A NEW JONATHAN | The Boneyard

A NEW JONATHAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

BfHlgUXCIAAXT1c.jpg

http://www.dailycampus.com/news/jonathan-xiv-new-dog-in-town-1.3133902#.UuiIt_ko7ct

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The mascot committee, comprised of 10 students, gave their Arkansas breeder Husky Harbour full discretion in choosing which furry friend would become UConn’s next mascot. Bologna said the dog’s coat coloring was not a factor; the only requirement was that the dog have a good temperament.

“We thought that changing the color may be seen as controversial,” said Bologna.

“So after we spoke to the breeder and decided on a particular litter, we decided whichever puppy had the best temperament, according to the breeder, would be UConn’s new mascot.”

Reaction Score
The mascot committee, comprised of 10 students, gave their Arkansas breeder Husky Harbour full discretion in choosing which furry friend would become UConn’s next mascot. Bologna said the dog’s coat coloring was not a factor; the only requirement was that the dog have a good temperament.

“We thought that changing the color may be seen as controversial,” said Bologna.

“So after we spoke to the breeder and decided on a particular litter, we decided whichever puppy had the best temperament, according to the breeder, would be UConn’s new mascot.”
This is a line of bs, they had no intent of picking a white husky. They are just ramming this down our throats.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is a line of bs, they had no intent of picking a white husky. They are just ramming this down our throats.
I agree that it seems an odd coincidence, with a cumbersome narrative.

ZLS Wasn't pretty much every Jonathan post 1935 a white husky?

02husky.jpg
1935-1947: A cousin of Jonathan I, the second Jonathan was an Eskimo Husky, and started the tradition of an all-white dog as mascot. He debuted November 8, 1935 at rally prior to the annual football rivalry against Rhode Island. In September of 1936, Jonathan II chased Brown's bear mascot up a tree, and it took Providence police and fire fighters to retrieve the animal.
LINK
Not worth getting your knickers in a bunch over though.

Last edited:

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I read that, I believe, three previous Jonathans have been non-all-white Huskies. In this case, they were going to go with whatever one of the litter had the best temperment.

Considering the recent history with the Jonathan previous to this retiring one, which was not good around crowds at ALL, I can totally understand their concern. Best scenerio for all involved.

Reaction Score
They changed the logo from the all white Jonathon Husky everyone identified as being UConn and now just as a coincidence the new mascot has similar coloring and the excuse, err....reasoning is temperment? Hmm....

Reaction Score
During the early 70's, the live mascot was a silver grey & white husky. When he was retired a white husky replaced him. As a kid, I never gave the color of the mascot much thought. For marketing purpose, consistency is a key. If we've changed the color of the logo, the live mascot should probably mimic the logo. My question is whether the A.D. is also planning to change the suit color of the Jonathan from the cheer squad. The current suit is iconic.
Why is a 7 year old dog being replaced (49 in dog years)? Can it's temperament really be changing that drastically? I find it hard to believe.

Reaction Score
coachcap said:
During the early 70's, the live mascot was a silver grey & white husky. When he was retired a white husky replaced him. As a kid, I never gave the color of the mascot much thought. For marketing purpose, consistency is a key. If we've changed the color of the logo, the live mascot should probably mimic the logo. My question is whether the A.D. is also planning to change the suit color of the Jonathan from the cheer squad. The current suit is iconic. Why is a 7 year old dog being replaced (49 in dog years)? Can it's temperament really be changing that drastically? I find it hard to believe.

Changing the suit would be sad. There is a lot of brand equity built up there. Due to all the basketball tournament success, the white husky suit is recognizable by everyone. My kids would yell "Daddy, UConn!" Whenever they saw a white husky on TV. Half the time it wasn't even him.

My wife and kids love the all white dog, it is special to them. I can deal with the change just fine but the "casual fan" likes the white dog. The all white Jonathan is more approachable, especially to kids.

The new dog is very handsome. I just don't see any reason to change the suit. It sure seems like that is next though.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I remember reading a ridiculously long diatribe many years ago that claimed Husky as our mascot actually predated UConn as an abreviated name for our school and that a the homonym Yukon, where a husly would be a very appropriate mascot was purely coincidental.

The rebranding has occurred and the reality is that our dog, every version of him will look like what most of the world expects a husky to look like, not something that has people claiming it is a samoyed.

Reaction Score
I remember reading a ridiculously long diatribe many years ago that claimed Husky as our mascot actually predated UConn as an abreviated name for our school and that a the homonym Yukon, where a husly would be a very appropriate mascot was purely coincidental.

The rebranding has occurred and the reality is that our dog, every version of him will look like what most of the world expects a husky to look like, not something that has people claiming it is a samoyed.
The Husky was picked by a student vote in 1933 when UConn was known as Connecticut State College (or CSC). So yes the UConn (Yukon) name working well with Husky is coincidence.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The Husky was picked by a student vote in 1933 when UConn was known as Connecticut State College (or CSC). So yes the UConn (Yukon) name working well with Husky is coincidence.

That's the story I've heard for years. I highly doubt that there wasn't at a minimum some anticipation of "University of Connecticut" which would logically be shortened to "UConn" in the very near future. I also don't doubt that if it was solely a student vote (I don't know if anyone here can truly verify the authenticity as anyone around at that time who was part of it would be either near or past their 100th birthday) there would have had to been some influencing factors (such as handing out ballots with pre-selected choices, leaving the Husky as the most favorable selection).

There are some occasions where I would believe in a coincidence. This, similar to the selection now of a new, not all white Jonathan, is not merely coincidental, regardless of what the official statement may claim.

Reaction Score
Great spin by UConn on this. Almost like they got the advise from the higher ups in Washington DC. They get the marked Husky mascot they always intended to select and countered some of the "the new husky is too aggressive" BS by saying the breeder was told to select the dog with the best temperament regardless of color.

Reaction Score
Great spin by UConn on this. Almost like they got the advise from the higher ups in Washington DC. They get the marked Husky mascot they always intended to select and countered some of the "the new husky is too aggressive" BS by saying the breeder was told to select the dog with the best temperament regardless of color.
Affirmative Action for dogs??

Reaction Score
Where's the medical MJ article?!? That's more important!

Reaction Score
I agree that it seems an odd coincidence, with a cumbersome narrative.

ZLS Wasn't pretty much every Jonathan post 1935 a white husky?

02husky.jpg

LINK
Not worth getting your knickers in a bunch over though.
Not pretty much, Every Husky since Jonathan II has been white. Just another example of a bunch of folks who neither know nor care about the university and its traditions. No doubt Warde and his Nike overlords are rewriting the Fight Song and the Alma Mater to better reflect their marketing genius. Are you allowed to write s here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom