Article on Ice’s slow start | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Article on Ice’s slow start

Reaction Score
Lets not forget Aaliyah wasnt the star she is now her first year. I know we want Ice to develope at hyper speed but it takes time. Once she gets more playing time under her belt I think she'll be a force until then she'll just have to take her lumps.

Reaction Score
please provide your source of information for the bolded statement
My source of information is that there is an unused scholarship left on the table that could have been filled if they tried hard enough.

What source of information is there that they DID try? I saw no reports of UConn pursuing anyone (and I'm sure even if they were doing it quietly it would have leaked out somehow). Just implications that they were happy with what they had.

The end result (unused scholarship that they could have used if they really, really wanted to) is all the information that's needed.

Reaction Score
Ice is playing as expected given the type of minutes she gets and how she is utilized on offense. Defensively, like the article stated, not her calling card but that wasn't why she was recruited but her defense will get better as she adjusts to the game and depending on the matchups. Coach CD is always positive with her comments, but she is right. Ice will get use to the pace of the game and figure things out. The key is always how she (Ice) is going to be utilized on offense. They want her to post up, which is nice in theory but if you are running sets that don't include her being in the post, how will she get better down low?

Defensive side of the ball. I mean really, not many lock down defenders in college. Not many on ball defenders either. Ice will and does a pretty decent job of getting a wide base, having active hands, and staying in front of her defender. She did a pretty decent job here in Minnesota against the Gophers. Against Maryland she was 50/50. She does a decent job of being in helpside on defense and her rotations will get better each game and practice.

As for the slow start. Again, I think she is doing well given the minutes and how she is being utilized out there on the court. Solid screen setter. Has a nice touch on her shot. Her shots will fall. She looked decent against Minnesota and Maryland. Her footwork on the wing or high post area is awesome. Once there is a matchup where she has the advantage in the post, I am sure there will be games where we will see Ice posted up and showing that footwork on the block. Just have to have those types of games and players trying to feed her the ball down low.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
IMHO, not only is Ice a "freshman" from an experience perspective, she also needs to become confident in her knee again, and refine the hoop-related motor skills that were not possible while she was injured. Since she didn't practice or play at a high level for approximately 8 months (a guesstimate), there's a bunch of stuff that will take time. As someone mentioned above, Aaliyah had a modest freshman season. In 29 games, AE started in 6. In 6 games, here are their stats:

1701369987677.png

The season is young. If we get to the halfway point and there's little progression, then maybe we panic.

Reaction Score
I rarely have high expectations for any freshman, no matter how touted they are by anyone who knows them. It’s a big transition to go from high school to college, and also a big transition to go from a major injury to game shape/full skills. Ice has both of those transitions.

I like Ice’s play so far. She shows a lot of future potential and has some nice skills. No—she isn’t going to save the team in the post this season, but freshman rarely are team savers.

In the long haul, I’m looking forward to seeing how she develops.

Reaction Score
My source of information is that there is an unused scholarship left on the table that could have been filled if they tried hard enough.

What source of information is there that they DID try? I saw no reports of UConn pursuing anyone (and I'm sure even if they were doing it quietly it would have leaked out somehow). Just implications that they were happy with what they had.

The end result (unused scholarship that they could have used if they really, really wanted to) is all the information that's needed.
fireford said:
I think the part that troubles people is the fact that when El-Alfy went down there no real attempt to get some insurance in the post via the portal.

First this is not a FACT but a conjecture. Your proof: UConn has an unused scholarship. and you didn't see any reports that said they did look for someone qed UConn therefore didn't look for anyone. Basis for a conjecture but certainly not proof of a fact.

P.S. I'm glad they didn't add anyone.... there aren't a lot of Dorka Juhasz in the world.

Reaction Score
IMHO, not only is Ice a "freshman" from an experience perspective, she also needs to become confident in her knee again, and refine the hoop-related motor skills that were not possible while she was injured. Since she didn't practice or play at a high level for approximately 8 months (a guesstimate), there's a bunch of stuff that will take time. As someone mentioned above, Aaliyah had a modest freshman season. In 29 games, AE started in 6. In 6 games, here are their stats:

View attachment 93544

The season is young. If we get to the halfway point and there's little progression, then maybe we panic.
It takes Ice a while to warm up, she'll be fine, and will be spilling over in due course

Reaction Score
fireford said:
I think the part that troubles people is the fact that when El-Alfy went down there no real attempt to get some insurance in the post via the portal.

First this is not a FACT but a conjecture. Your proof: UConn has an unused scholarship. and you didn't see any reports that said they did look for someone qed UConn therefore didn't look for anyone. Basis for a conjecture but certainly not proof of a fact.

P.S. I'm glad they didn't add anyone.... there aren't a lot of Dorka Juhasz in the world.
You are correct in stating that what I'm saying is conjecture but I never implied it was anything different than that. When asked for proof that someone didn't try to do something hard enough what better proof can you come up with other than the end result doesn't support
the alleged effort?

Those who are challenging my statement also have no facts to support the contrary so at the end of the day it's all conjecture.

And what would be the downside of adding someone? Agree that a Dorka is hard to find but at least they'd have another option to try. Would rather they swing and miss than not swing at all.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
fireford said:

Would have been nice to get a big rebounder and defender but maybe no one was available who they thought could help. I will say, I think they need to widen their search of high school players when it comes to bigs because a lot of these lower ranked players are kicking our ass in college. Also Ice is not in shape, she is struggling up and down but I’m not worried about her AT ALL. Once she gets used to everything she’s gonna do her part. I can already see it when she plays. I think our 2 guard situation is the thing that most needs to be fixed. KK or Shade or Q or Nika needs to show that it’s me. Hard to keep mixing and matching and make it far. It can be done but that’s draining. It’s crazy because each one of them have what the other is lacking. Make them into one person and you have exactly what we need. This season is tough because I don’t want Paige to go out like Crystal did without a title.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

UConn never releases recruiting information. As for the unused scholarship, Geno has said a million times he prefers a 13 player roster like the men. He has said it was impossible to keep 15 players happy with their playing time.

You have zero proof, you only have an opinion and you’re using to throw mud and the coaches.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You are correct in stating that what I'm saying is conjecture but I never implied it was anything different than that. When asked for proof that someone didn't try to do something hard enough what better proof can you come up with other than the end result doesn't support
the alleged effort?

Those who are challenging my statement also have no facts to support the contrary so at the end of the day it's all conjecture.

And what would be the downside of adding someone? Agree that a Dorka is hard to find but at least they'd have another option to try. Would rather they swing and miss than not swing at all.
There is always the possibility they did take a look, but didn't see anyone who would fit in the program. Either talent wise, personality wise, or even wants to play at UCONN.

Reaction Score
UConn never releases recruiting information. As for the unused scholarship, Geno has said a million times he prefers a 13 player roster like the men. He has said it was impossible to keep 15 players happy with their playing time.

You have zero proof, you only have an opinion and you’re using to throw mud and the coaches.
What you're saying supports my argument more than it refutes it. If you're saying the reason Geno didn't use the last scholarship because he historically doesn't like to then it makes me even more convinced that he didn't try to fill it.

If we know a player (El-Alfy) is out for the season and another (Patterson) may be out an indefinite period of time then it's not a case of keeping 15 players happy because there aren't 15 available players. It's a case of adding another option that they will likely need. The men didn't have a similar issue to deal with so it was not as pressing for them to use the last scholarship.

It's Geno's team so if he wants to leave a scholarship on the table that's his prerogative. Being a fan of the team does not require one to agree with everything he does.

Reaction Score
There is always the possibility they did take a look, but didn't see anyone who would fit in the program. Either talent wise, personality wise, or even wants to play at UCONN.
Totally possible but I find it hard to believe that there wasn't anyone out there worth taking a flier on. Especially if we're only talking about a potential role player.

Reaction Score
I think people underestimate how difficult it is to transition from what you used to do (in many cases operate with the ball in your hand or as the focus of an offense) to something quite unfamiliar. A lot of players don't even know how to set a proper screen. They rarely had to. Most of the freshman that are excelling, usually guards, are functioning largely the way they did in HS. At the college level, you aren't running scripted offensive plays most of the time. You're reading defenses. And that's before...you shoot a single shot. Personally, I have zero doubts that she will be fine. At the very least, I would wish a player well before writing them off after six games. She didn't forget how to play basketball.

Reaction Score
It is to be expected that Ice is "playing like a freshman" because she essentially is. Every reasonable person somewhat expected that.

I think the part that troubles people is the fact that when El-Alfy went down there no real attempt to get some insurance in the post via the portal. Paige went down in the summer last year and UConn managed to get Bettencourt for depth purposes.

When El-Alfy went down the battle cries were 1) she (El-Alfy) wasn't going to be a key rotational player anyway and 2) we already have plenty at the post (i.e., Brady, Patterson and DeBerry).

So here we are and we're getting what most reasonable people thought what we were getting. Brady = A Freshman, DeBerry = DeBerry, and Patterson is hurt and the jury is still out on her as a key rotational player.

Who knows how integral El-Alfy would have been. I tend to think she would have been given her share of chances based on what we've seen from the other post players and could have contributed AT LEAST as much.

Knowing that Brady, Patterson and DeBerry were big question marks as to what we'd be getting there should have been an attempt to get some kind of depth in the front court via the portal after El-Alfy went down and perhaps even before that knowing you're relying on four unproven players (and Patterson was coming off major surgery).

No, you're not going to get an AA in the middle of the summer, but I'm sure a front court player capable of giving good minutes off the bench could have been found if the same effort were applied when UConn went out and got Bettencourt last year.
I think if memory serves me right Jana went down after the portal decisions were made by most of the top prospects. I do think Uconn showed interest in the one player who could have been a difference maker, namely Betts, but she chose UCLA and there wasn't another top C candidate.

When Betts was being discussed here, there was a pretty even split, some said we have Ice and Jana so why bother getting a player who was only playing about 10 minutes a game. Others were making the point that Betts had great per minute stats and was the number 1 high school recruit, and she filled a need for real size. I was in the later camp and while Betts was only one year more experienced, many didn't seem to be bothered at all by having our two principle C prospects, both of which were as much 4 as 5, being inexperienced freshmen with no game experience.

It bothered me that we didn't have proven talent returning at that position and I hoped there would be more C talent in the portal but it wound up just being Betts among high level talent. Of course in addition to Jana's injury, we didn't know the problems Ayanna would have and that Caroline would still be having concussion related issues. Although Ayanna is a 4 and Caroline more 3 than 4, they would have been able to help some at the 4 when AE had to play the 5.

In the off-season, after the portal decisions, I hoped Ice and Jana would earn all of the C minutes, but knew there was a significant risk that one or both might not be ready. Now we have little choice, just Ice, and we need to use her for significant minutes whether she is ready or not.

Reaction Score
The portal was already closed when Jana went down. Their only options at that point would have been a soon to be freshman in college that didn’t yet have a team to play after most summer sessions began.
Could have gotten an international player like they did Bettencourt the prior year, which was also during the summer.

Reaction Score
Could have gotten an international player like they did Bettencourt the prior year, which was also during the summer.
I, like you, only have opinion so here's mine. Jana didnt go down until August, Amari was supposed to have a break out year plus was supposed to be back from back surgery, Ayanna was supposed to be back from her surgery, Ice was doing great in practice (according to Geno) and was gonna be a force, and Azzi and Caroline were at full strength. Then it all started to unravel.
Getting a "big" who can actually help us was gonna be impossible that late into the season. This was pretty much in Sept. and October. Classes had already started. We already have a BIG sitting on the bench, and she has Ines as company.

Reaction Score
Don't understand why people thought Brady, really a freshman who had never played college ball, would be a major contributor this season. On top of that, returning from a rather serious injury. Big players are the slowest to adjust to the college game. Calm down; give her a year, or maybe even 2. She's just a big, big kid at this point.
I still expect Ice to make a positive impact by the end of the year when she gets in better shape and develops more confidence.

Reaction Score
I, like you, only have opinion so here's mine. Jana didnt go down until August, Amari was supposed to have a break out year plus was supposed to be back from back surgery, Ayanna was supposed to be back from her surgery, Ice was doing great in practice (according to Geno) and was gonna be a force, and Azzi and Caroline were at full strength. Then it all started to unravel.
Getting a "big" who can actually help us was gonna be impossible that late into the season. This was pretty much in Sept. and October. Classes had already started. We already have a BIG sitting on the bench, and she has Ines as company.
Yes, it seems like we rolled the dice on a lot of hypothetical possibilities that haven't seemed to work out in our favor.

Reaction Score
It is to be expected that Ice is "playing like a freshman" because she essentially is. Every reasonable person somewhat expected that.

I think the part that troubles people is the fact that when El-Alfy went down there no real attempt to get some insurance in the post via the portal. Paige went down in the summer last year and UConn managed to get Bettencourt for depth purposes.

When El-Alfy went down the battle cries were 1) she (El-Alfy) wasn't going to be a key rotational player anyway and 2) we already have plenty at the post (i.e., Brady, Patterson and DeBerry).

So here we are and we're getting what most reasonable people thought what we were getting. Brady = A Freshman, DeBerry = DeBerry, and Patterson is hurt and the jury is still out on her as a key rotational player.

Who knows how integral El-Alfy would have been. I tend to think she would have been given her share of chances based on what we've seen from the other post players and could have contributed AT LEAST as much.

Knowing that Brady, Patterson and DeBerry were big question marks as to what we'd be getting there should have been an attempt to get some kind of depth in the front court via the portal after El-Alfy went down and perhaps even before that knowing you're relying on four unproven players (and Patterson was coming off major surgery).

No, you're not going to get an AA in the middle of the summer, but I'm sure a front court player capable of giving good minutes off the bench could have been found if the same effort were applied when UConn went out and got Bettencourt last year.
I have little doubt that there was an effort made at the time! People just don’t seem to understand that big girls, any big girls, but especially big girls that would be capable of playing at a UConn level, are very, very hard to find! Guards, with all due respect, are a dime a dozen! Bigs are as rare as hen’s teeth and to think that Geno can somehow snap his fingers at any time of the year and come up with one capable of playing at this level is simply naïveté writ large!
Obviously, we will not know until next year but I happen to believe Jana would have been a major player for us! She, imo, would have instantly given us a defensive/offensive anchor in the post, allowing Aaliyah to play her more natural position and giving Ice more time to adapt to the college game rather than being thrown to the wolves as she has. It’s pretty clear she is simply overwhelmed by the pressure and speed of the game. I believe she will be a good player for us but not until the game begins to slow down for her. How long will that be? Who knows?
Sunday will give us some kind of indication as to what the potential of this team is going forward. We don’t have to win but we do have to demonstrate progress toward being able to execute some sort of cohesive game plan. If they come out and play hard and together, I’ll be more than satisfied, win or lose. This is going to be a tough game.

Kat

Reaction Score
She is a blue chipper who is only a few games into a very young season. Ice, and the other frosh, are going to be ready when the tournament begins. Have a little faith.

Reaction Score
Whether we tried to bring in people from the portal or not, bottom line they got nobody and that could be an issue.
If guards are a dime a dozen, please explain Lou Lopez-Senechal?
If Geno doesn't like to have 14 -15 players, please let him know how we have been decimated by injuries, and there doesn't seem to be any lack of opportunities.
If we feel that we don't need transfers because of a great recruiting class, we can't sit back and say that freshman have to develop at their own pace.

Reaction Score
Don't understand why people thought Brady, really a freshman who had never played college ball, would be a major contributor this season. On top of that, returning from a rather serious injury. Big players are the slowest to adjust to the college game. Calm down; give her a year, or maybe even 2. She's just a big, big kid at this point.
I think UCONN's starting line-up should have Ice at the post where she will be able to use ( from muscle memory) her agility and left hand around the hoop; Edwards on a wing, able to free wheel as well as shoot from 12-14 feet; Aubrey at the other wing, using her athleticism to rebound, defend, fast break and hit occasional threes; Paige at shooting guard, doing everything; Muhl at the
point ( bring the ball up court, distribution, defense, and surprising defenders with her three point shot. It will take time for this to gel and , in particular, for Ice to regain her form. But we need her on the inside, supplemented by Edwards and Aubrey for rebounding. I think this may also keep Edwards from accumulating fouls. Bring in KK, Shade and Q for spark and to give rest to starters. Obviously, I am assuming Caroline is not fit to play.....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom