A NEW JONATHAN | Page 4 | The Boneyard

A NEW JONATHAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I'm sure we will all warm up to him when he comes out with the red outline ;)

Reaction Score
The all white husky will be back eventually. The uniqueness of it will revive it. I don't like this change, as I like the all white dog better in every form (logo, suit, actual mascot). I think my biggest disappointment is just that I like the new logo, I just prefer it in white versions. I also hate to flush the suit's national recognition down the toilet. It will be years before people can identify it with us. What is the point of that?
There is no reason other thn to line Nike's pockets and/or the stupidity of those who made the decision.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
1 - I am hoping for the day to arrive where our biggest concern is the coloring of our official mascot.

2 - If this was done to line Nike's pockets won't our pockets also get lined in the process?

3 - I spent quite a bit of time travelling for business in the 1990's where I had to explain to people that our Husky mascot was not really a Samoyed. The only reason I did not need to do this in the 1980's was that few people outside of the northeast had any clue as to what UConn's mascot was. I see all of this as progress.

4 - As far as traditional rivals. When we joined the Big East we flushed our traditional rivals (at least as far as men's hoops was concerned) down the toilet. I don't know of anyone complaining about that move today (although there were quite a few during the Perno years who openly stated we were in over our heads in the BE and should drop down to again play UNH, URI and UMass regularly). Outside of what amounts to slightly less than 30% of our men's hoops history (our time in the BE) we really don't have traditional rivals who we should be playing regularly (I could argue Cuse in football in hoops although they don't want to).

5 - We really should wait until a good portion of our fan base understands what our school colors really are before we complain that gray and red do not belong. Looking at the stands in any football or basketball game you would swear that our official color is a rainbow.

Reaction Score
FfldCntyFan said:
1 - I am hoping for the day to arrive where our biggest concern is the coloring of our official mascot. 2 - If this was done to line Nike's pockets won't our pockets also get lined in the process? 3 - I spent quite a bit of time travelling for business in the 1990's where I had to explain to people that our Husky mascot was not really a Samoyed. The only reason I did not need to do this in the 1980's was that few people outside of the northeast had any clue as to what UConn's mascot was. I see all of this as progress. 4 - As far as traditional rivals. When we joined the Big East we flushed our traditional rivals (at least as far as men's hoops was concerned) down the toilet. I don't know of anyone complaining about that move today (although there were quite a few during the Perno years who openly stated we were in over our heads in the BE and should drop down to again play UNH, URI and UMass regularly). Outside of what amounts to slightly less than 30% of our men's hoops history (our time in the BE) we really don't have traditional rivals who we should be playing regularly (I could argue Cuse in football in hoops although they don't want to). 5 - We really should wait until a good portion of our fan base understands what our school colors really are before we complain that gray and red do not belong. Looking at the stands in any football or basketball game you would swear that our official color is a rainbow.

You are spot on, which is why updating the logo is fine. Just keep it white. Nike still lines their pockets, we stick with the traditional colors, the mascot suit stays recognizable and we continue to be different than all the other huskies out there because we are all white. Again, the logo change was fine, scrap the Samoyed, but stay all white.

Of course this is minor in the middle of CR and other issues, but it is also senseless. Just when our power is weakening and our place in athletics is uncertain we scrap the husky suit. It is known coast to coast as UConn's Husky, a symbol of outrageous success in March Madness, the greatest show on earth.

Again, minor I guess, but stupid. Now isn't the time to break more traditions, we're already playing Houston and Tulane, let us keep our mascot for Pete's sake.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Blows my mind how bent out of shape some people are about this.
That alone is the number one reason those morons shouldn't have made a change. Leave the damn Husky alone and get us in a power conference. That is what they really are getting paid for!

Reaction Score
The all white husky will be back eventually. The uniqueness of it will revive it. I don't like this change, as I like the all white dog better in every form (logo, suit, actual mascot). I think my biggest disappointment is just that I like the new logo, I just prefer it in white versions. I also hate to flush the suit's national recognition down the toilet. It will be years before people can identify it with us. What is the point of that?
The white Husky has been part of UConn's identity. Throwing it away as Warde has done is like some new CEO deciding that Nike ought to go with 4 stripes rather than its traditional swoosh. Won't be able to distinguish it from Adidas, but so what? Its new. So it must be better...And J187Money, I've laid out many times why I think Warde is a terrible AD. I'd prefer an AD who is competent and also understands that there is value in maintaining tradition. In Warde's view, anything pre-Warde is irrelevant.

Reaction Score
If all you grouches are going to rise up against the new Jonathan and overthrow his reign, I will happily adopt.

What a beautiful dog!

Reaction Score
The first pair of UCONN hoops shorts that I bought in the early 90s were red, white and national flag blue. This whole notion of red not being part of the school colors until last week is just not true.

Reaction Score
The white Husky has been part of UConn's identity. Throwing it away as Warde has done is like some new CEO deciding that Nike ought to go with 4 stripes rather than its traditional swoosh. Won't be able to distinguish it from Adidas, but so what? Its new. So it must be better...And J187Money, I've laid out many times why I think Warde is a terrible AD. I'd prefer an AD who is competent and also understands that there is value in maintaining tradition. In Warde's view, anything pre-Warde is irrelevant.

ForWarde!

Reaction Score
That alone is the number one reason those morons shouldn't have made a change. Leave the damn Husky alone and get us in a power conference. That is what they really are getting paid for!

Yes. The morons should not have made the change because the legally insane would create an uprising.

Reaction Score
I always thought the all white dog was more of a Samoyed than a Husky, in fact my oldest son, when he was a kid, was surprised at a young age, when we went into one of the dog stores in the mall once, when my wife was clothes shopping, and he saw an all white dog with blue eyes, and it didn't say Husky on the tag - and said Samoyed. I remember him asking me why it didn't say Husky. Funny - how the hell does that remain circuited in my brain? Isn't there something more useful that could have been stored in that area of my brain..than that memory? I guess it was stored for this moment right now....whatever.

The dog is a Husky, without a doubt, and it's damn cute and it's our mascot. I like it.

But WTF do I know.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
For anyone that is wondering here are the different coloring possibilities for Siberian Huskies : http://www.huskycolors.com/rescue.html

I am not trying to argue either way on this issue, but I have seen too many people claim that huskies can't be all-white or that only Samoyeds are. That is just not true. The other thing I've seen people say is that the new dog looks more like a husky, when in reality there are many different color/pattern variations.

The AKC Breed Standard allows any color for the Siberian Husky. No coat/eye pattern or color is to be seen as a fault OR as the desired appearance.

The new dog is no less a Siberian Husky than the old all-white dog and vice versa. Both are Siberian Huskies.

Reaction Score
I just ran into a guy that told me that PP and GDL got a bum rap and that Diaco is an arrogant . He is an ex college football player and OL coach.

So everyone has an opinion.

Reaction Score
For anyone that is wondering here are the different coloring possibilities for Siberian Huskies : http://www.huskycolors.com/colors.html

I am not trying to argue either way on this issue, but I have seen too many people claim that huskies can't be all-white or that only Samoyeds are. That is just not true.

I didn't write that Husky's can't be all white, and I don't think I've seen anyone else write it either, but I may have missed it. An all white Husky, especially if for some reason in breeding it's got longer hair and a shorter snout, is going to look exactly like a Samoyed. That's just reality.

There is no mistaking out little puppy XIV as a solid, husky.

This entire nonsensical thread, is just another example that people will find anything to argue about. Tradition regarding the mascot? How about the fact that we actually have a dog that is now 14th generation. I think that's pretty cool.

Jonathan XIII wasn't good with crowds, I do remember only seeing him, when the stadium was empty pregames, yes - I actually wander into the stadium on occasion BEFORE kickoff.......we need a doggie that is good with crowds, and I think it's a good thing, that they're conditioning him already to be in front of cameras and stuff like that, and I think it's even better, that when you look at him, he's a husky, without a doubt.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I didn't write that Husky's can't be all white, and I don't think I've seen anyone else write it either, but I may have missed it. An all white Husky, especially if for some reason in breeding it's got longer hair and a shorter snout, is going to look exactly like a Samoyed. That's just reality.

There is no mistaking out little puppy XIV as a solid, husky.

This entire nonsensical thread, is just another example that people will find anything to argue about. Tradition regarding the mascot? How about the fact that we actually have a dog that is now 14th generation. I think that's pretty cool.

Jonathan XIII wasn't good with crowds, I do remember only seeing him, when the stadium was empty pregames, yes - I actually wander into the stadium on occasion BEFORE kickoff..we need a doggie that is good with crowds, and I think it's a good thing, that they're conditioning him already to be in front of cameras and stuff like that, and I think it's even better, that when you look at him, he's a husky, without a doubt.

I wasnt responding to your post specifically. I have just seen a lot of people saying stuff like this on the boneyard and twitter. Also Jonathan XIII was fine w/ crowds. Saw him at FB and BB games all the time. They were saying that after a couple years the dogs get tired of this and deserve some years in "retirement".

The previous husky - Jonathan XII was terrible in front of crowds. They couldn't bring that one to any sporting events and thats one of the reason he was retired after only a couple more years and they went for a more outgoing dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom