ACC options | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ACC options

Reaction Score
I don’t think this new era will work out the way some of the mega programs think it will.

It's not supposed to work in the long term. It's there to help FSU obtain its goal of breaking free from the terrible deal they signed.

Once they are free, as far as they are concerned they are free to do as they please and the B1G or SEC will always have a landslide spot for them. Everyone else is a pawn.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Of course it won't. If LSU is with superpowers going 3-9 every year, how long will they stay interested? Every time you eliminate dreck, there is a new bottom and someone else who wasn't dreck now is.

The same thing will happen to sports that happened with TV original programming. Just like the days of a megahit TV show like Friends are gone forever, the days of a handful of college athletics programs dominating are also over.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Again, they'd be desirable to the ACC. At least Texas and Kansas. There was at least a vague notion of adding UT a decade ago, but that Longhorn Network was a sticking point as it was elsewhere.
Let me restate that then they are not desirable by anyone who is paying a higher conference broadcast rates distribution than they are already receiving.

CL82

Reaction Score
What if FSU and a bunch of schools just get together and form a media company along with a steaming platform with private equity funding? Each college could just be a partner in this new entity. Streaming platforms like Apple, Amazon, etc. can be partners as well? They go out and make money, and everyone get paid based on their shares?

The fund raised from private equity will be used for marketing and promotion of this platform.

I can see UConn be part of this.
So, FSU blocked us from the ACC, but they would embrace us as a partner in this new venture?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It's not supposed to work in the long term. It's there to help FSU obtain its goal of breaking free from the terrible deal they signed.

Once they are free, as far as they are concerned they are free to do as they please and the B1G or SEC will always have a landslide spot for them. Everyone else is a pawn.

If you are right, and the P2 emerge dominant (which they won’t), the NBA and NFL will crush them. We are nowhere near the end game, and people need to stop overreacting to each event.

Reaction Score
Let me restate that then they are not desirable by anyone who is paying a higher conference broadcast rates distribution than they are already receiving.
Well the ACC would be paying more in a couple years. And if you think a big chunk of the Big XII value comes from Texas and Kansas, you'd likely be able to sell them on the idea they'd make more cutting out Kansas State and BYU and Central Florida. I mean the most value would come from cherry-picking the two leagues. Short of that, telling Texas money they don't have to carry the entire load would probably be the next best option.

Reaction Score
So, FSU blocked us from the ACC, but they would embrace us as a partners in this new venture?
FSU is a school that doesn't give a lick about anyone other than itself. They are run by a bunch of ruthless cutthroats that don't give a lick about their partners.

That being said, if we can help them get extra $1, I think we have a chance to be part of it. They will need content other than football, and we bring plenty of that.

Reaction Score
A scenario is UVA and UNC to B1G; Clemson and FSU to SEC. The rest don’t move as they are dilutive.

If Miami and ND walked into the B1G office today ready to jump ship together, B1G isn't turning them away. Would seem that the final remaining B1G priorities would be:

1) ND
2) UNC
3) any/all combo of UVA, Miami, Kansas

At that point you can lock the door to the B1G forever.

CL82

Reaction Score
Well the ACC would be paying more in a couple years. And if you think a big chunk of the Big XII value comes from Texas and Kansas, you'd likely be able to sell them on the idea they'd make more cutting out Kansas State and BYU and Central Florida.
Lol, Texas is going to the SEC. They aren't leaving there for the ACC.

In 2036 there is going to be a mass exodus from the conference. Right now the ACC isn't more attractive than the big 12. In fact, I suspect that after Clemson, FSU, UNC and UVA bail, at least a couple of schools will be picked up by the big 12. Probably Louisville and Pittsburgh.

Reaction Score
Lol, Texas is going to the SEC. They aren't leaving there for the ACC.

In 2036 there is going to be a mass exodus from the conference. Right now the ACC isn't more attractive than the big 12. In fact, I suspect that after Clemson, FSU, UNC bail, at least a couple of schools will be picked up by the big 12. Probably Louisville in Pittsburgh.
The Big XII Texas schools (Tech and TCU would be my guess). And 2031 comes before 2036. If the GOR is as ironclad as people say, the pressure will be on the Big XII moneymakers if they still want to carry the load for West Virginia, Central Florida, 2 Utah schools, Iowa State, etc.

Reaction Score
If Miami and ND walked into the B1G office today ready to jump ship together, B1G isn't turning them away. Would seem that the final remaining B1G priorities would be:

1) ND
2) UNC
3) any/all combo of UVA, Miami, Kansas

At that point you can lock the door to the B1G forever.
Will ND hold to its football independence? If so they would not be walking in with Miami.

So if ND stays Indy, would Miami get into the B1G on its own resume? I don’t think so.

Maybe the B1G stops at UNC and UVA.

Reaction Score
I'd say the gap between SEC/B1G and everyone else will eventually be so large that ND has to give up the Indy game they've been playing. And if Miami also goes B1G then ND would still have the football rivals it wants (Mich, Mich St, Penn St, Miami, USC, Purdue), minus Navy and Stanford which it can play OOC.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If Miami and ND walked into the B1G office today ready to jump ship together, B1G isn't turning them away.
True.

The B1G would say to Miami "could you give us a few minutes to speak with ND on Ice Hockey". When Miami walks out the B1G says to ND "lock the door, we don't want them walking back in".

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Pete Thamel discusses the options for the remaining Pac-12 schools, including Stanford potentially moving to the ACC.

Reaction Score
FSU did beat the SEC West Champ (LSU) last season, Florida, and soon to be SEC Oklahoma.

Losing record in 4 of the last 5 years.

Sure but 10 win season last year...Preseason top 10 this year. Norvell had to rebuild.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Football only?
How? They would either have to join a conference that does not sponsor football or make all other sports independent.

Reaction Score
I love how on the nose this whole sham becomes when the Atlantic Coast Conference seeks out enclaves in Berkeley and Palo Alto.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom