A message from Paige's father (merged thread) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

A message from Paige's father (merged thread)

Reaction Score
Nice attempt at koombaya ... team with full lineup got beaten badly by South Carolina. This is the new reality . No. 1 HS player every year is not enough. Other schools have caught up. Geno wants one more title before he retires. It may never happen ...
Nice attempt to impersonate a UConn fan with that moniker but your backside shows. It's only opponents that talk about Geno's retirement. :)

Reaction Score
I'm confident that he was referring more to posts on Twitter. I don't twitter but the comments there make this board look like a child's tea party. In fact posters here have no concept of the level of nastiness that exists on many sports boards. My first board was ESPN's wcbb board and as long as you didn't threaten someone physically you could get away with almost any comment about teams, players, coaches and other posters. And that board was mild compared to the game comments that were attached to each game.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I'm confident that he was referring more to posts on Twitter. I don't twitter but the comments there make this board look like a child's tea party. In fact posters here have no concept of the level of nastiness that exists on many sports boards. My first board was ESPN's wcbb board and as long as you didn't threaten someone physically you could get away with almost any comment about teams, players, coaches and other posters. And that board was mild compared to the game comments that were attached to each game.
I remember that board and the Summitt and OMG they were ultra nasty. The orange checkerboard was one of the worst and the hate towards UConn and Geno was over the top

Reaction Score
They say we don't see ourselves as others see us.
I watch UCONN WBB because I think the program itself and the players who come and go have a certain aura
about them. Call it arrogance, call it confidence, call them over pampered babies, call them extraordinary young women with a commitment to excellence (apologies to Al Davis). The whole UCONN mystique/legacy thing can be a crushing weight or a source of pride and continuity.
Any comments I have made on this board, I believe are based on what players have shown they are capable of.
Saying someone stinks, or should be benched or should play someplace else is as silly as it is classless and cruel.
Saying that they can do better and urging them on is, IMHO, not.
I respect and admire them all, no matter what the stat sheet from a game might suggest.
My granddaughter (now 6) goes to basketball clinic/camp and loves the game.
I take her to games at the local college (Divison 1) whenever I can just to be sure she sees that "girls can do sports".
I try to base my attitude and comments on how I would want HER to be treated.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nice attempt at koombaya ... team with full lineup got beaten badly by South Carolina. This is the new reality . No. 1 HS player every year is not enough. Other schools have caught up. Geno wants one more title before he retires. It may never happen ...

I hear South Carolina is taking applications for new fans.

1642687525634.jpeg

Reaction Score
Let’s understand. Those presupposing the critical writers are old geezers please note. “Old geezers can spell, use proper English and have prop grammar. The recent post graduates don’t know the difference among to, too, and two.

Reaction Score
Let’s understand. Those presupposing the critical writers are old geezers please note. “Old geezers can spell, use proper English and have prop grammar. The recent post graduates don’t know the difference among to, too, and two.
Well you're sure showing those young folk considering you didn't close your quotation or finish spelling the word "proper."

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I hear South Carolina is taking applications for new fans.

View attachment 72554

Speaking for myself, it was never the winning that attracted me to UConn but the way they played. The passing, movement and intelligence that took talented players and transcended the individual talent. This just shone through the TV and the announcers saw it as well. No other team played that way although some came closer than others. I would actually put ND in that class (especially when they run out of Mabrey's) . Now, I understand we have had a downturn with some rough recruiting results but with players like Paige, Azzi, Liv, Caroline, etc, which embody the spirit and style of UConn, I am not going anywhere. I have no interest in teams like SC who seem happy to simply bludgeon their way to wins

Reaction Score
Speaking for myself, it was never the winning that attracted me to UConn but the way they played. The passing, movement and intelligence that took talented players and transcended the individual talent. This just shone through the TV and the announcers saw it as well. No other team played that way although some came closer than others. I would actually put ND in that class (especially when they run out of Mabrey's) . Now, I understand we have had a downturn with some rough recruiting results but with players like Paige, Azzi, Liv, Caroline, etc, which embody the spirit and style of UConn, I am not going anywhere. I have no interest in teams like SC who seem happy to simply bludgeon their way to wins
Are they cloning Mabrey's? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Let’s understand. Those presupposing the critical writers are old geezers please note. “Old geezers can spell, use proper English and have proper grammar. The recent post graduates don’t know the difference among to, too, and two.

Reaction Score
It was interesting reading some of the posts after the Oregon game. Just 48 hours earlier, most of us were in a semi-state of euphoria after our girls soundly defeated Xavier. Even though they were a vastly inferior team. Everything was right with the world, we were all feeling good about ourselves, the players and life was good. The sun was out and the birds were singing.

Then like the late Dinah Washington sang in a song released way back in 1959 - "What a difference a day makes." Dark clouds reappeared. A dark and ominous pall descended over the team and UConn Nation. Over the course of two hours yesterday evening, folks changed their outlook and attitude, about Geno, the team and individual players. We assigned blame and pointed fingers. All of us are frustrated and disappointed with the current state of affairs of the program. Some of us (Tonyc - I love you man ;)) remain eternal optimists, still holding out hope while others have all but thrown in the towel.

During the summer months, we (UConn Nation) were excited about the unbridled potential of our team, and boldly predicted how many games we would lose on our way to the championship. With the talent we had, there was no way we would be denied our 12th championship, rightfully taking back what is ours. Then, like little Red Riding Hood, we got "jacked" on the way to grandma's house. Things began to fall apart, the wheels came off the wagon, two players left the program, the injury bug hit us hard, and the COVID-19 Caronavirus reared its ugly head once again disrupting the start of our season. What could go wrong did go wrong.

It's hard to deny what we saw take place yesterday in Eugene. It is what it is. Now the question is can this team turn their fortunes around in time for the tournament? This is the first time since I've been following the program (since 2008) that I feel nothing is guaranteed. The thought of UConn losing in the first week of the tournament was absurd. Those games were deem as nothing more than "warm-up" games for the following week. A top seed is completely out of the question.

We can't think that way now. So far, we've lost to two unranked teams (Georgia Tech & Oregon) with more to come. I must admit that many of the posts I read were spot on and fairly accurate in their assessment of the game, and current state of the team. It's hard to deny the truth. We all saw the same thing yesterday, and it broke our hearts. But as you suggest, when we compose a thought or concern that is "less than flattering", we must remember that we're talking about a young 18-22 year old young ladies that are under a lot of pressure to perform and trying to do the very best they can, not to mention that they are somebody's daughter. So, your "Don't press send" suggestion is timely, and not bad advice. A friendly reminder never hurts. :)

Unlike UNC, our women still have classes to work through as well...

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
During the broadcast last night, the announcers mentioned UConn fans disappointment.

On another note, the two losses to unranked teams is somewhat misleading. GT is now ranked #15, and I strongly suspect Oregon will be ranked next week.
Unless things get better for UConn soon, I fear that there is strong possibility that they may lose a conference game or two to one of the top tier teams. Presently, this team is experiencing challenges on offense and defense that may prove to be insurmountable against those teams.

We’re all seeing the same thing. We can see the direction they’re trending towards. If UConn is going (expecting) to win conference games, something is going to happen. Either they play better than the competition as they have been, or they play down to the level of the competition and risk losing.

We’re down to a rotation of 6 players. We don’t know from one game to the next which one of them is going to show up. Caroline has been the most consistent over the past few games. She can’t do it alone.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I am and will always be a UCONN fan!!! Win OR lose. Some fans are bandwagon members who jump on board and whine and complain with their fingertips! That’s not me or my family. Ya win some. Ya lose some. UConn has been on the winning side most of the time but it’s no reason to shame the coaches or the young ladies who lace them up every day and night for our entertainment when they lose. It’s why i stay away from threads like these but I felt like i needed to get that out there. Go UCONN!!!

And also—-don’t take the bait!!! There are folks on here with UCONN handles who are anyrhing but UCONN fans. They are here to stir up the fan base and some bite and swallow hook, line, and sinker.

Reaction Score
I'm an old man. I never spent time watching women's sports but took up watching the women's soccer team years ago and loved it. I love how women and girls strive for excellence and it's not overt elbows in the face like men. People rabbit punching each other on the sidelines. Testosterone ruins everything. I didn't watch women's basketball at all until last winter and I think I was reading some Uconn alumni calling Paige the "best player ever" or something like that so I watched a game to check it out. I got hooked and Paige is more than just an athlete. She is everyone's daughter that they never had, and so are the other girls. They are girls to us geezers. Granddaughters. Let me be honest. We love these girls as if they were our kids. Even the ones we don't think are great players. They are unique people and they have their whole lives ahead of them. We want the best for them and are fans. I'm a kidney patient with 5% function on 10 hours of dialysis a day. It gives me a respite to have any sort of joy in my life and I love watching these girls on the cusp of their lives as they strive to be everything they can be. I can't think of a better group of kids to care about. They are funny. Interesting. I watch their tiktoks. I love their interviews. I want the very best for all of them. Who wouldn't love these kids? Don't think for a second that we don't admire and respect every one of these kids.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom