2017 Recruiting Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

2017 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Looks like I missed this one last week:

jordan_mcafeeMar 22, 5:12pm via Twitter for iPhone
I'm truly blessed to receive an offer from University of Connecticut#StriveForGreatness#GrindHardStayHumble

Jordan McAfee is a 6-4 200lb Pro-Style QB from Everett High School in Everett MA. Other offer from BC.

jordan_mcafee 7:21pm via Twitter for iPhone
I'm Proud to Announce My Commitment to play at University of Connecticut #UConnNation
6.jpg

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
You know that no matter what he's dropping a star rating minimum just for committing to UConn and maybe another star minimum for committing to UConn over BC. Then at some point @Farrell or @HartfordHank will be here saying that his offer from BC was non-commitable.

Reaction Score
For what it's worth he couldn't have committed to BC but I don't think that's really much to do with his talent as it is the coaching changes on offense. Loeffler has different guys he wants versus what Fitch had. I know he had some struggles last season but I believe he had mono so that would explain a lot of them. He's pretty raw but there's a really high upside to this kid. Nice pickup.

Reaction Score
For what it's worth he couldn't have committed to BC but I don't think that's really much to do with his talent as it is the coaching changes on offense. Loeffler has different guys he wants versus what Fitch had. I know he had some struggles last season but I believe he had mono so that would explain a lot of them. He's pretty raw but there's a really high upside to this kid. Nice pickup.
I would think this kid is Loeffler's style of QB...he definitely fits the style Addazio had at UF when he was OC and at Temple.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

So they offered him but he couldn't have committed? How does that work? Guess he just had to commit to UConn. Poor kid had no other options.

Reaction Score
Wow. Of all the QB kids commit Diaco has gotten, his film looks the best. Listed as a Pro Style but he moves well.

Rivals has him as the 3rd rated player in Mass. I hope we get #4 as well.

Reaction Score
rob_king310:18pm via Twitter for iPhone
Blessed To receive my 3rd offer from the university of Connecticut #Huskies #Uconn

Rob King is a 6-1 180lb Safety/QB/Athlete from Father Judge High School in Philadelphia PA. Other present offers are from Temple and Army. Rob was up @ UConn for Junior Day today.

247 blurb after he visited Penn State for their Jr. Day last month:
>>Father Judge QB/DB Rob King - Philadelphia (Pa.) Father Judge athlete Rob King was offered by Temple last month. Penn State reached out shortly thereafter and he earned a Junior Day invited. “The visit was great,” he said. “They said they really liked my film and that the like me as a quarterback and defensive back. [Penn State] was great and the things they’re adding to the facilities are nice.” Army also offered the three-star prospect as a quarterback last week and Boston College and Navy also have expressed interest.<<

Last edited:
Reaction Score
2017 UConn Offer List:
  1. Tarik Black (WR) – Cheshire Academy, Cheshire CT
  2. Deon Jones (CB) – Archbishop Carrol High School, Washington DC
  3. Aapril Washington (DB) – Southlake Christian Academy, Huntersville NC
  4. Isaiah Wilson (OL) Brooklyn Poly Prep, Brooklyn, NY
  5. C.J. Holmes (RB/CB) – Cheshire Academy, Cheshire CT
  6. Alexander Marshall (TE/DE) - Andover High School, Andover MA
  7. Trevon Grimes (WR) – St. Thomas Aquinas, Ft Lauderdale Florida
  8. D. Major Roman (TE/LB) – New London High School, New London CT
  9. Brandon Sabastian (Ath) – West Haven HS/Cheshire Academy Cheshire CT
  10. Sam Vretman (OL) – Rocky Mountain HS Idaho/Cheshire Academy Cheshire CT
  11. C.J. Lewis (DT QB) – Cheshire Academy, Cheshire CT
  12. Ben Mason (LB/FB) - Newtown High School, Newtown CT
  13. Kameron Jones (LB) - Peachtree Ridge High School, Suwanee, GA
  14. Jeremiah Stafford (OL) - North Marion High School , Citra, Florida
  15. Aaron Hackett (TE) - Venice High School, Venice Florida
  16. Ifeatu Melifonwu (WR/CB) - Grafton High School, Grafton MA.
  17. Kasim Hill (PS QB) - Gilman High School, Baltimore MD
  18. Ethan Wiederkehr (DE/TE) - Shoreham Wading River High School, Shoreham NY
  19. Markquese Bell (WR/FS) - Bridgeton High School, Bridgeton New Jersey
  20. Collin Smith (QB/RB/Safety/Athlete) - Ligonier Valley High School, Ligonier, PA
  21. Andrew Stueber (OL) - Darien High School, Darien CT
  22. Bo Melton ( WR/ATH) - Cedar Creek High School, Egg Harbor City, New Jersey
  23. Kenny Pickett (DT QB) - Ocean Township High School, Oakhurst New Jersey
  24. Mason Cholewa (DE/DT) - Montour High School, McKees Rock PA
  25. Jeffrey Hubbard (CB) - Woodward Academy, College Park GA
  26. Rob Saulin (DE/TE) - Pennsville Memorial High School, Pennsville New Jersey
  27. Rob King (Safety/QB/Athlete) - Father Judge High School, Philadelphia PA.
  28. Jordan McAfee (PS QB) - Everett High School, Everett MA (UConn Commit 4/2/16)
  29. Isaiah McDuffie (LB/RB) - Bennett High School, Buffalo New York (Syracuse Commit 7/20/15)
  30. J.T. Cauthen (WR) - Cuthbertson High School, Waxhaw NC (UNC Commit 1/5/16)
  31. Jack Coan (PS QB) - Sayville High School, Sayville New York (Wisconsin Commit 3/24/16)
  32. A.J. Dillon (RB/LB) - Lawrence Academy, Groton MA (Michigan Commit 3/28/17)
  33. Tommy Christ (DE/T) - Dominion High School, Sterling VA (UVA Commit 4/2/16)

Reaction Score
pjwise915 1:39pm via Twitter for iPhone
Can't wait to get back to UCONN on Saturday really felt like a home away from home #Work2Win

Peter Wise is a 6-5 290lb OG/OT from The Brunswick School in Greenwich CT. I don't see an offer yet - has been up to UConn and appears to have attended a number of Junior Days (Baylor, Illinois, BC, Syracuse).

Whatever works ;)

pjwise915 12:53pm via Twitter for iPhone
UCONN has had the best food in any college dinning hall hands down...

pjwise915 3:20pm via Twitter for iPhone
Always good to be back...... @ReardonCoach @UConnFootball#Work2Win

Reaction Score
So they offered him but he couldn't have committed? How does that work? Guess he just had to commit to UConn. Poor kid had no other options.
It's pretty simple. There's a new offensive staff and he's no longer a priority I guess if you wanted to be technical he really doesn't have an offer anymore he couldn't commit to BC if he wanted to. Too many QBs BC has a good shot at ahead of him on Loefflers board. Again I'm not knocking the kid I think he's got a high upside and comes from a winning program. I believe he had mono this past season so I'm assume that slowed down his recruitment especially since most who saw him play thought he regressed some last year. Understandable due to the mono. Personally I think he winds up a steal for you. But I also agree with the BC staff having guys like Jack Sears ahead of him.

Reaction Score
It's pretty simple. There's a new offensive staff and he's no longer a priority I guess if you wanted to be technical he really doesn't have an offer anymore he couldn't commit to BC if he wanted to. Too many QBs BC has a good shot at ahead of him on Loefflers board. Again I'm not knocking the kid I think he's got a high upside and comes from a winning program. I believe he had mono this past season so I'm assume that slowed down his recruitment especially since most who saw him play thought he regressed some last year. Understandable due to the mono. Personally I think he winds up a steal for you. But I also agree with the BC staff having guys like Jack Sears ahead of him.
I just watched a HUDL video on Sears...there is NO WAY you can tell me he isn't the same style QB as McAfee. Both play in a spread type set w/ all their snaps in the shotgun, both make things happen with their feet. Loeffler is a spread type coach, Addazio is a spread type guy. Good luck with getting a kid like Jack Sears, the other teams on his list have MUCH more stable coaching situations.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
So how exactly does this work?

Does Daz (or some other coach) say "Hey kid, we like you and think you have some talent, the thing is, we can't use you. If you want to tell people we offered you, feel free. You just can't accept the offer because it isn't real."?

Reaction Score

Does Daz (or some other coach) say "Hey kid, we like you and think you have some talent, the thing is, we can't use you. If you want to tell people we offered you, feel free. You just can't accept the offer because it isn't real."?

Not to defend the BC trolls, but this happens quite often.

"You are our 3rd quarterback on the board, we're going to offer you a scholarship, but will only accept your commitment if the previous 2 QBs commit elsewhere"

Even we do it....ever wonder why a guy who has had an offer for months with no other offers finally commits in December or even January? It's because we were holding out to see if someone higher on our board committed first.

It all doesn't matter now anyways, all offers being reported are verbal and until the recruit gets an actual written offer in August it's kind of funny money

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

"You are our 3rd quarterback on the board, we're going to offer you a scholarship, but will only accept your commitment if the previous 2 QBs commit elsewhere"

Even we do it....ever wonder why a guy who has had an offer for months with no other offers finally commits in December or even January? It's because we were holding out to see if someone higher on our board committed first.

It all doesn't matter now anyways, all offers being reported are verbal and until the recruit gets an actual written offer in August it's kind of funny money
So you're telling me that in our staff's eyes McAffee really hasn't accepted an offer from UConn? That UConn's offer wasn't real as we can still bring in another QB?

I know of many cases where a school lets a kid know they have interest, beginning late winter/early spring of that kid's junior year in HS, yet do not extend an offer until six, eight, ten months later. I know of many cases where for a position where likely they will only bring in one recruit, they will offer two or three kids and let each know, the first to accept gets the scholarship. I also know of cases where a kid is offered, accepts and later in the game someone falls into the school's lap at the same position, leaving the school to tell the initial acceptance that as things have changed, he may want to look elsewhere for a better opportunity.

If this kid was someone's third, I imagine the offer would not have been extended this early in the game.

Reaction Score

Gotta love those BC "uncommitable" offers @FfldCntyFan.

Reaction Score

I have no idea if this BC Fan is full of * regarding Mcafee or not, but the non committable "offer" is sadly a real thing. In modern day recruiting a verbal offer is really no more than a school/coach's declaration of interest in you as a prospect. Consider a school like Tennessee that routinely sends out upwards of 200+ verbal offers every season for approx 25 spots. If they have 25 offers out for a CB with only 3 spots available in the class, odds are there are kids who are going to be slow played while certain prospects wait to make their decisions. Its a bit unsavory, but it goes on almost everywhere.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I have no idea if this BC Fan is full of * regarding Mcafee or not, but the non committable "offer" is sadly a real thing. In modern day recruiting a verbal offer is really no more than a school/coach's declaration of interest in you as a prospect. Consider a school like Tennessee that routinely sends out upwards of 200+ verbal offers every season for approx 25 spots. If they have 25 offers out for a CB with only 3 spots available in the class, odds are there are kids who are going to be slow played while certain prospects wait to make their decisions. Its a bit unsavory, but it goes on almost everywhere.

Yup... The Murky Waters of “Committable” Offers – Otto's Grove

It is quite funny that seemingly every time a kid selects UConn over BC in a sport - a beagle slug inevitably shows up here and tells us it's because their offer was non-committable. BC!

Reaction Score
Folks get way to caught up with this. Nobody really knows what these kids have for offers. The recruiting sites go by what the kids tell them as they have nothing else to go by.

The fact of the matter is, fanbases like BC and Syracuse like to think they have a huge advantage in recruiting and, therefore, talent. They don't. Yes, the ACC is a recruiting advantage over the AAC, but when your home is at the bottom rung of a P5 ladder, programs like UCONN can be very competitive. I've said this a million times, the recruiting sites capture the top 10-20 programs that have considerable advantages in recruiting, after that it's pretty much a crap shoot. Splitting hairs on these stars is not meaningful and there is a fair amount of fiction in the offers.

If I were a BC fan I would be a hell of a lot more concerned about Adazzio's staff being able to develop OLmen then whether UCONN picks up a desired recruit from Mass. Because as soon as the OL talent he inherited graduated, the offense was a total disaster. That OL plays like that next season and BC will be lucky to out recruit UMASS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom