2023-24 South Carolina regular season, Part 2 | The Boneyard

2023-24 South Carolina regular season, Part 2

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Thanks Nan. This should carry us through the Season - or at least the SEC season/tournament.

Reaction Score
Just saw on a halftime report that South Carolina is third in D-1 in 3 point FG%. That is very concerning for the rest of the Country.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Just saw on a halftime report that South Carolina is third in D-1 in 3 point FG%. That is very concerning for the rest of the Country.
Need Raven to get going again (she just hasn't been taking a lot of threes, but they go in when she takes a few), but yes, Pao Pao and Hall have been shooting the ball very very well. Others have been opportunistic with their shots as well.

Reaction Score
Pao Pao is now shooting 54% from three. She is locked in this season so far. Hall is shooting confidently as well, I believe around 45% and Raven is around 40% as is Tessa Johnson. Those are the four primary three point shooters with Fulwiley bringing up the rear at 30%. I think Fulwiley will be hit or miss from three this season, she has work to do on her shot in the offseason. The team is shooting 41% overall from three, which makes SC so difficult to defend.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pao Pao is now shooting 54% from three. She is locked in this season so far. Hall is shooting confidently as well, I believe around 45% and Raven is around 40% as is Tessa Johnson. Those are the four primary three point shooters with Fulwiley bringing up the rear at 30%. I think Fulwiley will be hit or miss from three this season, she has work to do on her shot in the offseason. The team is shooting 41% overall, which makes SC so dangerous to defend.
Freshman impatience! Fulwiley is forcing it too often. She needs to take every open 3 but hold off when it’s contested. Look to pass or drive and dish/shoot if it’s contested.

She is good on the last second long heave though.

Reaction Score
Coach Staley Postgame Presser. She was not happy with what i considered a well played game by our girls yesterday. What does she mean by- undisciplined play?

Reaction Score
Freshman impatience! Fulwiley is forcing it too often. She needs to take every open 3 but hold off when it’s contested. Look to pass or drive and dish/shoot if it’s contested.

She is good on the last second long heave though.
Her 3pt shot needs work.Same issue as Saniya Rivers year one. Miss is at the back of the rim or hard off the backboard.

Reaction Score
Coach Staley Postgame Presser. She was not happy with what i considered a well played game by our girls yesterday. What does she mean by- undisciplined play?

More coach speak striving for perfection. She may not have been happy with the D in spurts and is trying to keep her team hungry. Miss St kept playing hard despite the score so kudos to them.

Reaction Score
I didn't think South Carolina played well at all.

I was happy and not at all surprised to hear that Dawn let them have it. Unsurprisingly, Bree Hall echoed it. She is one of the most focused ones.

Team would have been better off getting beat early maybe.

Reaction Score
Her 3pt shot needs work.Same issue as Saniya Rivers year one. Miss is at the back of the rim or hard off the backboard.
Her feet are in inconsistent .

Her shot selection is questionable.

She hunts attention and it's not helpful.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I agree with her. This was a frustrating game to watch. I only felt like Bree Hall and Tessa Johnson brought their "A" games. Guard play on defense was atrocious and boxing out / rebounding wasn't too far behind. We played alright on offense but we missed a ton of easy layups and our forwards/centers did not look well polished.

Reaction Score
I didn't think South Carolina played well at all.

I was happy and not at all surprised to hear that Dawn let them have it. Unsurprisingly, Bree Hall echoed it. She is one of the most focused ones.

Team would have been better off getting beat early maybe.
We won the rebounding contest - by only 1. I thought only Ashlynn was boxing out and fighting for it.

I have no idea why Feagin was at the figurative end of the bench yesterday.

Reaction Score
Dawn was visibly unhappy on the bench for quite a bit of the game last night and there were instances she let some players know it, Raven in particular. I haven’t watched the broadcast yet so IDK how much of that made it through. GCC article said usually post game pressers usually happen 20-25 minutes after but it was 45 minutes before Dawn showed up for yesterday’s.

Pretty interesting write up which I believe is accessible for non members. Apologies if not:

Reaction Score
We sometimes expect a lot from this team, prob because of the great start to the season but also because the bar was set so high from previous teams. I like to go back and occassionally look at the scores from last season’s games as well as the ones from the two championship teams. They were not winning every game by double digits even in those seasons. Some of these players are young this year and the starting five is all new, so I try not to nitpick. I get it when Dawn is hard on them, that’s her job as she sees it. But as fans, most of us should just appreciate how well this team is doing so far and realize they should improve even more between now and tourney time. I couldn’t be happier with this team so far.

As for their style of play compared to previous teams, I find this squad more enjoyable to watch with all of the different ways they can score. And the defense is right there statistically with past great teams. Maybe the one thing that worries me a tiny bit is that there always seems to be one player from the better teams that goes off on SC for huge numbers. That needs to be fixed before the tourney by the coaches and is what kept last years team from being perfect. Yeah, the Iowa game still sticks in my “craw”.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can any of the South Carolina fans and insiders dispel the rumor that Cardosa isn't playing in the UConn game because she's playing with her national team at that time? That can't be true.
Screen Shot 2024-01-08 at 5.51.21 PM.png

Reaction Score
We won the rebounding contest - by only 1. I thought only Ashlynn was boxing out and fighting for it.

I have no idea why Feagin was at the figurative end of the bench yesterday.
It’s evident by now that coach Staley does not trust Feagin for whatever reason(s) to play meaningful minutes. I certainly don’t know the reason, she produces when in the game and appears to be energized this season on defense. There has to be an explanation, I think Jah played more than she did against MSU, and that just baffles the hell out of me.

Reaction Score
Can any of the South Carolina fans and insiders dispel the rumor that Cardosa isn't playing in the UConn game because she's playing with her national team at that time? That can't be true. View attachment 94890
There has not been any official announcement on that topic, yet. But many have already pointed out the calendar/dates issue and if I had to guess she will not be available for the Uconn game.

Reaction Score
Can any of the South Carolina fans and insiders dispel the rumor that Cardosa isn't playing in the UConn game because she's playing with her national team at that time? That can't be true. View attachment 94890
Everything is pointing to her missing that game from what I have heard but it is nothing concrete and probably the same sources as yours. Brazil is playing Olympic qualifiers on the 8th, 10th, and 11th of Feb against Australia, Serbia, and Germany, respectively, so it would make sense for her to miss the Missouri and UConn games that month.

Reaction Score
Everything is pointing to her missing that game from what I have heard but it is nothing concrete and probably the same sources as yours. Brazil is playing Olympic qualifiers on the 8th, 10th, and 11th of Feb against Australia, Serbia, and Germany, respectively, so it would make sense for her to miss the Missouri and UConn games that month.
I hope it’s not true. Don’t think UConn can compete with South Carolina with or without Cardosa so losing with Cardosa would be infinitely better.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I hope it’s not true. Don’t think UConn can compete with South Carolina with or without Cardosa so losing with Cardosa would be infinitely better.
Most of us aren’t expecting Cardoso for that game. Hopefully she comes back ready to play for the rest of the season when it counts.

Reaction Score
Each team in the Olympic Qualifier will have a 12-player roster so three shown above will not play in February. I brought up the Cardoso question a while back when I saw that the qualifier occurs the same weekend as the UConn @SC game.

Three of the four teams in the Brazil region - Australia, Brazil, Germany and Serbia will advance to the Paris Olympics. UCLA’s Angela Dugalic will play for Serbia and Emily Bessoir was slated to play for Germany before she injured her ACL in the FIBA 2025 Euro Championship qualifier last November. I mentioned to Emily in late October that the Olympic Qualifier coincided with the same weekend as UConn-SC and wondered aloud if Coach Staley would let Cardoso go that weekend. Emily laughed and replied “I hope not.”

Reaction Score
If she is out for Uconn, it will give Watkins an Opportunity to play more minutes vs Edwards and I think she would do well. Might give Feagin an opportunity for extended minutes as well and Lord knows she needs that. Kitts would likely get 30 minutes in that scenario if Watkins was playing more 5.

Reaction Score
Each team in the Olympic Qualifier will have a 12-player roster so three shown above will not play in February. I brought up the Cardoso question a while back when I saw that the qualifier occurs the same weekend as the UConn @SC game.

Three of the four teams in the Brazil region - Australia, Brazil, Germany and Serbia will advance to the Paris Olympics. UCLA’s Angela Dugalic will play for Serbia and Emily Bessoir was slated to play for Germany before she injured her ACL in the FIBA 2025 Euro Championship qualifier last November. I mentioned to Emily in late October that the Olympic Qualifier coincided with the same weekend as UConn-SC and wondered aloud if Coach Staley would let Cardoso go that weekend. Emily laughed and replied “I hope not.”
Amihere set the precedent playing for Team Canada. Country over school 100%

Reaction Score
Dawn said last night. Cardoso would be a game time decision. Don't think she is playing imo.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom