America 12 to Palestra? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

America 12 to Palestra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have no idea what the guy above me just tried to say. I got lost in the babble about dinosaurs.

Requirements for the new tournament are not many - put it in a city where UConn, Cincy and Temple fans can easily get to. Put it in a building where we won't see 3,000 empty seats because USF, UCF, SMU, Houston, Tulane and whoever else didn't send any fans.

At least initially, a smaller venue like the Palestra works. Wells Fargo is definitely nicer, but there is no duck*ing way they will sell 20,000 seats to the Big Not America Metro Conference hoop tournament. There'd be nothing but empty seats on camera and I would bet money that the conference would lose a fortune on it.
There are many times I get lost in your babble. One thing I can't lose sight of is how you think a conference tournament in a 9000 seat gym with just benches is fine for UConn. It is both pathetic and an absolute joke that most outside of UConn laugh hard at.

Reaction Score
I thought the guy was saying the Palestra was too big up until his last post.

Reaction Score

I'm sold. Put it at the Palestra, at least it will provide a great basketball vibe that will sell on TV. " The Cathedral of College basketball"

I think that it would be great. Bars, restaurants, trains and a hotel, all in walking distance. I would go.

What good is a huge arena, if it's 1/3 full?

Reaction Score
There are many times I get lost in your babble. One thing I can't lose sight of is how you think a conference tournament in a 9000 seat gym with just benches is fine for UConn. It is both pathetic and an absolute joke that most outside of UConn laugh hard at.

Get over yourself, Duke is regarded as the top basketball program in the country and they play in an old gym, part of Butler's charm is their old arena. Spacious new arena's are the most overrated things in sports, they usually mean the fans are farther away from the game. (every Yankee fan I know misses the old stadium) I'd much rather be in a historic building with great seating.

Reaction Score
I am starting to like this idea. Conference tournaments are the most interesting when played at neutral arenas and if MSG andBarclays are not options, this looks like the next best alternative.

Reaction Score
The anomaly is butler.I concede that. But whether or not that is sustainable remains to be seen. What confuses me most is what is your goal here? Do you want UConn to become a glorified mid major? Because that is all you mention here. One off stories with no substance. Get real buddy. To remain elite, to continue to recruit, to continue the pedigree of sending kids to the NBA, to continue to make money, to continue to have national exposure, etc you have to be in a power conference. The teams you mentioned above have none of that. WAKE UP. Two years ago, the question on this board was whether or not we are blue blood. Now you are comparing us to mid-majors and we are supposed to get excited. The only person I know who this excites is Ed Cooley. As long as UConn remains in this s&*t storm, he will be able to compete for recruits!
I don't have a goal, but I have a point. There is a difference. My point is uconn is not going anywhere, they are still going to be a top 10 program no matter what conference they are in. My other point is that if you think conference affiliation dictates your success you are wrong.

Reaction Score
holy jdct you gotta chill brah. this is a speculative tweet, were not signing a lifetime contract with the palestra. weve yet to actually play a game post-BE, for all you know or anyone knows we could join a different conference before we even officially play in the A12

Reaction Score
The Palestra is the best venue I have ever been to -- hands down. Seats 8,722 and every seat is a good one. Amazing history and would be part of the story for the conference tournament. Temple is a big / very big draw in Philly and would drive ticket demand, and people in the city appreciate the Palestra enough that it would itself drive sales regardless of who is playing. I really like this idea, at least at first.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Conference affiliation means something to only those who belong. I don't see Gonzage looking to flee, I don't see UNLV bailing out and these are just a few of national programs - LIKE UCONN - who could go independant and be successful. UCONN has a brand it has a history and it has/had JC. Nothing can take that away and kids coming out of high school know that KO and JC can point them to the NBA if the kid works hard or at least earn themselves a ton of money in Europe.
If it is held in the Palestra do you honestly think that there won't be some improvements made by the conference - at least cosmetics?
Don't be so negative and look at the opportunities not what you/I/KO/players can't control.

Reaction Score
The Palestra is the best venue I have ever been to -- hands down. Seats 8,722 and every seat is a good one. Amazing history and would be part of the story for the conference tournament. Temple is a big / very big draw in Philly and would drive ticket demand, and people in the city appreciate the Palestra enough that it would itself drive sales regardless of who is playing. I really like this idea, at least at first.
We need to push this through. The support at least here seems to be right on. Plus, I'll be able to go for a tournament game instead of a Penn game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Actually you could not be more wrong. You clearly are blind to what is going on nationally in college basketball. What conference you are in does not mean crap. What matters is who is running the program. Gonzaga is a 1 seed. VCU is going to final fours, butler and Memphis have played in 3 of the last 5 title games.

Schools like New Mexico and crieghton are winning more in the tournament then UCLA.

These schools have had great coaching and great support of the program. It has nothing to do with conference.if it did DePaul wouldn't be a joke considering they play in the big east and are in Chicago. Same for St. John's.

Wake up buddy conferences mattered in the 80s they don't now
Well unless you want TV money, then they might...just a bit.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I guess we could rebuild the Field House...
Hawly. You don't want the camera's showing empty seats.

That said we could do worse than the Palestra.

Reaction Score
Actually you could not be more wrong. You clearly are blind to what is going on nationally in college basketball. What conference you are in does not mean crap. What matters is who is running the program. Gonzaga is a 1 seed. VCU is going to final fours, butler and Memphis have played in 3 of the last 5 title games.

Schools like New Mexico and crieghton are winning more in the tournament then UCLA.

These schools have had great coaching and great support of the program. It has nothing to do with conference.if it did DePaul wouldn't be a joke considering they play in the big east and are in Chicago. Same for St. John's.

Wake up buddy conferences mattered in the 80s they don't now

I was with you until you wrote Creighton. Creighton has done nothing in the tournament since 1975.

Reaction Score
Stupid.

They should play it at the FedEx Forum in Memphis. State of the art NBA arena. And Memphis fans would probably fill it up on their own. It's the easy choice. So of course they pick something else.

I do not see any reason this tournament should be at the Palestra. Temple would bring fans....and? I think UConn would bring the same amount of fans to Philly for this tournament as we would to Memphis which is not much.

Reaction Score
Stupid.

They should play it at the FedEx Forum in Memphis. State of the art NBA arena. And Memphis fans would probably fill it up on their own. It's the easy choice. So of course they pick something else.

I do not see any reason this tournament should be at the Palestra. Temple would bring fans....and? I think UConn would bring the same amount of fans to Philly for this tournament as we would to Memphis which is not much.

I'd definitely go for the entire tourney. Would enjoy going. Would I go to Memphis? No.

Reaction Score
I'd definitely go for the entire tourney. Would enjoy going. Would I go to Memphis? No.
Totally agree with this. I'm not going to Memphis, I might go to the tournament in Philly.

Reaction Score
yet schools like syracuse, louisville, kentucky, indiana, duke, unc, etc.....fill up nba arenas anywhere in the country.

Reaction Score
yet schools like syracuse, louisville, kentucky, indiana, duke, unc, etc.....fill up nba arenas anywhere in the country.

??? They don't. I've been to plenty of XMas tourney games with those teams (except Indiana).

Reaction Score
??? They don't. I've been to plenty of XMas tourney games with those teams (except Indiana).
xmas tourneys and conference tourneys are two different beasts. those schools alone would fill the palestra in support of their teams.

Reaction Score
um, yeah....in the 1980s! I find your parallel between where UConn and college basketball is today vs. the 1908s equally disturbing. But it does provide some clarity...................stop living in the past and think about the future. Of which, while in the America 12, UConn has none.
and your point is.....
we should stop supporting uconn because some dolt thinks uconn no longer matters?
maybe you can go root for PC or someone else... seriously, take your crap and sell it somewhere else.

Reaction Score
This is anecdotal, but count me as another who will go to the Palestra but not to Memphis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom