2023-24 South Carolina regular season, Part 2 | Page 14 | The Boneyard

2023-24 South Carolina regular season, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Overseas is a totally different matter. The poster I replied to was focused on the WNBA which I believe Cardoso should find no trouble making the roster of the team that drafts her.

At the same time, it's presumptuous to assume first rounders are guaranteed roster spots when drafted nowadays. This is why I noted that some may opt to stay another year and take advantage of getting another degree while on scholarship.

I can't imagine a scenario where a WNBA team drafts Cardoso and she fails to make the roster.

Reaction Score
I can't imagine a scenario where a WNBA team drafts Cardoso and she fails to make the roster.
He loves to find an argument. If you reread my post carefully I gave all of the disclaimers. But the truth is that international players cannot monetize in WBB at the college level while their American teammates can. And for the best international players, you know, the first round types as I stated, it makes sense most of the top ones will be more likely to go pro early. Thats all I said, nothing beyond that. Let him argue his point into the ground, the truth is what I stated. Life is too short man…

Reaction Score
He loves to find an argument. If you reread my post carefully I gave all of the disclaimers. But the truth is that international players cannot monetize in WBB at the college level while their American teammates can. And for the best international players, you know, the first round types as I stated, it makes sense most of the top ones will be more likely to go pro early. Thats all I said, nothing beyond that. Let him argue his point into the ground, the truth is what I stated. Life is too short man…
Having a different perspective is not having an argument. My point was that they may look at an additional year at no cost to them as a benefit instead of declaring for the draft.

First your truth about NIL monetization isn't accurate. The difference is that the way International players can monetize NIL makes it trickier, which impacts the potential value they can earn. So if Aaliyah's NIL deal is worth more than the average salary for a WNBA rookie ($ 75K - $80K is the guess), why wouldn't staying for an extra year to finish a grad degree sound feasible?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Some weird lineup switches after the lineup has been the same all year. Feagin now starting over Kitts the last 2 games, and today Fulwiley started over Raven. Anyone know what's the logic with this? Neither Kitts/Johnson is injured.

Reaction Score
Some weird lineup switches after the lineup has been the same all year. Feagin now starting over Kitts the last 2 games, and today Fulwiley started over Raven. Anyone know what's the logic with this? Neither Kitts/Johnson is injured.
Maybe rest? Tournament games come one after another.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure Feagin is getting rewarded for recent play as she's drawn the toughest straw of anyone on roster.

It's senior day so maybe PaoPao is getting some PG love, but I'd guess it might be more Raven related.

Oddly Dawn was questioned about Kitts and said she'd start today.

The forward spot is awkward And full of options, which is why also going after Strong is slightly eyebrow raising.

Reaction Score
The perks of having depth, fearlessness, players buying into their roles, and trusting the coach. Plus, having Chole (Kitts) in that 2nd unit gives South Carolina, like they need any additional help, more ways maintain or expand defensive/offensive options.

Reaction Score
The perks of having depth, fearlessness, players buying into their roles, and trusting the coach. Plus, having Chole (Kitts) in that 2nd unit gives South Carolina, like they need any additional help, more ways maintain or expand defensive/offensive options.

Was Kitts worst game in a long time. She looked tentative and you have to wonder whether falling behind Watkins and Feagin contributed to it.

I don't see any particular value to the second unit of putting her there as Watkins was already doing that job.

I am not crazy about team trying to figure out different roles and combinations in the last week of the season.

The weirdness of the lineups here late is a worry. Can't help but wonder what's going on.

On the other hand they're 29-0. Another amazing regular season for Coach.

Reaction Score
It’s nitpicking by nature when you’re undefeated, but a possible cause for concern is that SCar looked better opening the season than they have closing it out. I’m sure some of that’s wear and tear from four months of play, but something to keep an eye on. I thought the same about the 2022 and 2023 teams. Once it worked out and once it didn’t.

A possible clash with LSU, should they meet next week, would be interesting. LSU seems to have found a new gear of late.

Reaction Score
It’s nitpicking by nature when you’re undefeated, but a possible cause for concern is that SCar looked better opening the season than they have closing it out. I’m sure some of that’s wear and tear from four months of play, but something to keep an eye on. I thought the same about the 2022 and 2023 teams. Once it worked out and once it didn’t.

A possible clash with LSU, should they meet next week, would be interesting. LSU seems to have found a new gear of late.
Looked pretty darn good the two games before this one to be fair.

LSU is pretty darn good i think, but the SEC schedule isn't exactly murderer's row.

South Carolina schedules aggressively and only has beaten 6 ranked teams-- if ABC was broadcast was correct today.

I do sort of wonder if most all of our matchups vs S16 caliber teams have been close. Utah, Duke, UNC, Tennessee, LSU have all been a little challenging. That's normal of course.

Not really in a place where I think SC is going to romp through.

Reaction Score
Was Kitts worst game in a long time. She looked tentative and you have to wonder whether falling behind Watkins and Feagin contributed to it.

I don't see any particular value to the second unit of putting her there as Watkins was already doing that job.

I am not crazy about team trying to figure out different roles and combinations in the last week of the season.

The weirdness of the lineups here late is a worry. Can't help but wonder what's going on.

Definitely another amazing season for Coach Staley. As for Kitts, who knows. All I know is, Coach Staley has the ability to plug a player into a spot and it is working out pretty well. Congrats on the regular season and best of luck during the SEC tournament.

Reaction Score

Don't think Kitts has "fallen behind" anyone, to be honest. Coach said she didn't start today for breaking a minor team rule. Same reason Raven didn'n start. She had a couple of games where she was recovering from being ill as well.

Also - plenty of recaps and articles and interviews and presser responses on the lineups and reasonings.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m of the mindset that IDK whether this team is great or not. All I know is we’ve played a challenging schedule and found a way to win every single game. If the refs are calling tight (today) we figure it out. If the refs are letting everything go, we figure it out. If we have to win shooting 3s, we do. If we have to grind it out inside, we do. This team is really young and every day is a first for them. LSU passes ALL the eye tests, but have lost multiple games. Whatever this team does in the post season is a plus because nobody, I mean NOBODY, thought this team would be where it is.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

LSU didn't look good against Kentucky, today. Some teams are better matchups. Tennessee has size, depth and a superstar; they've just underperformed.

Reaction Score
Coach Staley was asked about it postgame and it appears to be an internal issue; maybe late for shootaround, a less than stellar practice?
"It's a team rule. It's very minimal, but our standard is our standard."

Reaction Score
I’m of the mindset that IDK whether this team is great or not. All I know is we’ve played a challenging schedule and found a way to win every single game. If the refs are calling tight (today) we figure it out. If the refs are letting everything go, we figure it out. If we have to win shooting 3s, we do. If we have to grind it out inside, we do. This team is really young and every day is a first for them. LSU passes ALL the eye tests, but have lost multiple games. Whatever this team does in the post season is a plus because nobody, I mean NOBODY, thought this team would be where it is.
Undefeated is a minor surprise, but winning the sec and being a national,title contender? Absolutely is what I expected.

too much talent returning for that not to be the case.

Reaction Score
Coach Staley was asked about it postgame and it appears to be an internal issue; maybe late for shootaround, a less than stellar practice?
"It's a team rule. It's very minimal, but our standard is our standard."
She didn’t really specify who she was talking about. One of them or both. At least in presser. Maybe she did elsewhere.

Reaction Score
And that’s the beauty of having a balanced team. Congrats on your team’s success!

PS: This UConn fan did. And I also remember posting that SCAR would be good, so I didn’t understand why they were ranked that low (6th, maybe) at the beginning of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom