Article on Ice’s slow start | The Boneyard

Article on Ice’s slow start

Reaction Score
Don't understand why people thought Brady, really a freshman who had never played college ball, would be a major contributor this season. On top of that, returning from a rather serious injury. Big players are the slowest to adjust to the college game. Calm down; give her a year, or maybe even 2. She's just a big, big kid at this point.

Reaction Score
It is to be expected that Ice is "playing like a freshman" because she essentially is. Every reasonable person somewhat expected that.

I think the part that troubles people is the fact that when El-Alfy went down there no real attempt to get some insurance in the post via the portal. Paige went down in the summer last year and UConn managed to get Bettencourt for depth purposes.

When El-Alfy went down the battle cries were 1) she (El-Alfy) wasn't going to be a key rotational player anyway and 2) we already have plenty at the post (i.e., Brady, Patterson and DeBerry).

So here we are and we're getting what most reasonable people thought what we were getting. Brady = A Freshman, DeBerry = DeBerry, and Patterson is hurt and the jury is still out on her as a key rotational player.

Who knows how integral El-Alfy would have been. I tend to think she would have been given her share of chances based on what we've seen from the other post players and could have contributed AT LEAST as much.

Knowing that Brady, Patterson and DeBerry were big question marks as to what we'd be getting there should have been an attempt to get some kind of depth in the front court via the portal after El-Alfy went down and perhaps even before that knowing you're relying on four unproven players (and Patterson was coming off major surgery).

No, you're not going to get an AA in the middle of the summer, but I'm sure a front court player capable of giving good minutes off the bench could have been found if the same effort were applied when UConn went out and got Bettencourt last year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s going to take minutes. Once the BE season starts I would expect her to more the 14 minutes a game.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
And people are going to expect the same fast start from Ayanna if/when she returns from her injury, even though she wasn't a consistent contributer during her freshman season. But hopefully the both of them will be consistent enough to spell Aaliyah and Aubrey as we get further down the road.

Reaction Score
It is to be expected that Ice is "playing like a freshman" because she essentially is. Every reasonable person somewhat expected that.

I think the part that troubles people is the fact that when El-Alfy went down there no real attempt to get some insurance in the post via the portal. Paige went down in the summer last year and UConn managed to get Bettencourt for depth purposes.

When El-Alfy went down the battle cries were 1) she (El-Alfy) wasn't going to be a key rotational player anyway and 2) we already have plenty at the post (i.e., Brady, Patterson and DeBerry).

So here we are and we're getting what most reasonable people thought what we were getting. Brady = A Freshman, DeBerry = DeBerry, and Patterson is hurt and the jury is still out on her as a key rotational player.

Who knows how integral El-Alfy would have been. I tend to think she would have been given her share of chances based on what we've seen from the other post players and could have contributed AT LEAST as much.

Knowing that Brady, Patterson and DeBerry were big question marks as to what we'd be getting there should have been an attempt to get some kind of depth in the front court via the portal after El-Alfy went down and perhaps even before that knowing you're relying on four unproven players (and Patterson was coming off major surgery).

No, you're not going to get an AA in the middle of the summer, but I'm sure a front court player capable of giving good minutes off the bench could have been found if the same effort were applied when UConn went out and got Bettencourt last year.
And you know that there was no attempt to get someone in the portal how??

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score

How do you know what level of effort was applied by the UConn coaches to the problem of getting a replacement for Jana??

Another factor is that the coaches apparently thought that Caroline could provide backup minutes at the 4 slot. That may or may not prove to be true.

Reaction Score
Right, because every player out there is just dying to play for UConn. Get serious.
OK, so basically you're telling me you have first hand knowledge that UConn went to hell and back to find someone but everyone hates UConn so no one wanted to come here. Got it. Thanks for the insight.

Rhetorical question: Do you think if Staley or Mulkey had a scholarship available and a need to fill that they would have not found someone?

Reaction Score
UConn hasn't really been a school that develops good bigs to be immediate contributors. To me Brady is not going to be an inside force at any point based on the game she plays. She is an outside threat that has a great midrange game. I do think Ice will make a huge contribution to the team this year but I do not think it will be a huge impact on the inside game at the level described in this article.

UConn has one player on their roster that can make an impact in the post and that is Amari. She is tall and long but is still a project for the team that they either need to work through or come to the realization that they can't hang with big teams on the inside. If they decide to forfeit the inside to the opponent they better get real good at pressure defense and pushing the ball because that will be the lane available for them to get where they want to be.

Reaction Score

The portal was already closed when Jana went down. Their only options at that point would have been a soon to be freshman in college that didn’t yet have a team to play after most summer sessions began.

Reaction Score
Wonder whether Brady's weak performance is a consequence of her serious knee injury and resulting diminution in her physical abilities. She certainly would not be the first UConn player who came back from a major injury and could not come close to her pre-injury abilities. Think Caroline Doty, Nicole Wolf, Britney Hunter, and more. And of course, her last ACL tear in the semifinals of the NCAA her senior season ended Shea Ralph's basketball career.

Reaction Score
OK, so basically you're telling me you have first hand knowledge that UConn went to hell and back to find someone but everyone hates UConn so no one wanted to come here. Got it. Thanks for the insight.

Rhetorical question: Do you think if Staley or Mulkey had a scholarship available and a need to fill that they would have not found someone?
If you think that players' desire to play at UConn is the same as it was some years ago, then you're not paying attention to women's basketball. Obviously, I have no first,or second hand,etc knowledge of what UConn coaches' did. Nor do you. That's my insight. You're welcome.

Reaction Score
If you think that players' desire to play at UConn is the same as it was some years ago, then you're not paying attention to women's basketball. Obviously, I have no first,or second hand,etc knowledge of what UConn coaches' did. Nor do you. That's my insight. You're welcome.
I am well aware of that and never said we could get anyone we wanted. But I'm sure we could have gotten ONE capable post player to come here if we wanted to bad enough. If we ask 100 capable players to come here all 100 don't have to say yes. Only one does. UConn hasn't fallen that far off the grid where they can't manage that.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think the part that troubles people is the fact that when El-Alfy went down there no real attempt to get some insurance in the post via the portal. Paige went down in the summer last year and UConn managed to get Bettencourt for depth

please provide your source of information for the bolded statement

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There are a number of freshmen playing well this season. Being a freshman is a weak excuse, imo. I believe Brady will show a big improvement before the season is over.
Guards adapt more quickly when moving up a level than post players. The difference in the speed of the game and the strength of opponents is significant

Reaction Score
"Terrible" is a rather sweeping judgment to apply after 6 games. I wonder what you would have said about Katie Lou Samuelson or Anna Makurat after 6 games. Or Napheesa Collier, who lost her starting role after about that many games?
I accepted your challenge and looked up Collier's and Samuelson's first 6 games as freshman:
Collier 5.8 pts, 17 minutes, 52% shooting, 69% FT and 5.3 Reb
Samuelson 8.1 Pts, 18.5 minutes, 44% shooting, 67% FT and 2.8 rebounds.

Game wasn't too fast for them from the start.

Reaction Score
There are a number of freshmen playing well this season. Being a freshman is a weak excuse, imo. I believe Brady will show a big improvement before the season is over.
I had and still have very high expectations for Ice............she's way too talented offensively not to contribute to the team this season..........if I had questions, it was about her defensive capabilities............. just looking for that first breakout game...........it sure would be nice to see it against Texas but more likely we'll see her improve as the season goes on.......

Reaction Score
I accepted your challenge and looked up Collier's and Samuelson's first 6 games as freshman:
Collier 5.8 pts, 17 minutes, 52% shooting, 69% FT and 5.3 Reb
Samuelson 8.1 Pts, 18.5 minutes, 44% shooting, 67% FT and 2.8 rebounds.

Game wasn't too fast for them from the start.
Positionally, I'd compare her more to Morgan Tuck who averaged 6.4 points and 3.4 rebounds per game as a freshman

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom