewie arrived in 2013, allowing UConn to have two true bigs in the starting lineup (and allowing Kelly to play as a guard/wing), the team did win the NC.

If these precedents mean anything, I doubt that UConn will be able to win an NC this year with a lineup of Aaliyah and 4 guards.

Reaction Score
I accepted your challenge and looked up Collier's and Samuelson's first 6 games as freshman:
Collier 5.8 pts, 17 minutes, 52% shooting, 69% FT and 5.3 Reb
Samuelson 8.1 Pts, 18.5 minutes, 44% shooting, 67% FT and 2.8 rebounds.

Game wasn't too fast for them from the start.
None of them started with a devastating injury. It takes time to get mentally focused on the task of playing, rather than worrying about being injured again.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
As others have made perfectly clear big girls take longer to develop.
My memory has gone South but the outstanding freshman ballers at SC ND TX and others who are lighting up the court from day one this year are guards and not bigs
It did not take Lobo long or Brink, Kitley, Boston, or Lee. There are others.

Reaction Score
Sure she might be starting now, but last summer, when you were trying to "sell" her, you wouldn't know about all the injuries.

And yes he'd have been upfront about it. And I imagine most players in the portal aren't looking for a backup position. I imagine most of them are looking for more playing time.

"Come to UCONN. If we have a bunch of injuries, you might get a bit of playing time". Just doesn't sound like a very powerful "sell" to me.
He doesn’t ever promise playing time. If you were even a casual fan you’d know that.

Reaction Score
None of them started with a devastating injury. It takes time to get mentally focused on the task of playing, rather than worrying about being injured again.
If a player is still injured , they shouldn't play.
If a player is healthy and playing, they should be focused.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
He doesn’t ever promise playing time. If you were even a casual fan you’d know that.
Not sure what you're trying to say here??

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If a player is still injured , they shouldn't play.
If a player is healthy and playing, they should be focused.
Sure. But in the real world, it doesn't always work like that.

Reaction Score
Brady, in addition to having played only a handful of games missed a season of playing basketball at any level.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score

Jersey did not play the blocks. She hung around the three point line.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom