Amazing Job By Ollie | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Amazing Job By Ollie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Are you serious? She was gorgeous. And, she's got excellent interview skills.

No she's gorgeous. And her boyfriend/fiancé/husband better pony up some cash soon because her rings look like they cam from Kay Jewelers.

Reaction Score
It honestly feels like KO was saving all these moves up his sleeve all year. T Sam. These lineup changes. Some offensive plays. I've been screaming to mix it up for a month and it appears he was just saving it this whole time!

That's why he's the coach and I'm not. He's done a phenomenal job. We seemed to stagnate towards the end of the year but we are really clicking right now. Getting production from everyone. Niels lasan t Sam amida. Everyone is filling a part. WOW.

Andddd. Duke. Cuse. Pitt. And nova are all gone. Could it get any better.

Reaction Score
The problem is Nova was up by like nine points when Bazz went out of the game. Taking your best player out when the opposing team is on the verge of stretching the lead to double digits is very ill-advised, IMO. It worked out, and I know my opinion will be very unpopular here, but I just can't get behind the idea of benching a guy who averages a fraction over two fouls per 40 minutes. It isn't like this is Okafor and he has to guard Shelden Williams, Bazz is a guard and he's one of the smartest players in Ameica.

Not only did he have 2 but he was off to a dreadful start…….got caught in a double team, passéd up a wide open 3 to throw another crappy pass and missed a pass at half court for a back court call…….the bench helped him and calmed him. Had to do it for more than the 2 foul reasons but as said above if they grew or maintained that lead he would have been back earlier…..instead Samuel and others filled in wonderfully!

Reaction Score
If by amazing you mean ridiculously dumb, I agree (in regards to benching Bazz).

Right. Following in his mentor's footsteps is dumb. Like when Caron Butler sat with 2 fouls against Maryland, or when Okafor sat for 18 minutes in the first half against Duke in the final four.

Good lord the stupid is on you THICK.

Reaction Score
Not only did he have 2 but he was off to a dreadful start…….got caught in a double team, passéd up a wide open 3 to throw another crappy pass and missed a pass at half court for a back court call…….the bench helped him and calmed him. Had to do it for more than the 2 foul reasons but as said above if they grew or maintained that lead he would have been back earlier…..instead Samuel and others filled in wonderfully!

Samuel was awesome tonight. Five years ago it was the freshman Kemba playing a big role off the bench during a final four run. Three years ago it was 'Bazz. Now it's Samuel's time.

Reaction Score
I was a hold out waiting to see what he did in March. Making the AAC finals and the Sweet 16 (so far) is fantastic. Glad he's ours.

Reaction Score
Good coaching by KO. He re-focused the team early on and we, for the most part, controlled the game after that.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If by amazing you mean ridiculously dumb, I agree (in regards to benching Bazz).
As Jim Calhoun said when he benched Emeka with two fouls during the first half against Duke in San Antonio in 2004, I learned a long time ago that basketball games are 40 minutes long. Worked out pretty well for both of them, don't you think?

Reaction Score

Great point. Agree that sitting him did calm him down and helped conserve energy. Plus we needed some D at that point and Bazz couldn't provide it with 2 fouls. If the lead increased, I'm sure Bazz would have gone back in.

Reaction Score
Great point. Agree that sitting him did calm him down and helped conserve energy. Plus we needed some D at that point and Bazz couldn't provide it with 2 fouls. If the lead increased, I'm sure Bazz would have gone back in.

If you remember the 3 on 3 when I think it was Bell who had the ball in the middle and Bazz was in the middle of the transition D, he already had one foul and Bell took it to him because Boat and Giffey took the lane fillers on each side and Boat had to play ole' defense already early game!!! You are spot on about his defensive ability with 2 and Samuel was solid down there……...

Reaction Score
At the time Bazz got his second foul it was absolutely right for him to go to the bench, then they go on a little run and obviously Ollie think this is the perfect time for Bazz to get a huge rest and stay out of more foul trouble. This was a very smart because it also would allowed Bazz to be fresh for the whole second half, where it was clear he wasn't on Thursday. PLUS he got the shin injury in the first half so it could of been even worse if it got re-aggretivated shortly after. Coach Ollie was awesome last night, his passion for the boys and the game is so evident.

Reaction Score
yeah you cant keep Napier in the game with 2 fousl that early. Nova has great guards and arcidiacano puts lots of pressure on the D. I know that a guard with fouls is different than a big with fouls, but teams still play into it, and Nova would have made it very hard for shabazz to not foul and still hold teh D tight. Would have made that run exceedingly hard, when you think about it Archie was the only one they would turn to for big buckets, so having Samuel come in and play rock solid D was genius.

I simply don't understnad how Ollie and the team did what they did. First few plays it seemed pinkston was a beast and was going to rummage through our post players like a raccoon going thru my trash, but after that play we completely shut their game down and made them just pass around til they took a jumpshot. THe entire game felt like I was daydreaming, because they never got into any semblance of a game at all. We played great basketball and took over that game, suck it Old Big East!! its just us and the cardinals left

Reaction Score
Still not a fan of the two foul rule, especially with a guard, but there's no denying it worked out extremely well tonight. Ollie coached one hell of a game, his rotations were phenomenal.

I agree. I think (hope) that if the game was getting out of hand, he would have put Bazz back in. But once it was clear that the lineup with Samuel and Boat was causing problems for Nova, he kept riding the hot hand.

caw

Reaction Score
One thing that kind of sucks is that in about 25 years were going to have to find a new coach.

I can see it now, after a 15 or so year career in the NBA, 5 years as an assistant and another five at a plucky mid-major (say Boston College) Kevin Ollie retires and UConn names Coach Napier as it's next coach at the age of 47. Free scooter then complains that UConn didn't hire someone with major college ball experience.

Reaction Score
He left Giffey in with two fouls against St. Joe's the game before, and Giffey picked up a third.

I don't think it's a hard and fast rule with KO as it was with JC.

Reaction Score
Another thing about this:

Much like playing Samuel a little more, starting in February, he allowed Boat to run the offense more. Sometimes with Shabazz on the bench. I felt that it must have been to get Shabazz more of a rest. But I think it allowed him to get more experience and confidence running the team without Bazz: both for next year, and in case of foul trouble. He allowed Boat to play through some of the bad plays, and it's paying off.

KO is coaching for the big picture, and it's impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom