ACC options | The Boneyard

ACC options

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
August 15 deadline approaches. If FSU or other ACC school wants to leave and play in a new conference for 2024 they need to notify the ACC by August 15th.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This was always the most likely spot. I kept saying that if you are ESPN and have to pay $22m+ for UConn (which they approved) you'd put us in the ACC, not the Big XII.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This was always the most likely spot. I kept saying that if you are ESPN and have to pay $22m+ for UConn (which they approved) you'd put us in the ACC, not the Big XII.
Sort of. They paid $22 million for the rights to 2/3 of our games. It would be a power-play to move us to the ACC and take our rights away from Fox. And, yes, we are likely available for less than a full share of revenue, at least temporarily. It would bolster the strength of the conference in basketball and give the ACC a little bit more of a buffer against the inevitable departures in 2036... and that is exactly why ESPN will not do it. In my opinion, the ACC is the next target for "consolidation". Assuming that is correct then making the conference more resistant to dissolution is not in ESPN's interest.

Reaction Score
Sort of. They paid $22 million for the rights to 2/3 of our games. It would be a power-play to move us to the ACC and take our rights away from Fox. And, yes, we are likely available for less than a full share of revenue, at least temporarily. It would bolster the strength of the conference in basketball and give the ACC a little bit more of a buffer against the inevitable departures in 2036... and that is exactly why ESPN will not do it. In my opinion, the ACC is the next target for "consolidation". Assuming that is correct then making the conference more resistant to dissolution is not in ESPN's interest.
Unless the GOR can be worked around, the Big XII is next up.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Unless the GOR can be worked around, the Big XII is next up.
Yeah, I just think the big 12 is better positioned to survive given the number of members and the fact that they're really not desirable to anyone else. Ironic, isn't it.

Reaction Score
I am curious if people know more about FSU's discussion with private equity about a college media network. This is an obvious threat to the media companies like ESPN and FOX.

How can UConn get involved with this? Our brand is worth much more than we are being paid right now.

Also, how can we leverage streaming platforms like Apple to get more revenue for football?

We have to think of UConn like we think of running a business going forward.

Reaction Score
If West Virginia gets an ACC offer do they take it?
This Western focused expansion is telling schools they just added in the East they are second class. The question is how long will schools like WVU keep sending their athletes across multiple time zones to compete at a disadvantage? If the ACC made a similar offer, will that make more sense?

The B12 is set up to be picked apart right around the 2029 time frame. Can the ACC get it's act together by then to raid the B12?

I think B12 not adding UConn this round will go down as one of the stupidest moves ever to solidify their Eastern front. It might not be as bad as Larry Scott not taking Texas and OU when he had the chance, but it is still a major strategic mistake.

Reaction Score
I am curious if people know more about FSU's discussion with private equity about a college media network. This is an obvious threat to the media companies like ESPN and FOX.

How can UConn get involved with this? Our brand is worth much more than we are being paid right now.

Also, how can we leverage streaming platforms like Apple to get more revenue for football?

f a private equity

I think we'll learn more later.

FSU's Chair of the BOT, Peter Collins, is cofounder and Managing Principal of a private equity fund.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I just think the big 12 is better positioned to survive given the number of members and the fact that they're really not desirable to anyone else. Ironic, isn't it.
Again, they'd be desirable to the ACC. At least Texas and Kansas. There was at least a vague notion of adding UT a decade ago, but that Longhorn Network was a sticking point as it was elsewhere.

Reaction Score
"Wake Forest will not be left out in the cold if the ACC begins to disassemble because of high-quality leadership, according to one insider."

fantasy
Last couple of years they have had good teams but not known to be football blue blood. No history.

Reaction Score

FSU's Chair of the BOT, Peter Collins, is cofounder and Managing Principal of a private equity fund.

FSU's Chair of the BOT, Peter Collins, is cofounder and Managing Principal of a private equity fund
It is obvious media companies like FOX and ESPN have way too much power, and it is also obvious they are the ones behind all the realignment moves for a while now.

There need to be more options for colleges to take back some control vs. just being chess pieces being moved as media companies desire.

Reaction Score
"Wake Forest will not be left out in the cold if the ACC begins to disassemble because of high-quality leadership, according to one insider."

fantasy
Wake has a good football coach. Just FYI, we could have hired this same guy but we went with some of the worst coaches in history here.

Reaction Score
North Carolina having 4 power conference programs is not feasible in any contraction scenario. UNC is first, Wake is last, and the fight is whether one or both of Duke and State can get a life raft.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
Wake has a good football coach. Just FYI, we could have hired this same guy but we went with some of the worst coaches in history here.
i'm sure they do and their program looks good. my point is that if Stanford got left out, there's absolutely no way that the B1G or SEC or whoever are going to put aside better targets to take Wake

Reaction Score
North Carolina having 4 power conference programs is not feasible in any contraction scenario. UNC is first, Wake is last, and the fight is whether one or both of Duke and State can get a life raft.

There may be a problem with UNC and NC State being hooked together.

Reaction Score
UNC will likely try and find a seat at the table for State, but the pressure would be too intense for State to hold UNC back.

Reaction Score
They are hooked together until the big or sec comes calling and says to UNC come or we are going to offer your little brother….. then that problem would be solved.

Reaction Score
Consolidation is going to happen and when it does, Miami, FSU, Clemson, UNC, UVA, and ND aren't going to all be left out. They're going to jump from the ACC to the B1G and SEC. So is the rest of the ACC stronger than the XII? The stronger of those two groups is going to consume the other. XII is clearly stronger in my eyes and they'll address their east coast shortfalls once the ACC is scalped of the 6 schools above. Hard to imagine that adding UConn will somehow push the ACC beyond the XII.

Collage_2023-08-07_10_36_07.jpg

Reaction Score
According to second article, ACC doesn’t exist

Reaction Score
What if FSU and a bunch of schools just get together and form a media company along with a steaming platform with private equity funding? Each college could just be a partner in this new entity. Streaming platforms like Apple, Amazon, etc. can be partners as well? They go out and make money, and everyone get paid based on their shares?

The fund raised from private equity will be used for marketing and promotion of this platform.

I can see UConn be part of this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom