A message from Paige's father (merged thread) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A message from Paige's father (merged thread)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Too many posters who are couch coaches. They have a perception of how the team should play. And they are closed minded to any other opinion. Not sure they ever played competitive sports let alone D1 sports. That's my take.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
During the broadcast last night, the announcers mentioned UConn fans disappointment.

On another note, the two losses to unranked teams is somewhat misleading. GT is now ranked #15, and I strongly suspect Oregon will be ranked next week.

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
How I envision 80% of the Boneyarders

old-woman-sitting-in-a-chair-watching-tv-B62MEG.jpg

sun

Reaction Score
One would think that nationally, the UConn WBB fan base is much more diverse than is represented by the BY.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
If Paige is "Paige Buckets" does that make her father "Daddy War Buckets"? We probably could have used Annie Makurat yesterday.
Or Saylor or Mir or...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Nope. We took a census some years ago. The women’s board fans are mostly older men.

iirc, half of the self-described UConn WBB fans in that survey followed only the women's team. Debatable whether they'd follow the team if it was perpetually more... average? It explains the outsized expectations on this board the last few years where it's been NC title or bust.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Hopefully Bob Bueckers realizes that many comments are coming from geezers who have too much time on their hands.
What does that mean, being, I think a geezer and pretty defensive of what the team is going through. Fate willing, all os us get to be geezers and maybe a bit wiser, we hope.

Reaction Score
I think a simple reminder to our seniors would have been sufficient. Don’t forget the geezers as you call them or working on a different timeline. One that you Young’uns wouldn’t know about yet.

Reaction Score
Bob Bueckers timely social media post should come as a reminder to all of us that players and their friends and family members are acutely aware of criticism in print, TV and social media platforms, even including the BY. I urge everyone here on the BY to consider what you write as if you were writing about your own child before posting. If it's not something you would be comfortable posting about your own child, in the words of Herm Edwards, "Don't hit send."
All good intentions have a very short life. Bad intentions last a life time. That is human nature.
Few if any on the BY, me included, don't intend to hurt these kids because most of us feel they are OUR KIDS. If anyone believes fans are not demanding they don't know the breed. Have you seen a Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Alabama, Football fans--or heard them after a loss they didn't expect??

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
All good intentions have a very short life. Bad intentions last a life time. That is human nature.
Few if any on the BY, me included, don't intend to hurt these kids because most of us feel they are OUR KIDS. If anyone believes fans are not demanding they don't know the breed. Have you seen a Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Alabama, Football fans--or heard them after a loss they didn't expect??
Yes, I’ve seen how college fans can get ugly. I’ve also seen it at TN as the once dominant WBB program declined. That’s the primary reason Evina is now a Husky.

The fact that other big time college fans can react in negative ways to a loss certainly doesn’t make it right. I continue to hope and advocate for the fans of UConn WBB to be better than what we see elsewhere.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Bob Bueckers timely social media post should come as a reminder to all of us that players and their friends and family members are acutely aware of criticism in print, TV and social media platforms, even including the BY. I urge everyone here on the BY to consider what you write as if you were writing about your own child before posting. If it's not something you would be comfortable posting about your own child, in the words of Herm Edwards, "Don't hit send."
It was interesting reading some of the posts after the Oregon game. Just 48 hours earlier, most of us were in a semi-state of euphoria after our girls soundly defeated Xavier. Even though they were a vastly inferior team. Everything was right with the world, we were all feeling good about ourselves, the players and life was good. The sun was out and the birds were singing.

Then like the late Dinah Washington sang in a song released way back in 1959 - "What a difference a day makes." Dark clouds reappeared. A dark and ominous pall descended over the team and UConn Nation. Over the course of two hours yesterday evening, folks changed their outlook and attitude, about Geno, the team and individual players. We assigned blame and pointed fingers. All of us are frustrated and disappointed with the current state of affairs of the program. Some of us (Tonyc - I love you man ;)) remain eternal optimists, still holding out hope while others have all but thrown in the towel.

During the summer months, we (UConn Nation) were excited about the unbridled potential of our team, and boldly predicted how many games we would lose on our way to the championship. With the talent we had, there was no way we would be denied our 12th championship, rightfully taking back what is ours. Then, like little Red Riding Hood, we got "jacked" on the way to grandma's house. Things began to fall apart, the wheels came off the wagon, two players left the program, the injury bug hit us hard, and the COVID-19 Caronavirus reared its ugly head once again disrupting the start of our season. What could go wrong did go wrong.

It's hard to deny what we saw take place yesterday in Eugene. It is what it is. Now the question is can this team turn their fortunes around in time for the tournament? This is the first time since I've been following the program (since 2008) that I feel nothing is guaranteed. The thought of UConn losing in the first week of the tournament was absurd. Those games were deem as nothing more than "warm-up" games for the following week. A top seed is completely out of the question.

We can't think that way now. So far, we've lost to two unranked teams (Georgia Tech & Oregon) with more to come. I must admit that many of the posts I read were spot on and fairly accurate in their assessment of the game, and current state of the team. It's hard to deny the truth. We all saw the same thing yesterday, and it broke our hearts. But as you suggest, when we compose a thought or concern that is "less than flattering", we must remember that we're talking about a young 18-22 year old young ladies that are under a lot of pressure to perform and trying to do the very best they can, not to mention that they are somebody's daughter. So, your "Don't press send" suggestion is timely, and not bad advice. A friendly reminder never hurts. :)

Reaction Score
Nice attempt at koombaya ... team with full lineup got beaten badly by South Carolina. This is the new reality . No. 1 HS player every year is not enough. Other schools have caught up. Geno wants one more title before he retires. It may never happen ...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom