A message from Paige's father (merged thread) | The Boneyard

A message from Paige's father (merged thread)

Reaction Score
EE47B471-BEEB-405E-88D7-0404917C99E5.jpeg

You’re right Bob Bueckers! It is so easy to get caught up in pointing fingers. Let’s regroup and get ready for the next game.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This terrible storm of injuries has put a huge challenge on the shoulders of our kids. It is no time to turn away from them and anyone who does will regret it for a long long time. We ask our team to rise to a great task. We should ask the same of ourselves.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Bob Bueckers timely social media post should come as a reminder to all of us that players and their friends and family members are acutely aware of criticism in print, TV and social media platforms, even including the BY. I urge everyone here on the BY to consider what you write as if you were writing about your own child before posting. If it's not something you would be comfortable posting about your own child, in the words of Herm Edwards, "Don't hit send."

Reaction Score
People need to take a chill pill and relax. Geno and cd have forgotten more basketball than most of you know. We’re arguably playing our 4th, 5th and 6th guards major minutes against good teams and results are basically as expected. And as someone else said you don’t know the effects of Covid that any of these young ladies came down with. Don’t jump immediately to they spent the off-season eating ice cream and chilling at the beach. Most of these girls have higher aspirations playing ball and you don’t come to UConn to CHILL OUT. So let’s all relax for a moment and enjoy what the team is doing. A lot of kids are getting good experience against good competition and by the time the tourney rolls around we’ll have Paige, azzi and center back. And as for getting a lower seed due to our record as a result of all these injuries I don’t think geno or cd are worried. The teams that are praying the UConn girls aren’t in their bracket are the ones that are worrying.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Thinking back, we've had some unlucky seasons - losing Shea, losing Shea & Sveta, on and on. However over the last few years, and yes, IMHO this goes back a year or so, we've seen these kids endure an immense amount of upheaval in every part of their lives. The routine of school, practices, games, off season activities completely changed in March 2020 - almost 2 years ago. Think about it - the 2020 season was abruptly canceled after the AAC tournament. Last year, the games were played in empty arenas. This year? The seemingly infinite loop of covid protocols and postponed games shows that there are no guarantees from week to week.

They've been vaxed, and as we've seen over the last few weeks, there's no guarantee that there won't be a breakthrough case, which upends the routines on which they depend. There have been a few transfers. And additionally, we've been smitten with an unbelievable rash of injuries and concerns - Piath, Aubrey, Azzi, Nika, Paige. Just as the team gained confidence and figured out how to play together and win after losing Paige, they are dealt an unexpected blow of CW entering in protocol. That left the coaches and team to figure out how to fill the significant gap of 36.1 mpg and 14.6 ppg in one day, just as the opponent had players returning from injury. A juxtaposition of situations.

So what's my point? As fans, we've been incredibly lucky for years, and now we're experiencing a tsunami of unfortunate occurrences. Just imagine being one of the players, or coaches trying to hold all of this together. And then add on the pressure of playing for a premier program. Every day, they are reminded of the historical success and expectations when they walk into Werth. Unless one has experienced anything like this, or are a parent of a player, none of us will really understand what's going on behind the scene.

At this point, my only expectations take me to the next game. And when that game happens, I will cheer for the team, with the understanding that they are doing their best, considering all the influences that they cannot control.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Paige's father is a wise man, and I'm glad he had this to say.

But asking the Boneyard (and many fans) not to overreact is, as they say in Spanish, pedirle peras al olmo [asking an elm tree to yield pears].

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom