America 12 to Palestra? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

America 12 to Palestra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
xmas tourneys and conference tourneys are two different beasts. those schools alone would fill the palestra in support of their teams.

I'm not getting you here. What are you saying exactly. That UConn fans don't travel to conference tourneys? Louisville does? Huh?

Reaction Score
and your point is.....
we should stop supporting uconn because some dolt thinks uconn no longer matters?
maybe you can go root for PC or someone else... seriously, take your crap and sell it somewhere else.
wtf are you talking about? uconn went from playing in msg to talks of the palestra. uconn went from playing top notch competition to competing against smu and houston. uconn is getting paid pennies for tv rights when others are earning 20mil plus. that is what's crap pal and apparently you bought it.

Reaction Score
wtf are you talking about? uconn went from playing in msg to talks of the palestra. uconn went from playing top notch competition to competing against smu and houston. uconn is getting paid pennies for tv rights when others are earning 20mil plus. that is what's crap pal and apparently you bought it.

I bought it too. I'm a better fan than you.

Reaction Score
The anomaly is butler.I concede that. But whether or not that is sustainable remains to be seen. What confuses me most is what is your goal here? Do you want UConn to become a glorified mid major? Because that is all you mention here. One off stories with no substance. Get real buddy. To remain elite, to continue to recruit, to continue the pedigree of sending kids to the NBA, to continue to make money, to continue to have national exposure, etc you have to be in a power conference. The teams you mentioned above have none of that. WAKE UP. Two years ago, the question on this board was whether or not we are blue blood. Now you are comparing us to mid-majors and we are supposed to get excited. The only person I know who this excites is Ed Cooley. As long as UConn remains in this s&*t storm, he will be able to compete for recruits!
dude, what is your point? please show me one post hat suggests anyone would prefer uconn remain in this conference over an invite to any of the power 5.
who are you arguing with?

Reaction Score
I'm not getting you here. What are you saying exactly. That UConn fans don't travel to conference tourneys? Louisville does? Huh?
If you are going to talk the talk, walk the walk. Many guys on here keep saying on how UConn will remain an elite program and that recruits will still want to come,etc. Have faith, they say. Well, my point is if this is indeed true, don't fear playing in half filled nba arenas. Don't think playing in a 9000 seat gym for a conference championship is what elite programs do. Don't compare UConn to Butler, Creighton, UNLV, or Gonzaga. The fact that I am getting slammed because I don't see how any of this fits UConn's profile probably summarizes the problem. I believe that UConn is one of the top 6 programs in America. I do not believe that this administration or fan base is acting like it.

Reaction Score
I seriously don't understand your point.

You would rather us play in half-empty stadiums for what? Spite? To prove some point?
Nobody thinks this conference is better than where we were. But there's nothing we can do, and you seem to think that the people in power are doing nothing (you and a number of others) based off nothing.

Reaction Score
While ithe P is the home of one of my AMs, not to mention Coach Miller's, better to bet at MSG. Alt = Brooklyn Dodger Stadium.

Reaction Score
If you are going to talk the talk, walk the walk. Many guys on here keep saying on how UConn will remain an elite program and that recruits will still want to come,etc. Have faith, they say. Well, my point is if this is indeed true, don't fear playing in half filled nba arenas. Don't think playing in a 9000 seat gym for a conference championship is what elite programs do. Don't compare UConn to Butler, Creighton, UNLV, or Gonzaga. The fact that I am getting slammed because I don't see how any of this fits UConn's profile probably summarizes the problem. I believe that UConn is one of the top 6 programs in America. I do not believe that this administration or fan base is acting like it.

So, basically you're saying you've never been to the BET, where teams like Louisville don't bring enough fans to pack the place. Only Cuse and UConn do, Pitt to a lesser degree. UNC, Kentucky, Louisville, they are not bringing more than 4,000 fans to a tourney 1300 miles away. It's just not happening.

You really wouldn't look forward to watching UConn play teams like Cincy, Temple, Memphis, even Houston, on 2 nights, semis and finals, in a historic arena, in a city 3 1/2 hours from New Haven, a city with great bars and restaurants?

Reaction Score
So, basically you're saying you've never been to the BET, where teams like Louisville don't bring enough fans to pack the place. Only Cuse and UConn do, Pitt to a lesser degree. UNC, Kentucky, Louisville, they are not bringing more than 4,000 fans to a tourney 1300 miles away. It's just not happening.

You really wouldn't look forward to watching UConn play teams like Cincy, Temple, Memphis, even Houston, on 2 nights, semis and finals, in a historic arena, in a city 3 1/2 hours from New Haven, a city with great bars and restaurants?
I'm wondering how many fans are coming to watch the new BE at the garden. Lots of empty seats.

Reaction Score

nope. i have never been to the bet. only you have. in fact, i wonder why i have any opinions. please tell me how to think since you know everything.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
UNC, Kentucky, Louisville, they are not bringing more than 4,000 fans to a tourney 1300 miles away. It's just not happening.?

Clearly you've never been to a tourney w Kentucky in it.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
What top-notch competition do you think UConn should still be playing? I'm trying to follow all of your posts in this thread and I'm thinking you feel we should be with the New Big East? So what top-notch competition is in that? Would that be the Butler and Creighton you responded to someone with about us being compared to midmajors like them? How about DePaul, PC, St Johns, and Seton Hall who haven't done ANYTHING in a long time? So that leaves Xavier, Marquette, 'Nova, and G-Town? I'd say we have similar competition in our current conference in Memphis, Temple, and Cincy. Is the bottom of our conference name brand? No. It might not even be stellar but I don't really think UConn would be any better served in the New Big East than it would in our new conference when talking about competition level. Dollars are different but competition, not nearly enough to make anyone have to believe that UConn will no longer be elite or even solid.

Reaction Score
nope. i have never been to the bet. only you have. in fact, i wonder why i have any opinions. please tell me how to think since you know everything.

If you've been there, then what the hell is this stuff about Louisville? Are you blind?

Reaction Score
Clearly you've never been to a tourney w Kentucky in it.

What tourney? Name it. Every SEC outpost is closer. And obviously the NCAA doesn't count. They certainly didn't make the trip the other night.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
What tourney? Name it. Every SEC outpost is closer. And obviously the NCAA doesn't count. They certainly didn't make the trip the other night.
I've been to sec tourney, Maui (even though it only seats 2,000 there were about 2,000,000 ky fans on the island and how about ky v Uconn at MSG in 2009. Ky and ku travel en masse regardless of destination

Reaction Score
I've been to sec tourney, Maui (even though it only seats 2,000 there were about 2,000,000 ky fans on the island and how about ky v Uconn at MSG in 2009. Ky and ku travel en masse regardless of destination

MSG would prove it for me. I missed that one. But I have been to tourneys at MSG including some of the named, like Indiana and Duke, and the attendance was sparse. Don't get me wrong, 4k is a good turnout that far from campus, but when you're in the building, and only half of it is occupied, at best, it's not impressive.

Reaction Score
One thing I can't lose sight of is how you think a conference tournament in a 9000 seat gym with just benches is fine for UConn. It is both pathetic and an absolute joke that most outside of UConn laugh hard at.

Relax your are too tense with this stuff especially what's out of your control.

Arena means nothing unless of course you collect and spend profits. What you want are frenzied fans, good games, tense moments, nail-biting endings and of course for UConn the victories and trophy.

Hell all you need is a barn if you have all of these, and your conference will be the most exciting in the land regardless of elite teams being in it. Sometimes people forget this is an amateur sport where competitive games is what matters. Taking recruiting and elite status too seriously will cause mucho grief as the better the competition the quicker for disappointment and perhaps obscurity. Like great nations, great teams will fall only to rise again. If you helps think of our situation as falling but look for our rise with Ollie.

This is not a spin but reality. We will be fine wherever, who and whenever we play. We are UConn dammit!

Reaction Score
so what does act like it mean? walk away from the program or double down and support the teams.
so while you are complaining that we arent acting like fans because many here are suggesting they will still go to games and support the team, and then complain because a 9000seat arena is too small, wht is it that you want.
do you really think the concept of Uconns position is lost on this board and that we need you to point out the obvious?
you keep pointing out the obvious with nothing to back it up.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I was at Barclays this year for IU-Georgetown and it felt like there were 9,000 Indiana fans there. I was at UConn-Kentucky at MSG in 2009, same thing for Kentucky.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
MSG would prove it for me. I missed that one. But I have been to tourneys at MSG including some of the named, like Indiana and Duke, and the attendance was sparse. Don't get me wrong, 4k is a good turnout that far from campus, but when you're in the building, and only half of it is occupied, at best, it's not impressive.
That was one of the first UK games with Calipari. I was stunned that there were considerably more UK fans than UConn fans there.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
So one fan hates the Palestra and most everyone else thinks Aresco finally may be doing something right for a change. You have to love it that we need to convince the one dude he's wrong. I'm not arguing that people shouldn't express themselves. But after a while the handwriting is on the wall. The guys not backing down. So all those pressing him have to ask themselves is this an important enough topic to merit this much attention?

I'm getting the impression that we are so used to beating our respective *icks that we have to beat this d*ck into submission. OK djct1999 isn't a d*ck and I'm only being gross because humor, even the bad kind, is important for getting likes or getting ignored. Since I'm frequently ignored I'm going to take chances.

Reaction Score
That was one of the first UK games with Calipari. I was stunned that there were considerably more UK fans than UConn fans there.
My wife and I went to that game...2 things stand out about Kentucky attendance being more than us..1 in talking to most of them they used the game to take a trip to NYC. 2 it was another typical UConn ticket office high priced bad seat location because "you don't have the points" for good seats operation. I wish I had bought tickets for that game at the Garden...my seats would have been MUCH better! On a side note a bunch of Kentucky fans started talking trash about football. I told one of them that John Wall had played a GREAT game that night and he was the difference maker...then I asked them when the last time they beat South Carolina 20-0 on the football field was...when they looked at me funny I told them we did it to USC in Birmingham Al in a bowl game...but that they didn't even know what those were! Another Kentucky fan turned to that group amd said "man's got a point...a REAL good point and you should quit this comversation while you can"

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Kentucky is the one school I've seen who I'd believe can fill any arena in the country. I was at that game at MSG; they filled at least half of the Garden. Hell, they jam Rupp for College Gameday; not the game, but the show they do at 10 AM. That's 18,000 fans at 10 in the morning for a college basketball highlights show. They're nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom