Aneesah Morrow list | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Aneesah Morrow list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Both could use a stretch 4 to pair with Reese/Cardoso. I think she's a really good fit at SC playing the 4. She has an unselfish PG in Johnson to play with the next 2 years, a great shooter in Pao Pao to spread the floor and Cardoso inside which allows her to further develop her skills out of the midrange/high post. I think it'd be similar to a few years ago when Mississippi State took Anriel Howard out of the portal (an undersized ferocious rebounder wanting to develop her perimeter game) and paired her with 6-7 Teaira McCowan. Worked out well for both Howard/Mississippi State.

At LSU her role would be greatly reduced playing with Reese, Hailey Van Lith, Williams and Flaujae, all of whom are stars (or have star potential). If she goes there, I don't think there are enough shots to keep everyone happy.
LSU and SC were the first two schools I thought of when the news broke that Morrow had entered the portal. I thought that she could play with the players, be comfortable with the style of play, and play for those two coaches.

UCLA never entered my mind, but they made the cut as one of her possible three. I believe she will make a decision that she feels is best for her. I also believe that she, her new teammates and the cosches will figure it out. They will make it work.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
LSU and SC were the first two schools I thought of when the news broke that Morrow had entered the portal. I thought that she could play with the players, be comfortable with the style of play, and play for those two coaches.

UCLA never entered my mind, but they made the cut as one of her possible three. I believe she will make a decision that she feels is best for her. I also believe that she, her new teammates and the cosches will figure it out. They will make it work.
USC was the third one, not UCLA. I agree though--wherever she goes I think she'll make it work and do well.

Reaction Score

Wasn't it USC, University of Southern California, not UCLA!?? I thought that the USC Trojans were
a possible best fit... It should have excellent NIL potential = Los Angeles! and a non-stop airline
route back to Chicago. Not to mention first being in the Pac 12 and then, a year later, BIG 10... One more
week to wait??

sun

Reaction Score
LSU & Scar will sign her up even if it's just to keep her off the other team's roster.
There doesn't need to be much discussion, she either follows instructions & executes or gets less PT.
All of the teams will have similar depth on their benches.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
you only hope she doesnt go to lsu or sc. shes a great player and great players adjust everywhere. :)
I’ve seen something like this a few times and don’t know where it’s coming from. We’ve seen Morrow when she can’t rebound or get her points inside. Instead of listening to her coach and setting up Darrione Rogers or another teammate, Morrow stood on the perimeter and chucked up wild threes and Geno was happy to let her . Doug nearly lost his mind and I have to think Kim and Dawn would be just as livid

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I’ve seen something like this a few times and don’t know where it’s coming from. We’ve seen Morrow when she can’t rebound or get her points inside. Instead of listening to her coach and setting up Darrione Rogers or another teammate, Morrow stood on the perimeter and chucked up wild threes and Geno was happy to let her . Doug nearly lost his mind and I have to think Kim and Dawn would be just as livid
Maybe so. But the overall talent at SCar and LSU, not sure about SCal, i think is way better than DePaul. Bruno might have lost his mind a few times, but she pretty much had to carry them most of the time. How she adjusts where she isnt or doesn't have to be the show we shall see.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Morrow is a great rebounder and good close to the basket. She is not an outside shooter. At 6'1 where ever she goes she should play close to the basket where she is effective. IMO coaches know this. Her strength is not from the outside therefore she will not be playing the wing. I would think this limits her effectiveness as teams know she is not a good outside shooter and they only have to guard her closer to the basket.

Reaction Score
tonyc is correct. she would be a great replacement for saxton or beal for sc/ williams for lsu. bet on it ! :)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Morrow carried the load for a pretty mediocre DePaul team. At 6’1” she is a force in the paint, who creates matchup problems for big, slow posts or athletic, lean posts. At the same time, Aaliyah, at 6’3”, big and athletic, outplayed Morrow twice.

For Morrow to shine, she needs to be on the floor with someone else who can take the pressure off her to dominate in the post. Both Kim and Dawn have had success in fielding double-post lineups, and certainly Reese and Cardoso will draw a significant amount of an opponent’s attention, likely freeing up Morrow to move much more freely in the paint.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think Morrow is concerned with leading the nation in scoring, earning first team AA or even maximizing her NIL opportunities. I think this is all about finding a place where she can win as a member of a successful team.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Morrow carried the load for a pretty mediocre DePaul team. At 6’1” she is a force in the paint, who creates matchup problems for big, slow posts or athletic, lean posts. At the same time, Aaliyah, at 6’3”, big and athletic, outplayed Morrow twice.

For Morrow to shine, she needs to be on the floor with someone else who can take the pressure off her to dominate in the post. Both Kim and Dawn have had success in fielding double-post lineups, and certainly Reese and Cardoso will draw a significant amount of an opponent’s attention, likely freeing up Morrow to move much more freely in the paint.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think Morrow is concerned with leading the nation in scoring, earning first team AA or even maximizing her NIL opportunities. I think this is all about finding a place where she can win as a member of a successful team.
DePaul finished the year 16-17. It’s not like Morrow carried the team to the Final Four.

Reaction Score
When I read your comments, the first thing that came to mind is ok….what else could she have done to help her team win more games? At any level in any sport, you can be a good/great player on a bad team with little to no help.

I’m not saying she is a great player, just that she put up some big numbers every game. Numbers that can help win games. Caitlin Clark puts up big numbers, but her team wins because she has a much better supporting cast around her.

No argument, but in your opinion what could she have done that she didn’t that would have translated into more wins? Stewie didn’t win those 4 national championships by herself. I’m not a Morrow fan. You can substitute another name for hers with the same stats and ask the same question.

I’ve seen it in MLB over the years. Players that put up gaudy numbers during the regular season, but their team seldom make the playoffs. Michael Jordan didn’t win those 6 championships by himself. He had help as did Bill Russell, Magic Johnson etc.
As mentioned, draw your own conclusions.

Reaction Score

I could be wrong, but I don’t think Morrow is concerned with leading the nation in scoring, earning first team AA or even maximizing her NIL opportunities. (IN HER FIRST YEAR) I think this is all about finding a place where she can win as a member of a successful team.
Well, I kinda' agree with everything IN HER FIRST YEAR. . I think she does want to play games in late March of her first year. I don't neccesarily think it's about "maximizing" her NIL though a decent "wage" with the potential to maximize the personal NIL opportunities in the future has to be a consideration. Can she fill the house in LA or be in front of the camera almost every game like LSU or SCar? Winning may be more important to her, thus SCar and LSU are still prime candidates. SoCal competing for national championships is a bit of a pipe dream even with JuJu coming in.

I think her goal is to be in a place where she can win early as a big contributor her first year and be a go to big in her second year. (behind and beside a Reese or Cardosa.) At SoCal she could be the go too player her first year - in a huge market (that is not really a strong market for wbb.) The PAC's TV deal is just awful.

Reaction Score

Great comments, Oldude, especially that last part.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Morrow told Alexa Philippou what she is looking for:

Morrow wasn’t ready to leave her hometown of Chicago entering college, but "I kind of feel like I was a butterfly in a cocoon, and now it's time for me to go and spread my wings."

Some of the things she's looking for:

program/school interested in the whole Aneesah, can help her pursue passions in business, entrepreneurship, style + fashion, provide on + off court resources -community, family environment

Reaction Score
I think Morrow believed she had to carry Depaul offensively, especially last year...........that's not going to be the case at SC or LSU.......I don't see Dawn or Kim letting her hog the basketball and shoot crazy shots considering the other shooters they have........

Reaction Score
Well, I kinda' agree with everything IN HER FIRST YEAR. . I think she does want to play games in late March of her first year. I don't neccesarily think it's about "maximizing" her NIL though a decent "wage" with the potential to maximize the personal NIL opportunities in the future has to be a consideration. Can she fill the house in LA or be in front of the camera almost every game like LSU or SCar? Winning may be more important to her, thus SCar and LSU are still prime candidates. SoCal competing for national championships is a bit of a pipe dream even with JuJu coming in.

I think her goal is to be in a place where she can win early as a big contributor her first year and be a go to big in her second year. (behind and beside a Reese or Cardosa.) At SoCal she could be the go too player her first year - in a huge market (that is not really a strong market for wbb.) The PAC's TV deal is just awful.
Isn't USC going to the big 10 after this year?

Reaction Score
Isn't USC going to the big 10 after this year?
yes, but it's only half of her remaining career - assuming she can't or doesn't want to go pro after her first year. And even then, it still won't match the tv exposure of SCar considering SEC/ESPN coverage and nationally covered games like Notre Dame, Stanford, UCLA and UConn and possibly others TBD. We'll see what Kim does about national games.

Reaction Score
you only hope she doesnt go to lsu or sc. shes a great player and great players adjust everywhere. :)
I really believe it’s a bad thing for Kim if she goes to S. Carolina… players will be very upset and their internal team chemistry will be lost, but by all means they can do it. Ha

Reaction Score
Both could use a stretch 4 to pair with Reese/Cardoso. I think she's a really good fit at SC playing the 4. She has an unselfish PG in Johnson to play with the next 2 years, a great shooter in Pao Pao to spread the floor and Cardoso inside which allows her to further develop her skills out of the midrange/high post. I think it'd be similar to a few years ago when Mississippi State took Anriel Howard out of the portal (an undersized ferocious rebounder wanting to develop her perimeter game) and paired her with 6-7 Teaira McCowan. Worked out well for both Howard/Mississippi State.

At LSU her role would be greatly reduced playing with Reese, Hailey Van Lith, Williams and Flaujae, all of whom are stars (or have star potential). If she goes there, I don't think there are enough shots to keep everyone happy.
Williams is gone… she would replace her. Starting 5 would be Reese, Morrow, Hailey, Poole, Johnson. The freshman off the bench soon.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Williams is gone… she would replace her. Starting 5 would be Reese, Morrow, Hailey, Poole, Johnson. The freshman off the bench soon.
Williams is referring to Mikaylah Williams, the #2 incoming recruit.

Reaction Score
I think Morrow believed she had to carry Depaul offensively, especially last year...........that's not going to be the case at SC or LSU.......I don't see Dawn or Kim letting her hog the basketball and shoot crazy shots considering the other shooters they have........
Similar to Nan's and other's comments, saw several games this past year where Morrow was benched for not playing team ball. Also saw her dominated by Edwards and other taller and physically strong bigs. Not sure what her motive for transferring is but wonder after ignoring Bruno much of the season why she would want to play for a more forceful coach and/or go to a league where there are more strong defenders that would reduce her stats. Does she want to win more? Maybe, but likely would have won more at DuPaul if she has followed Bruno's coaching. Team wasn't that good but neither were most of the teams in the league. We will see - should be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom