2024 Recruiting: - Ahmad Nowell OV 6/8 | Page 14 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Ahmad Nowell OV 6/8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think they’re gonna get him. And not to be salty, but I wasn’t blown away by Harper this week. But him and Bailey will be a really fun duo for Pike.
And they’ll still probably go 19-15 and miss the NCAA Tournament. :)

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I think they’re gonna get him. And not to be salty, but I wasn’t blown away by Harper this week. But him and Bailey will be a really fun duo for Pike.
I hope they get him.

But I think it’s worth pointing out that Harper and Bailey are both 1 and done that probably won’t be as good in college as Cam Spencer was last season. So UConn getting Spencer this year might be a bigger L for them than landing either of Harper or Bailey are Ws

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I hope they get him.

But I think it’s worth pointing out that Harper and Bailey are both 1 and done that probably won’t be as good in college as Cam Spencer was last season. So UConn getting Spencer this year might be a bigger L for them than landing either of Harper or Bailey are Ws
I have a hard time believing the top 2 players in the country wouldn’t be as good as a guy who needed college for 4 years. It certainly raises the ceiling on how good they can be.

Castle might be our best perimeter guy next year. At least that’s my hope.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I have a hard time believing the top 2 players in the country wouldn’t be as good as a guy who needed college for 4 years. It certainly raises the ceiling on how good they can be.

Castle might be our best perimeter guy next year. At least that’s my hope.
The fact that Spencer needed 4 years to be that good is irrelevant here. They’re obviously better talents than Spencer, but Spencer in years 4 and 5 is probably going to be better than either Harper or Bailey’s freshman year before they go pro.

It will be hard for Castle to be as good as Spencer was las year. If he is and is sharing a backcourt with Spencer and Newton, UConn will be insane this year.

Two 1 and dones is awesome, but without a good supporting cast it won’t be enough. There’s a reason Calipari only has 1 ring. They’ll lose Omoruyi after this year too. It’s not like Rutgers will be a guaranteed top team

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The fact that Spencer needed 4 years to be that good is irrelevant here. They’re obviously better talents than Spencer, but Spencer in years 4 and 5 is probably going to be better than either Harper or Bailey’s freshman year before they go pro.

It will be hard for Castle to be as good as Spencer was las year. If he is and is sharing a backcourt with Spencer and Newton, UConn will be insane this year.

Two 1 and dones is awesome, but without a good supporting cast it won’t be enough. There’s a reason Calipari only has 1 ring. They’ll lose Omoruyi after this year too. It’s not like Rutgers will be a guaranteed top team
Oh I have no idea how good Rutgers can be. I’m just not sure about Spencer being better than 2 top recruits even in year 4 and 5.

Heck Karaban and Clingan looked better than Newton last year and they weren’t even top recruits. Talent is talent.

Rutgers definitely needs a supporting cast around them though if they want to succeed.

Reaction Score
I got crazy flak for pointing out that Rutgers is competing with us for some recruits now especially in the northeast market. But it’s true.

Since Hurley took over, outside of Gavin Griffiths, I can't recall a single recruit that Rutgers landed when both UConn and Rutgers were in aggressive pursuit.

EDIT - I forgot about Paul Mulcahy early on as well.

Reaction Score
Admittedly, I don't follow recruiting that much. But how on earth can Rutgers pull #2 AND #1 in the same class? Does that not mess with your mind like it does mine?

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Oh I have no idea how good Rutgers can be. I’m just not sure about Spencer being better than 2 top recruits even in year 4 and 5.

Heck Karaban and Clingan looked better than Newton last year and they weren’t even top recruits. Talent is talent.

Rutgers definitely needs a supporting cast around them though if they want to succeed.
He was better than every freshman in the country last year aside from Miller and Filipowski

Reaction Score
Since Hurley took over, outside of Gavin Griffiths, I can't recall a single recruit that Rutgers landed when both UConn and Rutgers were in aggressive pursuit.

EDIT - I forgot about Paul Mulcahy early on as well.
Griffiths hurt and still hurts for many of us being a shooter and home grown CT kid. That’s why many of us feel like Betsey is such a huge priority to get and keep home. Imagine if Clingan had gotten away and starred elsewhere. You have to defend your home turf and your backyard.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He was better than every freshman in the country last year aside from Miller and Filipowski
This is pretty bias seeing that Cam Whitmore is right in the big east and was missed.

I’m not going through a whole list, but I’m sure there’s probably more. It’s fine though because Newton was a perfect fit for what we needed. Wouldn’t have traded him for anyone else.

Reaction Score
This is pretty bias seeing that Cam Whitmore is right in the big east and was missed.

I’m not going through a whole list, but I’m sure there’s probably more. It’s fine though because Newton was a perfect fit for what we needed. Wouldn’t have traded him for anyone else.
It's objectively true, Cam Spencer was statistically better than all but 4 freshman last year. Spencer was at 3.9 for reference

IMG_1685.jpeg

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It's objectively true, Cam Spencer was statistically better than all but 4 freshman last year. Spencer was at 3.9 for reference

View attachment 89527
Oh I thought we were talking about Newton. But still, so according to this chart. Cam was better than Kyle, Jarace Walker, our own Alex Karaban and Donovan Clingan and still Cam Whitmore?

So pretty much, he should be the best player on the team this year according to this chart.

Reaction Score
Oh I thought we were talking about Newton. But still, so according to this chart. Cam was better than Kyle, Jarace Walker, our own Alex Karaban and Donovan Clingan and still Cam Whitmore?

So pretty much, he should be the best player on the team this year according to this chart.
No, 3.9 is usually the 3rd or 4th best player on a team and that's what I'd expect him to be. Clingan and Karaban should both make big jumps as sophomores, Newton and Castle are toss-ups.

The chart is filtered on just freshmen, who unsurprisingly often don't perform as well as upperclassmen who have a ton more experience

Reaction Score

This stat doesn't take defense into account whatsoever, so take that for what it's worth (especially in regards to Clingan).
No, 3.9 is usually the 3rd or 4th best player on a team and that's what I'd expect him to be
To be clear, 3.9 is around the best 100 players in the country. So maybe the 3rd best player on a top-heavy top 5 team or the best player on a really good midmajor or mediocre major conference team. Either way, Spencer's PRPG! will likely drop with the transfer as he takes on a smaller role on a new team with a lot of depth. Size of role is a big factor in PRPG!.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
No, 3.9 is usually the 3rd or 4th best player on a team and that's what I'd expect him to be. Clingan and Karaban should both make big jumps as sophomores, Newton and Castle are toss-ups.

The chart is filtered on just freshmen, who unsurprisingly often don't perform as well as upperclassmen who have a ton more experience
Thanks for actually pulling the data so Spencer was better than all but 4 freshman this past season and 3 power conference freshman.

But 3.9 is not usually 3rd or 4th, it’s almost always 1st or 2nd. Only 9 teams (UConn, Gonzaga, Marquette, Kansas, Baylor, Memphis, Xavier, MSU, and Miami) had two 3.9 or higher last year. So Spencer is nasty and a bigger impact player than most one and dones, which was my original point.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
This stat doesn't take defense into account whatsoever, so take that for what it's worth (especially in regards to Clingan).

To be clear, 3.9 is around the best 100 players in the country. So maybe the 3rd best player on a top 5 team or the best player on a really good midmajor or mediocre major conference team. Either way, Spencer's PRPG! will likely drop with the transfer as he takes on a smaller role on a new team. Size of role is a big factor in PRPG!.
It should be interesting because Spencer’s usage actually wasn’t that high and he’s moving from an offense that was inefficient to one that should be better.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

Again, Cam was better than Kyle, Jarace Walker, our own Alex Karaban and Donovan Clingan and still Cam Whitmore?

Kyle and Jarace were All Conference players. But this chart says that Cam was a better player when he didn’t receive any awards.

Reaction Score
Again, Cam was better than Kyle, Jarace Walker, our own Alex Karaban and Donovan Clingan and still Cam Whitmore?

Kyle and Jarace were All Conference players. But this chart says that Cam was a better player when he didn’t receive any awards.
Yes

Reaction Score
It should be interesting because Spencer’s usage actually wasn’t that high and he’s moving from an offense that was inefficient to one that should be better.
It's true, will be interesting to see. Fit is also incredibly important, and it seems like he should fit well.

I don't have usage in my transfer stats, but the average high major to high major transfer between 3.5 and 4.2 PRPG! in the portal era (summers of '21 and '22) drops 1.3 PRPG! on the new team. 6 guys dropped below 3.5 and 2 stayed above that threshold (but even 1 of the 2 that stayed above had his PRPG fall). The same was true for RAPM.

transfer.png

Reaction Score

To be clear, 3.9 is around the best 100 players in the country. So maybe the 3rd best player on a top-heavy top 5 team or the best player on a really good midmajor or mediocre major conference team. Either way, Spencer's PRPG! will likely drop with the transfer as he takes on a smaller role on a new team with a lot of depth. Size of role is a big factor in PRPG!.
Yeah to be clear was basing the 3rd or 4th best player based on our championship roster and what next year is looking like. It's a really good player, we'll just have a lot of those

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom