ACC options | Page 5 | The Boneyard

ACC options

Reaction Score
If the ACC ends up adding Cal and Stamford it will indicate poor leadership. You don't pick up the leftover scraps from realignment. You go after the top universities. The ACC. didn't have a lot of leverage here as geographicly it made more sense for the 12 to go after teams and the B1G already had USC and UCLA.

The ACC should have went after Arizona, that made more sense, but I'm not sure the network would have added money to the conference to make it happen as the current deal is long term and ESPN has no reason to change anything, so they end up diluting the current value of the contract.

I think this applies to Cal and Stamford. Don't see the ACC making any additions here.

Reaction Score
For UConn- it’s sit and spin and wait for someone at Fox or ESPN to finally love us. Without the tv love- nothing happens.

It is infuriating that our fate is being determined by these damn TV networks as it always been. ESPN has really harmed us in so many ways. It is still puzzling with our men's and women's basketball programs, they are willing to let FOX keep us.

Really hope the Big East will be able to get some new media partners next round vs. leaving us being pawns of both media companies.

Reaction Score
It sounds like Stanford and Cal might be willing to take a reduced rate to join the ACC. Even though I am in CA and very close to both schools, it boggles my mind both Bay Area schools will be in the ACC before us.

Reaction Score
If the ACC ends up adding Cal and Stamford it will indicate poor leadership. You don't pick up the leftover scraps from realignment. You go after the top universities. The ACC. didn't have a lot of leverage here as geographicly it made more sense for the 12 to go after teams and the B1G already had USC and UCLA.

The ACC should have went after Arizona, that made more sense, but I'm not sure the network would have added money to the conference to make it happen as the current deal is long term and ESPN has no reason to change anything, so they end up diluting the current value of the contract.

I think this applies to Cal and Stamford. Don't see the ACC making any additions here.
Unfortunately I do see both Bay Area schools ending up in the ACC. I am sure ACC presidents are tripping over themselves trying to have their universities associate with both academic schools.

ESPN will find a way to get this done since both schools will take a reduced rate, and they get some additional late night content on the cheap.

Reaction Score
It sounds like Stanford and Cal might be willing to take a reduced rate to join the ACC. Even though I am in CA and very close to both schools, it boggles my mind both Bay Area schools will be in the ACC before us.

I don’t think the ACC teams will support it. Some of the schools are crying poor now. Stanford and Cal will want a full share since they will be spending 7-8 m on travel expenses. The Acc team will be adding expenses for their teams to travel out west to play Stanford and Cal. The kids will lose time from their classes as well. I doubt this goes anywhere.

Reaction Score
I don’t think the ACC teams will support it. Some of the schools are crying poor now. Stanford and Cal will want a full share since they will be spending 7-8 m on travel expenses. The Acc team will be adding expenses for their teams to travel out west to play Stanford and Cal. The kids will lose time from their classes as well. I doubt this goes anywhere.
Let's wait and see. ESPN will get some late hour content on the cheap, and they get into the Bay Area market. ESPN doesn't give a crap about the well beings of student athletes.

If both join the ACC, it opens up the Western expansion front for the conference. I am sure they will take more teams down the road. The only thing is both Bay Area schools might not have to sign the 13 years GOR. I doubt they want to be locked down that long as long as B1G is an option.

Reaction Score
The kids will lose time from their classes as well. I doubt this goes anywhere.

The only sports where classes matter and where student athlete is still a valid descriptor is within the non-revenue variety. The kids to worry about aren't playing football or basketball.

Reaction Score
There are rumours and articles like his floating around now. I am wondering if ESPN is up to something. They might be willing to pay a few key schools more money to get them into the SEC before the B1G makes the next move.

Reaction Score
The Big, Big 12, and SEC are very close to Congress getting involved.
ESPN, Fox, CBS might also end up being investigated.
It would be in all their best interest to make sure Stanford, Cal, Oregon St, Washington St have landing spots.
All it takes is a couple of Senators to bring up Antitrust, and all of them are in trouble.

Reaction Score
The only sports where classes matter and where student athlete is still a valid descriptor is within the non-revenue variety. The kids to worry about aren't playing football or basketball.
Stanford prides itself in all sports. All that travel for the student athlete will kill their recruiting.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Stanford prides itself in all sports. All that travel for the student athlete will kill their recruiting.
So will playing MWC teams. Their baseball schedule is wrecked now, but would be in arguably the best baseball conference in the ACC. Soccer? Dead if they play MWC teams. Fantastic opponents in the ACC. What choices do they have?

1. ACC
2. PAC expands with MWC and AAC teams. Bringing in Tulane and SMU would help compared to some of the MWC opponents like Wyoming. Get to keep the PAC NCAA credits.
3. Join WCC and go independent in football. I don't see how this helps them. It's fine for basketball.

Reaction Score
I think 2. Recruiting for Olympic sports will be about national titles not conference titles.

Reaction Score
Maybe to a small extent, however the key selling point in Stanford's Recruiting Pitch is getting a degree from Stanford. That won't change.

Reaction Score
It would be in all their best interest to make sure Stanford, Cal, Oregon St, Washington St have landing spots.
All it takes is a couple of Senators to bring up Antitrust, and all of them are in trouble.
Why do you think this is an anti-trust case?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

The better plaintiff(s) would be a G5 school, and it would be a slam dunk. The P4 would never even let it get to discovery.

Reaction Score
Let's wait and see. ESPN will get some late hour content on the cheap, and they get into the Bay Area market. ESPN doesn't give a crap about the well beings of student athletes.

If both join the ACC, it opens up the Western expansion front for the conference. I am sure they will take more teams down the road. The only thing is both Bay Area schools might not have to sign the 13 years GOR. I doubt they want to be locked down that long as long as B1G is an option.

4. Additional Members. The Conference shall not admit a new member to the Conference unless and until (a) such new member agrees to become bound by this Agreement with respect to all sports in which it participates as a member of the Conference by executing a signature page or joinder agreement hereto as a condition to such admission and (b) grants to the Conference pursuant to this Agreement all Rights of such Member Institution with respect to such sports.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
4. Additional Members. The Conference shall not admit a new member to the Conference unless and until (a) such new member agrees to become bound by this Agreement with respect to all sports in which it participates as a member of the Conference by executing a signature page or joinder agreement hereto as a condition to such admission and (b) grants to the Conference pursuant to this Agreement all Rights of such Member Institution with respect to such sports.
I assumed this was obvious. No conference is letting you in unless you sign the GOR (if they have one). That's why Washington and Oregon were considering the Apple deal until the B1G called. They weren't signing that Big XII GOR.

Reaction Score
The ACC will do what the SECESPN tells them to do. That includes FSU.

ESPN doesn't want a dead ACC ripped apart like the PAC.

Notice how quiet the SEC is being. I think they try to stan pat for the time being

Reaction Score
The ACC will do what the SECESPN tells them to do. That includes FSU.

ESPN doesn't want a dead ACC ripped apart like the PAC.

Notice how quiet the SEC is being. I think they try to stan pat for the time being

ESPN/SEC mouthpieces 4 days ago....they didn't get the memo.

SEC expert and ESPN analyst Paul Finebaum and ESPN star Stephen A. Smith discussed whether FSU and possibly other ACC teams should depart the conference for the SEC. According to Finebaum, both Clemson and Florida State would be perfect fits for the SEC as they continue their expansion.

“If you look at Clemson and Florida State, there are no two better fits in the world to the SEC than those two,” Finebaum said on First Take. “I mean they’ve won national championships in the last 10 years. They recruit at the highest level. They have good coaches. They have phenomenal traditions. And they’re both in states with SEC schools.”

Reaction Score
Or...maybe he did get a memo....this was Finebaum a month earlier:

“I think Florida State is similar [to Clemson]. I don’t think they’re nearly as attractive as they think they are. Besides, Florida already covers that part of the world and so I think Miami, to me, would be next. I think it’s an important part of the country. It’s a very populated part of the country too,” Finebaum argued on “McElroy and Cubelic in the Morning,” according to SI.com.

Reaction Score

The SEC should have gone after Arizona

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom