ACC approves Grant of Rights | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ACC approves Grant of Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I try to be optimistic but how are we expected to run our athletic program on this TV deal?? I lost track what bowls could we be eligible for in this conference ?

Reaction Score
Maybe now people will finally get it- the ACC never, ever wants UConn. Period.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but the ACC signing a GOR does not indicate that point at all.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I try to be optimistic but how are we expected to run our athletic program on this TV deal?? I lost track what bowls could we be eligible for in this conference ?

Welcome to hell and the poorhouse. Enjoy Tropicana Field for bowl games and meaningless money.

zls44

Reaction Score
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but the ACC signing a GOR does not indicate that point at all.

You're right- the fact that they passed over UConn six times indicates it.

Reaction Score
Why do we even bother playing the ACC in any sport? I think every move they have made since 2003, every decision, has been made to royally F us up the you know what. They choose NOW to do this? Gee I wonder why. We'd arguably finally benefit from the next set of movement. Notice this whole thing started in 2003 right when UConn was about to join in football. Move over Nelson and Conspiracy Kittie, I am now officially on board. Destroying UConn appears to be one of the objectives driving a lot of this. Maybe it started that way with a couple schools (BC/Syracuse) worried about us going D1. Than the lawsuit in 2003 added to the animosity from the rest of the ACC's perspective. Sorry too many IED's have been placed in our way for it not to be personal.

If my school is going to be stuck in conference hell, I don't want to lose to BC or Syracuse or any school from North Carolina anymore in any sport be it soccer or basketball or football or anything after what that league has done to our school.

Reaction Score
Who says that a GOR is going to be enforceable anyway? The ACC is trying to win a public relations battle. The GOR makes everybody feel good until it's challenged, like anything else. Don't see how this changes much of anything.

Reaction Score
Who says that a GOR is going to be enforceable anyway? The ACC is trying to win a public relations battle. The GOR makes everybody feel good until it's challenged, like anything else. Don't see how this changes much of anything.

All the supposedly smart people on twitter say this means that they are locked in.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You're right- the fact that they passed over UConn six times indicates it.
As detailed ad nauseum on this board, UConn was a prinicipal target at least twice with ACC, on both occasions BCU was able to build a coalition against them. How do we know this? Because the BCU athletic director told us about the first time this happened. This was the same article in which he expressly acknowleged that ESPN "told (the ACC) which schools to take."

So if you want to angry at anyone, it should be ESPN (you know... the company that signs your paycheck) for deliberately destroying the Big East, a collateral consequence of which is that UConn athletics are in a very precarious position. This happened while ESPN was taking state money to support it's opperations. So while ESPN was being supported taxpayer dollars, it was putting in play the events that will cost this state millions of dollars in revenue. Any Connecticut official, who allows more taxpayer money to go to ESPN should be run out of office.

zls44

Reaction Score
So if you want to angry at anyone, it should be ESPN (you know... the company that signs your paycheck) for deliberately destroying the Big East, a collateral consequence of which is that UConn athletics are in a very precarious position. This happened while ESPN was taking state money to support it's opperations. So while ESPN was being supported taxpayer dollars, it was putting in play the events that will cost this state millions of dollars in revenue. Any Connecticut official, who allows more taxpayer money to go to ESPN should be run out of office.

Repeating a falsehood ad-naseum does not make it true.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The fact is that ESPN did underwrite the destruction of UConn athletics.

That was the end result - it is indisputable.

Reaction Score
At least we'll still be able to compete for national titles in basketball. There's nothing stopping us from doing so.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There was a visionary poster who proposed shutting the football program down 2 months ago. Doesn't seem like such a bad idea now.

This news certainly helps explain the morbid atmosphere and corner cutting at the spring game.

zls44

Reaction Score
At least we'll still be able to compete for national titles in basketball. There's nothing stopping us from doing so.

Bring on the gaudy W-L records!

Reaction Score
The fact is that ESPN did underwrite the destruction of UConn athletics.

That was the end result - it is indisputable.
Thought you didn't believe in conspiracy theories?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Repeating a falsehood ad-naseum does not make it true.
Then why do you continue to do it?

Quote 1 (from Boston Globe article):

The ACC just signed a new deal with ESPN that will increase the revenue for each school to approximately $13 million. With the addition of Pittsburgh and Syracuse, said DeFilippo, another significant increase will come.
“We always keep our television partners close to us,’’ he said. “You don’t get extra money for basketball. It’s 85 percent football money. TV - ESPN - is the one who told us what to do"

Quote 2 (from same article):
Under coach Jim Boeheim, Syracuse was clearly one of the elite basketball teams in the country and would boost the ACC’s stature in that sport.
The second target was Connecticut, which was part of the Northeast footprint the ACC wanted, and was coming off the daily double of a BCS bid in football and a championship in men’s basketball (the third for Jim Calhoun). In addition, the women’s basketball program under Geno Auriemma had established itself as the most dominant in the sport over the past 15 years.

With growing instability in the Big East, both schools were bound to accept any offers.
While Syracuse presented no problem, UConn did - to BC, which was still fuming over what it perceived to be vitriolic comments made when BC was finally invited to join the ACC and started competing in 2005. UConn and Pittsburgh filed a lawsuit against BC, and Calhoun made comments about never playing BC again.
DeFilippo does not deny that BC opposed the inclusion of UConn.
“We didn’t want them in,’’ he said. “It was a matter of turf. We wanted to be the New England team.’’

LINKY

Now do you have source for your assertion that UConn wasn't a target? I thought not.

For the rest of us remember this article and make sure that this rogue company that has completely gutted college sports regional rivalries never, NEVER, sees a dime of Connecticut taxpayer money again.

zls44

Reaction Score
Then why do you continue to do it?

Quote 1 (from Boston Globe article):

(Empahsis added)

Quote 2 (from same article):
(Empahsis added)

LINKY

Now do you have source for your assertion that UConn wasn't a target? I thought not.

For the rest of us -remember this article and make sure that this rogue company that has completely gutted college sports regional rivalries never, NEVER, see a dime of Connecticut taxpayer money again.

Your source is Gene DeFillipo.

The defense rests.

What?

Playing in the AAC= 30-5 yearly BB records.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's not a theory - it's a statement of fact.

I doubt they specifically set out to do it, but that's the end result.

Either way, doesn't change the outcome.

Reaction Score
Playing in the AAC= 30-5 yearly BB records.
...Except that we're UConn. We don't just put up great regular season records and flop in the tournament. We win national titles.

Reaction Score
This does a few things. 1. It assures the top ACC football schools will remain 2nd tier nationally for the duration of this agreement. 2. For similar reasons, but evening more jarring, this pushes UConn into oblivion. With the media rights agreed to with the AAC, UConn will find itself unable to afford to wait this out. With each passing year, our football program will become less competitive and the athletic departments balance sheet will become more red.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
There was a visionary poster who proposed shutting the football program down 2 months ago. Doesn't seem like such a bad idea now.

This news certainly helps explain the morbid atmosphere and corner cutting at the spring game.

This premise is so mind numbingly stupid.

What if in two years, Fox says, you know we would love the chance for a Texas Oklahoma BigXII.title game. We have to add two schools, whether or not we would be selected is anyone's.guys. If we drop football, it won't even be an option.

zls44

Reaction Score
...Except that we're UConn. We don't just put up great regular season records and flop in the tournament. We win national titles.

Who said anything about flopping in the NCAAs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom