ACC options | Page 8 | The Boneyard

ACC options

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
Stanford and Cal want to stay in the now P4. I agree B1G, Big 12 would be the first two choices, but the ACC is much better than going independent. It’s been a disaster for us.
From our POV, we very much need them to become independent. Having 2 more schools (with decent footprint, not great mind you) to schedule in October and November would be great for us and bring us up to 4 total we could reliably schedule

Reaction Score
That's just not possible. FSU is asking for the conference to squeeze blood from a stone and is being completely unreasonable. FSU needs to understand there is no way for them to compete with the B1G or SEC schools and accept their position as a second class citizen. It's OK, there's going to be a lot of schools getting kicked out of the "power" club soon. Welcome to our world.

Oh well...just give up, huh?

FSU will compete as long as they are able...But I am all for going down with the decks awash and all guns blazing.

I's rather go down like Sonny Corleone than wheezing out my last years on a respirator.

(what a mixed metaphor..)

Reaction Score
That UConn is not in this discussion is both dumbfounding and infuriating. They must really hold a grudge in Tobacco Road.
I honestly can't see us getting looked at by a conference again. I think it's over. We've been passed over by everyone. I think we're looked at not differently than the rest of our Big East brethren. We happen to play football, but it's not even considered MAC level and there's little appetite for seeing if that would change.

To be clear, I think this is BS. UConn is significantly more valuable than a number of teams that have been chosen ahead of us, and certainly more valuable than a number of legacy Power teams. The Big 12 just doubled up in two states (one of which has slightly lower population than Connecticut despite being 5(?) times the size). The ACC took two private schools and a borderline community college over a flagship UConn.

This is over until we get an invite. Any other noise is just that. You can feel bad for Charlie Brown for a couple misses, but after a while, he's the sucker. Let's just keep winning and enjoy the ride. The administration needs to do everything it can to allow us to be relevant in basketball. It just doesn't look like a Power conference is part of that equation.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
I honestly can't see us getting looked at by a conference again. I think it's over. We've been passed over by everyone. I think we're looked at not differently than the rest of our Big East brethren. We happen to play football, but it's not even considered MAC level and there's little appetite for seeing if that would change.

To be clear, I think this is BS. UConn is significantly more valuable than a number of teams that have been chosen ahead of us, and certainly more valuable than a number of legacy Power teams. The Big 12 just doubled up in two states (one of which has slightly lower population than Connecticut despite being 5(?) times the size). The ACC took two private schools and a borderline community college over a flagship UConn.

This is over until we get an invite. Any other noise is just that. You can feel bad for Charlie Brown for a couple misses, but after a while, he's the sucker. Let's just keep winning and enjoy the ride. The administration needs to do everything it can to allow us to be relevant in basketball. It just doesn't look like a Power conference is part of that equation.
I tend to agree with your POV. Our future is making our own destiny. Help lead the Big East back into the realm of big public schools after the inevitable collapse of the ACC, Big 12, or both

Reaction Score
I wonder if we’ve approached the ACC and offered to join at a discounted rate the way other schools have.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

FSU will compete as long as they are able...But I am all for going down with the decks awash and all guns blazing.

I's rather go down like Sonny Corleone than wheezing out my last years on a respirator.

It's simply absurd that FSU thinks they won't be able to compete. The B1G teams aren't dominating anybody despite the revenue. The portal has leveled the playing field more than the top schools want to admit. TCU? Cincinnati? FSU will be fine in the ACC. This is more like a player holding out for more money because he feels slighted. It's nothing but wounded pride. The ACC payout goes up every year and will blow right past the Big XII soon.

Kansas just built a football locker room and weight room that looks like it's from Star Trek, on Big XII money.

Reaction Score
Nobody cares about SMU in Dallas Ft. Worth nevermind Texas

It's like saying Sacred Heart brings the Connecticut market. It doesn't even bring the Bridgeport market, it has to share that with Fairfield. Same thing

SMU is the ACC's death rattle, the same as Tulane was for the Big East

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
After this 100% of our fanbase should be onboard with taking any P4 offer that comes our way. Clearly St John's would go to the ACC if the ACC decided to go hybrid and you know Nova and Gtown won't be far behind at which point Providence would be begging to get in.

Edit: alright as I read this a third time maybe I am misreading his intentions here but I still think they would go hybrid.
After this 100% of our fanbase should be onboard with taking any P4 offer that comes our way. Clearly St John's would go to the ACC if the ACC decided to go hybrid and you know Nova and Gtown won't be far behind at which point Providence would be begging to get in.

Edit: alright as I read this a third time maybe I am misreading his intentions here but I still think they would go hybrid.
St John's to Big 12 is real

Reaction Score
It's simply absurd that FSU thinks they won't be able to compete. The B1G teams aren't dominating anybody despite the revenue. The portal has leveled the playing field more than the top schools want to admit. TCU? Cincinnati? FSU will be fine in the ACC. This is more like a player holding out for more money because he feels slighted. It's nothing but wounded pride. The ACC payout goes up every year and will blow right past the Big XII soon.

Kansas just built a football locker room and weight room that looks like it's from Star Trek, on Big XII money.

Things are fine now...the worry is that with the current unregulated NIL....teams with an extra $30-50 million per year can than use booster contributions heretofor earmarked for certain athletic department things to be poured into paying for athletes.

Reaction Score
FSU has one national championship a decade ago. It's not the money holding them back. Maybe they were a bigger deal before I was alive, but my perception of the school is that their profile is perfect for the ACC. A lot of power schools are about to get a reality check. There's always going to be someone getting more money. FSU is getting and will get paid plenty in the coming years for what they are. Being mad that they can't get Ohio State or Alabama money is like me crying that my employer won't pay me Jeff Bezos money.

Reaction Score
The ACC must have a pretty good profile then....even during the horrible 2014-2019 years, FSU was
#14 nationally in viewership. They bring value.

I'm willing to bet that the FSU-LSU opener this year will draw very well.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That UConn is not in this discussion is both dumbfounding and infuriating. They must really hold a grudge in Tobacco Road.
Maybe, or maybe they reached out to us and asked us if we would take a reduced share and we said no.

Stanford, Cal, and SMU if it is a financial net nothing, or close to it, to the other schools would seem to be a mistake as it would dramatically increase travel expenses. Who knows though. I'd love to see the financials they're circulating, because that's where this decision is going to be made.

On some levels I hope Stanford and California go to the ACC, because if they don't I'm afraid they may hook up with the big east, which is an even dumber idea.

Reaction Score
Compounding things re the SEC. FSU is in the middle of SEC country...,

The Tallahassee northern city limit is 18 miles from the Georgia line and the panhandle borders Alabama ....The primary rival is the University of Florida. Recruiting areas overlap.

FSU opened last year, and will again this year, with LSU. In 2017 and 2016 FSU opened with Alabama and Mississippi.

FSU has future home and homes with Alabama (2025,2026) and Georgia (2027 and 2028) and, of course, plays the Gators every year.

The Gators have always had more money than FSU...but the amount will be increasing over time. When your hated primary rival has an advantage, it sucks.

Football is so unlike basketball....the CFP Final Four is usually populated by big money teams...last year's BB Final Four with FAU and San Diego State would have been, if in football, a sign of the end times.

CL82

Reaction Score

The really interesting question is how does that money get divided? Does it go equally to every current member? Does FSU get an extra helping? This has the potential to be so divisive.

Reaction Score

You’re Fredo is this scenario.

Reaction Score
Haters will hate.
Do you not realize how tone deaf your posts about FSU only making $40 million a year in the ACC come off considering the audience? Pardon us if we don't have sympathy for poor little FSU "only" making 10x what UConn does. FSU is just another in the majority of power schools that does less with more. Be happy with what you have instead of being mad that someone else has more than you. Talk about entitled spoiled brats.

Reaction Score
I grew up on the Seminoles and the 8 dwarves, remember the 1997 Judgment Day like it was yesterday (UNC vs FSU, Michigan vs Penn State). Wish nothing but the best for FSU. But they’ve been disgruntled for their entire time in the league, engineered expansion to suit their desires, promptly screwed the pooch as did their expansion targets, and now say the ACC did them dirty. If them, Miami, and VPI had kept up their end of the bargain, the ACC contract would look a lot different.

Reaction Score
Only in America can you dilute an already unwatchable product and make more money. Until, of course, you don’t.

Reaction Score
Maybe, or maybe they reached out to us and asked us if we would take a reduced share and we said no.

I’d hope this isn’t the case currently as it seems like there’s a lot of scrambling going on and we need to find a way to get our foot in the door. I’m not saying to go free as SMU allegedly is doing but there has to be a reasonable number we’d be presenting the ACC to make it work for all sides - All sides meaning us, the ACC, and ESPN

Reaction Score

SMU included free with purchase of two Pac-12 schools​

SALESMAN: Ha ha, of course you have! Here, come right in, come right in. Let me show you this. Near mint condition, 30% off, a flagship institution of higher learning. A bear of a deal! Comes with some sports packages.

SALESMAN: How much time do you have? Ha ha! You’re a busy man, much to do, I can see that. Let me tell you this: this tree is as sturdy as she comes. You get this tree, you also get a small collection of nerds with musical instruments who’ll spend three hours a week insulting you. Bet you don’t have that!

SALESMAN: Didn’t think so! But I can see you’re still wavering, so let me toss out this one last offer, and heck of a deal that I’m ready to offer you and only you. You agree to buy these two items here today, and I’ll throw in a pony.

CL82

Reaction Score
I’d hope this isn’t the case currently as it seems like there’s a lot of scrambling going on and we need to find a way to get our foot in the door. I’m not saying to go free as SMU allegedly is doing but there has to be a reasonable number we’d be presenting the ACC to make it work for all sides - All sides meaning us, the ACC, and ESPN
Yeah no idea, but I am sure that things are happening in the margins, all the time. In fact Governor Lamont said as much in his quote on the subject.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom