A NEW JONATHAN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A NEW JONATHAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It wouldn't be the boneyard if someone didn't ask why we couldn't have used a CT breeder? :)

Although I like the fact that we poached him from SEC territory!

Reaction Score
Question: Why use a breeder south of the Mason-Dixon? Aren't there any quality breeders of Siberian Huskies in state or closer to home? Did the selection committee do any fact checking with the AKC or the organizers of the Governor's Foot Guard Dog Show?:confused:

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Not pretty much, Every Husky since Jonathan II has been white. Just another example of a bunch of folks who neither know nor care about the university and its traditions. No doubt Warde and his Nike overlords are rewriting the Fight Song and the Alma Mater to better reflect their marketing genius. Are you allowed to write s here?
We started with a colored husky. We now have a colored husky. But glad you are the arbiter that white is the only one acceptable. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Great spin by UConn on this. Almost like they got the advise from the higher ups in Washington DC. They get the marked Husky mascot they always intended to select and countered some of the "the new husky is too aggressive" BS by saying the breeder was told to select the dog with the best temperament regardless of color.

You do realize that this is NOT the first Jonathan to be retired of this???

"Jonathan V was retired early because he cowered in the presence of large crowds - a distinct liability at football games and other such events. And as the search for a replacement was underway, the first costumed-mascot appeared in 1964."

"Jonathan XII made his debut in 2001. He continued the UConn tradition of being an majestically brilliant all white husky that was cared for by Alpha Phi Omega. Jonathan XII was unable to deal with large crowds, and seemed stressed with being surrounded by large crowds.[6] This became an issue because of UConn growing athletic prowess at the time. During Jonathan XII's tenure, UConn football became a Division I-A football team that played at a 40,000 seat stadium. UConn men's basketball won a National Championship, and UConn Women's basketball won 3 National Championships. All of the heightened interest caused Jonathan XII distress, so he was retired."

but no it's all some high level conspiracy to ruin our tradition...

Reaction Score
Warde just announced that Nike has written new words to the Fight Song to reflect the impressive changes he brought to UConn Athletics. Changes are minor.
U Conn Husky, symbol of might to the foe.
Fight, fight Connecticut UConn, it's victr'y, Let's go
ConnecticutUConn U Conn Husky, victr'y again for the White and Blue and Red and Grey and whatever other Color we decide to use from time to time
So go, go, go Connecticut, UConn, UConnConnecticut U. Hi!
C-O-N-N-E-C-T-I C-U-T U-C-O-N-N. Connecticut UConn,UConn UConn
ConnecticutUConn Husky,
ConnecticutUConn Husky, ConnecticutUConn U C-O-N-N-U. Hi! (repeat)

They are also working on a rewrite to the Alma Mater. They are having a problem with the name, "Old Connecticut." Susan prefers "New UConn" but Nike wants "Nike UConn" They agree that the final line will be changed from "our fairest White and Blue" to "our fairest White, Blue, Red, Grey, Silver, Black, and maybe some Mauve and Puce if we think it looks kewell."

Reaction Score
"Jonathan V was retired early because he cowered in the presence of large crowds - a distinct liability at football games and other such events. And as the search for a replacement was underway, the first costumed-mascot appeared in 1964."

"Jonathan XII made his debut in 2001. He continued the UConn tradition of being an majestically brilliant all white husky that was cared for by Alpha Phi Omega. Jonathan XII was unable to deal with large crowds, and seemed stressed with being surrounded by large crowds.[6] This became an issue because of UConn growing athletic prowess at the time. During Jonathan XII's tenure, UConn football became a Division I-A football team that played at a 40,000 seat stadium. UConn men's basketball won a National Championship, and UConn Women's basketball won 3 National Championships. All of the heightened interest caused Jonathan XII distress, so he was retired."

but no it's all some high level conspiracy to ruin our tradition...[/quote]

You took that a bit more seriously than my tongue in cheek post was meant to be taken. Yes, I do realize that they retire the live mascots and they did not retire this one to simply get a new Jonathan that resembles the new mascot. But it is not coincidence that the dog with the "best temperament" just so happens to look just like the new logo. I am not a Traditionalist fighting to retain the old Jonathan logo and could care less even if these students or breeder did not make the decision.

Reaction Score
Warde just announced that Nike has written new words to the Fight Song to reflect the impressive changes he brought to UConn Athletics. Changes are minor.
ConnecticutUConn U Conn Husky, victr'y again for the White and Blue and Red and Grey and whatever other Color we decide to use from time to time
ConnecticutUConn Husky,

They are also working on a rewrite to the Alma Mater. They are having a problem with the name, "Old Connecticut." Susan prefers "New UConn" but Nike wants "Nike UConn" They agree that the final line will be changed from "our fairest White and Blue" to "our fairest White, Blue, Red, Grey, Silver, Black, and maybe some Mauve and Puce if we think it looks kewell."

images

Attachments

• upload_2014-1-29_10-48-15.jpeg
    upload_2014-1-29_10-48-15.jpeg
    4.9 KB · Views: 22
Reaction Score
ConnecticutUConn Husky,

Not sure where you are getting your info, but you may be misinformed. I am told through a credible source that Manual and Susan left this decision up to the Music Committee which is a 4 student panel. They gave full discretion to the Interim Dept Head in the Music Department with the only request that the new words be easiest to sing. It has nothing to do with branding.

Reaction Score
I'm sure this new dog is a fine dog. But UConn has a tradition of having a while husky. Clearly Nike had no idea of that when they designed Donald. And Ward either didn't know or didn't care...my guess is both. The new design, like the new dog are just completely generic. Northeastern, Washington, Southern Maine, Northern Illinois, St Cloud State, Michigan Tech...ours was unique. Now its just one of many, though actually it is worse than most.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm a very sentimental sap who steeps himself in the traditions of the greatest university in the world. So naturally, I hate this move. I hate it because it goes against 70+ years of the history and brand recognition that we had built up. I also hate it because it was clearly done on purpose (the line about the dog's temperament is beyond ridiculous).

So if that makes me whiny, or "you people", or whatever, so be it. Most folks on the board know that I'm almost always uber-positive, sometimes to a fault. So I feel no remorse in taking this opportunity to be whiny...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Kids are somehow more attracted to the all white dog? Really? That's utter nonsense. Kids like dogs...nice dogs, and they will like this one just the same. He's a great looking pup and I'm sure he will serve well as our mascot. Change happens, get over it. I'm a traditionalist in most things and don't find this at all offensive to our traditions. If our colors switch to green and gold and our mascot becomes a Mallard, I'll definitely complain.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Some people will not care what the new husky looks like. Some people will.

Here is my proposal -

3 Husky Dog mascots. Jonathan, Homer, & Wilbur. The 1st costumed Husky was called Homer & Wilbur is of course for Wilbur Cross.

The 3 Huskies will be different color combinations. People who like the old and people that like the new can all be happy. No worry about the logo, costumed mascot, and live mascots not matching. Also could have more than 1 costumed mascots so the old one can be left as is.

The 3 huskies can be used to pull a sled that leads the football team onto the field.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Question: Why use a breeder south of the Mason-Dixon? Aren't there any quality breeders of Siberian Huskies in state or closer to home? Did the selection committee do any fact checking with the AKC or the organizers of the Governor's Foot Guard Dog Show?:confused:

From Arkansas?!?! Going by the kind of doofy face I hope it ain't an in-breed. :p

Reaction Score
I'm sure this new dog is a fine dog. But UConn has a tradition of having a while husky. Clearly Nike had no idea of that when they designed Donald. And Ward either didn't know or didn't care...my guess is both. The new design, like the new dog are just completely generic. Northeastern, Washington, Southern Maine, Northern Illinois, St Cloud State, Michigan Tech...ours was unique. Now its just one of many, though actually it is worse than most.
Or maybe the administration just feels the mascot and logo should match.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Darn Nike conspiracy making us watch adorable videos of a puppy. Don't they understand tradition?!

.....the new helmets suck!

I think I've figured out how to blend in with the people who are afraid of change on this board....

I think the conspiracy thing is a little far fetched, but I do agree with you on the helmets.

Reaction Score
Darn Nike conspiracy making us watch adorable videos of a puppy. Don't they understand tradition?!

.....the new helmets suck!

I think I've figured out how to blend in with the people who are afraid of change on this board....

That's BS or you are using sarcasm ;). I'm catching on to you.

That is one good looking puppy though. I'd say it is an improvement, just like this new helmet design would be

helmet2-jpg.4861

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom