America 12 to Palestra? | The Boneyard

America 12 to Palestra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Twitter rumor that it's being explored as tourney host.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'd be for Philly, but the Palestra seems a bit tight. ~9K capacity and they're all right on top of you. Not to mention it's ancient.

Reaction Score
That place would add prestige to the tournament. Perfect place, IMO. Probably the second best option behind MSG.

Reaction Score
Economics 101. Supply vs. Demand. UConn vs Syracuse, sells out 19k. UConn vs Smu, looking to play in a gym that seats 9k? Come on guys, UConn hoops was an elite national brand that is becoming less and less relevant by every Melogroovey, Dude or MHVer3 post. Whats next? The XL center will have the Siberian Circus the first week in March so Aresco can explore Harbor Yards in Bridgeport? If we are looking for prestige, why not an old school triple header......the championship game of the America Metro 12 can be at Central Connecticut sandwiched between the Class L and LL state finals......there may be some value in that!

Reaction Score
Economics 101. Supply vs. Demand. UConn vs Syracuse, sells out 19k. UConn vs Smu, looking to play in a gym that seats 9k? Come on guys, UConn hoops was an elite national brand that is becoming less and less relevant by every Melogroovey, Dude or post. Whats next? The XL center will have the Siberian Circus the first week in March so Aresco can explore Harbor Yards in Bridgeport? If we are looking for prestige, why not an old school triple header......the championship game of the America Metro 12 can be at Central Connecticut sandwiched between the Class L and LL state finals......there may be some value in that!
Um, Louisville won their 2 titles being in a conference with Memphis, Cincinnati, and Southern Mississippi. I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Reaction Score
Um, Louisville won their 2 titles being in a conference with Memphis, Cincinnati, and Southern Mississippi. I find your lack of faith disturbing.
um, yeah....in the 1980s! I find your parallel between where UConn and college basketball is today vs. the 1908s equally disturbing. But it does provide some clarity...................stop living in the past and think about the future. Of which, while in the America 12, UConn has none.

Reaction Score
um, yeah....in the 1980s! I find your parallel between where UConn and college basketball is today vs. the 1908s equally disturbing. But it does provide some clarity...................stop living in the past and think about the future. Of which, while in the America 12, UConn has none.
Um, that basketball conference was worse than what we are going into.

Reaction Score
um, again, the college basketball landscape was completely different back then.
Um, we still have proven programs going into this one. Let me repeat myself, two national titles in a conference that had programs that were not proven except Cincinnati, which won 2 titles 20 years prior.

Reaction Score
There wasn't even a shot clock or 3 pt line or 64 teams for the first one. the rules were different, the game was different, the landscape was different. I think you help prove my point on how dire UConn's situation is when you are referencing a team from 30 years ago and conference that no longer exists. Whats next, are the Lakers better off with George Mikan instead of Dwight Howard?

Reaction Score

Look we're all concerned about UConn's future, BUT, if you want a real object lesson about the UConn brand and how strong it is and will be, there has been enough posted here in the last 24 hours about what these clowns(going to the ACC,Big 12 and Catholic 7) really bring to the table by their collective performance(minus UConn) in The Dance. Somebody posted about us having done "all of the heavy lifting in the past 20 years". Not only was that on the mark but, under KO, regardless of where we play and who we play, do you really think things are going to change? There is all this chatter about what league is the strongest and what program is the best by the talking heads who have to say something to try to generate ratings and protect their paychecks. Nobody likes the unknown but our history and our current head coach will serve us well going forward. You have to have faith that we will always be positioned to do well; and that KO will have everything he needs to make it happen. In the meantime, root like hell that the (former) Big East traitors who still have teams in The Dance get their a**es handed to them(Puke too) and wobble off into the shadows thinking they still mean something.

GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
There wasn't even a shot clock or 3 pt line or 64 teams for the first one. the rules were different, the game was different, the landscape was different. I think you help prove my point on how dire UConn's situation is when you are referencing a team from 30 years ago and conference that no longer exists. Whats next, are the Lakers better off with George Mikan instead of Dwight Howard?
I was saying Louisville won 2 titles in an almost completely unproven conference. Do you cry if you break a nail?

District-Husky

Casual DC Fan
Reaction Score
I would love to play the championship in Philly, but the Palestra is small. I imagine the problem is the A10 plays in the Wachovia Center (or whatever the heck its called).

Reaction Score
please god no. I know and love the Palestra's history and importance. Attending a game at that venue is flat out awful in this era of arenas. Put it at the Wells Fargo Arena.

Reaction Score
Never been there but want to go next season. Guess I'll see what it's like. Yale's facility is pretty cool. Doesn't have skyboxes, etc, but still very nice.

Reaction Score
I was saying Louisville won 2 titles in an almost completely unproven conference. Do you cry if you break a nail?
do i cry? no. but i wouldn't put on a press on nail to conceal the break either. my 3 year old son asked me the other day if he could be a t-rex when he grew up. like any parent would, i said "sure, you can be anything you want." that is what is going on here. you can say what you want about uconn and its future, you can sound supportive, and let everyone believe that things will be ok. sure, uconn can be whatever it wants to be. .....but do you believe it? i sure as hell don't. i suspect, most people who understand the college landscape and what it takes to remain elite, wouldn't for one second believe what you are trying to suggest.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I have no idea what the guy above me just tried to say. I got lost in the babble about dinosaurs.

Requirements for the new tournament are not many - put it in a city where UConn, Cincy and Temple fans can easily get to. Put it in a building where we won't see 3,000 empty seats because USF, UCF, SMU, Houston, Tulane and whoever else didn't send any fans.

At least initially, a smaller venue like the Palestra works. Wells Fargo is definitely nicer, but there is no duck*ing way they will sell 20,000 seats to the Big Not America Metro Conference hoop tournament. There'd be nothing but empty seats on camera and I would bet money that the conference would lose a fortune on it.

Reaction Score
Fishy should be the conference commish.

I'll bet it'll pay at least $50K.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
True but it is not as stark of a difference today as it was a decade ago. Butler and VCU met in a final four two short years ago. Each was from a conference three steps below the big boys at that time.

Reaction Score
do i cry? no. but i wouldn't put on a press on nail to conceal the break either. my 3 year old son asked me the other day if he could be a t-rex when he grew up. like any parent would, i said "sure, you can be anything you want." that is what is going on here. you can say what you want about uconn and its future, you can sound supportive, and let everyone believe that things will be ok. sure, uconn can be whatever it wants to be. .....but do you believe it? i sure as hell don't. i suspect, most people who understand the college landscape and what it takes to remain elite, wouldn't for one second believe what you are trying to suggest.
Actually you could not be more wrong. You clearly are blind to what is going on nationally in college basketball. What conference you are in does not mean crap. What matters is who is running the program. Gonzaga is a 1 seed. VCU is going to final fours, butler and Memphis have played in 3 of the last 5 title games.

Schools like New Mexico and crieghton are winning more in the tournament then UCLA.

These schools have had great coaching and great support of the program. It has nothing to do with conference.if it did DePaul wouldn't be a joke considering they play in the big east and are in Chicago. Same for St. John's.

Wake up buddy conferences mattered in the 80s they don't now

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

I thought so too. This year's tournament is making me reconsider. I think success by the big boys is far less certain than it was years ago, especially since the field has expanded. But I think the ultimate winner is likely to come from a power conference. My brackets tell me I no longer have a clue.

Reaction Score
Actually you could not be more wrong. You clearly are blind to what is going on nationally in college basketball. What conference you are in does not mean crap. What matters is who is running the program. Gonzaga is a 1 seed. VCU is going to final fours, butler and Memphis have played in 3 of the last 5 title games.

Schools like New Mexico and crieghton are winning more in the tournament then UCLA.

These schools have had great coaching and great support of the program. It has nothing to do with conference.if it did DePaul wouldn't be a joke considering they play in the big east and are in Chicago. Same for St. John's.

Wake up buddy conferences mattered in the 80s they don't now
The anomaly is butler.I concede that. But whether or not that is sustainable remains to be seen. What confuses me most is what is your goal here? Do you want UConn to become a glorified mid major? Because that is all you mention here. One off stories with no substance. Get real buddy. To remain elite, to continue to recruit, to continue the pedigree of sending kids to the NBA, to continue to make money, to continue to have national exposure, etc you have to be in a power conference. The teams you mentioned above have none of that. WAKE UP. Two years ago, the question on this board was whether or not we are blue blood. Now you are comparing us to mid-majors and we are supposed to get excited. The only person I know who this excites is Ed Cooley. As long as UConn remains in this s&*t storm, he will be able to compete for recruits!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom