ACC approves Grant of Rights | Page 4 | The Boneyard

ACC approves Grant of Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In all of this "let's be boise" talk, has anyone actually looked at what conference they are in or what bowl games they have gone to? what exactly has being boise gotten boise? boise is the poster child for inequity built into the oligopoly.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
In all of this "let's be boise" talk, has anyone actually looked at what conference they are in or what bowl games they have gone to? what exactly has being boise gotten boise? boise is the poster child for inequity built into the oligopoly.

6%!

Reaction Score
Didn't Boise beat OK in a major bowl? Doesn't the highest ranked non big 5 get a playoff spot? Thats my point.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You don't have an answer, do you?
Again, answering a question with a question. A sure mark of someone hiding something.

zls44

Reaction Score
Again, answering a question with a question. A sure mark of someone hiding something.

fry+uncg+meme.png

Reaction Score
Because Boise started before Uconn. It took them a decade+ to get to where they have respect year after year.
Boise State went FBS at around the same time as us, four years earlier. They had the fortune of having the Potatos Bowl in their backyard.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Boise State went FBS at around the same time as us, four years earlier. They had the fortune of having the Potatos Bowl in their backyard.

And a QB that didn't throw 2 pick sixes against OU in the Fiesta Bowl, nor a coach that bailed minutes after the final whistle.

The boneyard could be a dangerous place for the next couple hours.

For some reason this makes me angry though in reality nothing has changed. The B1G or SEC still gets any ACC team it wants.

Reaction Score
For some reason this makes me angry though in reality nothing has changed. The B1G or SEC still gets any ACC team it wants.

Sadly I think a lot has changed, even a school like UNC can't afford to give up TV money for 14 years!! The only legit need is in the Big 12 for two more teams and I don' think that's us (1. BYU 2. Cincy 3. UConn).

I try to stay positive but the sky just keeps falling around here!!!

Reaction Score
And a QB that didn't throw 2 pick sixes against OU in the Fiesta Bowl, nor a coach that bailed minutes after the final whistle.

The boneyard could be a dangerous place for the next couple hours.

No, they have had coaches that bailed before bowl games. Boise became who they are by winning big in a weak conference and being fun to watch OOC and in bowl games because they surprised their opponents. They played on TV any chance they could and the went the JUCO route to get the players to run a fun, run and gun O. Add in a fan base that does not bail on them, ever, and they keep themselves relevant for the past 5-6 years running.

Uconn can, and should, follow that model and sacrifice the grad rate because with the Uconn demographics, that would get a lot of interest from a lot of conferences beyond what they get now. Just look at the leverage Boise used over the past 24 months to get themselves a great deal out of a weak conference. This is not much difference than what BB did early on. Took a chance on some marginal students/great players and it turned into the first championship. Easier with BB but not impossible in FB.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Well, it's not the first one.

Reports say it was unanimous (which it needs to be). Means that FSU, UNC, UVA and Clemson are on board.
Last fall the ACC announced that their increase in departure fees (to triple one year's revenues) was unanimous. It appears that the ACC has a different definition of unanimous than the rest of the world.

zls44

Reaction Score
Give up ZLS. CL82 owns you in this argument. If BC didn't exist Uconn would be in the ACC. Period.

Why would the ACC listen to them? Or Gene? On anything?

It's physically impossible to get owned in an argument when the other side doesn't present any actual evidence.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Didn't Boise beat OK in a major bowl? Doesn't the highest ranked non big 5 get a playoff spot? Thats my point.

No they get a bowl slot. Not a playoff slot.

Reaction Score
It's physically impossible to get owned in an argument when the other side doesn't present any actual evidence.

Don't tell that to Nelson...

Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-acc-media-rights-0423-20130422,0,4675932.story

ACC's 'Grant Of Media Rights' Makes It Tougher On UConn:

>>... Attorney and sports business analyst Robert Boland, a professor at New York University's Tisch Center for Hospitality, Tourism and Sports Management, does not believe this grant-of-rights agreement spells the end of realignment. Boland said he believes the ACC — which will have 14 full members, plus Notre Dame in all sports but football — could expand to 16.

Boland, who has consulted for conferences in legal matters, speculates that other conferences could also look to expand to 16. The Big Ten, which is adding Maryland and Rutgers, will be at 14 and could be a future landing spot for UConn.

"It probably slows the game of musical chairs, at least within the ACC," Boland said. "I think if I'm UConn, I still think that I'm most interested structurally in that 16th slot in the ACC and I ultimately hope that that will be coming. I don't think this changes their hope for that. What I think this does actually is it narrows the field for schools that are outside the major conferences looking in. I think this will be a much more effective device in the short-run, rather than the idea of conference departure fees."<<

Reaction Score
It's not a theory - it's a statement of fact.

I doubt they specifically set out to do it, but that's the end result.

Either way, doesn't change the outcome.

I have some friends who work for ESPN and the general impression I've gotten from them is that while ESPN has had influence, they don't control conference realignment. Like most decisions between powerful entities, there are a few different vying interests all competing with each other. For instance, I don't know that ESPN is really in a position to tell the B1G or SEC what to do or who to take.

But I could be wrong, just my two cents.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
THIS!

Everyone keeps saying we should be Boise but honestly, where has that gotten them? Yeah, they have beaten some good teams along the way and had that great Fiesta Bowl win over Oklahoma which will forever be their legacy. However, they are in no better a position that we are. If they lose a game, they are out of the conversation for any major bowl. If they lose a game in conference, forget it. Would I like to win as much as Boise currently does? Yes. Is it going to get us into a new conference? No. Clearly there's a reason Boise isn't in the Big 12 and the same would apply to us.

Reaction Score
Give up ZLS. CL82 owns you in this argument. If BC didn't exist Uconn would be in the ACC. Period.

I repeat what I have posted several times over the years. If, at the urging of the former CT AG, the original law suit had not named university presidents, AD's and conference officials as individual defendants, we would be in the ACC this Fall. That move poisoned the well for more then just the individuals named. Rightly or wrongly UConn is given the credit/blame for that particular move.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I have some friends who work for ESPN and the general impression I've gotten from them is that while ESPN has had influence, they don't control conference realignment. Like most decisions between powerful entities, there are a few different vying interests all competing with each other. For instance, I don't know that ESPN is really in a position to tell the B1G or SEC what to do or who to take.

But I could be wrong, just my two cents.

ESPN: We'll give you $20M/team, but we want UConn added. It gives us another 12 marquee BB games between legacy programs.
ACC: uhhhh.
ESPN: That's the deal.
ACC: OK.

The actual conversation would could be shorter than that. Just hand them the contract and say, "Sign."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why would the ACC listen to them? Or Gene? On anything?

You mean other than the statement of a witness with first hand knowledge? To sum up, BCU's AD admits that:
1) UConn was the primary ACC target along with Cuse until BCU blocked them because they were worried about competing with them on a level playing field; and
2) That ESPN instructed the ACC which teams to acquire.
3) These facts have been reported publically. I linked to the article.

You have presented no evidence to the contrary.

In the end, we have ESPN, who had taken Connecticut taxpayer funds while putting a plan in motion to destroy the Big East, costing Connecticut taxpayers millions of dollars of lost revenue. Now ESPN is renegotiating the ACC contact yet again. All they have to do is offer enough cash to increase the per team payout to the ACC if UConn gets a slot in the ACC and UConn sports are saved. Keep in mind they have done this for other teams and the money is miniscule when compared to their total annual earnings and keep in mind they've "told (the ACC)what to do" in the past. Today, ESPN can save UConn athletics. If they don't, everyone in this state should hold them accountable.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I repeat what I have posted several times over the years. If, at the urging of the former CT AG, the original law suit had not named university presidents, AD's and conference officials as individual defendants, we would be in the ACC this Fall. That move poisoned the well for more then just the individuals named. Rightly or wrongly UConn is given the credit/blame for that particular move.
I can't present any evidence to contradict that conclusion, it's mostly an argument about perception but it's possible some people at BC or in the ACC offices still harbor grudges... but my personal hunch is that whatever weight those grudges have would have been outweighed* if we had simply demonstrated our superiority to Louisville in FB and as an overall product. We didn't do that, and perhaps even if we had canned Hathaway we wouldn't have been able to make enough of a case to overcome a) geography b) national sentiment from ESPN and other media opinionmakers that UConn>>UL.

*hunch based on the prevailing belief that Swofford, or someone else in the ACC offices, supposedly had us higher up on their board before BCU cawkblocked us for Syracuse, and before Maryland left and we got cawkblocked by UL.

Reaction Score
Just for the sake of argument, how would you propose the state "hold accountable" a large company that provides lots of high paying jobs and gives the central part of the state an economic engine. Do you know what % of traffic thru Bradley is ESPN related? I have seen estimates of 18-20%.

Reaction Score
I can't present any evidence to contradict that conclusion, it's mostly an argument about perception but it's possible some people at BC or in the ACC offices still harbor grudges... but my personal hunch is that whatever weight those grudges have would have been outweighed* if we had simply demonstrated our superiority to Louisville in FB and as an overall product. We didn't do that, and perhaps even if we had canned Hathaway we wouldn't have been able to make enough of a case to overcome a) geography b) national sentiment from ESPN and other media opinionmakers that UConn>>UL.

*hunch based on the prevailing belief that Swofford, or someone else in the ACC offices, supposedly had us higher up on their board before BCU cawkblocked us for Syracuse, and before Maryland left and we got cawkblocked by UL.

I am reflecting the opinion of two persons connected with the SEC. One retired and the other currently at the Asst. Comm. level. Both have said that the naming of individuals got a lot of people not just in the ACC but in other conferences wondering. That move made it more than just business for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom