2023-24 South Carolina regular season, Part 2 | Page 16 | The Boneyard

2023-24 South Carolina regular season, Part 2

Reaction Score
Outsider-Looking-in- Question? Is PaoPao staying a bit of a surprise? I thought she'd wait to see how the NCAA's went and that might help her with a decision.

I just got off a late(r) 1st-round projection with guards like Georgia Amoore, Charisma Osborne and Jacy Sheldon listed, as well as two of the Aussie prospects (one a forward, one a guard). From an individual perspective, I think PaoPao -- with a well-rounded skill set, leadership and a killer three-pointer, would be natural for this year.

Does Down advise a little, a lot on these? Maybe she thought another year would behoove her.

Genuinely interested. Thanks for whatever insights from those who have insight into S. Carolina program.
I'm genuinely surprised she returned. I figured this was her best opportunity to leave in terms of the draft.

All this tells me is that her and her family love it down here and they see some value in staying another season. Perhaps her defensive game can go up another level and I'm sure it doesn't hurt to have another year to pick the brain of one of our sports best point guards either.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Outsider-Looking-in- Question? Is PaoPao staying a bit of a surprise? I thought she'd wait to see how the NCAA's went and that might help her with a decision.

I just got off a late(r) 1st-round projection with guards like Georgia Amoore, Charisma Osborne and Jacy Sheldon listed, as well as two of the Aussie prospects (one a forward, one a guard). From an individual perspective, I think PaoPao -- with a well-rounded skill set, leadership and a killer three-pointer, would be natural for this year.

Does Down advise a little, a lot on these? Maybe she thought another year would behoove her.

Genuinely interested. Thanks for whatever insights from those who have insight into S. Carolina program.
I’m not surprised she’s staying. I thought it was about 50-50 the entire time.

Dawn doesn’t sway her players. That’s a family decision. She obviously has a lot of WNBA connections, so she reaches out to her connections, gets the intel on players and relays that info to her players. The players and the family then make their decision.

Reaction Score
I’m not surprised she’s staying. I thought it was about 50-50 the entire time.

Dawn doesn’t sway her players. That’s a family decision. She obviously has a lot of WNBA connections, so she reaches out to her connections, gets the intel on players and relays that info to her players. The players and the family then make their decision.
Exactly, which is why Amihere left last year even though she had a chance to start this year. Dawn knew there were several teams that valued her potential.

Reaction Score
Exactly, which is why Amihere left last year even though she had a chance to start this year. Dawn knew there were several teams that valued her potential.
The one player last year who shouldda come back was Brea (to work on her offensive game), but she was fed up with college life and wanted to move on. I get it.

Reaction Score
The one player last year who shouldda come back was Brea (to work on her offensive game), but she was fed up with college life and wanted to move on. I get it.
She had a pro-football player BF just up the road in Charlotte. That’s why she left. She gave the pro game a shot and when it didn’t work out she peaced out.

Reaction Score
Beal Beal has come to a few games this season. I've seen her in the background behind the bench with Olivia Thompson on a few occasions.

I also saw Saxton in the stands watching Boston perform with the USA team in Europe.

I really like how the prior team still supports each other and the program. I think that speaks volumes.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Pao Pao coming back is a net positive for SC, but I can't help but wonder if it will create a log jam in the backcourt. Fulwiley doesn't strike me as the type of player who would be content coming off the bench next year, and I don't see Hall or Johnson going to the bench either. If Dawn can keep everyone happy it's going to be a loaded backcourt again next year (and still will be a loaded lineup even if someone were to leave).

Front court too is locked and loaded. After going undefeated this year, I think SC has a real shot to be even better next season with everyone back besides Cardoso and the drop off between her and Watkins (her backup) looks minimal this year.

Reaction Score
Pao Pao coming back is a net positive for SC, but I can't help but wonder if it will create a log jam in the backcourt. Fulwiley doesn't strike me as the type of player who would be content coming off the bench next year, and I don't see Hall or Johnson going to the bench either. If Dawn can keep everyone happy it's going to be a loaded backcourt again next year (and still will be a loaded lineup even if someone were to leave).

Front court too is locked and loaded. After going undefeated this year, I think SC has a real shot to be even better next season with everyone back besides Cardoso and the drop off between her and Watkins (her backup) looks minimal this year.
I would be absolutely shocked if Fulwiley went anywhere else. Her family is ALL IN on Dawn and have been for years. The Announcement by Pao Pao has been known by the team for a few weeks. Maddie McDaniel is the one that may get left behind next year but she is coming off of knee surgery and may not be ready anyway.

Reaction Score
I’ll be curious to see whether Dawn looks to the portal for an experienced big as we’ll be thin at the 5 next year. Watkins is more than capable but can be foul-prone. Even if she returns I don’t see Walker developing into an SEC-caliber post.

Could be a tough sell since Watkins is almost certainly the starter. If Serah Williams leaves Wisconsin I’d definitely give her a look, but that’s the only player I can think of.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I’ll be curious to see whether Dawn looks to the portal for an experienced big as we’ll be thin at the 5 next year. Watkins is more than capable but can be foul-prone. Even if she returns I don’t see Walker developing into an SEC-caliber post.

Could be a tough sell since Watkins is almost certainly the starter. If Serah Williams leaves Wisconsin I’d definitely give her a look, but that’s the only player I can think of.
I don’t think they need it. They have 6-5 freshman Tac who has enrolled early (though she’s coming off an injury) and Feagin is capable of playing center too. Dawn has SC locked and loaded. Even before Pao Pao announced she was coming back they had the best roster in the country returning.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Fulwiley is from Metro Columbia, along with Ashlyn Watkins and incoming Joyce Edwards. She isn't going anywhere.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Fulwiley and Dawn have one of those relationships… similar to the relationship she had with past players like Sessions, Mitchell, Wilson, Harris, Boston and now Feagin. Never say never, but she’s locked in on Dawn. And she’s for sure the starter in another year anyway. Playing behind Pao and learning her shooting technique/mindset (a lot of which she learned from KELSEY PLUM) is a bonus for Fulwiley …because I fully believe she’s capable of being one of the best overall players in the country by her senior year.

Also, Fulwiley’s mom was pretty excited about Paopao returning on social media, which is an example of how the parents have the same team first winning mindset that the players do. Testament to Dawn recruiting the whole and not just the individual. It’s really nice to see when team parents publicly support other players on the team that aren’t their own, and that’s a regular occurrence for this program.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score

These girls have bought into their roles. It's something Dawn is very good at. They are all happy or so it seems. The "winning big" can also play a big part of it. The Sarah Strong situation could be good because they return so much, or it could be bad because they return so much. Strong seems to be an unselfish team player so that may not bother to take a lesser role as a freshman. Feagin is the only real player that I think may bolt for playing time getting closer to her WNBA shot. That may not be an issue because Dawn has had as many as 5 drafted at a time and usually has multiple players drafted. It doesn't matter....they are loaded.

Reaction Score
These girls have bought into their roles. It's something Dawn is very good at. They are all happy or so it seems. The "winning big" can also play a big part of it. The Sarah Strong situation could be good because they return so much, or it could be bad because they return so much. Strong seems to be an unselfish team player so that may not bother to take a lesser role as a freshman. Feagin is the only real player that I think may bolt for playing time getting closer to her WNBA shot. That may not be an issue because Dawn has had as many as 5 drafted at a time and usually has multiple players drafted. It doesn't matter....they are loaded.
You and I are on the same wavelength here. My biggest concern is Feagin this off-season. Amihere is a special case because she is such an athlete that can defend and play 1-5. Feagin, while very athletic, isn't in that same category as Amihere, nor is she backing up a national player of the year type of player like Boston (though I think Watkins is capable with some off-season improvements) or a multi-year starter like Saxton. In fact she was passed by two younger players. I don't see a 1:1 comparison with the Amihere situation at all, which means she may need to prove herself next season if she wants to get drafted. And to do that, she may have to be a starter on a team with very little depth at the 4/5 spots, so that she can bolster her resume...thus I fear she may transfer.

Reaction Score

Next year we will have Feagin, Watkins, Kitts, Walker, Edwards and Tac as their 4/5s if they all come back. If somebody transfers she will for sure try to get a transfer but IDK if she will if they all stay.

Reaction Score
Next year we will have Feagin, Watkins, Kitts, Walker, Edwards and Tac as their 4/5s if they all come back. If somebody transfers she will for sure try to get a transfer but IDK if she will if they all stay.
Nah. We won’t have Tac . Well, not before Mew Year anyway.

Reaction Score
Nah. We won’t have Tac . Well, not before Mew Year anyway.
I would be surprised if Adhel is not ready by October preseason camp. Her procedure appears to be a relatively minor arthroscopic surger. She was moving around normally since she arrived on campus. The last 2-3 weeks since she got her operation, they stabilized her knee with a brace but even though they have her using crutches, she walks around placing weight on both her legs as if the crutches were more precautionary to maintain her balance.

Reaction Score
As it stands, this is plenty. Big names may become available, but I hope CDS doesn't chase unless a big is lost.

Reaction Score
Some will remember only the missed free throws, but I thought Jasmine Powell played phenomenal defense on PaoPao yesterday. If SC can run some sets to get her open more it could be an easy 6-9 points they missed yesterday. Flau’jae is probably LSU’s best perimeter defender and is certainly capable of shutting her matchup down but I’m not sure they have another good option if she gets into foul trouble.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
This thread lost steam just like SCar's men's bb team did today :confused:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member