Any live updates from the Spring game? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Any live updates from the Spring game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
View attachment 5742
#71 Richard Levy... guy on the left was awfully nice and said he played under Edsall... didn't get his name unfortunately.

Is that Will Beatty? Looked like him after googling his picture. He played under Edsall and is a pro.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The dogs barking/Crazy Train needs to be cleaned up. It was way too loud. My niece covered her ears and got scared when it played. I know what they were shooting for: barking dogs. I like the thought. Just need to clean it up a bit - maybe pick a different dog bark track and a different song. I like the barking dogs concept though. There was a guy in the stands that barked a few times and sounded exactly like a dog. Sign him up to lay down some tracks!

Reaction Score
A few observations tempered by the fact that the coaches can best evaluate what and who met expectations.

The first line defense still looks like the more mature unit although I think they were limited in what they could do. McBryde was busy all day and I held my breath when he went down. Best of the lineman but others played well incl Adeyemi I think. Graham Stewart looks healthy and really impressed at times. Backs played good but we usually see a number of int's in this game. QB accuracy negated that.

Our QB's look pretty good. Chandler stood out right away throwing darts and making quick decisions. Casey managed well but had 2-3 plays where his size worked against him in the pocket. Boyle played well and looks to have shaken off the shock of last year's decision to throw him in as a Frosh in the wake of P/GDL's mess. He could step in if necessary and still has the most upside. I think both Max and Lyle will be better but there is more depth behind them for sure.

Guys I noticed who should step in to contribute this year on offense.
Clax, Marriner, Noel Thomas were impressive. Tommy Myers will be there at some point but needs time. Others can probably offer more specifics on the o-line. Really liked Clax running and blocking.

And if he can speed it up a hair, it looks like we have a punter who can consistently float them up there. Nice job by Justin Wain. I think I cheered for him more than anybody else!

No major red flags. They looked pretty sharp for Spring and the game format has to be the best to get real information and the most fun for fans. It looked like a real competition out there.

Reaction Score
The dogs barking/Crazy Train needs to be cleaned up. It was way too loud. My niece covered her ears and got scared when it played. I know what they were shooting for: barking dogs. I like the thought. Just need to clean it up a bit - maybe pick a different dog bark track and a different song. I like the barking dogs concept though. There was a guy in the stands that barked a few times and sounded exactly like a dog. Sign him up to lay down some tracks!

It was a mess. Horrible and way too loud. Let's make them a new one and put those dogs out of their misery. I was sitting near recruits and wondering if they thought we were all nuts.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Is that Will Beatty? Looked like him after googling his picture. He played under Edsall and is a pro.
No... He mentioned he was from Hartford and was UConn '98... Name just escapes me. Wait so that means he played under Skip, right?

Reaction Score
More John Silver: http://snyuconn.com/uconn/football/thoughts-on-the-spring-whitmers-return/

A snippet:

*Offensive line looked good. Richard Levy is raw, but looked capable at left tackle. At right tackle Dalton Gifford was there with guards Tyler Samra and Zach Rugg and Alex Mateas in the middle. The team moved Andreas Knappe in at right tackle, and the jumbo native from Denmark looked like a player at 6-9 and north of 300 pounds. He’s a massive human being. Diaco called Knappe this spring’s most improved player after moving from the DL.

* Wide receivers — pretty good. I am a big Geremy Davis fan and I think Deshon Foxx is in for a big year. Shakim Phillips is out with injury, but if he’s ever healthy for a full-season is an explosive talent. The backups aren’t too shabby either. Thomas Lucas, a 6-2 converted corner, looks to be an explosive and physical receiving threat. Noel Thomas is improved and there still is Brian Lemelle, Dhameer Bradley and John Greene…oh, don’t forget Kamal Abrams who caught a TD pass. The group is as stocked as I’ve ever seen it here.

Reaction Score
One purpose of the spring game is to celebrate the football program. No need to celebrate another program when the day is set aside for football. Basketball will still be celebrated plenty more. For God's sake, we're 13-0 in basketball national championship games. Everyone knows we are THE "best of the rest" who are not in the P5. By very far.

Reaction Score
I would lighten it up, but Diaco set the tone,

That may have been the only part of the press conference where he sounded full of it–even when he talked about the offense.
“The offense needs to dominate the line of scrimmage,” he said. “Mash the opponent back. We need to overwhelm the opponent at the point of attack. Do all of the things that I hated.”
“We need tempo changes, move-the-pocket passing, every screen imaginable. We need to chuck it down the field a bunch.”
“A bunch,” he added, just to make it clear.
“It’s exciting. I can’t wait to get with these guys,” Diaco said. “I think they’ve already shown their grit.”
Wow. Talk about having instant expectations. Pete, Diaco talks about his vision of where the Team needs to be and what he wants to see.. Dude has had maybe 13-15 practices with this group (I'm not sure how many are allowed for Spring Ball per NCAA) to correct 3 years of utter dysfunction and confusion. I'm guessing a big piece of that time is spent with changing the culture/attitude. Anyone expecting to see a complete 180 by this Spring game had unrealistic expectations. From all I've read and heard from friends who were at the game, yesterday was night and day different and better fromthe past 2-3 Spring games. Still a lot to do, but the direction is trending up.

Thanks to all for the updates, wish I was in town to be there. Cannot wait for Camp to start.

Reaction Score
Very excited about yesterday. So much better than spring game than one I went to under Pasqualoni. Lot more energy as new staff treats it like a big event not a forced obligation. Think they realize like many of the big schools it is is best way to simulate a real game atmosphere and that many guys play different once on field in front of crowd, some guys get more focused and play better and others tighten up and do not perform well and while not a real game some of that will come through when competing in front of a spring game crowd..

Set up for those not there way series went first team, second team, first team, then third team so starters played 50% of snaps and second and third sting played 25%. Besides the gimmick points, by my count I think there were five scores. Looked like first unit was won by defense won as only gave up a field goal and little concerned about first team offense struggles in first half, offense won second unit as two TD's and FG and third unit was a toss up with one TD.

On defense wanted to see linebacker play with new defense and was impressed, linebackers were active and look to have some depth as guys like Hicks and Stapleton were very active. Line and D Backs played weld. Defense is group feel most comfortable about in fall

On offense thought Boyle threw and ran offense the best, Whitmer did good and Cochran struggled. Less dancing with backs than in past, great effort by Mariner on his run. Receivers looked good, you can see Thomas is playing with more confidence this year. Nice to see tight end used more often then in past as sure it is something Diaco picked up from Notre Dame with all the tight ends they produced, Meyers looked like Gronk or Bavaro depending if you are a pats or giants fan as would not go down. Other key I watched was the line due to youth and inexperience. Looked better than last year but not sure if any jobs were locked down as offense especially the running game seeme more effective with the second team. After watching our O line get overpowered last few years in short yardage situations it was nice after the off side penalty to see the second team offense run a power play behind left side of line and bang it into the end zone. Have a feeling that might be one group where depth chart in fall will look different than yesterday but in any event will be much improved under Foley this season.

Kicking game is up in the air. Puyol struggled but was said to be very sick with some sort of stomach bug so have to give an incomplete.

Overall a great beginning, we are on the right track .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom