2023-24 South Carolina regular season, Part 2 | Page 13 | The Boneyard

2023-24 South Carolina regular season, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I get your point, but I don't agree. It's a long season, everyone brings their A++ game when they play SC. Going undefeated thus far - just look at other top teams and their results - is remarkable. This youthful SC team has EXCEEDED all pre-season takes/predictions tenfold. It's all icing. I think they can learn just as much from a "close win" where they didn't play up to their standards. Cardoso has been gone, she's back with jetlag and still excelled against Georgia. Jah - no matter her playing time prior to being unvailable now - was still another player from the bench to put out there that created a spurt of energy. A "setback" isn't necessary to improve. Just my opinion.

Don't think Jah is any factor at all.

Cardoso being out probably was a little bit.

Reaction Score
Only 16,229 tonight didn’t help the run at Tennessee’ all time home attendance.

Nice to see Ashlynn step forward again in Kamilla’a absence. However, I think she has reached the max number of starts to qualify for “6th Player of the Year.”

Last edited:

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Dawn also mentioned the "not attending classes" as she talked about the process of being a starter. She said "You mention it to them and then you mention it again then you tell them you are not going to practice. Then you have to discipline them." I think that may have been the Jah problem. She would have no reason to bring that out unless it was on her mind.

Reaction Score
Dawn also mentioned the "not attending classes" as she talked about the process of being a starter. She said "You mention it to them and then you mention it again then you tell them you are not going to practice. Then you have to discipline them." I think that may have been the Jah problem. She would have no reason to bring that out unless it was on her mind.
Might be but it’s all just speculation, which does no good in an open forum IMO. We really have ZERO idea.

Reaction Score
Seems like , in the past, cutting classes was dealt with as a “violation of team rules. “ jah’s behavior has been described a “ conduct detrimental to team unity” - which sounds much more serious. Cutting classes was usually a one game sit rather than an indefinite suspension.

Reaction Score
So, no Kamilla again today. Ashlynn started again - and, in doing so eliminates her eligibility for 6th man of the year she went 6/6 and 1/1 for 13 minutes in 18 minutes. Seemed like kind of a waste in a 59 point win.

Oh well, we’re after a banner and rings not personal hardware.

Reaction Score
In the four games we have played without Cardoso - Missouri, Connecticut, @ Alabama, and @ Kentucky - we have held those opponents to 52.3 ppg, while averaging 85.3 ppg ourselves. We shot at an average of .489 from the field in those 4 games, plus .433 from beyond the 3-pt. arc, while holding those 4 opponents to .304 and .277, respectively. We averaged out-rebounding those 4 opponents 44.3 to 35.8 rpg.

I think missing Cardoso has impacted mostly the rebounding margin the most - shutting down opponent's shooting to one and done. Although the 33.0 MOV is certainly outstanding.

Today marks a week since Cardoso last played versus Georgia. Our next game versus Arkansas in Fayetteville will be Thursday, so she'll have more than a week in a half to rest up. I expect Kamilla to be fully rested and raring to go for that game, then for Tennessee to close out the season. But its still good to see the team performing so well without the services of its leading scorer, rebounder, and shot-blocker......

Reaction Score
Is it me.... do we seem to play better without Cardoso? I was worried about Cardoso not using her COVID year for next season but I think we'll be just fine next year in the frontcourt. I do hope Cardoso comes back but who knows.

Reaction Score
Is it me.... do we seem to play better without Cardoso? I was worried about Cardoso not using her COVID year for next season but I think we'll be just fine next year in the frontcourt. I do hope Cardoso comes back but who knows.
I think what you are seeing is that Kamilla is a piece. We have better rim protection on defense and offensively she’s there on put backs but she rarely shoots anywhere from 5 ft out so teams pack the paint which sometimes stifles our offense. We would not have beaten Tennessee without her, I don’t believe, because of their length. I do think with Sania, Ashlyn and Chloe that we are more versatile on offense. I think Dawn sees it too which will help immensely from here on.

I don’t think there’s any way Cardoso doesn’t go pro. She’ll be very good ant the pro level, and especially International ball. Right now she’s a Top 5 pick and could move up even more depending on who else above her decides to stay.

Reaction Score
IF Clark and Brink stay in College, would Indiana take Cardoso to go along with Boston?

Reaction Score
IF Clark and Brink stay in College, would Indiana take Cardoso to go along with Boston?
It's possible but improbable. The Fever do need another big to backup Boston and Smith, and Cardoso would be in the hunt. They've also signed another big in the off-season, so that would give them 5 bigs on their training roster prior to the draft. I could see them taking Cardoso to make that room more competitive but my hope is that Saxton takes her game to the next level and becomes a reliable backup. She is having an impressive season in Europe.

I really think Indiana needs another guard in the wing, so I think they would take Rikea Jackson over Cardoso if Brink and Clark stay for their Covid season.

Reaction Score
I'd feel bad for Aliyah if Clark sticks around. She'd be a perfect compliment. If both Clark and Bueckers take a fifth year, there's not really anybody else at the top that fits their biggest need.

Sidebar, but an extra year for '21 didn't make sense at the time and seems even sillier in retrospect.

Reaction Score
This SC team is better than last year. When they play in sync, no one in the nation can beat them. Key word is ….when

They appear to be working through the grind part of the schedule, and looked really sharp last game.

Reaction Score
When we consider who may or may not come out, I tend to think the international players are most likely to enter the draft if they are first rounders. It’s tied to the NIL rules about receiving compensation while on student Visas. The very talented international players watch as the US players make money in this new environment while they are restricted from doing so. It’s a huge piece to the puzzle folks.

Reaction Score
When we consider who may or may not come out, I tend to think the international players are most likely to enter the draft if they are first rounders. It’s tied to the NIL rules about receiving compensation while on student Visas. The very talented international players watch as the US players make money in this new environment while they are restricted from doing so. It’s a huge piece to the puzzle folks.
It can be, but it depends on what that international player deems important to their career long term. For example, Yvonne Ejim of Gonzaga is coming back. Per comments from Coach Walz, it sounds like Merrisah Russell is also returning. They could be leveraging that 5th to get another degree, which can be just as valuable to them long term.

Reaction Score
It can be, but it depends on what that international player deems important to their career long term. For example, Yvonne Ejim of Gonzaga is coming back. Per comments from Coach Walz, it sounds like Merrisah Russell is also returning. They could be leveraging that 5th to get another degree, which can be just as valuable to them long term.
Like I said, potential first round international players…….come on now, read my post again. It makes a huge difference based upon their draft prospects. Simple stuff.

Reaction Score
Like I said, potential first round international players…….come on now, read my post again. It makes a huge difference based upon their draft prospects. Simple stuff.
I read your post and it doesn't matter if they're first rounder in my opinion. With how things are working out for draftees getting onto a WNBA roster, it's a crap shoot.

An extra degree at no charge versus not making the roster and having to survive on 10 day contracts just to stay relevant during a season? Come on now, don't assume being a first rounder guarantees a career in the W in its current form.

Reaction Score
I read your post and it doesn't matter if they're first rounder in my opinion. With how things are working out for draftees getting onto a WNBA roster, it's a crap shoot.

An extra degree at no charge versus not making the roster and having to survive on 10 day contracts just to stay relevant during a season? Come on now, don't assume being a first rounder guarantees a career in the W in its current form.

I think a 6'7 rim runner is a pretty strong bet and certainly will make money overseas, but that's just a feeling mostly.

Reaction Score
I think a 6'7 rim runner is a pretty strong bet and certainly will make money overseas, but that's just a feeling mostly.
Overseas is a totally different matter. The poster I replied to was focused on the WNBA which I believe Cardoso should find no trouble making the roster of the team that drafts her.

At the same time, it's presumptuous to assume first rounders are guaranteed roster spots when drafted nowadays. This is why I noted that some may opt to stay another year and take advantage of getting another degree while on scholarship.

Reaction Score
98-61 final. The “bench” out scored Ark’s team 64-61
I'm not too surprised by that. Our style of play seems to be kryptonite to the way Mike Neighbors recruits and likes for his teams to play.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I'm not too surprised by that. Our style of play seems to be kryptonite to the way Mike Neighbors recruits and likes for his teams to play.
Exactly this. Their style plays into exactly what we’re good at. Launching from three (and missing) every trip down the court leads to a lot of long rebounds and transition points, our strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom