ACC approves Grant of Rights | The Boneyard

ACC approves Grant of Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is either really good, or really bad.

If anyone can explain how this is in anyway really good I would love to hear it. Hopefully I am looking at this way to negatively, but the way I see it this eliminates expansion for all but maybe the Big 12 who I doubt it going to invite UConn.

Unless there is some insane way the Mizzou would leave the SEC for the B1G and UConn is #16 I do not see the B1G expanding due to all of the perceived tagets now locked into their respective conferences through GORs.

Reaction Score
That's a kick in the nuts. How did we end up in this situation???

Reaction Score
My first reaction was along the lines of "PISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!" I'd much rather go to the B1G, but let's be realistic, our best chances were having the B1G raid the ACC, thus getting us in there. Now what's our only real option? Hoping the B1G takes a flyer on us. Ugh. Not good.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
There is only one piece of hope I'm clinging to. Uconn $. $ has now preceded two major realignment announcements. What did $ know ahead of this? Does this mean the B1g executes plan B? Does it mean two hop ship from the ACC before the padlock is closed? This means something for us, most of the scenarios are dire, but what about UC$?

Reaction Score
This is either really good, or really bad.

Well, it's not the first one.

Reports say it was unanimous (which it needs to be). Means that FSU, UNC, UVA and Clemson are on board.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
UCONN and KU, the B12 would let them go.

Still say GoR isn't all it's promised to be.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Well, it's not the first one.

Reports say it was unanimous (which it needs to be). Means that FSU, UNC, UVA and Clemson are on board.

Just put it in the context of the B1G, most of us believed that was not an option because of better choices on the table. Many of those choices just went up in smoke for the B1G. How bad do they want markets (we know this is their number 1 criteria (rutgers)? How important is it they continue to expand? BTN leadership has said they don't believe the B1g ever plays a game without adding two more teams into the fold. Was that presupposed only with ACC subsidies?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
We send a super secret email to the ACC saying that the B1G is ready to offer UConn an invite. We send a super secret email to the B1G saying that the ACC is ready to offer UConn an invite.

Reaction Score
One positive...not that BC ever had a prayer for the Big Ten, but this eliminates them from the BiG. As well as Syracuse and Pitt, both of whom were seriously flawed (syracuse market and academics, Pitt overlapping markets).

Only one northeast team left. Only one northeast team left. Paging walmart shoppers...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Dang it! Here we go again. F5.... F5...F5...
nervous.jpg

Reaction Score
http://www.theacc.com/genrel/042213aaa.html

April 22, 2013
Greensboro, N.C. - The Atlantic Coast Conference Council of Presidents announced today that each of the current and future 15-member institutions has signed a grant of media rights, effective immediately. "This announcement further highlights the continued solidarity and commitment by our member institutions," said ACC Commissioner John Swofford. "The Council of Presidents has shown tremendous leadership in insuring the ACC is extremely well positioned with unlimited potential."

"The ACC has long been a leader in intercollegiate athletics, both academically and athletically," said the collective ACC Council of Presidents. "Collectively, we all agree the grant of rights further positions the ACC and its current and future member schools as one of the nation's premier conferences."

The ACC's current and future 15-member institutions include:

Boston College
Clemson University
Duke University
Florida State University
Georgia Institute of Technology
University of Louisville
University of Miami
University of North Carolina
North Carolina State University
University of Notre Dame
University of Pittsburgh
Syracuse University
University of Virginia
Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University
Wake Forest University

About the Atlantic Coast Conference:
The Atlantic Coast Conference, now in its 60th year of competition, has long enjoyed the reputation as one of the strongest and most competitive intercollegiate conferences in the nation. Since the league’s inception in 1953, ACC schools have captured 127 national championships, including 67 in women’s competition and 60 in men’s. In addition, NCAA individual titles have gone to ACC student-athletes 146 times in men’s competition and 102 times in women’s action. For more information, visit theACC.com.

Reaction Score
I go away and come back to this!!! Well, this board was fun to follow, but now looks like realignment is done for the foreseeable future (just being realistic, there is no credbile evidence the BiG feels it actually needs to expand further)

Reaction Score
http://www.theacc.com/genrel/042213aaa.html

April 22, 2013
Greensboro, N.C. - The Atlantic Coast Conference Council of Presidents announced today that each of the current and future 15-member institutions has signed a grant of media rights, effective immediately. "This announcement further highlights the continued solidarity and commitment by our member institutions," said ACC Commissioner John Swofford. "The Council of Presidents has shown tremendous leadership in insuring the ACC is extremely well positioned with unlimited potential."

"The ACC has long been a leader in intercollegiate athletics, both academically and athletically," said the collective ACC Council of Presidents. "Collectively, we all agree the grant of rights further positions the ACC and its current and future member schools as one of the nation's premier conferences."

The ACC's current and future 15-member institutions include:

Boston College
Clemson University
Duke University
Florida State University
Georgia Institute of Technology
University of Louisville
University of Miami
University of North Carolina
North Carolina State University
University of Notre Dame
University of Pittsburgh
Syracuse University
University of Virginia
Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University
Wake Forest University

About the Atlantic Coast Conference:
The Atlantic Coast Conference, now in its 60th year of competition, has long enjoyed the reputation as one of the strongest and most competitive intercollegiate conferences in the nation. Since the league’s inception in 1953, ACC schools have captured 127 national championships, including 67 in women’s competition and 60 in men’s. In addition, NCAA individual titles have gone to ACC student-athletes 146 times in men’s competition and 102 times in women’s action. For more information, visit theACC.com.

And destroyer of worlds.....

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Devil is in the details. Grant to whom, the conference? Any conditions?

Does this really tell us that the $50M penalty clause is ineffective?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
UCONN and KU, the B12 would let them go.

Still say GoR isn't all it's promised to be.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

My dream scenario. Big 12 would not let them go. They are desperate for two more teams as it is. KU is probably the 2nd best known national brand they have after Texas.

The B1G will likely pause. Only real option now is UConn and Mizzou.
Meanwhile the Big 12 now knows there will be no leftovers. That means either they come to UConn and/or Cinci or they head west for Nevada, BYU, New Mexico...

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Maybe now people will finally get it- the ACC never, ever wants UConn. Period.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Eh.

Say what you want but the whole realignment mess has shown that contracts ain't worth the paper their written on.

All this says to me is that the ACC is united as of today and for today only. Who knows what tomorrow brings.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
If the ACC is smart, they'd just take UConn. That would get them to 16 for all sports except FB with whom they have a scheduling tie-in anyways. The ACC has to know that BC does nothing in New England and that with Rutgers in the B1G, they stand a chance of losing shares in NYC. Look at a map: ACC has a semi circle around NYC with BC, Cuse and Pitt. Take the bullseye, ACC, take UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom