ACC options | Page 6 | The Boneyard

ACC options

Reaction Score
We are not even on their radar. People need to stop getting their hopes up. There may be members that have already said they will never vote us in not 20 years ago, not 10 years ago, not now, not in 11 billion years from now, so the ACC isn't going to waste its time on looking at us.

Reaction Score
I dunno, maybe you guys will start listening to me.

We’re done.
Done as in forever done?

Perhaps we need just go all in with indy and try to land the most lucrative streaming contract. Hopefully, there will be a nice number of subscribers that can generate much more revenue vs. now.

Reaction Score

Why aren't our governor and AD pitching us into this set up?

We are more valuable to the B12 in the long, and I seriously hope those plain schools realize that.

We really really need a good football season starting in a few weeks.

Reaction Score

We’re done.
I wouldn't say we're done. Uconn will still compete in athletics it's not like we aren't going to have uniforms.

Reaction Score
Charlie We are not even on their radar. People need to stop getting their hopes up. There may be members that have already said they will never vote us in not 20 years ago, not 10 years ago, not now, not in 11 billion years from now, so the ACC isn't going to waste its time on looking at us.
There is always another

Fail Charlie Brown GIF by Peanuts

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

We’re done.
Then I vote we change our name to The Crimson Permanent Assurance. Don't rest until every conference lays in tatters.

Reaction Score
I think the ACC could salvage itself, but it needs to be proactive. And things have to bounce their way. Neither of which will likely happen.

Assuming it loses 5 schools and ND goes as well, you’ve still got stellar hoops and several fb schools. The goal isn’t to beat SEC or Big, you just have to beat Big 12 or be close to keep P4 status.

Ultimately, comes down to when the P2 stop grabbing schools. Is that 20, 22, or 24.

20 helps Acc since they have more value and would likely be the next target.

In that case you still have Nc state, Pitt, VA tech, and Louisville as core fb. Wake is wake. If ACC could woo Kansas, WVU and Cincy plus UConn, that is a nice win. Maybe add USF and Memphis and it’s a decent fb league maybe enough to keep P4. Basketball would be strong.

Syracuse and BC need to step up on both fb and bb.
The ACC might be able to eventually get Cinci and West Virginia, because of geography. But I would think that Kansas would only move for the B1G/SEC.

Reaction Score
Hopefully it's at least 22. In that case something like this happens (schools can be swapped between the conferences and it doesn't change the point)

B1G (18): UNC, UVA, ND, Miami
SEC (16): FSU, Clemson, NCST, GT, VT, Louisville

That leaves... ACC: BC, Duke, Pitt, Cuse, WF

If the XII can hold onto P3 and they also go to 22 then they need 6 more members. UConn has to hold off Memphis, SMU, SDSU, Tulane, USF, etc to be that number 6. I would hope we are currently ahead of all of these G5 teams and at least BC, Cuse, and WF at this point from the ACC leftovers.

If the number is 20, things get a lot tougher for UConn. We're probably currently the "last team in" in that scenario.
I think the number will be 20. East and west divisions of 10 each. League scheduling is easy, as you play the other 9 teams in your division. Schools schedule teams from the other division on their own, and they count the same as out of conference. I also think the conference championship games dissappear. Ideally, you have your two 9-0 division champions and your two 8-1 second place teams rest up for the playoffs. I want to see what the playoff committee does for 'bys' if a conference doesn't want to determine one champion, but instead runs them as 2 separate conferences (divisions).

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I think the number will be 20. East and west divisions of 10 each. League scheduling is easy, as you play the other 9 teams in your division. Schools schedule teams from the other division on their own, and they count the same as out of conference. I also think the conference championship games dissappear. Ideally, you have your two 9-0 division champions and your two 8-1 second place teams rest up for the playoffs. I want to see what the playoff committee does for 'bys' if a conference doesn't want to determine one champion, but instead runs them as 2 separate conferences (divisions).
I’m just wondering why we are still talking about divisions, you make 10 team East West football divisions in the Big10 (let’s say they take Kansas and UConn to get to 20). That’s a full 9 game conference schedule. What happens to the great matchups that the TV networks bought? Michigan , PSU and OSU will never play USC, Oregon, Washington or even Wisconsin. Not what the TV execs want. Also, the Eastern schools want to play out west and vice versa. Football divisions aren’t happening. Maybe pods, but that leads to unbalanced scheduling. The Big10 has gone divisionless and I think they will stay that way.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I’m just wondering why we are still talking about divisions, you make 10 team East West football divisions in the Big10 (let’s say they take Kansas and UConn to get to 20). That’s a full 9 game conference schedule. What happens to the great matchups that the TV networks bought? Michigan , PSU and OSU will never play USC, Oregon, Washington or even Wisconsin. Not what the TV execs want. Also, the Eastern schools want to play out west and vice versa. Football divisions aren’t happening. Maybe pods, but that leads to unbalanced scheduling. The Big10 has gone divisionless and I think they will stay that way.
At some point the B1G will have 24 schools and field four pods of six schools each.

Personally our getting added is a dream scenario but even if it isn't for another 16-18 years before this is completed I don't think we'll have enough time to get to where we'd need to be for consideration.

The sad thing is twenty years ago we feasibly were twenty to twenty five years away but our leadership squandered so much capital and goodwill that we killed any opportunities we may have had at being able to run elbows on all levels with the best public schools in the country.

Reaction Score
At some point the B1G will have 24 schools and field four pods of six schools each.

Personally our getting added is a dream scenario but even if it isn't for another 16-18 years before this is completed I don't think we'll have enough time to get to where we'd need to be for consideration.

The sad thing is twenty years ago we feasibly were twenty to twenty five years away but our leadership squandered so much capital and goodwill that we killed any opportunities we may have had at being able to run elbows on all levels with the best public schools in the country.
James Pitaro,CEO of ESPN, lives in Westport. Can’t you talk to him since he is your neighbor.

Reaction Score
The Athletic is reporting that the ACC is discussing not only Cal and Stanford but also SMU moving to the conference.

Reaction Score
Done as in forever done?

Perhaps we need just go all in with indy and try to land the most lucrative streaming contract. Hopefully, there will be a nice number of subscribers that can generate much more revenue vs. now.
Our problem is making a decent schedule. The B1G is going to 10 conference games. Even ND will have a difficult time scheduling B1G teams

Reaction Score
Can the state government even pressure ESPN that much? I’d imagine the threat of leaving the state would be enough of a political nightmare that they’d never push that hard.
Once ESPN is sold they may be gone anyway.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
It's getting so desperate that these schools are willing to accept pennies to join. I mean, I'd be fine if UConn did the same at this point, but I can't see how this is even feasible for the PAC schools to travel basically across country all season and only make a partial share. SMU basically said they'd take nothing and have their insanely rich donors fund their program.

Reaction Score
It's getting so desperate that these schools are willing to accept pennies to join. I mean, I'd be fine if UConn did the same at this point, but I can't see how this is even feasible for the PAC schools to travel basically across country all season and only make a partial share. SMU basically said they'd take nothing and have their insanely rich donors fund their program.
This. The ACC will (maybe) take SMU b/c SMU (reportedly) said they would forgot disbursements for “several years”. Heck, why wouldn’t the ACC take that if it’s true. They get SMU for free and get into Texas. UConn’s likely not making that same offer.

Reaction Score

This is why the Stanford/Cal/SMU move for the ACC makes financial sense. The ACC is going by the old playbook of markets to increase the carriage rate instead of brands to drive ratings. This will work for the next 5 years +/-, but it's not a LT strategy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom