Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I figured the sarcasm was thick enough to get across even on a message board

I guess mine wasn't thick enough either

793212dd183180af1ac64301025fd5e9.jpg

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I read that, I believe, three previous Jonathans have been non-all-white Huskies. In this case, they were going to go with whatever one of the litter had the best temperment.

Considering the recent history with the Jonathan previous to this retiring one, which was not good around crowds at ALL, I can totally understand their concern. Best scenerio for all involved.
Read part 2 it shows the full history, they were all white. Here's the most recent:
Jonathan011.jpg

and the one prior:
012husky.jpg

It's not a big issue for me, but you've got this distinct tradition going of an all white husky that had become recognizable to school. Why mess with that? Update it, like Penfield's husky but leave it all white. Now they are getting a visually different live mascot (which I believe they said would not be changed) and the next will be the costume. Generally it is a bad idea to throw away brand recognition. That said, the decision's been made, I can live with it. I just call BS when they say oh we just picked the calmest pup, just like always, oh and it just happened not to be white for the first time in 78 years just after the we changed the mascot. Just say this is the next step in our rebranding and leave it at that.

I'll leave it alone though.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Darn Nike conspiracy making us watch adorable videos of a puppy. Don't they understand tradition?!

.....the new helmets suck!

I think I've figured out how to blend in with the people who are afraid of change on this board....
Is it just name call and be a [word that rhymes with quick]? Just wondering.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
That's BS or you are using sarcasm ;). I'm catching on to you.

That is one good looking puppy though. I'd say it is an improvement, just like this new helmet design would be

helmet2-jpg.4861

I was wondering why they had so many shots of the dog from the nose up, instead of centering him on the screen. I figured they were concealing his bowel movements, but now I know it's to prepare us for the new helmets! Clever Nike!

Reaction Score
Is it just name call and be a [word that rhymes with quick]? Just wondering.
I didn't call anyone names, but you did. Just having a bit of fun with everyone, guess this is a real serious issue with you though. No joking, got it... I'll be super, duper serious from now on.

CL82

Reaction Score
I didn't call anyone names, but you did. Just having a bit of fun with everyone, guess this is a real serious issue with you though. No joking, got it... I'll be super, duper serious from now on.
Geez why so serious? I just asked a question. Obviously you take this board way too seriously. We are all just here to have some fun, right?

Reaction Score
It like suddenly changing the Duke Devil to red.

No one would do that because it sacred. But the Husky, do whatever you want, it's only UConn.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Erm, no, it's nothing like that, unless you think our name is the UConn White Huskies.

Reaction Score
I'm sure this new dog is a fine dog. But UConn has a tradition of having a while husky. Clearly Nike had no idea of that when they designed Donald. And Ward either didn't know or didn't care...my guess is both. The new design, like the new dog are just completely generic. Northeastern, Washington, Southern Maine, Northern Illinois, St Cloud State, Michigan Tech...ours was unique. Now its just one of many, though actually it is worse than most.
This was a decision made so Nike could sell more product. We've been pimped by our administrators. And I'm giving them credit there. If they actually thought it was a good idea, they aren't pimps, they're morons.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
I would be ok with the accent colors if they were 'national flag blue'.

Is there any hair dye for K9's? I have to believe there are pet owners who have done this &/or some other cosmetic surgery.

Reaction Score
Srqhusky said:
The new Jonathan is a beast and I like it. Go new Jonathan
Sure, but someone's not going to like Jonathan XV barked "" in the dog house.

Reaction Score
What's next?!?! Change our name from the UCONN All white Huskies?! Wait that has never been the mascot? Oh...

Reaction Score
The school colors were always blue & white. Not blue & grey or red, white and blue. The mascot was always pure white for most that "now" follow UConn sports. You have these out of staters(Herbst, Manuel) come in and what happens:
  • UConn is no longer affiliated with any of it's traditional rivals
  • after decades of being identified as having a pure white mascot it gets changed. I'm surprised they haven't tried changing the name from Jonathon to some gender neutral name. Hmmm... probably shouldn't have given them that.
  • the uniforms no longer are traditional national flag blue and white. Grey and red have been added. Grey? Why grey? I guess next will be black.
  • The school is no longer supposed to be identified as the University of Connecticut. Now it's UCONN. No "Connecticut" on the football jerseys, just UCONN.
  • crime is up.
  • jobs are scarce.
  • the roads are falling apart.
  • tuition is up.
  • gas prices have been through the roof since they showed up.
  • it's never been colder
  • food doesn't taste the same
  • football helmets are so awful people laugh at UConn now. No wonder the offensive line was so terrible last year.
I say run em out of town on a rail!!

Just kidding;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
CTMike said:
We started with a colored husky. We now have a colored husky. But glad you are the arbiter that white is the only one acceptable. :rolleyes:

He would be ok with it if someone other than Warde was the AD when it happened.

Reaction Score
UConnDan97 said:
I'm a very sentimental sap who steeps himself in the traditions of the greatest university in the world. So naturally, I hate this move. I hate it because it goes against 70+ years of the history and brand recognition that we had built up. I also hate it because it was clearly done on purpose (the line about the dog's temperament is beyond ridiculous). So if that makes me whiny, or "you people", or whatever, so be it. Most folks on the board know that I'm almost always uber-positive, sometimes to a fault. So I feel no remorse in taking this opportunity to be whiny...

Yet you want to go 13-0? Based on what tradition? Hehe

Reaction Score
I have so little connection to the actual dog that it doesn't matter to me. I don't think I've ever been within 50 feet of any version of him. But it is something else to argue about, so I guess that's a good thing.

Reaction Score
ConnHuskBask said:
I still liked the idea of keeping the all white husky, but that ship has sailed. I've gotten over it, but the all white husky was truly distinct to UConn.

The all white husky will be back eventually. The uniqueness of it will revive it. I don't like this change, as I like the all white dog better in every form (logo, suit, actual mascot). I think my biggest disappointment is just that I like the new logo, I just prefer it in white versions. I also hate to flush the suit's national recognition down the toilet. It will be years before people can identify it with us. What is the point of that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom