ACC approves Grant of Rights | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ACC approves Grant of Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This does a few things. 1. It assures the top ACC football schools will remain 2nd tier nationally for the duration of this agreement. 2. For similar reasons, but evening more jarring, this pushes UConn into oblivion. With the media rights agreed to with the AAC, UConn will find itself unable to afford to wait this out. With each passing year, our football program will become less competitive and the athletic departments balance sheet will become more red.

Why can't we become Boise East? Better academics, better overall athletic programs, top notch facilities.

Just dominate the conference and good things will happen. Doesn't the top ranked team from outside the big 5 conferences get a playoff invite?

Winning cures all ills. Well at least I hope it does.

Reaction Score
Perhaps Sue and Warde should head back to the Bahamas.

I'm only half kidding. That last spot in the ACC was crucial, Louisville went to the mattresses for it. We monitored. I hate myself.

Reaction Score
...Except that we're UConn. We don't just put up great regular season records and flop in the tournament. We win national titles.
Jim Calhoun did these things.

Let's hope KO can as well.

And, let's hope against all hope there's more movement. B12 to 16? SEC to 20? B1G to 36?

Reaction Score
Corey_Clark4:08pm via web
Barron's interpretation is that this move is great for ESPN/ACC because ESPN is tired of renegotiating contracts.

Corey_Clark4:10pm via web
Barron on new TV deal: "Because of the schools that have been added we’re going to get a significant plus-up.”

Corey_Clark4:11pm via web
Barron: "And we’re going to start diligently working on an ACC network. It was very clear ESPN wasn’t interested in making either ..."

Corey_Clark4:12pm via web
"... one of those investments, which are significant, if the conferences aren't stable.”

Corey_Clark4:13pm via web
Barron: "Stability, added resources and the potential of the network --- those things in my view change the game."

Barron is FSU President

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Your source is Gene DeFillipo.

The defense rests.

Yes, since he was on the committee making the recommendations and has first hand knowledge. What you do you have? I'm still waiting.

CL82

Reaction Score
Corey_Clark4:08pm via web
Barron's interpretation is that this move is great for ESPN/ACC because ESPN is tired of renegotiating contracts.

Corey_Clark4:10pm via web
Barron on new TV deal: "Because of the schools that have been added we’re going to get a significant plus-up.”

Corey_Clark4:11pm via web
Barron: "And we’re going to start diligently working on an ACC network. It was very clear ESPN wasn’t interested in making either ..."

Corey_Clark4:12pm via web
"... one of those investments, which are significant, if the conferences aren't stable.”

Corey_Clark4:13pm via web
Barron: "Stability, added resources and the potential of the network --- those things in my view change the game."

Barron is FSU President
By the way, ESPN could get us in the ACC now just by writing a check. If they don't, they ought to held accountable.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's not a theory - it's a statement of fact.

I doubt they specifically set out to do it, but that's the end result.

Either way, doesn't change the outcome.

It hasn't changed the "likely" outcome. That outcome hasn't yet occurred. Out athletics are not yet destroyed. This is like a slow poison. Death by lack of money, lack of exposure and lack of quality competition. It doesn't kill quickly, and there is an antidote. Will anyone administer the antidote before it is too late? I think there is a shot.

They poisoned a healthy patient, with recent hoops titles, new facility for football and one for hoops being built. Solid in other sports, and hockey improving, going to the big time. Ollie looks good. Plus a small war chest of money from Big East departures. The UConn Huskies are hard to kill. Local apathy is our worst enemy now.

Reaction Score
Why can't we become Boise East? Better academics, better overall athletic programs, top notch facilities.

Just dominate the conference and good things will happen. Doesn't the top ranked team from outside the big 5 conferences get a playoff invite?

Winning cures all ills. Well at least I hope it does.
Art, why have we NEVER been Boise East? What they are doing is the stuff of legend. If it was easily replicated, it would be done by more schools.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Yes, since he was on the committee making the recommendations and has first hand knowledge. What you do you have? I'm still waiting.

Logic and reason.

What benefit is there to ESPN?

Reaction Score
Keep the source in mind, but this might be a silver lining.

MHver3 @MHver3 6m
Fwiw I'm hearing ACC GOR will not be legally binding until next fiscal year. Delaney will poach before then.

Reaction Score
Keep the source in mind, but this might be a silver lining.

@ 6m
Fwiw I'm hearing ACC GOR will not be legally binding until next fiscal year. Delaney will poach before then.

I can't believe those three (m-h-v-e-r-3, thedudeofwv and gregs-w-a-i-m) haven't deleted their twitter accounts yet.

Reaction Score
I was wondering why the name wasn't showing up, just figured out it must be a banned word around these parts haha. Oops.

Reaction Score
Art, why have we NEVER been Boise East? What they are doing is the stuff of legend. If it was easily replicated, it would be done by more schools.
Because Boise started before Uconn. It took them a decade+ to get to where they have respect year after year.

And Uconn needs to change a few things when it comes to football recruiting and requirements. The FB program needs some more leeway and needs to drop down about 10% in terms of graduation rate by taking in about 3 to 4 JUCO players every year. Those players will have 1 thing in common - SPEED. That is the very simple Boise formula. Get speed from kids that have it but are not going to any factory. That means hitting the CA, TX and FL JUCO's real hard. Once you are established as a fun place for talent to play, then you start weening off the JUCO.

Play anyone, anywhere, anytime. Screw the home and home requirement for right now. Show the recruits a schedule that will make them drool.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
There was a visionary poster who proposed shutting the football program down 2 months ago. Doesn't seem like such a bad idea now.

This news certainly helps explain the morbid atmosphere and corner cutting at the spring game.

Aw cmon...someone has to comment on Nelson's link between the GOR and the "corner cutting" at the spring game! That's Gold Jerry...Gold!!!

Reaction Score
Because Boise started before Uconn. It took them a decade+ to get to where they have respect year after year.

And Uconn needs to change a few things when it comes to football recruiting and requirements. The FB program needs some more leeway and needs to drop down about 10% in terms of graduation rate by taking in about 3 to 4 JUCO players every year. Those players will have 1 thing in common - SPEED. That is the very simple Boise formula. Get speed from kids that have it but are not going to any factory. That means hitting the CA, TX and FL JUCO's real hard. Once you are established as a fun place for talent to play, then you start weening off the JUCO.

Play anyone, anywhere, anytime. Screw the home and home requirement for right now. Show the recruits a schedule that will make them drool.
Plus we don't have blue turf!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

My God people. Boise isn't worthy to carry our used jock strap. It's a glorified community college with a bunch of football players that would be ineligible at any real college. They are not an aspirational model. We're already miles beyond Boise St. The last thing in the world UConn should do is destroy the hard won reputation of the university and all the other sports programs in order to field a better football team.

Reaction Score
I believe Boise States transitional fbs year was 1997, ours was either 99 or 2000. That's not a huge difference. Your right about the crucial roles JUCO recruits has made for them, I doubt that UCONN would ever allow something similar, though I wouldn't be against it. Before there was Boise, there was Bill Snyder at Kansas State. That is pretty much it for rags to fbs royalty.

And we don't have blue turf.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I try to be optimistic but how are we expected to run our athletic program on this TV deal?? I lost track what bowls could we be eligible for in this conference ?

The toilet bowl.

Reaction Score

WVU, Cincy and UL were the reasons we were not Boise East. Now Cincy SHOULD be our only major obstacle to conference titles.

If we can't win conference titles in this conference and beat good OOC teams then it's our own fault.

Boise is in a weak conference and they dominate it while beating quality OOC teams.

Reaction Score
Fair point....

KevinRDuffy: #UConn fans...look on the bright side, with ACC schools out of realignment picture, Huskies have less competition if another league expands

CL82

Reaction Score
Logic and reason.

What benefit is there to ESPN?
When someone answers a question by asking a question, they are typically hiding something.

So the translation is you have nothing to support your position. I thought as much.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
When someone answers a question by asking a question, they are typically hiding something.

So the translation is you have nothing to support your position. I thought as much.

You don't have an answer, do you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01