2023-24 South Carolina regular season, Part 2 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2023-24 South Carolina regular season, Part 2

Reaction Score
CDS career record at start of season was 574-186 . Currently 17-0 so she needs 9 more
If we win the next 9 games, that would make the home game against Alabama on 2/22 her 600th win. We have 12 games remaining in the regular season, so it should happen before post season play.

Reaction Score
SC vs LSU thoughts:

I do worry that LSU leads the nation in FT attempts with over 600 so far this year, (about 150 more than the next teams on the list) and FT’s made per game at over 22, they obviously get to the charity stripe at a prolific rate. SC by contrast has attempted only around 300 and they are shooting 67% from there, making only about 12 per game. Thats a big difference, and late in a tight game, I would only trust PaoPao and Cardoso to knock them down tbh, maybe Fulwiley also, she has been money lately at the FT line. Everyone else is literally hit or miss, especially with the pressure on. Hopefully it doesn’t get to that.

Beside the FT disparity, Kitts and Watkins have to neutralize Morrow, no easy task, she is tough in the paint. Williams will also be a hard matchup for whomever guards her, likely Hall. For SC, I believe Fulwiley will be a handful for their guards to corral, prob Johnson gets that duty. Raven should be able to defend Hailey Van Lith very well, I think Hailey Van Lith has a rough game against the SC defensive pressure.

Best thing that could happen for SC is if any LSU starter, AR in particular, gets some foul trouble trying to defend the paint from all of SC’s bigs. Johnson has a knack for foul trouble also, she might have to be careful if she is defending Fulwiley When she is in the game, PaoPao does not draw many fouls, so maybe Johnson skates there.

If I had to pick a player from either side that could make a huge difference in this game, it’s prob Williams for LSU and either Fulwiley or Watkins for SC. If Kitts is getting muscled by Morrow early, Watkins will enter with the assignment to contain Williams and she can do that imo.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It is hard to parse LSU's stats given 3/4 of the schedule opponents were absolute dogs.

I think keeping them off offensive boards is a key. Do that and SCar wins by a lot.

The other things to worry about: turnovers, bad shooting night. And then I'd say FTs.

Reaction Score
It is hard to parse LSU's stats given 3/4 of the schedule opponents were absolute dogs.

I think keeping them off offensive boards is a key. Do that and SCar wins by a lot.

The other things to worry about: turnovers, bad shooting night. And then I'd say FTs.
Yeah, on that offensive boards metric, I was surprised that in SEC play SC ranks close to the bottom in OR allowed. LSU of course leads the conference in OR per game. Need to fix that tomorrow as you pointed out, it’s gonna be a big factor. LSU not only gets a ton of FT’s, they convert them at a high clip. Reese in particular, she gets 35%+ of her points there.

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Yeah, on that offensive boards metric, I was surprised that in SEC play SC ranks close to the bottom in OR allowed. LSU of course leads the conference in OR per game. Need to fix that tomorrow as you pointed out, it’s gonna be a big factor. LSU not only gets a ton of FT’s, they convert them at a high clip. Reese in particular, she gets 35%+ of her points there.
If I'm not mistaken, the metric is Offensive Rebounds per game and the Gamecocks' offensive rebounds are down because they're making such a high percentage of their shots, while opponents have a very low shooting percentage and thus have many more chances for O rebounds.

Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken, the metric is Offensive Rebounds per game and the Gamecocks' offensive rebounds are down because they're making such a high percentage of their shots, while opponents have a very low shooting percentage and thus have many more chances for O rebounds.
I’m sure that has a lot to do with it, good point.

Reaction Score

That is a good point.

Reaction Score
I think the matchups will be Cardoso-Reese, Kitts/Watkins-Morrow, Pao Pao-Williams, Hall-Johnson and R Johnson-Hailey Van Lith. I’m not sure TPP can keep up with Flau’je. Flau’je gets most of her points in transition and Breezy is quick down the court. It will be interesting to see how Dawn/Kim decide the matchups.

Reaction Score
Both she and Morrow are hard workers on the floor. It will be a slugfest with each player trying to gain advantage over the other and clawing for every loose ball and rebound.

Reaction Score
I am team Watkins in that pairing
I don’t think Angel wants any part of Watkins. Chloe and Flau’je don’t care for each other. Chloe’s too physical for Flau’je. Seriously.

Reaction Score
This is on a "Women's" Basketball Forum?
Well, I see Chloe Kitts and Milaysia an Kamilla and others doing just what this board’s majority has said fans shouldn’t do. So, yeah it’s relevant. But it plays better on the Gamecock thread

Reaction Score
I can’t remember facing a crowd that hostile on the road. A little bit easier to understand now why LSU got knocked down 18-2 in Columbia and never got back up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom