Amazing Job By Ollie | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Amazing Job By Ollie

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
If by amazing you mean ridiculously dumb, I agree (in regards to benching Bazz).

Obviously we will never know for sure, but given what we've seen of KO and the two foul "rule" this year, I don't believe there was any way that KO intended to keep Bazz on the bench for the rest of the half. Two in 8 minutes is 'unBazz-like' and KO needed to get him back in normal form. Bazz is too important in winning time to take a chance that he's not there when needed most. I think he just wanted to give him a few minutes to watch the game and get his emotions in check. But when the lead kept shrinking with the TSam/Boat combo, there was no need to mess with what was working so well, so KO took advantage of the situation that developed. As opposed to your opinion that it was 'dumb', I found it to be masterful.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can only image the effect the half time comment "We are gonna win", had on the team.KO is a classy individual of character and exudes the confidence of a champion.

Reaction Score
Still not a fan of the two foul rule, especially with a guard, but there's no denying it worked out extremely well tonight. Ollie coached one hell of a game, his rotations were phenomenal.
I'm not sure it was a "rule" per se, don't forget he kept Giffey in there against St. Joes, and he picked up his 3rd in the first half. My guess was going to take Bazz out and re-evaluate for every media timeout, or if VU went on a run. By the time it got to eight and four to go, it was clear there was no reason to to reinsert him for the rest of the half. You can't leave him in there with ~10 minutes left and two fouls, you risk the nuclear third foul - which VU is going try and draw every single possession by driving at him repeatedly. At some point, you have to have faith in your second and third options that they'll hold the fort - as Ricky Moore did in '99 and Taliek Brown did in '04.

Reaction Score
Another thing about this:

Much like playing Samuel a little more, starting in February, he allowed Boat to run the offense more. Sometimes with Shabazz on the bench. I felt that it must have been to get Shabazz more of a rest. But I think it allowed him to get more experience and confidence running the team without Bazz: both for next year, and in case of foul trouble. He allowed Boat to play through some of the bad plays, and it's paying off.

KO is coaching for the big picture, and it's impressive.
Yep. If Boehiem was our coach we would have lost yesterday because Samuel wouldn't have played at all the last 2 months and wouldn't be prepared to step in.

Reaction Score
"It was just a great run by us with our leader on the bench," Ollie said, "but that just shows you what kind of team we're made out of. That's what our guys do. That's how we're built. We're UConn made. We're UConn-made, through and through."

Someone needs to get some tee shirts and bumper stickers made.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Yep. If Boehiem was our coach we would have lost yesterday because Samuel wouldn't have played at all the last 2 months and wouldn't be prepared to step in.

Don't overcomplicate the issue. If Boehiem was our coach we would have lost yesterday because Boehiem was our coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom